Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Awesome! Great to see a SFB game. Watching!

Also I know there was a SFB campaign a few years ago on the forums, you might look to that for how to handle it.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Added Space posted:

I was in that attempt. It ended when an unnamed goon swaggered in, said he was world ranked in this board game, and flipped the table when his orders weren't implemented in precisely the right way.

That said, I'd love another go. I'd like to play Romulans, it's fun to scuttle around under cloak.

Remember folks, these are your (un)friendly TOS era aliens.

ALL HANDS TO BATTLE STATIONS!

Looking forwards to seeing this game fly high once more.

ALso why mount guns to your shuttles when you can use them to fire lots of drones or detonate an antimatter bomb on it and use it as a kamikaze?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looking forwards to the thread! Is there anywhere legitimat eto purchase the rules or get PDF's of them? I'd love to get into it if there's a good plac eto buy them online.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, I remember my early disapponitment with this game you could not use security personnel as munitions by loading htem into torpedo tubes. Then I learned that security personnel were actually useful here.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Romulans are fairly nasty. Gorn ships turn like a VW beetle going uphill overloaded with hippies.

Romulans are dependent, however, mainly on thier plasmas to deal damage. Plasmas take a lot of energy to recharge and time to reload, and they can also be 'hit' by PD weapons to depower them. Gorn ships also have LOTS of weapons. Lots and LOTS of weapons and they cover lot sof arcs. Since a Gorn ship can't turn effectively, it will have lots of weapons to bear in any given arc.

There's also the 'dance' that is done with plasmas and trying to trick folks to when you're powering them and armig them which is very fun. Romulans are very much about trickery and playing against your opponent's expectations and trying to game them. Are you launching a real plasma or a fake one? Do you have a shotgun load ready or are you trying to lure them close with a long range psuedo to make them think you're helpless while recharging? Romulan ships are about gaming your opponent and maneuvering for th ekill.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Kavak posted:

What happened to the ships the Kelvin was looking for? Are they space dust?

Also, this is bring back memories of my Starfleet Command days, where my tactical prowess was limited to playing the Kzinti Mirak and banzai charging at enemy ships before hitting the Z key and unloading everything. Get enough drones and you're basically a spaceborne shotgun.

Think t least the mission summary for the Kelvin described them coming onto the debris cloud with hte implication that the Klingon ship had already explodied them in ambush.

And maximum droneswarm is the funnest. Well, second to being in a Feddie DN and tractor slapping someone into place and then unloading several tubes of overloaded photons into them. Which you don't do because you -have- to, but because it's fun.

... Also this thread makes me wish that GoG would do Starfleet Command compatible with newer OS's as SFC 1 is only good on Win 7.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 21, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The main hitting power of the Gorn ships is still their own plasmas, but they tend to hav ea lot of phasers on them. Cloaking will make us very hard to hit but not impossible, particularly if they do something mean like dropping mines in our path. think we should stay at long range, charge plasma and fire phasers at first. If the gorns launch their own plasmas, cloak to throw off thier lock and then plasma them in turn while viable. Cloaking means we'll be moving about the speed of a VW Beetle going uphill loaded like a clown car with almost no power so it should be used sparingly.

with plasmas we should probably focus fire on one target, and try to disable/kill it. The Gorns are slightly superior to us on ships, so we should try and concentrate fire on one of them at a time to see if we can get a mission kill.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Mission parameters are harrass the Gorn and cause them some ruckus without exposing ourselves. So if we can get a mission kill on one ship and get away we can take that. Our ships aren't quite as survivable as thier's and we will get mauled if the fight goes on too long - Gorn ships are redundant suckers and have lots of guns, and once our first plasma volley is in we're not ableot hit back well.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Basically mostly for cloaking you want to do it to disengage at long range. While you can charge things while cloaked, you're also vulneable while doing so, and there are way sto hit you while cloaked eve with the mega ECM boost you get from it. Generally a lot of ships if you are cloaking will get as close as they can, and as soon as you start to decloak will alpha strike you during the cloaking phase. The cloak will use most of your power so you will have limited speed while doing it and your enemy can still tell where you are so can leisuirely keep pace. If you are loading/charging plasmas during that phase, they can alpha strike you in egneral before you can get them off. Do not try and run away from a close quarters engagement while cloaking in most cases. You are slow, you take awhile to cloak, and you can be nailed hard while doing so. Then also your enemy can loop around and drop mines in your path..

Randoly do the War Eagles have Nuclear Space Mines or not?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

VendoViper posted:

Each War Eagle has a complement of 5 space mines. They can either be dropped into a hex as you leave it, or if you drop a shield arc for an impulse and have your transporter charged, placed in a hex some distance that I don't know off hand away.

