Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Patch 4.55 NotesPatch 4.56 NotesPatch 4.57 Notes

FINAL FANTASY XIV: STORMBLOOD
Available for PC, Mac and PS4
Official site: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/
Account management: http://sqex.to/Msp
Discord: Catgirl Bargains

For assistance in registering and setting up the game, review the Beginner's Guide.
For more advanced help, see the Play Guide (Windows / Mac / PS4).

The Armoury System is FFXIV's character progression system. In Final Fantasy XIV, your class is determined by your equipped weapon, and you can change your weapon anywhere in the overworld. When a combat class reaches level 30, completing the associated job quest gives you a soul crystal that turns that class into a job. Every job has its own unique abilities and gear, as well as a selection of role abilities shared among all jobs of a certain type. Some jobs are available at character creation, while some require meeting certain story milestones to unlock.

For information about each class's abilities and play styles, visit the Job Guide.

Paladins (PLD) use sword, shield and white magic to protect their allies. Paladin starts in Ul'dah as the Gladiator (GLD) class.
Warriors (WAR) use a two-handed axe to keep their enemies' attention. Warrior starts in Limsa Lominsa as the Marauder (MRD) class.
Dark Knights (DRK) use a two-handed sword and black magic to vex their foes. Dark Knight starts in Ishgard*.

White Mages (WHM) use a cane and white magic to provide powerful healing to their allies. White mage starts in Gridania as the Conjurer (CNJ) class.
Scholar (SCH) read from their grimoires to enact battlefield tactics and call upon fairy familiars. Scholar starts in Limsa Lominsa as the Arcanist (ACN) class.
Astrologians (AST) bend fate with their "star globe" orreries and a deck of tarot cards. Astrologian starts in Ishgard*.

Monks (MNK) use their fists and the power of their chakras. Monk starts in Ul'dah as the Pugilist (PGL) class.
Dragoons (DRG) invoke the might of the great wyrm Nidhogg as they attack with their spears. Dragoon starts in Gridania as the Lancer (LNC) class.
Ninja (NIN) use special hand-signs called "mudra" and a pair of dual blades. Ninja starts in Limsa Lominsa as the Rogue (ROG) class**.
Samurai (SAM) study the blade to perfect the art of "sen", balancing the three forces of setsu, getsu and ka. Samurai starts in Ul'dah***.

Bards (BRD) combine archery and song to provide support as they attack their foes. Bard starts in Gridania as the Archer (ARC) class.
Machinists (MCH) use magitechnological handguns and turrets to deal damage and support their party. Machinist starts in Ishgard*.

Black Mages (BLM) channel the pure destructive power of fire, ice and thunder magic through their staves. Black Mage starts in Ul'dah as the Thaumaturge (THM) class.
Summoners (SMN) invoke the essences of the primals through their magic grimoires. Summoner starts in Limsa Lomisa as the Arcanist (ACN) class.
Red Mages (RDM) merge white and black magic into a fast, hybrid style that builds up magical power that is unleashed through their enchanted rapiers. Red mage starts in Ul'dah***.

* These jobs become available once you complete the story of A Realm Reborn up to the quest "Before the Dawn" and own the Heavensward expansion.
** This class becomes available once you have at least one other class at level 10.
*** These jobs become available once you reach level 50 and own the Stormblood expansion.

Gathering and crafting are their own classes with unique equipment and abilities, as well.

The Disciplines of the Land are the gathering classes:
  • Botanists (BTN) gather wood, fiber and plants.
  • Miners (MIN) gather rock, ore and raw gems.
  • Fishers (FSH) gather sea creatures.

The Disciplines of the Hand are the crafters of Eorzea:
  • Alchemists (ALC), makers of various potions, ethers and other consumables, as well as Arcanist and Conjuror weapons
  • Armorers (ARM), makers of heavy metal armor
  • Blacksmiths (BSM), makers of metal weapons and tools
  • Carpenters (CRP), makers of all things wooden
  • Culinarians (CUL), makers of food and drink that provide long-lasting buffs
  • Goldsmiths (GSM), makers of fine jewelery from precious gems and rare metals, including Thaumaturge weapons
  • Leatherworkers (LTW), who turn beast hides and sinews into medium armor
  • Weavers (WVR), makers of fabric, thread and light armor

• Is this game a sequel of FFXI? No. Besides elements of the setting and the Armoury system, the two games are very dissimilar; combat is much faster, travel is less onerous, there is a much higher emphasis on solo content in FFXIV, and EXP camps are no longer a viable way to level, much less the sole way. If you played FFXI and liked the setting and story but ended up frustrated with how much time you spent killing crabs, try FFXIV.

