Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
So in 2000pts, a Guard infantry army can get a stupid amount of re-rolls.

3 for Battle forged, 27 from 3 Brigades, and then + 2 if you take Creed.

Just a causal 32 re-rollable dice per game.

edit: Guard superiority artwork for the new page:

Yeast fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Here's the 1850 list I plan to use for a game on Sunday:

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [62 PL, 1173pts] ++

+ HQ +

Tank Commander [13 PL, 380pts]: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters
. Command Battle Tank: Battle Cannon

+ Troops +

Militarum Tempestus Scions [3 PL, 61pts]
. Tempestor: Hot-shot Laspistol
. 2x Tempestus Scion: 2x Hot-shot Lasgun
. 2x Tempestus Scion w/ Plasma Gun: 2x Plasma gun

+ Fast Attack +

Armoured Sentinels [3 PL, 55pts]
. Armoured Sentinel: Plasma Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 72pts]
. Heavy Weapons Team: Lascannon

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [22 PL, 324pts]
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter

Leman Russ Demolishers [12 PL, 180pts]
. Leman Russ Demolisher: Heavy Bolter, Turret-mounted Demolisher Siege Cannon

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [26 PL, 552pts] ++

+ HQ +

Company Commander [30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

+ Troops +

Conscripts [4 PL, 90pts]: 30x Conscript

+ Elites +

Commissar [31pts]: Bolt Pistol

Platoon Commander [2 PL, 20pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

Veterans [6 PL, 100pts]: 5x Veteran, 3x Veteran w/ Grenade Launcher, Veteran w/ Vox-caster
. Veteran Heavy Weapons Team: Missile Launcher
. Veteran Sergeant: Chainsword, Laspistol

Veterans [6 PL, 93pts]: 6x Veteran, 3x Veteran w/ Flamer, Veteran w/ Plasma Gun, Veteran w/ Vox-caster

Veterans [6 PL, 101pts]: 5x Veteran, 3x Veteran w/ Meltagun, Veteran w/ Vox-caster
+ Dedicated Transport +

Chimera [5 PL, 93pts]: Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser

Chimera [5 PL, 93pts]: Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser

Taurox [4 PL, 85pts]: 2x Autocannon

++ Vanguard Detachment (Imperium - Adeptus Astra Telepathica) [2 PL, 40pts] ++

+ HQ +

Primaris Psyker [2 PL, 40pts]: Force Stave, Gaze of the Emperor, Psychic Barrier

++ Total: [96 PL, 1848pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yeast posted:

So in 2000pts, a Guard infantry army can get a stupid amount of re-rolls.

3 for Battle forged, 27 from 3 Brigades, and then + 2 if you take Creed.

Just a causal 32 re-rollable dice per game.

edit: Guard superiority artwork for the new page:

Can you post your list? I'm confused about how you are fitting 53 units into 2000 points.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"
It'll be a poo poo ton of cheap mortar squads and sniper special weapon squads. They're under 30pts.

Also they have the cheapest HQs.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

NORTH-HALL posted:

It'll be a poo poo ton of cheap mortar squads and sniper special weapon squads. They're under 30pts.

Also they have the cheapest HQs.

Exactly this.

Mortar heavy weapon teams, grenade launcher / sniper special weapon teams.

It's absurdity.

Fast attack is the trickiest, but scout sentinels with multi lasers are the cheapest, from what I can tell.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The dumb list

HQ

9 choices

9 Company commanders
270pts

Troops
18 choices of 10 man guard squads
720pts

Elites
9 choices of special weapon teams with sniper rifles
270pts

Fast Attack
9 choices of Scout Sentinels with multil lasers 1x9
405pts

Heavy Support
9 choices of Heavy weapon squads (3) with mortars x 9
27pts = 243pts

1908points with 30 Command Dice

With 92 points to spare!

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
You're going to need all those rerolls to reroll the 1 anti tank weapon you can afford!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

NORTH-HALL posted:

You're going to need all those rerolls to reroll the 1 anti tank weapon you can afford!

I don't know, I've got the points left over to put 9 las cannons on those sentinels :getin:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It's not that broken when you can only reroll once per phase.

Besides I expect that tournaments will use the guidelines mentioned in the book are allow a maximum number of detachments based on points.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005

Yeast posted:

I don't know, I've got the points left over to put 9 las cannons on those sentinels :getin:

Oh really? Nice. I guess multi lasers cost more than I would have thought.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

You couldn't possibly use all of those re-rolls in a 6 turn game because you don't have a psyker.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Kingfish posted:

You couldn't possibly use all of those re-rolls in a 6 turn game because you don't have a psyker.

Sub out some of the company commanders for Primaris Psykers, and you could!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

True.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Loving the pictures ITT. really good stuff guys.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Just got back from the midnight release at my FLGS. I picked up my chaos book, xenos 2, objective markers, cards, and the dumb little rubber measuring aquila thing all with a 25% off retail deal! Came to around 82 American Dollars. :dance:

Played a 2v1 game (randomham SM+ me Tau vs. A buddy Guard) ended up losing by 1 VP due to not being able to push either 100 guard or a heavy support off 1 of his 2 objectives.

