Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The greatest challenge with Samurai is that I will never, ever get the names of their skills straight, meaning I will only be able to communicate rotations by describing what the icons look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Yoshida just phoned me to say that he's trolling arcanist players by removing miasma 2 and bio 1 and ruining bane and making all the scholar spells bad and boring.

Pretty immature if you ask me but he's the boss.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Wildfires do make up like 1.5% of your dungeon damage.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

okay literally when i posted it, it didn't work. and it does now. it also didn't work for other people i asked. so this is one of those times when i complain and it instantly backfires.

i can tell you that for the 30+ minutes prior, the shortened links went to a non-existent page.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 16, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SpaceDrake posted:

I really don't get that. Heavensward Bane needed a nerf, yes, on both SMN and SCH, but removing double Bios from it would have been enough by itself.

Doing that really does just come across as taking a wound and rubbing salt in it for no clear reason.

They really, really, reaaaaalllly don't want people doing sustained AoE anymore and Bane was pretty much the king of that. Even Fire 2 got hit hard.

Meanwhile: Hahahahaha my day as a PLD is here!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I started playing 3 weeks ago and just got my Scholar to 49. Kinda disappointed with these changes.

I also want to pick up Dark Knight as my secondary, and that's bad now too :(?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Play whatever you want. I don't think anything is going to unusable, it's just disappointing as someone who's played scholar since the beginning to get TWO expansion packs worth of underwhelming new spells AND good spells gutted AND decent spells removed

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Infinity Gaia posted:

Ahhh, I forgot about that. Still, 10 less potency in exchange for the other stuff Monks are getting seems okay provided we all ignore the elephant in the room that is Samurai.

I mean, I'd be less bummed if we'd gotten something cool, but between the skill that's just a replacement for B4B (that also messes with the gottagofast that's kinda the core of monking), a raid buff that pales compared to the other melee classes, and a passive for using one ability a lot more, it's just all so boring.

EponymousMrYar posted:

They really, really, reaaaaalllly don't want people doing sustained AoE anymore and Bane was pretty much the king of that. Even Fire 2 got hit hard.

Meanwhile: Hahahahaha my day as a PLD is here!

Funnily enough, that's still the one place where monks are great. :v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Thundarr posted:

The Monk trait to give yourself a Chakra stack on a critical hit is a 50% chance. That's literally a free Chakra stack every other Bootshine. :stare:

Yeah everything's potency is down, but TP cost is also down. So... less raw output but almost unlimited sustain, with manic periods of Forbidden Chakra spam seems to be the new normal.

e: Internal Release is also now 30% crit up. They clearly expect Monk damage output to be based around making GBS threads out a constant stream of crits.
I'm curious as to how they'll balance Monk in PVP, considering that in Stormblood PVP crits aren't a thing anymore. Which is the one big thing I kinda disagree about the PVP changes that I've seen so far, but we'll see.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Saint Freak posted:

Wildfires do make up like 1.5% of your dungeon damage.

How much on a single boss though?

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Are ninjas hard to play with all the mudra shananagins?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

I started playing 3 weeks ago and just got my Scholar to 49. Kinda disappointed with these changes.

Play whatever you went. None of these changes are bad, some are just disappointing if you have been playing the same class for 3 years and were hoping for more.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Injuryprone posted:

I wouldn't say they're any harder than any other melee but they can still be butts if your connection's worse than 120ms to pull a number out of my arse. You memorize the mudra patterns pretty fast.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Injuryprone posted:

They're very off-gcd heavy but I mean by video game standards even 3-mudra ninjutsu don't require that many button presses per second.

And aside from mudra they're quite simple

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Why does SE think Asts are weak? They got nothin' but buffs.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of a compact list of the quests to complete the HW storyline? Even though I subbed earlier this week I left off finishing figuring I'd enjoy the benefits of earning XP while doing it. Plus I'm going to be away from my computer for a week straight starting Monday so I wasn't going to be blitzing through Stormblood in any case. Just want to be able to track how far I've got left to go.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Every time you cast a mudra you have to make the hand sign IRL so that part can be difficult. Here's a guide on how to practice your mudras.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CuddlyZombie posted:

Every time you cast a mudra you have to make the hand sign IRL so that part can be difficult. Here's a guide on how to practice your mudras.

I already have mastered the summoning jutsu so I should be good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nessin posted:

Anyone know of a compact list of the quests to complete the HW storyline? Even though I subbed earlier this week I left off finishing figuring I'd enjoy the benefits of earning XP while doing it. Plus I'm going to be away from my computer for a week straight starting Monday so I wasn't going to be blitzing through Stormblood in any case. Just want to be able to track how far I've got left to go.
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Heavensward_Main_Scenario_Quests

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Some snap analysis:

WAR: Cannot wait to get hit in the face! But really, Onslaught should ADD 20 Beast Gauge, not cost it.

AST: Why won't loving anything that Squeenix has written down tell me if Minor Arcana randomly picks between Lord and Lady or if half the cards turn into Lord, and the other half turn into Lady, and WHICH HALVES!?

MCH: ...wow, gently caress everything. Now MCH gets to feel what it's like to have a bolted on mechanic. There is no way to control overheat until you hit 62. Involuntary Overheats EVERYWHERE. All the BRDs everywhere just got schadenboners.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

strong bird posted:

Yoshida just phoned me to say that he's trolling arcanist players by removing miasma 2 and bio 1 and ruining bane and making all the scholar spells bad and boring.

Pretty immature if you ask me but he's the boss.

