Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TKIY posted:

Are the various deepstrike rules considered moving in the movement phase?

I'm wondering about a Tyrannofex with Fleshborer Hive, because that's 40 S5 AP -1 shots when it didn't move at 18".

Yeah they count as having moved. Check the "Reinforcements" section on the side of the Movement phase page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

chutche2 posted:

Re balanced lists being best: I dunno. One of my friends has a list that's nothing but dreadnoughts and techmarines, and none of his games so far have even been close. Edition is still young though. But I do think skew lists are going to beat balanced lists, like in most games.

Thing is, what makes them super powerful? For matched play, a few tweaks to dread point cost might change that up, and for narrative bumping the PL up about 3-4 points per unit might be enough to tone it down without having a ripple effect.

I'm at least very hopeful.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Got the Primaris half of Dark Imperium for £50. Purple Biglys begin :madmax:

Purple is the best, Biglys even more so!

Someone down here in the jungles of Latin America is getting his hands on a Dark Imperium box soon so I might get his Primaris half as he's all Nurgle.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

Yeah they count as having moved. Check the "Reinforcements" section on the side of the Movement phase page.

Yeah just reread that. Still drop him into cover and it's 20 shots and you have to dig 14 T8 3+ wounds out or face forty shots the next turn.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TKIY posted:

Yeah just reread that. Still drop him into cover and it's 20 shots and you have to dig 14 T8 3+ wounds out or face forty shots the next turn.

Yep - Tyranid monsters are very, very spooky this edition.

30" move first turn chargers are also terrifying.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Yep - Tyranid monsters are very, very spooky this edition.

30" move first turn chargers are also terrifying.

Hmmm it's differently scary than I thought, no AP on the Fleshborer so it's not quite as good as a heavy bolter, but it also gets the stinger thing which is 4 shots with the heavy bolter profile. 24 shots in round one, 48 in round two...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
When you're out putting that many shots, pure weight of dice is going to mean stuff dies.

Only Russ variant I'm taking at 1750 is a punisher with 3 heavy bolters.

That's at least 29 dice rolling every turn. Plus or minus a heavy stubber.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
So if I am playing Guard and I want to take the Tempestus Scions, can I take them in the same detachment? Or does it need to be a separate one because they are tempestus?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

When you're out putting that many shots, pure weight of dice is going to mean stuff dies.

Only Russ variant I'm taking at 1750 is a punisher with 3 heavy bolters.

That's at least 29 dice rolling every turn. Plus or minus a heavy stubber.

He's only hitting on 5+ in the first round, and at 7 wounds he drops to 5+ too, but he's still a monster in assault too.

Not sure I'll run it but it seems worth trying at least once.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What kind of dreads?

:downsrim:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Raphus C posted:

I like this person, dreads own.

Painted my first primaris, one of the new demo models. They aint bad.

Yeah his dreads are rad.

It's something any game with such an open and permissive army building system has.

If you build an army where 25% is good at killing vehicles, 25% is good at killing GEQ, 25% MEQ, 25% TEQ, and those weapons are all fairly efficient at killing one category and inefficient at killing the others, then if you fight an army that consists 75-100% of one of those categories you're going to be at a disadvantage.

This is a core problem of this kind of game. Look at warmachine facing skews where for months the only winning lists consisted of nothing but the cheapest warjacks so that you couldn't kill enough to take board positions. 40k is facing the same problem and we'll see in a few months to a year what steps they take to correct it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Battle Report: 1500 Orks vs Space Marines
Wait, Space Marines Reroll Leadership?

My buddy and I decided to give 8th edition a shot. He hasn't played in over a decade, I haven't played since 6th turned the whole game into a shitshow, so why the hell not. He dusted off his models, I put together a force, and we decided to see how things went. We decided to do something basic; No Mercy with Dawn of War Deployment.

Orks
2 Big Meks w/ KFF
2 WAAAGH! Nobz
2 Squads of 18 Slugga Boyz w/ PK Nob
1 Squad of 30 Boyz w/ 3 Big Shootas, PK Nob w/ Kustom Shoota
2 Battlewagons w/ 'Ard Case, 3 Big Shootas, & Deffrolla
2 Dakkajets w/ 6 Supa Shootas

Marines
Captain w/ Relic Blade
Terminator Captain w/ Relic Blade & Storm Bolter
5 Scouts w/ Camo Cloak & Sniper Rifle
2 Squads of 10 Space Marines w/ Missile Launcher & Flamer
Apothecary
Dreadnought w/ Multi Melta & DCCW
Dreadnought w/ 2x Twin Autocannon
Dreadnought w/ Twin Lascannon & DCCW
5 Assault Marines w/ Jump Packs
Land Speeder w/ Heavy Bolter & Typhoon ML
Whirlwind

Deployment

We used a 5'x4' space since that's what my table can handle. You can see the terrain above; a combination of craters, Hex Platformer towers, and barricades. The battle for the planet of Greyplas will be hard fought. My Big Mek warlord ended up getting the leadership trait (Woo...) while the Power Armor Captain got the 6+ save against all wounds (Boo!). I set up first with a Battlewagon in the center; being able to put multiple units inside a vehicle meant my opponent had to show a lot more than I did oh hey they just FAQ'd it so that everything inside a transport is declared at once with the transport. I put both Battlewagons along a flank, had the 30 shoota boyz march up the other side of the field, and put the Dakkajets on the flank assuming they would have to make a turn and strafe everything. Since weapon facing is gone positioning flyers is a lot more flexible. The Space Marines were deployed with the Land Speeder along one flank with the Whirlwind behind cover. The first tactical squad was backed by the Terminator Captain and the quad autocannon dread. On the Space Marine right flank the assault marines were backed by the other Captain and the Lascannon dread. On the far right was the second tactical squad and the multi-melta dread. The scouts set up on the highest point of cover in the ruins on the right.