Some of the older Romulan ships had a special - Nuclear Space Mines that were pretty nasty. They were the counter for someone chasing you while cloaked as I think you could drop one. Lot of ships would just tank a mine while after a cloaked ship if dropped as it didn't do that much damage. A nuke, OTOH, was fairly nasty and effective for keepin gthem far. If the Gorn survive the salvo and go to pursue, if we have them dropping a cluster of them together would be painful.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for Feddies as far as scenario/campaign goes. They can end up justifiably matching up against almost anyone, and I actually find their ships toughest to use as they don't have a lot of the specialties a lot of other races have when ti comes to weapons, which makes it trickier for them to counter folks but still possible.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, that's a pretty brutal first exchange and haven't even firred the plasmas yet. Maneuvering out of sync cost them - one ship is nearly crippled, and the two can't support one another effectively now. Think it's worth it to when done put all plasmas on the fresh ship to try and cripple it quickly so can kill both Gorn ships or go for a guaranteed kill on the nearly disabled one?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
While boarding is possible I'd kinda advise not to given that there's still one live Gorn ship that can make a mess of us, and we have to drop shields to transport. Tentatively if plasmas are available I agree - launch a psuedo from each launcher to soak up phaser fire, then volley plasmas into the undamaged Gorn. Would suggest reserving phasers to engage shuttles or if the Gorn launch their own plasmas at us at short range/PD. This of course presumes our plasmas are up and aimed for this volley.

At that point, I think we should try and loop around. Gorn ships turn slowly, so after our exchanged strike goes we can maneuver around a bit to get a better shot, or if we have to fall back and cloak to stay at long range to recharge plasmas and then go for another pass. I don't think boarding while one Gorn ship is still very much alive is going to end well, at least not when we have to drop shields to send boarding parties over and htey have plasmas too.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Holy hell, the Gorn crossed their T.

What a maroon.

And the Romulan hasn't even used plasmas yet.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, both War Eagles should close, fire plasmas and one psuedo at the undamaged ship, reserve phasers for defensive fire if the Gorns launch plasma or shuttles. All weapons if they fire should prioritize the intact Gorn ship. Pending that, loop around to keep our rear phasers covering them. Presuming on how we do next turn after can possibly cloak to cover our rearming cycle and then go in for the kill. If both ships are crippled can try and board them but that should be completely optional and not prioritized.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It's not like Star Trek doesn't prioritize drama when it comes to things.

Also voting to switch fire to disable on the Gorn ship that's left. Get to the rear arc of it, use phasers to disable it and then start transporting boarding parties over. Make sure that frontal shields are reinforced and slow down and stay at range of transporters. Then start on capture. I think we're in a position now where it can be mission killed and then seized. It's a derelect so using phasers on disable setting should mean we don't accidentally kill it. When rear weapons ar edisabled start boarding operations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The mission here is to get the Gorn to scramble a lot of extra resources alon this front to open up their border for an assault. Sure, the ship is tactically worthless, but a captured destroyer is a coplete humiliation to the Gorn Space Navy. Honor essentially demands they get it back. In this case, the more ships they have in this sector for us for virtually no loss is bette for the overall strategic mission, which is to spread them thin. Two destroyed (but minor) patrol ships have them send a reinforced patrol out to this area while we play cat and mouse with the next group. A crippled ship captured and under tow back to our home sector will get a LOT more sent for nothing as ew can withdraw after.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, good match! The Romulans had the edge in quality ships and also got the Gorn out of position and were able to in turn salvo each of them separately. Focused fire works. Lesson from this tactically is keep your ships together so they can support one another and hit the same target. Ships should try and maneuver together, keep the same speed, and otherwise be in range to lend PD to one another.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The Gorn could do a 'fighting withdraw' in thsi situation, but that's dpeendent on them staying at long range and thus being able to avoid being plasmaslammed or being able to decoy the plasmas with a Wild WEasel and then make a break for the map edge to escape.

Also still voting for setting phasers to 'disable' and go for rear mount weapons disabling on the Gorn DD then sending over BP's from both ships to capture her and tow her home. Crapship or not, it's still a humiliation to the Gorn, accomplishes our mission objective of drawing more ships into the area, and is a nice feather in the cap of our patrol captain.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I admit i'm going off more STarfleet COmmand, but you get hella nicer bonus points in a campaign mission for capturing a ship than you do just blowing it up - at least a lot more prestige. Nice way to use lower end ships to save and not have to worry on the cost points it takes to refit a brutalized heavy cruiser...

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for D as Romulans don't have any self respect. And I like Feddies vs Romulans because 'Balance of Power' and both fleets' big hitters are based upon long to charge and heavy payoff weapons. I think the combination of Romulan cloaking and plasma vs Starfleet's generally more aggressive and varied ship loadout has more fun.