At least those people who were annoyed by summoner being the "dot class" should be happy.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

CuddlyZombie posted:

It's a good thing you can encapsulate all of the relevant hand signs in various permutations of a 3 button combo. Mudra's are a little complicated but once you wrap you're head around them the only thing that'll trip you up is latency and fat fingering shenanigans.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've got other games I could be playing, or going to bed early to wake up for launch in less than six hours, instead I'm sitting here refreshing this thread, Catgirl Bargains and reddit

what have i become

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

brainwrinkle posted:

SCH remains a perfectly fine healer, and they've actually made it so that your single-target damage is largely unchanged. All they really did was nerf your ability to be a multi-dotting, super-DPS god while also putting out tons of healing, which has been a bit of a problem going all the way back to 2.0.

Of course the bigger problem is that a lot of longtime healers on SCH and WHM are feeling more than a little inferior to AST right now because on paper AST is completely out of control.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

MCH: ...wow, gently caress everything. Now MCH gets to feel what it's like to have a bolted on mechanic. There is no way to control overheat until you hit 62. Involuntary Overheats EVERYWHERE. All the BRDs everywhere just got schadenboners.

I don't think they get the heat mechanic until level 60 so that's not too bad. Certainly isn't as bad as BLM getting 6 (8?) levels of Enochian before Fire IV

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

patch notes posted:

An issue wherein the level 56 samurai ability, Hissatsu: Yaten is misnamed Hissatsu: Gyoten, which is also the name of the level 54 samurai ability. Both abilities function properly, but the only way to tell them apart is by their icon and help text.

Furthermore, using "Hissatsu: Gyoten" in a macro will properly trigger the level 54 samurai ability. However, the level 56 ability "Hissatsu: Yaten" cannot be used in a macro until this issue is resolved. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Whooopsie!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

How much on a single boss though?

The difference between really good ones every time and just kinda clicking split shot over and over is probably around ~3% over a single say Alex Normal fight.

Edit: Top players in raids on the fflogs site look to be around 7% of their damage in a raid fight coming from wildfires.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 16, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

The difference between really good ones every time and just kinda clicking split shot over and over is probably around ~3% over a single say Alex Normal fight.

You're shattering all my misconceptions and making my decision harder :arghfist::saddowns:

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Am I reading this 1 Ilm punch description right? It's a stun that doesn't build up stun resistance on the target so you can stun it every time you go through your rotation if you wanted?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hey Paladins, you know how your cross class options were kind of lackluster unless you were doing PUG PotD? Now you can fill those slots with some of the class abilities you took for granted.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Thundarr posted:

The greatest challenge with Samurai is that I will never, ever get the names of their skills straight, meaning I will only be able to communicate rotations by describing what the icons look like.

Just read them out loud in your best angry shonen anime hero impression, and you'll not only get them all correct but have mastered 99% of Japanese.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Some snap analysis:

WAR: Cannot wait to get hit in the face! But really, Onslaught should ADD 20 Beast Gauge, not cost it.

AST: Why won't loving anything that Squeenix has written down tell me if Minor Arcana randomly picks between Lord and Lady or if half the cards turn into Lord, and the other half turn into Lady, and WHICH HALVES!?

Heat doesn't start happening until you get Gauss at 52, Reload decreases your heat, and using ammo decreases heat generation. I'd wait to see the actual rotation in practice, especially if heat dissipates by itself.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So I got this like a year ago and went through the MSQ until about....Ravana, I think?

My friend told me you can start the Stormblood questline right away, but does that permanently skip the rest of heavensward if so? Also would there be spoilers (lol caring about the story of an mmo i know)

i'm too lazy to look but are Summoners ever gonna get new egis

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/tales_of_adventure/

They're here, hooray.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Why is PvP Tri-Bind so much better than PvE Tri-Bind? If they're going to keep Tri-Bind they should really just go with the PvP version that has the same potency as Ruin.

A big flaming stink posted:

So I got this like a year ago and went through the MSQ until about....Ravana, I think?

My friend told me you can start the Stormblood questline right away, but does that permanently skip the rest of heavensward if so? Also would there be spoilers (lol caring about the story of an mmo i know)

You can get the new classes without the expansion story but otherwise you have to pay real money for jump potions to skip right to Stormblood.

Also Summoners get Demi-Bahamut.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 16, 2017

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

quote:

Fluid Aura: No longer deals water damage with a potency of 150.

Really? They turned FA into a pure knockback spell? Well, throw another button into the WHM graveyard, I guess.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

your friend lied to you, unless you wanna shell out like 25 bucks to skip 6 or so levels of good story

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

JT Jag posted:

I'm curious as to how they'll balance Monk in PVP, considering that in Stormblood PVP crits aren't a thing anymore. Which is the one big thing I kinda disagree about the PVP changes that I've seen so far, but we'll see.

Remember, PvP is effectively an entirely different game going forward. No traits, and some abilities just share their names but not effects. Somersault surived the revamp but is retooled to give a Chakra Stack. Form Shift gives Greased Lightning. These cost TP to use and are on 5 second cooldowns. GCD Combo attacks no longer use TP in PvP for all jobs. TP is basically now just a resource for some abilities like those.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 16, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thundarr posted:

Looks like SE had the same issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

super sweet best pal posted:

Hey Paladins, you know how your cross class options were kind of lackluster unless you were doing PUG PotD? Now you can fill those slots with some of the class abilities you took for granted.

Poor DRK's are the real victims of that. PLD's can get most of their actions back, DRK's can't :(

staplegun posted:

Really? They turned FA into a pure knockback spell? Well, throw another button into the WHM graveyard, I guess.

They did that with all the defensive 'do damage and move' skills. Now they all do just the movement: MCH's Blank, BRD's Repelling shot etc.