Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...Huh. My only familiarity with Starfleet Battles comes from the Starfleet Command games that I was terrible at as a kid. Only race I was ever decent at was the ISC.

Will be watching with interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VendoViper posted:

For anyone following along at home, for context check out "The Balance Of Terror" from ToS Season 1. The Romulans make their screen debut. In that episode they are piloting a much older "Bird of Prey" without warp engines. These War Eagles are much more advanced, developed in response to their encounter with the Enterprise.

If you can look past the Styrofoam debris, and the inexplicable raining plaster and drywall inside a space ship under attack "The Balance Of Terror" is actually really quite good tv and holds up well.

It's a WW2 submarine vs destroyer thriller in space, which I think is why it works so well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DatonKallandor posted:

There's designs for federation ships with plasma torps even.

I only played the Starfleet Command games, but IIRC those were explained as the Federation and Gorn being allies, so there were technology trades between the empires resulting in a few oddball Starfleet ships with plasma torpedoes and Gorn ships with photons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm curious what's up with the other Starfleet Command races who aren't present here, the Lyrans and the ISC.

My only exposure to Starfleet Battles is from that game, so for all I know they were made up wholesale.

• Locked thread