Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

stay safe nooner ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Just reread the thread after the coffee wore off, pretty sure we're all going to hell, guys.

That's what coffee does to you? drat breh

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

I hope you enjoyed the thread, man :)

:discourse:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
North Korea's not that dangerous, actually

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah generally NK is pretty good at keeping the executing to their own citizens

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Like how much more likely is a tourist to get attacked or abducted or killed in NK compared to Mexico, or Brazil, or other popular spots? It's probably much less, I'm guessing

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Idk if you can really call NK tourism dangerous because of oppressive regime when Dubai and the UAE are so popular and are built on taking passports from immigrants and using them as slave labor

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
In this comparison the north koreans in prison camps are being compared to immigrant workers, not white boys

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

5 Americans go to North Korea, 1 comes back with the IQ of something sold in Ikea

1,000,000 Americans go to Mexico and Brazil, 50 are victims of crime

"Gee guys North Korea seems safe" - a person who is not smart, to say the least

Since 1996 here have been 18 westerners imprisoned in north korea for various lengths of time, most of those being ethnically korean. About 5,000 westerners go there every year. How many of those have died? How many tourists visiting mexico have died?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Anyway the point i'm making is because you weird fucks keep saying otto should have known he would be killed for loving with some poster or whatever it was, when there had been a sum total of zero tourists ever killed after visiting north korea. The people imprisoned there were tried for trying to enter north korea illegally, or converting locals to a religion, or espionage. In all but 3 cases they were let out before a year.

There is no argument you can make that being strangled or drowned to death is not 100% unprecedented, and any unironic sentiment that he knew what he was getting into is coming from a very hosed up and spiteful place

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You have a much greater chance of getting killed visiting mexico than you do north korea. Getting imprisoned for 200 days after passing out bibles is not the same thing as getting drowned to death

Btw

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/world/asia/americans-visit-north-korea-despite-warnings.html?_r=0 posted:

The State Department does not keep records on how many Americans visit North Korea. Of the 4,000 to 5,000 Western tourists who visit each year, about 20 percent come from the United States, said Simon Cockerell, general manager of Koryo Tours, a travel company in Beijing.

Apparently not everyone agrees with the 16 americans per decade thing? weird

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

"This is a good hill to die on, comrade"

"oh god, someone is arguing on the internet... please... n-no...."

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You'll notice I don't actually give a gently caress what you think, and the photoshops in this thread are pretty drat funny. Good talk, bud

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Trunko posted:

I knew a rich kid who would get drunk with his buddies and one night they went and stole a state troopers jet ski. His dad paid for good lawyers and he ended up getting off. His dad also paid for flight school for the kid while this was all going on and now the rich kid is an even richer airline pilot married to a beautiful girl and banging other beautiful women around the world.

The basis of humor is suprise so part of what makes the Otto story so funny is how the rich kid gets dunked on in the end

He was probably dunked in, a toilet, until he was dead

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
If you had to be violently drowned until you courted brain death, would you pick one of those cute conscripted north korean girls to do it?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

SpaceClown posted:

Does surviving sarin make you retarded?

Maybe if you don't get that sweet atropine quickly enough

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

I hope it wasn't from repeatedly choking on Kim Jongs dick.

Can you breathe while sucking on a ring pop?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
North korean girls are cuter imo. Worth it just for that

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
The only catch is they might try to eat my dog or skin it for a fur coat or something.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

(the authors are self-described "race realists" describing their theory that intelligence is inversely correlated with penis size)

Heh heh

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Trunko posted:

Then Otto must been sporting a real anaconda down there

Maybe he died happy

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

I'm going to skip ahead, but is that one dummy still here who thinks a trip to NK was a way better idea than going to Mexico because of the DRUGS and GANGS and BROWNS

Yeah what's up bitch

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Do you have something to say?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

B. Birdsworth posted:

Idk man someone disagreeing that he deserved it and thinking that the situation itself isn't funny doesn't mean they're offended by the actual gallows humor ITT

gallows humor is making jokes in light of something you actually think is sad/tragic, not guffawing at someones misfortune and saying they had it coming without making a joke. not saying you can't have that opinion but it's not gallows humor. see forums poster GRINDCORE MEGGIDO's posts for examples on how to do it right

:agreed:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh boy I love when goons mince about what's appropriate. Are you guys this pedantic in life?

I don't know man it seems to me like the people whining the most are the ones bitching about not everyone agreeing that he deserved it. See the dude still whining about my posts in the other thread. get over it

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You're bitching an awfully lot for someone pretending to be a hardass. lol

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Probably. A pretty stupid way to go out, all things considered

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Zo posted:

he did entirely bring it on himself, so he would only not "deserve" what he got if you use the technical definition of that word where nobody actually "deserves" anything bad to happen to them, in which case sure

couldn't the same be said for someone getting mugged and killed for being in the wrong alley at the wrong time? like say outside an opera house... are you saying batman's parents deserved it, you fucker?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

There's a difference between something that deserves to happen vs a reasonably predictable consequence of something (at least the hard labor sentence if not the brain death.) and it's weird that there's only like three other goons who can separate them.

Yes, it's this. Dying because of something like this wasn't predictable at all, because no western tourist had ever died in north korea. Prison, sure, but at least you'll get out at some point. The longest de facto sentences were a few years. It's anomalous

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
My point is that in this specific case, because of the outcome, it really was bad luck, an arbitrary decision to punish this rich white kid, for a crime that's comparably less severe than say, trying to convert north koreans to a different ideology (which others had received long, but non-lethal sentences for)

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
how will you get a gorgeous north korean waifu then hmm. riddle me that

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
i want to see a picture of kim jong un riding piggyback on dennis rodman's back

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
if that happens, the peninsula will finally have peace...

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

I hate to bring this up, but the story is like the embodiment of privilege. Dude probably grew up without any serious issues and figured the rules didn't apply to him; and even if he got in trouble or got caught, someone would get him out of it--whether it be a government official, Rodman, or whomever.

I keep going between 'goddam what a horrible fate' and 'goddam how stupid do you have to be to wind up in a situation like his' that I don't really know how I feel about it.

So if anything the problem is acting like you have more privilege than you do? Maybe if his daddy was a little bit richer he could bribed Kim Jong Un through the chinese.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Vastarien posted:

ottoerotic asphyxiation

:cripes:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
[genesplicer voice] good news, everyone! I've probated our most active photoshop contributer and I only had to dig through posts made a week ago to do it!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

I pray for the person that ever has to explain the concept of "emptyquoting" to him

I think the tweet was actually a photoshop edit he made, too. oh gene... why do you do this to us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

hahaha

• Locked thread