Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Problem description: When I play a YouTube video in any browser, the "background sound" works fine but any voices are low volume and mumbled. If the voice is over a sound, say a World of Warships commentator is talking about blowing a ship up, and it blows up as he describes it, the voice comes through at almost normal volume but drops as soon as the explosion is over. All game sounds work fine, windows action sounds work fine and if I select my default audio device to my headphones, YouTube videos play perfectly.

Attempted fixes: Updated all drivers via AVG driver updater, ran virus scanner, read way more stupid Google comments than I care to admit.

Recent changes: No hardware changes but I did notice that there had been a Windows security update done automatically. I checked all the updates and there did not appear to be any sound related ones.

--

Operating system: Windows 7

System specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Gaming graphics 9962 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk 6GB Free (111GB Total)
Windows 7 Professional

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model Z87X-D3H
Total amount of system memory 16.0 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 1155 GB
Disk partition (C:) 6 GB Free (111 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 24 GB Free (112 GB Total)
Disk partition (E:) 709 GB Free (932 GB Total)
Media drive (F:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Total available graphics memory 9962 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 2048 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 7914 MB
Display adapter driver version 22.21.13.8205
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
That's very odd. The kind of sound you're describing reminds me of Out of Phase sound. I can't think of any other reason why some parts of the sound come through and others don't. Sometimes having a wire not pushed in all the way or a broken or weak wire can cause it (I've experienced both) You might not notice it if the audio doesn't use stereo channels that cancel out.

Here's a YouTube video about it (if you can hear it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc1Z1ck9hKQ

You might want to try listen to some music you know very well and see if any parts of the music drop out. Then it'll be clearer if you're out of phase or not. The effects can be interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kmqwUwPlA0

Or maybe that's not it at all, but that's my guess.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 16, 2017

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
1. Uninstall everything from AVG from your system. None of that is any good.

2. Install the latest audio drivers from the Realtek website.

3. Make sure your speaker mode matches what is actually connected, so if you have Stereo speakers it is set to Stereo.

4. If it still doesn't work, reseat the speaker cable at both ends.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Alereon posted:

1. Uninstall everything from AVG from your system. None of that is any good.

2. Install the latest audio drivers from the Realtek website.

3. Make sure your speaker mode matches what is actually connected, so if you have Stereo speakers it is set to Stereo.

4. If it still doesn't work, reseat the speaker cable at both ends.

1. Not going to make a difference as it happened before hand but OK.

2. Already done.

3. Already done.

4. Already done.

• Locked thread