Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.
Ok he's white enough but any evidence he was rich?

Also, goons who had a good guffaw at the crying of this RICH kid before he was hauled off never to see his loved ones again and to infarct most of his brain into goo while under their watch are basically locked into the edgy "he deserved it" position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

Nathilus posted:

Sure its sad but wasnt he already pretty retarded? I mean the dude did actually attempt petty larceny in north loving korea right? I'm assuming that isn't just made up. If so, the coma is still a huge bummer but when he wakes up how much functionality do we think he will have lost? He seems to have been pretty close to the drooling retard level already.

He reportedly has massive loss of brain parenchyma in all areas. He's never "waking up".

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

Blue Train posted:

I'm honestly curious who those that disagree with me are going to blame for this cause it's obviously warm beers fault. Is Kim jong un to blame? China? I mean wtf

Easy: It's the government of North Korea's fault for overreacting to an extremely minor offense, directly resulting in the kid sustaining a massive anoxic brain injury from which he will never recover, with Warmbier playing the incredibly minor role of dumb college kid.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

big nipples big life posted:

His parents are idiots for letting their son go to loving North Korea on vacation.

yeah it's majorly dumb, but I'm pretty sure the worst case scenario on their minds was not the loss of their son forever.
i mean actually his case is unprecedented for NK

:vince:

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

Trunko posted:

Think of all he could have contributed to this world

Hmm let's see *puts on pince nez reading glasses*

double major in Econ/commerce at a respected U on track to graduate, with clear career goals, physically fit and well-liked by his community, described as "funny charismatic & studious".

So quite a lot more than your common goon!

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

EX250 Type R posted:

if u cant do the time dont do the crime

click it or ticket

poster down? get ready ta drown

B. Birdsworth fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 18, 2017

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

Three Olives posted:

Seriously I don't understand why North Korea didn't just kill him if they knew he was brain dead. It seems like a waste of resources to keep feeding him and keep him in the hospital.

Him dying in NK raises the question of "is this murder?", which is bad for NK for all sorts of reasons. He is still technically alive and did not die in NK. From what I read he had some imaging done in NK from April which was reviewed here and it suggested his brain injury was still evolving at that point, so it potentially hasn't been longer than a couple months that he's been vegetating.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

Gazpacho posted:

considering how distraught he was during the confession my money's on a suicide attempt

or idk maybe the enormity of it all caused a blood vessel to pop in his head

Attempted suicide by hanging is possible

Botulism is also possible, since there'd be no way to prove he had botulism several months out and I totally believe you could get the bot in Best Korea.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

The doc said it wasn't.

Not quite, he said there was no evidence of botulism, which there wouldn't be if his poisoning happened months ago. It's entirely plausible that he got foodborne botulism and none of his guards noticed when he stopped breathing. The only way to diagnose him with at this point would be clinical history, which we got basically none of from the Norks.

e: the other reason I have some credence in the botulism claim is that it makes the NorKors look incompetent as well as inhumane. Really the only way to get a global anoxic brain injury from botulism is to not get put on a ventilator when you need to be. Example: an outbreak in Thailand affecting 91 people resulted in no fatalities or devastating neurologic injuries, even though 42 of them had to go on a vent.

B. Birdsworth fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 18, 2017

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

EX250 Type R posted:

I thought he was breathing on his own and poo poo?

Lots of reasons he could have died, from the description of his MRI.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

F

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

Mnoba posted:

only a first world cis white male would think it would be ok to go to a 3rd world communist country and mess with stuff

Isn't NK the 2nd world?

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what woke dumb gently caress wrote that?

The excellent & learned journalists of The Huffington Bluffington Post.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

Three Olives posted:

So basically he was a complete moron that had a completely expectable outcome from it.

The only thing left to find in this is humor, there is nothing unexpected that happened.

