Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Finally finished building my first computer. Unfortunately, it isn't booting properly or something. No signal goes out to the monitor via VGA or HDMI. There's power to all of the fans as well as to the USB connected peripherals. I would assume it's the monitor, but I can connect it to a cable box via HDMI and get signal from it. I did take it to a computer shop for a diagnostic and said they could get the BIOS to load so idk if they were just pulling my leg or what. I'll probably take it to another repair place and ask them to check it and boot it for me if it works. But as it stands, I'm sorta at a loss.

New problem: Trying to install Windows 7 from USB seems to deactivate the USB keyboard and mouse so I cannot actually proceed with installation. Controlling the BIOS is 100% doable, but getting Windows seems to be the new hump.

Current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zhD77h

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Did you plug int the 6-pin power connector to the graphics card from the power supply? This will be a totally separate cable that should be included with the power supply (possibly with the card itself but I think the power supply)

Have a picture: http://imgur.com/a/YjZm7

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MF_James posted:

Did you plug int the 6-pin power connector to the graphics card from the power supply? This will be a totally separate cable that should be included with the power supply (possibly with the card itself but I think the power supply)

Have a picture: http://imgur.com/a/YjZm7

Yup. Fans for the graphics card turn on so I know power is going to it. CPU is plugged in and is heating up too afaict

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Xelkelvos posted:

Yup. Fans for the graphics card turn on so I know power is going to it. CPU is plugged in and is heating up too afaict

If you have onboard graphics, hook the monitor up to it via VGA and ensure you get a display. If onboard graphics works, ensure you've seated the card fully and try a different slot if you have one available (you should).

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Do you need a 8 pin +12v for your motherboard? It might help to take a good, well lit picture of the inside of your case and the power connections.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Took it to Geek Squad and it turned out I just needed to mash the F2 key to enter the boot menu and wake up the monitor.

Ofc, I now can't seem to boot from a USB stick to install Windows 7 since the USB keyboard and mouse stop working once the Install Windows screen pops up and I have no PC/2 devices.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Now that I have a converter, I get the "driver missing" error and I don't know how to turn off USB3.0 because the having the Ryzen CPU changes the BIOS menu and seems to route those options through its menu and seems to only be decipherable by someone far more :goonsay: than I am. FFS

• Locked thread