Did see a guy use a tzeentch demon to take control of a character with a plasma weapon, overcharge it, succeed the hit, then use a command point to reroll, fail and wipe the model because :laffo:

The objective markers are cool as gently caress and seem to be made from a really beefy plastic, the cards come in a case like a cigarette pack which I kinda like, and the dumb rubber thing is two sided, the other being yellow and grey and kinda chaos-y looking.

Had free food, hung out back with the bbq grills and beers, had some laffs and played space barbies.

Good times. :chord:

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Actually had to laugh out loud at the Tau flavor text, well done.

Had my second game yesterday, my nids and my buddies orks vs. Khorne. We won by sheer numbers. Our opponent had brought two Skull cannons for infantry clearing, which they just couldn't do. He concluded that he'll have to bring more meat to counter our meat, which I think is correct. His lord got bogged down in 30 boys and got to do gently caress all. I love that my playstyle (big mobs of cheap gaunts and hormagants, coupled with a couple big guys) seems viable now. Haven't played since 5th ed.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Too late to throw up a photo of my lads on the pile for the OP, but I'll post 'em anyway.

Altered something in the second pic, can YOU tell what I changed? :smugmrgw:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Anyone tried the iBook versions of the rule books? Strongly considering getting them. I'm getting the death guard portion of the starter set I'm splitting with a friend, they're taking the rule book, so I thought I'd look at getting the digital versions so I can read it on the train or lunch break

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hamshot posted:

Altered something in the second pic, can YOU tell what I changed? :smugmrgw:

Please stop poor shaming us, tia

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

Anyone tried the iBook versions of the rule books? Strongly considering getting them. I'm getting the death guard portion of the starter set I'm splitting with a friend, they're taking the rule book, so I thought I'd look at getting the digital versions so I can read it on the train or lunch break

I preordered the Enhanced edition of the rule book and still can't bloody download it. Seems to have vanished.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

MasterSlowPoke posted:

90power means it'll be roughly 1800 points, feel bad for that dude that owns two for some reason.

Eh, I don't mind how many points it is so long as it can go toe to toe with Imperial Titans now. Watching them get auto-deleted before moving on turn 1 by a much cheaper Warhound was never a fun use of £200+. That leak looks promising; if it can really put out a bucket of ranged damage dice each turn then Hierophants may not be a waste of time.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

xtothez posted:

Eh, I don't mind how many points it is so long as it can go toe to toe with Imperial Titans now. Watching them get auto-deleted before moving on turn 1 by a much cheaper Warhound was never a fun use of £200+. That leak looks promising; if it can really put out a bucket of ranged damage dice each turn then Hierophants may not be a waste of time.

I've got the FW Chaos index btw if you have questions

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So I played my first game using only Primaris marines.

Inceptors are absolutely brutal against infantry, 30" feels like you're lightyears away for a standard gun, but it still feels like they'd work better slotted into a regular marine army than a standalone army.

So of course I'm playing them as a standalone army :madmax:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

It's not that broken when you can only reroll once per phase.

Besides I expect that tournaments will use the guidelines mentioned in the book are allow a maximum number of detachments based on points.

I know I'll be pushing this hard at my gaming store. Makes the game more fun when you can't just spam 20 elite detachments.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I think bigly marines will be good for casual games, but ultra serious tournament play people will take a handful of biglys (particularly the plasma biglys) and the rest normal marines with tactical squads.
To fight hordes you need the tacticals and devastators.
I'm happy that the uber units in 8th are Ork boyz, genestealers, gaunts and tactical space marines.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thundercloud posted:

I think bigly marines will be good for casual games, but ultra serious tournament play people will take a handful of biglys (particularly the plasma biglys) and the rest normal marines with tactical squads.
To fight hordes you need the tacticals and devastators.
I'm happy that the uber units in 8th are Ork boyz, genestealers, gaunts and tactical space marines.

I can see the jump pack biglys being taken in other armies too, because their whole deal is just spraying a whole bunch of S5 shots, on a really mobile and surprisingly tough platform.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The thing I like about 8th is that while people are talking about how there are ways to min/max, the system is modular enough to adjust to continually balance. I feel odd for saying this, but I have actual confidence that around NOVA the first adjustments may be made, especially if the tourney scene shows an overbearing meta forming.

I'd advise against goons actually making purchases over what now will be adjusted more often (especially with the return of Chapter Approved)

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Glad to see that everyone seems to be considering guard top-tier now. I agree the amount of manpower you can get into a list is insane. I don't think 3 brigades is worth the paring down of weapons just for the command points. My fully equipped infantry list can fill a brigade in 1k, so 2 brigades at 2k seems like plenty.