His outcome was without precedent for American detainees in North Korea.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

EX250 Type R posted:

p sure theres a long history of americans dying in north korea going back some 60 odd years

The man makes a good point

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

it will never cease to amaze me how many people get offended at gallows humor on the something awful dot com comedy website

Idk man someone disagreeing that he deserved it and thinking that the situation itself isn't funny doesn't mean they're offended by the actual gallows humor ITT

gallows humor is making jokes in light of something you actually think is sad/tragic, not guffawing at someones misfortune and saying they had it coming without making a joke. not saying you can't have that opinion but it's not gallows humor. see forums poster GRINDCORE MEGGIDO's posts for examples on how to do it right

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

Toadvine posted:

Would you tell anybody in real life you think Otto deserved what happened?

check out the other thread where some goon says he thinks the dude deserved it but his coworkers think it's sad and tragic and he feels compelled to pretend to agree with them so that they don't think he's --get this-- a fuckin weirdo

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

EX250 Type R posted:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

welcome back to fear factor North Korea
round 2: will special guest OTTO "BLOTTO" WARM BREW eat THIS??? for his freedom?

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

gently caress da Mods posted:

i know this is all a funny irony lol forum and all that edge lords goons but i gotta be real here and say otto was a great guy i knew him growing up he was like a loving brother 2 me.

so what he took a sign?!!! have u ever not taken signs? Seriously have some fuckign compassion.

he had so many plans for this hosed up planet now theyre all gone.

HMMMM a mighty peculiar post indeed

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21723779-travel-ban-american-citizens-north-korea-may-be-offing-outrageous-death-otto

Apparently the tour group trumped up the safety of traveling there

quote:

HOW safe is it? Extremely safe!” So read the guidance for North Korea on the website of Young Pioneer Tours when Otto Warmbier, a 21-year-old American student, signed up for a five-day trip to North Korea in December 2015.
[...]
“Despite what you may hear,” it continued, “North Korea is probably one of the safest places on Earth to visit.”

quote:

Young Pioneer Tours, [...] also organises travel to former Soviet gulags, Chernobyl and Iran (or, “destinations your mother would rather you stayed away from”, as it brags),

quote:

"I have been very impressed by the Korean government’s humanitarian treatment of severe criminals like myself,” he said during a televised confession.
Rekt

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

facebook jihad posted:

Uh...no? I'm saying he probably lived a life without facing any kind of consequence and he hosed up majorly here.

Maybe he was generally a good kid and didn't make all sorts of horrible brokebrain decisions before this one? I mean his friends described him as studious & quirky which I feel would be odd descriptors for a real bro's bro.

Just weighing in for the defense. You could be right.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

fruit on the bottom posted:

To be fair, those are all statements after the fact. People have a tendency to romanticize the lost, even when we thought it was just for 14 years

Yeah for sure, but if he were really the pee-pee-head bro everyone assumed he was I'd expect to see things like "vivacious" and "fun" and "loved life" etc, not studious and quirky and goal-oriented. Econ' s not a joke major where he was going too so the studious part checks out.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

Toadvine posted:

That's just standard middle class Ohioan attire.

We're generally sturdy folk, present topic of conversation not included, if not the most fashionable

In the South, including where he went to school, that kind of attire is very fashionable and could absolutely be seen on a bro who never had to face consequences. One for the prosecution IMO.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

Three Olives posted:

North Korea might not even be at fault, plenty of young people in the US go brain dead because of heart attacks/strokes, etc.

I feel like we should give North Korea some benifit of doubt, especially when they kept feeding and hydrating him after he was brain dead and his parents decided to let him die in the US and they couldn't find any signs of intentional injury.

It wasn't a stroke, but heart attack is possible. There's a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is associated with sudden cardiac death in young people who are athletic. It's relatively rare though.

To give the Norks the benny of the D (which I do), given that they already said he got botulism, that still means they basically neglected him while he asphyxiated until his brain came apart.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

glad to learn the family wisely declined an autopsy

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

Corvus corone posted:

For real tho, wtf why would you do that

eh, honestly a medical autopsy is very unlikely to uncover anything that wasn't found while they were still alive in the hospital. If you've ever cared about someone, don't ask for their autopsy unless the doc thinks its likely to uncover something that they wouldn't have seen beforehand. it's a pretty gruesome procedure and i dont want to think about it being done on someone I like.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

FuhrerHat posted:

wtf
theyre already dead

if i die autopsy the poo poo out of me

yeah man if its you obviously you wouldn't care but its the family's call

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

B. Birdsworth fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

His autonomic and enteric nervous systems would have most probably worked fine up until the end
people in that state can poop themselves and even get a real boner

• Locked thread