Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

silencekit posted:

Is there a way I can manually tell my PC to stay connected on the 5 GHz band and not switch to 2.4 GHz? Or is there a way anyone can think of to find whatever it is that is telling my computer to make that switch?

Are your 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands named the same? If so, I would recommend naming them differently (perhaps just put 2.4/5 on the end of the SSID name), I've had issues when broadcasting both bands with the same SSID name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

silencekit posted:

That's interesting. I have no idea. Is that something I can see/edit on my ISP site?

Do you have your own router, or do you use one supplied by your ISP? Typically there's a management page you can access via the address of the router, which should be listed as the default gateway on your NIC (if you go to the commandline and do ipconfig /all you can find it). I'm not sure what kind of access you can get to it if it's owned by your ISP.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 26, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008

silencekit posted:

Hmm, yeah I'm pretty sure it's owned by our ISP, but I will double check with my roommates. Am I wasting my time to call my ISP and try to explain this issue to them? It's not the kind of thing they would be able to assist with, is it?

Not sure, if they own it and they configure it (and lock you out of the configuration) then it would be their problem, but if you have access to the configuration you should be able to do it yourself, though I'd be willing to bet the ISP could help you anyway, since there are plenty of people out there that have no clue what a router is, much less how to access it via a webpage.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ProjektorBoy posted:

The 2.4Ghz network is easily crowded and it's not unusual for an adapter to freak out while trying to maintain connection to a 2.4 network among the noise. I'm not at all surprised to see 5Ghz be the part that works best.

In spite of Qualcomm Atheros being usually pretty nice, it may be a good idea to try a different wireless adapter. You may even want to snag a wireless bridge if the problem persists. I don't think the issue is with the PC or OS itself.

That said, disable the Windows Firewall. The one on your router probably works just fine.

Also, your ISP should have firewall services enabled as well.

Flat out, wireless sucks, it's good in theory, but is a pain in the rear end.

2.4GHz band sucks because, as everyone else said, in the USA we have 3 useful channels and when you live in a city where there are 10 residences within 150' of you, you're going to have a bad time.

5GHz is a little better, but due to the wave patterns it doesn't penetrate walls well, a wall that is drywall? It'll probably be fine, 2-3 walls of drywall? You're probably hosed. A wall of concrete/block? Turbofucked. 5GHz also doesn't have the range that 2.4GHz does, so even with clear line of sight, signal strength will drop after a shorter distance than 2.4 would.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

silencekit posted:

Have attempted both of these fixes with no results. Tried several wireless adapters. Same results. :/ I haven't tried a wireless bridge. Is there one you can recommend? Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah, it's just baffling to me that neither of my roommates have any connection issues. One of my roommates uses the WiFi on the other side of 2 additional walls and a hallway, and he doesn't have any issues with it. Seems to me like that localizes it to my computer, but that doesn't make sense either.

Yeah, poo poo's weird, you could run something like inSSIDer (I think it's still free) from your computer and your roommates and see if there's more/less interference somewhere, then have roommate move his computer into your spot.

Or just settle with 5GHz working, or you could do powerline adapters to get a repeater right next to your computer and then 2.4 would (probably) be usable.

• Locked thread