• What restrictions does the trial version have?
    • The trial is only open to new players who have not previously played the trial, participated in any beta test or already purchased the game.
    • You may create one character per server on up to 8 servers.
    • The trial has no time restriction. You can play the trial as long as you want and return to it at any time.
    • The level cap is Lv.35 on all classes.
    • You can only carry a small amount of gil and can't use the Market Boards, mail, or trade with other players.
    • You can't use zone-wide chat or send private messages to other players.
    • You can join existing linkshells (chat channels), but not Free Companies (guilds).
    • You cannot invite other players to parties, but can use the Duty Finder (automatic party matching).
    • You can't do more than the first tier of Palace of the Dead (floors 1-10).
    • You can't log into the community sites like The Lodestone or the official forums.
    • All these restrictions are removed if you subscribe.

• I haven't played for a long period of time. What is new? Probably a whole lot, now that there's been two expansions and a third on the way. More detailed information about each patch can be found at the Lodestone's Patch Log.
  • When should I buy the expansion? Buying the most recent expansion gives you access to all the previous expansions as well. Buying Stormblood unlocks Heavensward as well.
    If you want an Au Ra character, buy it immediately. If you want to play samurai or red mage, buy it once you hit level 50. If you want to play dark knight, astrologian or machinist, or don't care about any of those jobs, you can wait until you've completed the A Realm Reborn story.

PURCHASING AND SUBSCRIBING
  • Where can I buy the game? FFXIV is available in physical form from your friendly local retailers, in digital form from Steam, Amazon, GreenManGaming, GameStop, Square-Enix Store and others, and on the PS4 PlayStation Store. Prices vary by retailer and region.
  • How much does it cost to play? FFXIV is a subscription game. Purchasing the game gives you one free month. Please see the official website for your region (North America, Europe and Oceania, Japan and Asia) for pricing information.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN
  • Do Windows, Mac and PS4 players play on the same servers? Yes.
  • Do North American, European, Asian and Oceanic players play on the same servers? Everyone can play on whichever server they want, but there are three hosting centers: Group JP, located in Tokyo, Japan, Group NA, located in Sacramento, California, and Group EU, located in Hamburg, Germany. Many European players currently play on the Group NA servers, but if the idea of high latency puts you off, the Group EU servers are recommended.
  • If I buy a copy for one platform, can I play my character on a different one? You need to buy a key for the platform you're playing on. If you want to play both on PC and PS4, you need to buy keys for both platforms. However, once you do, your character can be played on both. You will also receive a free month for every additional platform you activate.
  • Can I still play this game on PS3? No. PS3 service ended on June 20, 2017. All PS3 licenses have been automatically upgraded to PS4 licenses for free.
  • I bought the standard edition for my platform. Can I buy the collector's edition later to get the upgrade? No, but you have two options: either buy the collector's edition for a different platform, or buy the digital collector's upgrade directly from S-E for $20/£15/15 €/¥2,366 depending on region.
  • Should I buy a copy on Steam if I'm already a PC player? No. You won't be able to register the key to your existing account. Steam accounts count as PC activations, and you can't activate two of the same platform on the same account.
  • I bought my FFXIV key from Steam. Can I buy the upgrade to Stormblood from another store? / I bought my FFXIV key from a store besides Steam. Can I buy the upgrade to Stormblood from Steam? No. Steam FFXIV accounts can only be upgraded by Steam Stormblood keys.
  • I want to add a key to my account. Do I add a platform, or add a service account? Add a platform. Adding a service account makes a separate second account.
  • I didn't read this post, and I added a service account instead of a platform. How do I fix it? Fill out this Square-Enix support form.
  • Where can I get the PC client? http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/playersdownload/na/. However, you must have an active account to update it.
  • Should I use an authenticator? Yes. You can buy a keyfob authenticator from S-E for $11, or you can install a software authenticator on your phone or tablet (available for iOS and Android). By adding an authenticator to your account, you will get to teleport to one location of your choice for free.

