Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The Bee posted:

So we've seen 3 Guard brigades at 2000 points being possible. How many brigades can other factions fit in 2000 points?

I probably could with my R&H, and just about any horde army.

I have a feeling the Brigade CP bonus will be dropped about 4-5 if it becomes the standard, I think it was put in as something intended to be difficult to fit.

Min/maxing squads just for the re-roll bonus goes against the whole point of the formation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am pretty surprised that you are allowed 3 Detachments in 2000 points in the big Rulebook. Seems that any reasonable army should be able to get away with one.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"
Tau can fit in 3 brigades with 50 points to spare too thanks to kroot hounds and sniper drone teams.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Finally have my bigmars. These monopose kits are great quality, I'm really hyped for the multipart ones now. The classic marines look really lame next to the bigmars though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ayn Marx posted:

Finally have my bigmars. These monopose kits are great quality, I'm really hyped for the multipart ones now. The classic marines look really lame next to the bigmars though.

I've got the starter kit ones as well. I think I'm gonna do one squad as Deathwatch and maybe do the rest as add-ons to my White Panthers. I was really impressed with the models.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

I probably could with my R&H, and just about any horde army.

I have a feeling the Brigade CP bonus will be dropped about 4-5 if it becomes the standard, I think it was put in as something intended to be difficult to fit.

Min/maxing squads just for the re-roll bonus goes against the whole point of the formation.

I wonder how effective it's really going to be. At a certain point you're going to be forced to use a lot of the rerolls on lasgun shots and 6+ armour saves just so they're not wasted.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Only managed to get one small game of 8th in, but it was a lot more fun and oh so much less of a faff on to play.

A few observations about T'au in 8th:

-Ghostkeels are the poo poo. Mine with a Fusion Collider racked up Pask, 2 Leman Russes and a Hellhound over the game, out performing my Riptide while only recieving a fraction of the damage the 'tide did. I can see them being much more popular.

-The S/T/A buffs to Crisis suits have made them surprisingly decent in combat. Nothing amazing, but decently survivable. One squad managed to fend off a pair of Callidus long enough to retreat out and finish them off.

-I'm in two minds whether or not it's worth it to buy Marker Drones as a squad by themselves or attachments for Battlesuit squads. Since the Martyr Protocols and Drone Controller buffs are auras now and they already separate off from the parent squad after deployment, some cheap Drone Swarm squads might be preferable over making your already expensive suits moreso.

-Markerlights are so important it's not even funny. Even just one hit improves your shooting by so much, take as many as you can bear.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone still needs this sort of thing, there is a free pdf of the core rules:
http://www.warhammerdigital.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/rules/Warhammer-40k-Battle-Primer-English.pdf

Maybe it could go somewhere in the OP?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Is it intended that the grenade harness is AP1 instead of AP-1 I wonder? Weird to pay 8 points for an AP +1 frag grenade.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

chutche2 posted:

Is it intended that the grenade harness is AP1 instead of AP-1 I wonder? Weird to pay 8 points for an AP +1 frag grenade.

Likely a typo. Tervigon talons are AP3 on its datasheet but AP-3 in the summary

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I should probably get off my arse some time today and go pick up the book.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
There is a designers commentary up today, basically a mini FAQ.

https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary-ENG.pdf

Rerolls then modifiers always. Shooting stealth suits with plasma just got real dangerous.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

New edition, new army, new player. I love my precious dust sons

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I assembled my remaining Genestealer Cult models today but since there's a rainstorm outside I can't prime them >:|

Also, I played a game of 8th with my Chaos buddy and his Berzerkers are crazy powerful now holy poo poo

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Lots in this FAQ. Charging a unit with a character behind another unit is a good strategy since it can't be targeted for Overwatch.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Stealth suits are terrifying in 8th. Ghostkeel's especially.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
New edition has got me painting my Metalica Ad Mech. Props to our benevolent leader SRM for pushing me to do the cog pattern on the Dominus.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Danimo posted:

Post More.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Solemn Sloth posted:

Anyone tried the iBook versions of the rule books? Strongly considering getting them. I'm getting the death guard portion of the starter set I'm splitting with a friend, they're taking the rule book, so I thought I'd look at getting the digital versions so I can read it on the train or lunch break

I've heard good things about the iBook versions of their rules, right now, however, I'm battling with the epub3 versions that the non-Apple plebs have to deal with: I can't find any way to read it comfortable on PC, and the apps that the GW Digital site suggest for use on android run slow/don't display things properly. :argh:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The Sisko posted:

New edition has got me painting my Metalica Ad Mech. Props to our benevolent leader SRM for pushing me to do the cog pattern on the Dominus.

Those are badass. What did you use for the white? I'm looking at using VMA white grey with metallic medium.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Got 2 sets of the primaris, working on bashing one of the Captains with Pedro to make a Bigly Pedro. Also gonna make one of the intercessor squads sternguard. Converting monopose models should be fun.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
First game of 40k in ages for me next week. 1000 points, gonna bring nids. Is this list alright, or will it be easily countered?

