Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If the jell-o puddin' doesn't fit, you must acquit.

I don't think it's possible to give a fair trial to a celebrity, their fame assures that any juror who hasn't been living under a rock for decades will have some kind of preconceived opinion on the case, good or bad, going in. Maybe famous people should fall under the jurisdiction of military tribunals because it's nigh impossible to select an impartial jury while upholding their right to a fast trial. Or maybe mob rule, but that has negative connotations thanks to racists abusing it.

No solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah and the so-called 'civil rights' police negligence lawyers whose website story says they went into law school after being victim of biased police conduct for themselves as a poor college student, yet ask for $600/hr even though they have less than 10 years experience and this isn't NYC. Chalk them up as being scum as well.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
A lack of a decision hasn't stopped Cosby before.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

i like that posted:

Oh yeah and the so-called 'civil rights' police negligence lawyers whose website story says they went into law school after being victim of biased police conduct for themselves as a poor college student, yet ask for $600/hr even though they have less than 10 years experience and this isn't NYC. Chalk them up as being scum as well.

All of your points sound like they are pointing towards a specific trial in your life. Perhaps one that went poorly for you. lol

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if giving a female drugs and having sex with her is rape, everyone in Hollywood is a rapist

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

super sweet best pal posted:

I don't think it's possible to give a fair trial to a celebrity

It's also not possible to give a fair trial in any rape case with even the slightest publicity

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

i like that posted:

maybe if your username wasn't "i like that" less bad things would happen and you'd have a stronger case

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

i like that posted:

Anyone who actually complains about 'civil rights' in this day and age is scum.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Kiryen posted:

You are just riled up today aren't you

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ein cooler Typ posted:

if giving a female drugs and having sex with her is rape, everyone in Hollywood is a rapist

Hollywood is full of rapists

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

zip zop zoobity bop,

they took some qualuuds and sucked on his puddin pop

but hey, it was consensual!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
They should have called it Rapewood

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

WatermelonGun posted:

You are just riled up today aren't you

A little. I should prbably bang the wife tonight. thanks for the advice, friend.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

They find themselves paralyzed, unable to act when dealing with Cosby.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kiryen posted:

PRobably because proof beyond a reasonable doubt doesn't work by just getting more people to make the same accusation, idiot
Those other accusations weren't admissible as evidence. Trials are weird.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Kiryen posted:

A little. I should prbably bang the wife tonight. thanks for the advice, friend.

Trust me she's already tuckered out

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kiryen posted:

Nice train avatar guy who cries about gender studies and college student leftists

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

WatermelonGun posted:

Trust me she's already tuckered out

I know, I do that to her on a daily basis.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

i like that posted:

Nice train avatar guy who cries about gender studies and college student leftists

Really plumbing the depths of irrelevancy here, aren't we?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Sex assault is A-OK. It's the new pussy-grabbin law of the land.

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

do train avatars mean something? i can't keep up

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

CAN U FEEL IT YEAH posted:

do train avatars mean something? i can't keep up

Only to convicted felons

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Isn't that swimmer who straight up raped a girl behind a dumpster with not 1 but 2 witnesses already back out? Maybe Cosby should have just hired that dude's lawyer and read a couple books in jail while the whole thing blew over.

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

Kiryen posted:

Only to convicted felons

so i'll be acquitted?? oh thank god!

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

i like that fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 17, 2017

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
AFAIK there are no statutes of limitation in Canada because we're not idiots and people who commit heinous crimes like raping woman or molesting children should go to prison period

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

They find themselves paralyzed, unable to act when dealing with Cosby.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Do it ironically posted:

AFAIK there are no statutes of limitation in Canada because we're not idiots and people who commit heinous crimes like raping woman or molesting children should go to prison period

Wait, is this true? This is very unsettling.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
did you now: the statue of libitation was a gift from france??? :wth:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Do it ironically posted:

lol yeah canada also takes insanely obviously fake rape claims at face value and sets out to ruin people's lives both before and after they're declared innocent

see: ghomeshi

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Lmao that guys is a loving loser great example, I bet if Canada had guns we would be safer too right? Lmao just lmao

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i bet you believed that rollingstone girls story lmao

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
yes cosby did it but he was posessed by demons

client
Aug 19, 2010

Do it ironically posted:

karla homolka still managed to brutally own the canadian legal system

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Do it ironically posted:

statute of limitations is loving retarded you americans are retarded lmao loving pedophiles can't be put in jail investigator just goes WELP it's been 15 years plus one day guess he got away!

it probably has a really noble origin story like some motherfucker got a long stupid sentence for something old and relatively trivial like a really old minor theft being prosecuted towards the end of an offenders life for the maximum sentence, and some other dude with some darker poo poo going on managed to make it a normal legal thing.

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

it probably has a really noble origin story like some motherfucker got a long stupid sentence for something old and relatively trivial like a really old minor theft being prosecuted towards the end of an offenders life for the maximum sentence, and some other dude with some darker poo poo going on managed to make it a normal legal thing.

been used in most legal institutions since roman times

quote:

Such statutes are enacted to protect persons against claims made after disputes have become stale, evidence has been lost, memories have faded, or witnesses have disappeared. Statutes of limitations appeared early in Roman law and form the basis of the limitations provided in the codes of civil-law countries.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
tbf If you could like murder someone and the police can't catch you for 20 years its fair enough to say that you've won

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

i like that posted:

I was the complainant in a criminal matter. I have many convictions but none in the legal sense

Of course you were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Do it ironically posted:

I too believe it is a good idea to allow people to be prosecuted for crimes long after evidence could reasonably be preserved, just because the "victim" is the member of a class we have been told is magically special.

• Locked thread