STARTING OUT
  • I want to play on Excalibur, but character creation is disabled. You have a couple options. If you're patient, you can wait for an off-peak time (mid-week and morning EST are the best times) to make a character. If you want to start playing immediately, you can make a character on a different server and transfer it to Excalibur for an $18 fee after 3 days. However, if you pick one of the "preferred" servers, you are locked to that server for 90 days instead (since it provides you with XP bonuses and potential free play time), so make sure not to pick one of those servers if you want to use this option.
  • I want to play on Omega, but character creation is disabled. You have to wait for an off-peak time to create a character, since you can't transfer to Omega at this time. Transfers to Omega have been re-opened. You can either wait for an off-peak time or transfer from another non-preferred server.
  • Does it matter what race I pick? Mechanically, the difference in stats at Lv.70 for any given pair of races is less than 1%. The difference between races is essentially cosmetic.
  • Does it matter what nameday/guardian I pick? Not currently. These are cosmetic at the moment, and might be used in later updates to provide you with small bonuses like nameday presents.
  • How do I choose what city I start in? Your choice of starting class determines what city you start in. Refer to the class list above.
  • How many classes can I level? Is there a limit on how high I can level other classes? You can level every class to the level cap. There is no cap on how many classes you can level.
  • How do I unlock a new class? Go to the receptionist at the guild whose class you want to unlock. The guildmaster will hand you a weapon; equipping it will unlock the class.
  • I went to a guild and the receptionist wouldn't give me a quest. Complete your first class's Lv.10 quest first.
  • The class I want to unlock doesn't have a guild in my city. Complete the Lv.15 story quest for your airship pass, then travel to that city.
  • Which quests should I be doing? The most important quests to do are the Main Scenario quests (the ones marked with a meteor icon), since feature unlocks are tied to your main scenario progress. The Main Scenario UI element will always point you to the next main story quest.

FURTHER GAMEPLAY
  • What do the stats do? Hover over the stat names in your Character window for information about what they modify.

• Where is the "flank"? The sides. Anything that isn't "front" or "back" is the "flank". You can see on the ground target circle where back ends and flank begins where the line changes thickness:

• How do I tell how much aggro/hate/enmity I have? There are two indicators that display your current enmity level.

The party frames indicate everyone's relative enmity on the currently targeted enemy:

• The "A" on the gladiator's icon indicates that the currently targeted enemy is attacking him. The numbers indicate the second, third, and fourth highest enmity.
    • The length of the small bar indicates your hate level relative to the maximum.

The enemies list indicates your relative enmity for every enemy you've engaged:

• Green circle: less than 50% of maximum enmity
    • Yellow up triangle: between 50% and 75% of maximum enmity
    • Orange down triangle: between 75% and 99% of maximum enmity
    • Red square: maximum enmity - it is currently attacking you
    The length of the bars indicates each enemy's remaining HP.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Primal center: Excalibur (NA)
Please Be Careful, Plot 13, 1st Ward, The Goblet (Ul'dah)
Dragongod Knightkings, Plot 8, 1st Ward, The Goblet (Ul'dah)
Third Party Tools, Plot 8, 8th Ward, Shirogane (Kugane)

Chaos center: Omega (EU)
Please Calm Down: Plot 37, 5th Ward, Shirogane (Kugane)

Elemental center: Kujata (JP, ASEA)
Ned Kelly Fan Club: Plot 24, 1st Ward, The Goblet (Ul'dah)

To be invited to one of these groups, join the Discord and follow the instructions in the #welcome channel:

• Step 1. Connect your SA account to your Discord account by typing !authme [SA name] (don't include the square brackets) in #ffgoons-auth and following the instructions in the direct message from @GDN. (If you have already authorized your account on another Discord server, skip this step. If you want to sponsor a friend, vouch for them by asking in #ffxiv-general and mentioning them, so they can be manually added to the necessary role.)

• Step 2. Request an invite code by typing pls inviteme [FC] [firstname lastname] in #ffgoons-auth, where [FC] is the company you wish to join: PBC, DGKK or TPT (NA groups), PCD (EU group) or NKFC (JP/ASEA group). @Tataru will send you a direct message with an invite code.

