Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
They attempted a possession procedure but Ottos psyche won't relinquish his brain to the north Korean state wizard struggling to exert total influence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Blue Train posted:

I'm honestly curious who those that disagree with me are going to blame for this cause it's obviously warm beers fault. Is Kim jong un to blame? China? I mean wtf

punishment doesn't fit the crime

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
One might say the brain death punishment for stealing a banner is cruel and unusual

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
he was hardcore asking for it

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Psycho Society posted:

Idk if you can really call NK tourism dangerous because of oppressive regime when Dubai and the UAE are so popular and are built on taking passports from immigrants and using them as slave labor

tbf what did those nepalese migrant workers expect looking for work in qatar

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
State oppression and murder of civilians is cool...sometimes

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Haha nah I'm kidding it's never cool or deserved. I don't care what kind of person gets tossed into a prison labor camp or gets the poo poo beat out of them by police officers it's wrong every time it happens

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Blue Train posted:

If you go there you hosed up and bear responsibility for what happens

This is true.

It is also true that what happened to Otto is heartbreaking and nobody deserves that fate.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Don't worry, death prison is just a name. You actually retain most of your sustaining biological functions

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Cymoril posted:

Do we know what actually happened to him?

No and we probably never will. Doctors ruled out trauma (no evidence in tests) but there are other forms of mistreatment that could cut off oxygen that wouldn't leave evidence. Or it could have been a natural cardiac arrest/asphyxiation situation.

Whatever happened that lead to his brain not getting enough oxygen, nk waited too long to resuscitate him and that's what liquefied his brain.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Blue Train posted:

He was jerkin it, happens to the best of us

*guards walk past Ottos cell where he's strung up by the neck, prick in hand, tongue lolling*

"Let's wait til he's finished, it's the humane thing to do"

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Nobody deserves nk slave camp/brain death.

It was an expected outcome of vacationing in North Korea, not a deserved outcome

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I'm not offended. It's funny in a cosmically gruesome way.

people itt should focus more on that part and less on basking in the mistreatment they think he deserved.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Would you tell anybody in real life you think Otto deserved what happened?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
If you break the law in this country you might get brutally messed up by the state. Sometimes over dumb poo poo too.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

facebook jihad posted:

I keep going between 'goddam what a horrible fate' and 'goddam how stupid do you have to be to wind up in a situation like his' that I don't really know how I feel about it.

You can feel both. It was a dumb as hell thing to do and also a horrible nightmarish fate.

It's like a Coen bros movie

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
That's just standard middle class Ohioan attire.

We're generally sturdy folk, present topic of conversation not included, if not the most fashionable

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Psycho Society posted:

[genesplicer voice] good news, everyone! I've probated our most active photoshop contributer and I only had to dig through posts made a week ago to do it!

"Reposting a tweet without a comment of any sort. User loses posting privileges for 1 day"

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

I feel real bad for the family. This dude has been in a coma for over a year but they strung the family along with false hope because north Korea knew they couldnt pull this poo poo with obama

What you think Obama didn't know he was outto order?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
wouldnt hanging have dealt lasting internal trauma that an mri would pick up?

quote:

The real question would be what the doctors believe to be the cause of said cardiopulmonary arrest. They said there was no evidence of trauma, including scars or fractures, which would be evident in imaging tests even after they’ve healed. Even in the hands of forensic pathologists, the exact etiology may never be known with certainty. Though no obvious explanation involves humane treatment and attentive medical care. Even if the 22-year-old simply suffered a (very rare) cardiac arrest of some organic cause, brain injury this severe would mean that he was not resuscitated for a prolonged period.

The explanation that came from North Korea was that the cause was a combination of botulism and ingesting “sleeping pills.” The food-born botulism toxin would not directly account for the damage to the brain. Rather, it paralyzes the muscles of the body, and that can involve the thorax to such a degree that it will stop a person’s breathing. This is a common cause of death in people with untreated botulism. The Ohio doctors said yesterday there was “no evidence” the young man had botulism—though if this happened a year ago, the toxin would be gone from his body and no evidence may remain.

Overdosing on a sedative or opiate could also suppress a person’s breathing to the point that brain tissue dies. The combination of explanations is not implausible.

But neither is it exculpatory. Botulism is treatable; an antidote to the toxin can be administered. Even in the absence of that antidote, cardiac resuscitation and ventilatory support can supply blood to the brain of an acutely paralyzed person.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/06/could-botulism-cause-severe-brain-injury/530586/

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

This is a Steak and Shake, sir

Gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

SpaceClown posted:

Shut the hell up steak and shake has the best fast food fries

Steak n shake fries are like eating hair

• Locked thread