Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Hell Yes.

I, uh, may have broken the previous attempt to LP this game by being better at it than the guy running it. Therefore I will sit back, shut up and watch - only to speak in retrospect, or if someone directly asks me about something specific.

Added Space posted:

I was in that attempt. It ended when an unnamed goon swaggered in, said he was world ranked in this board game, and flipped the table when his orders weren't implemented in precisely the right way.

Yeah. Me. Hence the shutting-up part.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Now that the fight is done (except for the screaming), I just want to agree with people here. The War Eagle is a fine Light Cruiser for it's time. It's a peer opponent for the Federation Light Cruiser used last game. But it is not a full and proper cruiser. It was meant to operate as a wolf-pack ambusher, often in groups of three which would allow each ship to fire a torpedo, then have the other two fire theirs during reload turns.

This match showed off its strengths admirably. Good job to everyone!

The King Eagle is it's upgraded, near-Heavy Cruiser Counterpart. From the same source as MJ12's post above mine, http://www.starfleetgames.com/sfb/tournament/ssd/2005_Tournament_RKE.pdf is a link to look at it.

It's a bad ship in the tournament scene, and I fly it because I love it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gnoman posted:

The Orion pirates are neat, but I don't think the OP has the necessary rules to make them fully interesting. Not entirely sure, since I've been using the Master Rulebook exclusively for so long I'm not actually sure what is in the Basic Set.

Just the Raider Cruiser and their faction rules.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gnoman posted:

However, there is an alternative strategy that just occurred to me after checking what rules are in the Basic Set. We could send one CL+ on an attack run to tie up the Klingon force. Then the other rushes to the freighter (which would normally have a maximum speed of 16) and slaps a tractor beam on it, towing it at speed 31 across the board. We'd be almost guaranteed to lose the attacking ship, but there's a pretty good chance that the other one would get the freighter far enough ahead that the Klingons couldn't kill it.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not entirely sure how well that would work. The tractor rules are hideously complex.

Short answer: Each ship takes the energy applied for movement, and uses the total movement cost of both ships to determine its new speed. One of the ancillary products has a chart of move costs all the way up to 3 in order to help people with the math. I think it was A? Ships would move at the new speed, but if both ships are applying energy to movement, they push/pull at their respective modified speeds. If both ships would move, then the slower ship has their movement delayed an impulse so you don't get a double move.

The Long Answer is, as Gnoman says, hideously complex.

Problem is, we are only told that this is a "Heavy" Civilian Freighter. Does that mean it's a Heavy Freighter with a move cost of 1? Or a Large Freighter with a move cost of 0.5? I

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Based on the OP stating that he only has the Basic Set, I assumed that it would be a Large Freighter with a .5 move cost. IF I did the sums right, with the freighter using all 8 warp power for movement, a CL+ could get the ship going to the speed limit, although the combined move cost might impose a hard cap on the amount of power it could use.

My first thought is that this seems off. Let me talk myself through the math.

The CL and F-L are tractored to each other, and are headed in the same direction. The F-L has 8 warp, and a move cost of 0.5, while the CL+ has 24 Warp and a move cost of 0.75. The total move cost of the group is 1.25. The F-L could then use ... 7.5 Warp to move 6 hexes in a turn, while the CL+ would apply 23.75 Warp to move 19 hexes. This means that off of warp power alone, the CL+ and F-L would move 25 hexes on a turn.

If each uses a point of impulse, then the total would be 27 hexes moved, with one of those hexes carried forward onto impulse one of the subsequent turn in order to avoid a double-move on the last impulse of the turn.

27 is a hella lot faster than the 16 the F-L can go, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Aye. You wound up ending my LP, if you recall.

Xenocides posted:

I don't think I ended it. I played Federation in one scenario of your thread and won due to my shuttle swarm including suicide shuttles hitting the Klingon fleet.

That was me.

There is something else about the G-rack to note, just to make things more confusing. It can fire in ADD mode and normal launch mode on the same turn - but not within 8 impulses of firing in the previous mode.

• Locked thread