• Step 3. Right-click on the placard outside the FC house or an FC member and chose "View Company Profile", then "Submit Application". In the box that pops up, type in your full Discord username (for example, minfilia#1234; not your nickname) and the provided code. Your application will be processed as soon as possible.

If you want to sponsor a friend, have them join the Discord server so that they can be manually assigned the correct role. They can then proceed from step 2.

If you're in a group on another server that's looking for members, PM The Chairman

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 2, 2019

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
So what does "Storm Blood" even mean anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Ground floor.

My body is reddy.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
So what time EST are servers supposed to come back up. (Knowing that they will extend maint like always)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I am going to blood all the storms.

Goodbye to this snowy place.

Hello to Fantasy Japan!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ishin posted:

So what time EST are servers supposed to come back up. (Knowing that they will extend maint like always)

5 AM

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
buy me stormblood or go to hell

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

So ready for a spammable AoE, even if I may not be maining PLD.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
gently caress that old thread. This new thread is where it's at.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Oh by the way, if you haven't heard yet: The Primal Lakshmi's theme is out and running wild.

Suffice it to say that the harder modes will undoubtedly require the whole raid to perform a full Bollywood routine.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

5AM is nearly an ideal time for the servers to come up so I'm really happy with their choice of launch time. Instead of staying up like a 13 year old I can sleep like an old man and just wake up a couple hours early. Then, when I see the inevitable delays and queues, probably fall back to sleep.

But that's fine, don't care about rushing through anything anyway.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I am ready for Bloodstormblood and to be as red and stylish as absolutely possible.

Mazed posted:

Oh by the way, if you haven't heard yet: The Primal Lakshmi's theme is out and running wild.

Suffice it to say that the harder modes will undoubtedly require the whole raid to perform a full Bollywood routine.

Having made Soken sad and listened to a decent bit of the OST, I can say: the music for this game Remains Good.

(also there was a little, vague spoiler in the filenames and now I'm even more curious about how it will work in practice. tomorrow get here dammit)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
hype levels critical help

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah, the new thread smell.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm really excited for fantasy Japan. All of the new areas look a lot more visually exciting compared to Ishgard.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
**unsheaths katana**

where do i unlock samurai?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hello new thread, say hello to the cutest dragongirl this side of the Wall.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Bards: Now actually Bards.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kuai posted:

**unsheaths katana**

u'dah steps of thal friend

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I am excited to play Stormblood.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I am ready to shed my adventure nerd glamours for a skimpy bathing suit.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Despite my previous post, there is some other real life stuff I should get done before even thinking of logging in to Stormblood or I really am going to be obligated to commit honhorhable sudoku in penance.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Ended up with a dumb error trying to update to Stormfront and had to re-download everything. Luckily their servers aren't as bogged down as I thought.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Forer posted:

So what does "Storm Blood" even mean anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Kuai posted:

**unsheaths katana**

from reddit:

SAM

RDM

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I'm ready to resume my anime adventures with my pal Alphinaud.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Haquer posted:

Ended up with a dumb error trying to update to Stormfront and had to re-download everything. Luckily their servers aren't as bogged down as I thought.

Their update servers are also incredibly robust. They're probably getting "hammered" but it's still fine, they can take the fury.

CLARPUS posted:

This but with zero irony whatsoever

Alf was 100% a bro by the end, and Alisaie was even cooler

the nerds making up the cast are a Pretty All Right set of nerds at this point

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

CLARPUS posted:

if the MSQ doesn't end with me, personally, killing Alphinaud for the high crime of aggravated idiothood, i will be extremely upset

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Oh hey just in time for there to be an aethernet shard there now too.

Prepare to see the Ul'dah market explode. :getin:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

im ready

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Thank you for the new thread, Chairman.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mazed posted:

It's not Bollywood enough. Though no amount of Bollywood will ever be enough.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

gently caress tanking anymore though, time to draw my hanzo steel.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A page without riker? Unacceptable!

(:rip: fracture)

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Ground floor in this fractureless mmo

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I really hope monks will be okay :(

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Let us take a moment to remember the fallen.

Ring of Thorns, 2013-2017

RIP nvr 4get

and Fracture, but Fracture doesn't get a screenshot. Because it was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm bloodless. It's all been stormed out.