Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

98/100. I have failed once again.

Need to see La La Land and True Romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Irtsy posted:

I've tried for the last ten minutes to figure out how or why they've listed the films they have, and the only thing I can come up with is that Empire simply polled their offices and came up with something based on votes. They also probably tossed in some "classics" in order to spice it up.

These lists are created in different ways. There are some lists out there with a ton of older films and then a few unheralded films released in the last few years with little exposure.

In those situations it's obvious someone is trying to hype newer releases.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Irtsy posted:

That makes sense. Do you have any guesses on why the films are in the spots they are? Lists like this usually give no explanation to their ordering. Even some of the lists I personally respect lack a good explanation and they seem to mainly just poll people within the industry to determine what films make the cut. I guess it boils down to personal preference most of the time, whether the author of the list realizes it or not. Wouldn't you want the people reading to understand why you're taking the time to even order them in the first place?

Empire's was done by polling so it's dominated by well-known, high-grossing and recent films. I'd guess the rankings are based simply on how many votes a film received.

The IMDb top 250 uses a weighted rating (factoring in star rating and number of votes) to make its list. There's been controversy with that one as a lot of Indian films aren't included on the list. It seems preferential treatment has been given to new Hollywood releases. Also, there's been accusations of bots voting on a lot of these sites.

Other lists are just curated by the whims of a single person.

• Locked thread