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [66 PL, 999pts] ++

+ HQ +

Broodlord [8 PL, 162pts]

Hive Tyrant [10 PL, 185pts]: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Prehensile Pincer Tail

+ Troops +

Genestealers [12 PL, 180pts]
. 15x Genestealer: 15x Rending Claws, 15x Scything Talons

Genestealers [12 PL, 180pts]
. 15x Genestealer: 15x Rending Claws, 15x Scything Talons

Termagants [6 PL, 52pts]: 13x Termagant (Fleshborer)

Termagants [6 PL, 52pts]: 13x Termagant (Fleshborer)

+ Heavy Support +

Carnifexes [6 PL, 94pts]
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Thresher Scythe

Carnifexes [6 PL, 94pts]
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Thresher Scythe

++ Total: [66 PL, 999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

OhDearGodNo posted:

Those are badass. What did you use for the white? I'm looking at using VMA white grey with metallic medium.

Thanks for the kind words. My recipe for the white is basecoat of GW Rakarth Flesh, then a thinned out wash of seraphim sepia, then layer pallid wych flesh, final highlights with a pure white.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Xarlaxas posted:

I've heard good things about the iBook versions of their rules, right now, however, I'm battling with the epub3 versions that the non-Apple plebs have to deal with: I can't find any way to read it comfortable on PC, and the apps that the GW Digital site suggest for use on android run slow/don't display things properly. :argh:

Try Readium. It's a chrome addon

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Its not too late to past pics of all my mans right?

30k Thousand Sons:

Aeeaeuldariiaiai:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Floppychop posted:

Try Readium. It's a chrome addon

You are a life-saver: Readium seems to be a better epub reader than any of the *dedicated* epub reading apps. :aaaaa:

I guess Chrome is my official eReader now! It's mind-boggling that "zoom" and "fit to width of screen" functions don't seem to exist anywhere else though.

Now I can actually start reading the rules and thinking how to organize my toy soldiers instead of cursing at various .exe files on my desktop. :v:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Got the Primaris half of Dark Imperium for £50. Purple Biglys begin :madmax:

Kids and Guns
Apr 1, 2013
I haven't played since 6th Edition, but my local shop was selling starters for about $100. I split it and got the Death Guard for only 50.

Guess I'm getting sucked back in!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

First game of 40k in ages for me next week. 1000 points, gonna bring nids. Is this list alright, or will it be easily countered?

A walking tyrant really needs tyrant guard if you can swing the points, they are decent on their own when they hit combat too.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kids and Guns posted:

I haven't played since 6th Edition, but my local shop was selling starters for about $100. I split it and got the Death Guard for only 50.

Guess I'm getting sucked back in!

Welcome back! Good time to come back.

Hixson posted:

Its not too late to past pics of all my mans right?

30k Thousand Sons:

<LOTS OF RAD MANS>

These are loving rad as hell

Danimo posted:

These are also great and if I'd had this before the thread went up, I'd have used this for the Thousand Sons banner :)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Re: the Brigade chat. It's a case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's more an experiment in list building than anything.

For example if you roll up a kill points mission you may as well concede before deployment and spend the 2hrs at the pub having drinks.

8th is quickly showing us that balanced lists are actually viable in this edition, and min maxing runs into some of its own problems. I think that's awesome.

I have a 1750pt tournament in a month, and my guard are going into a single Brigade. Works really well.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Our death guard player is supposed to dust off her 4th ed army this week, looking forward to it.

My first ever game was imperial guard vs plague marines and that super did not go well. They did not give a poo poo about my lasguns. Plus I've got my own plans for a chaos army so seeing them in action will be nice.

Re balanced lists being best: I dunno. One of my friends has a list that's nothing but dreadnoughts and techmarines, and none of his games so far have even been close. Edition is still young though. But I do think skew lists are going to beat balanced lists, like in most games.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 17, 2017

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Dumb question but I never played a mini game before. On the data sheets, what does the number after the weapon type mean? Does Heavy 6 mean six shots?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moose-Alini posted:

Dumb question but I never played a mini game before. On the data sheets, what does the number after the weapon type mean? Does Heavy 6 mean six shots?

Yup, exactly.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Our death guard player is supposed to dust off her 4th ed army this week, looking forward to it.

My first ever game was imperial guard vs plague marines and that super did not go well. They did not give a poo poo about my lasguns. Plus I've got my own plans for a chaos army so seeing them in action will be nice.

Re balanced lists being best: I dunno. One of my friends has a list that's nothing but dreadnoughts and techmarines, and none of his games so far have even been close. Edition is still young though.

What kind of dreads?

Sleepyjacked
Sep 21, 2010

People are postin pics so I figured I'd contribute.

Some of my Guard:

]

Some Tzeentchies:

Apologies for my (lack of) photo skills.

Sleepyjacked fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 17, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What kind of dreads?

Don't remember off the top of my head, he owns like 20 that he swaps around in his list. He's got some ironclads, contemptors, venerable shooty dreads, and some FW stuff like mortis dreads and a leviathan I got him the rules for last night.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sleepyjacked posted:

People are postin pics so I figured I'd contribute.

Some of my Guard:

Man I always get nervous when someone says they're painting their Guard red, but this is how you do it right. Owns.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

chutche2 posted:

he owns like 20 .

I like this person, dreads own.

Painted my first primaris, one of the new demo models. They aint bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Are the various deepstrike rules considered moving in the movement phase?

I'm wondering about a Tyrannofex with Fleshborer Hive, because that's 40 S5 AP -1 shots when it didn't move at 18".