Klingons saber dance tends to be tense wars of quick turn-offs and dancing at long range to close range and hit and run. I think a Romulan playstyle of cloaking, playing tricks with plasmas against a Goon Captain in a Starfleet vessel will make for quite a bit of fun otherwise and be quitetense and has the potenital for fun mindgames.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Switching vote from D over to C as that seems like it has possibilities for fun too. We're gonna meet the Orions!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Oooh, going to watch this. Not up for captaining, but lookf orwards to seeing how it goes and being part of the dead redshirt peanut gallery

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Drones are useful but require timing. You don't waste them at long range - you want to tiem them for effective salvos - either to thin out enemy PD, cover your maneuvers, or otherwise deny them assets. Drones are useful in salvos- just one drone gets picked off.

Counters to drones - cloak (makes all seeking weapons lose lock). Tractor beams - keep drones at a distance. Wild Weasels (decoy jammer shuttles). Keeping your ships close so they can give overlapping fields of PD fire. ECM - can mess with locks. Also explosions (blow up something in the drone path, it takes the drone out - useful with things like mines).

But, in general to dela with drones you keep your ships close together so they can support one another rather than a single ship being overwhelmed by them.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
There's some thoughts that the original SF3 game would have featured the Andromedans (the storyline in Starfleet Command 2 had the Organians bringing in the ISC to 'prepare the galaxy for a threat which required unity' which in SFB storyline was the Andromedans) before they did a TNG game.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Not sure how far along it got (if ever), but the storyline at least was setup for it.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeeowch, thsi is gonna be a mess. Uhm, presuming that we're allowed to set weapon conditions at scenario start? Theoretically we can have photons already loaded, if we have any shuttles load them as suicides. Reinforce frontal shields, go at max viable speed to the Klingons. Use the drones as cover/strip off defending phasers, max ECM as availble, go for alpha strike with the overloads, then the suicides.

ECM hopefully means we can stay alive to get close, alpha striking with overloads and (maybe) suicide sleds is nice. A Wild Weasel's useless wen we're this outgunned, so I think our only option here is hope we can hit the Klingons hard in te first exchange and hope it's painful enough to them to give us a fighting chance.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yowwch. So basically we have one good hit in, but we can't do it at maximum speed? Honestly I.. I think that it depends as to whether we can get ECM in or not. If we have ECM it's possibly more survivable for us.

To VendoViper, what do we have available in the rulesset you have that we can play wtih on things? And what Weapon State (if any) are we allowed to start at? And Gnoman, you're the expert, would you say going in at highest speed and having less weapons/defense is better or assuming the Klingons get some potshots in but having better defense/heavier alpha strike is better?

Pending aailability of ECM, I'm tentatively leaning towards (presuming folks agree with the plan or otherwise) overloading photons, using the Phaser-3's for defense and the anti-drone missiles, and praying to gods that Vulcans say are illogical that we can get our hits in..

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 2, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah the D6 has about as many weapons as both of the Federation CL's put together. And on a much more combat capable chassis.

I'm leaning towards Plan 2 Gnoman. Speed is life. The faster we go the less time we have to spend under Disruptor bombardment. We have one pass to do this right and for overloads you need to be close to it. I think we can max ECM and put shields in front and just hope we can give them enough damage to let us loop around. Given how the dice are with overloads, the closer we are the better.

Presuming we survive the exchange, I'd vote we can start readying shuttles for suicide sled runs.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Gnoman posted:

I'd only suggest arming suicide shuttles if we lose photon tubes without losing too much warp power. We just don't have that much power to spare, and photons are an overall better means of delivering damage with said power, especially against Klingons and their superb anti-drone phaser complement.

Point. Forgot that. Like your plans - I vote for the second one, if only as getting to point blank range gives us a higher chance of inflicting mission killson the Klingons. If we get shot up, we fail. If we don't shoot them up, we fail. We -need- to maximize our chances of inflicting enough damage on them, and the closer we are the better.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So, do folks think it's more effective to go for an alpha strike with overloads or try and hang defensively till the reighter gets in then tractor yank it and have the other CL be a screen?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Kavak posted:

If one of the captains volunteers to be a suicide ship, then maybe. Otherwise it makes more sense to take our chances.

This is a Starfleet ship, we can just tell the Captain that one of the Klingon ships is made of candy and that if he eats it he can be promoted to Admiral.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I'm with Gnoman on this. BLOOD FOR THE REDSHIRT GOD!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Like things so far Gnoman. Great plan so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Having fun watching this chatter. Have nice memories of watching people play/plyaing some in middle school at the local bookstore.

• Locked thread