Just as with conscripts (people on dakkadakka wiggling out over that poo poo) there's a hard practical limit on what you can play with. I mean, taking nothing but unarmed infantry, or scrub weapons with infinite re rolls, or 600 conscripts might be able to win by bogging down your opponent. But are you really going to turn up, fill your deployment zone end-to-end with models and spend 4 hrs shuffling them forward and rolling thousands of dice for dozens of enemy casualties? The opposite of fun imo.

Kingfish: good balanced list. I think you may be a bit disappointed in the output of leman russ tanks, but it's worth a go. If your opponent is inclined to pour fire into them rather than removing vulnerable hwts etc, it's a good deal. I would take chimeras with at least one heavy flamer in this edition. They will always be moving, so the mid strength 3 shot weapons on 5+ to hit won't have any decisive effects. Hb/hf or dual hf imo. The -1 ap for the hb seems more valuable than the s6 multilaser to me.

I also think grenade launchers are still outclassed by plasma pretty hard in his edition, and that heavy weapons won't be worth it for mobile squads. Certainly not missile launchers, where I think for 20 points you won't get much out of it in that role - a heavy flamer would be a better upgrade for a mech vet squad!

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

For the OP, the Warhammer subreddit should be r/warhammer40k. It's larger and the mods don't ban you just for existing.

Seconding this, sending people to /r/Warhammer is basically child abuse.

Also, greatest OP. Thanks for the hard work on this guys.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is there a single 8th edition army that's extremely under-powered or unplayable now? Seems like they actually made everything pretty balanced for once and most armies hover around "average" or "pretty good" but nothing seems to be "garbage" or "insta-win" anymore which is good

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

The Kingfish posted:

Also, I can't bring multiple veteran squads with different types of weapons. When I change the special weapons on one it changes the special weapons on all of them.

Report it on their github.com page

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

goose willis posted:

Is there a single 8th edition army that's extremely under-powered or unplayable now? Seems like they actually made everything pretty balanced for once and most armies hover around "average" or "pretty good" but nothing seems to be "garbage" or "insta-win" anymore which is good

While I have only played one game with them my Harlequins felt a lot worse than my dark angels, they still feel way over cost for what you get. Sure you can get off some easy turn one charges with them, but they don't actually kill the stuff when they charge... and then the enemy falls back and you get murdered cause of your low toughness and you don't benefit from cover cause you have a 4++ and no armor. They are by no means unplayable, but I didn't think anything was unplayable in 7th either.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
Are we getting a day 1 FAQ or was that just wishful thinking?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I didn't think anything was unplayable in 7th either.

Orks

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Are 8th edition starters shipping today, or is it tomorrow? The only date I see anywhere is June 17th for in-store buying.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

JesusIsTehCool posted:

While I have only played one game with them my Harlequins felt a lot worse than my dark angels, they still feel way over cost for what you get. Sure you can get off some easy turn one charges with them, but they don't actually kill the stuff when they charge... and then the enemy falls back and you get murdered cause of your low toughness and you don't benefit from cover cause you have a 4++ and no armor. They are by no means unplayable, but I didn't think anything was unplayable in 7th either.

Harlequins still feel like a splash faction to me rather than a full-fledged faction. They compliment a Wych Cult list amazingly well, for example. Granted you can often get out of Incubi what you'd get out of Harlequins, but Harlequins take the cake in versatility while costing roughly the same, and have the option for some utter bullshit like pile-in/consolidate over models or even "falling back" over whatever they're fighting to shoot and charge the poo poo out of the HQ or other support piece cowering behind the combat. The one situation where Incubi win hands down is taking low-AP shooting when in cover, as a unit with a 2+ save is going to require a lot more volume of fire to drop than a 4++ unit. But that's it for Incubi, other than Drazhar and a transport they have little synergy with the rest of the army, while Harlequins have a much higher power ceiling thanks to 2 viable HQ auras, psychic powers and if you really want to pile the hurt on one unit, 9 point fusion pistols.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Endman posted:

New thread, have some Cadians!

Those are some crisp Cadians!

Also so excited to get and paint up my nurgle half of the starter once the shop opens in a couple of hours. Trading away the primaris for another set of nurgle.

I hope the rules changed a bit from the leaks, because as it was the big cool nurgle character with the axe was just a lovely little version of Typhus that didn't boost Poxwalkers

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'd advise against goons actually making purchases over what now will be adjusted more often (especially with the return of Chapter Approved)

I'll pick up the main rule book, for everything else there are Russian pdfs.

I'll pick up the codex when they come out, which should hopefully fix some of the obvious stuff (like crushing claws on carnifex and as mentioned the Nurgle leader being weaker than Typhus for basically the same points).

LordAba fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 17, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So we've seen 3 Guard brigades at 2000 points being possible. How many brigades can other factions fit in 2000 points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

So we've seen 3 Guard brigades at 2000 points being possible. How many brigades can other factions fit in 2000 points?

Orks probably could, bugs don't have a cheap enough HQ though.