The Orks finished first so we went first after my opponent failed to seize initiative.

Turn 1 - Orks
The Orks advanced aggressively, with everyone pushing forward before dumping every bit of firepower available into the assault squad to get first blood. The real firepower was in the Dakkajets who did the majority of the damage while the other squads got a few. Being able to dump 18 shots that hit on 4's is fantastic, especially given how hard it is to hit a jet in response. The assault squads melt and first blood go to the Orks. The scouts in cover were also wounded once.

Turn 1 - Space Marines
My buddy unloads with his shooting, and we quickly learn that his dice are cursed. The MM dread takes aim and shoots at a Dakkajet, missing it but hitting it on a reroll before proceeding to roll a 1 to wound. The shoota boyz start to take casualties as the tactical marines, scouts, and Whirlwind kill a total of 12 from combined fire. Meanwhile on the other flank the battlewagons take fire from the remainder of the force to no effect; not a single shot proceeds to hit or wound vs T8 in spite of the presence of the Captains and I don't even get to roll a KFF save. The tactical marines decide that they should be able to handle the tank in front of them and proceed to charge it, thinking that at least they could wrap around and prevent the boys inside from doing anything. Instead they proceed to do nothing while the Deff Rolla takes out five. The Tactical Marines roll boxcars on the leadership test and in the span of single roll the squad disappears.

We might have forgotten that Marines can reroll leadership. Whoops.

Turn 1 Total: Orks 3, Marines 0

Turn 2 - Orks
The slugga boyz spill out while the Dakkajets make a hard turn to strafe the line. Shooting from the wagons and slugga boyz knocks two wounds off the Land Speeder, and completely by accident I manage to maneuver my Dakkajet so that the Warlord Captain is closest. Four wounds later the Captain is nearly dead, but the other Dakkajet is sadly too far and instead has to blast the scouts without effect. The shootas do just as little and then everything that isn't a flyer on my side charges. One Battlewagon manages to get into range of the Whirlwind and takes off five wounds, the slugga boyz destroy the Land Speeder before consolidating into the Whirlwind, and then the combined force of 18 boyz, a WAAAGH! Nob, and a Battlewagon manage to take off three wounds from the Terminator Captain. In retaliation he turns around and slices the WAAAGH! Nob from brains to fungal balls with a relic blade. Whoops, probably shouldn't have put the Nob in combat. The slugga boyz also wrap around and engage the Dreadnought, preventing it from escaping. On the other side of the field the shoota boyz kill a scout and maneuver into engaging the tactical squad without taking overwatch; in response they kill three boyz.

Turn 2 - Space Marines
The scouts smartly fall back by jumping off the tower they were on while the unengaged dreadnoughts retaliate. The Lascannon Dread takes aim and blows several wounds off the Dakkajet, but that's all that really happens in shooting before charges are declared. Combat is fierce between the tank and the slugga boyz; 2 orks die before the Nob tears apart the vehicle. The Terminator Captain succumbs to the volume of attacks before he can respond, but on the other flank the combined forces of tactical marines and dreadnought start to wear down the shoota boyz. In response the shoota boyz concentrate all of their attacks on the tactical squad, taking out enough that when my buddy rolls another boxcars for the Leadership test they are wiped out. At this point we've been playing for two hours, my friend doesn't have many forces left, and he concedes so we can do hobby stuff and pay attention to our neglected wives and children.

Turn 2 Total: Orks 8, Marines 0

Impressions
  • Orks are fun!
  • Battlewagons that are meant to go forward and murder stuff may not need guns. By the second turn I was embroiled in close combat and wasn't able to shoot.
  • The KFF Meks did nothing. Part of that was because my buddy was overwhelmed and didn't really focus fire, but I believe that given their high toughness those points might be better spent elsewhere.
  • Deffrollas are amazing. 6 S8 attacks that hit on a 2+, wound T4 on a 2+, and have a -2 to armor saves does a great job of eroding down marines.
  • Dakkajets seem really good for their points. They're surprisingly tough, put out an incredible volume of fire, and can maneuver all over the place.
  • I can see that Orks really suffer against tanks outside of Power Klaws. I may redo the list to eliminate the KFF Meks and put in Ghaz and Weirdboys to provide more maneuvering and impact.
  • I'm really starting to doubt if shoota boyz are worth it compared to the extra attack of slugga boyz, but I only got a few rounds of shooting in before I changed units.
  • The WAAAGH! Nobs really seemed to help, but they're expensive at 84 points each and I might want to hold off
  • This was my buddy's first game in nearly a decade, and his dice were absolutely abhorrent. Even if his tactical squads hadn't been wiped out due to us forgetting about the Marine morale benefit he really suffered.
  • I don't think any unit got cover or had LOS problems.
  • I think that Dreadnoughts with quad autocannons will be incredibly useful this edition. Being able to shoot 8 times and do 2 damage every wound is extremely powerful.
  • Small squads seem extremely vulnerable. My buddy has already said that he'll likely get rid of the assault squad.
  • The game is really great. Tight, well designed, and maneuvering plays a major role in getting the advantage against your foe. Things like maneuvering your units to engage forces you want to fight next turn, making sure aura effects are appropriately located, etc.
  • I think my friend really suffered by not focusing the dreads together and putting as much fire into the Battlewagons as possible.

All in all I had an incredible time, and I'm excited to play again!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Black_Nexus posted:

So if I am playing Guard and I want to take the Tempestus Scions, can I take them in the same detachment? Or does it need to be a separate one because they are tempestus?

Some one, keyword Astra Militarum.

All it means is your platoon commanders can't order them, and the Tempestor Prime can't order Imperial Guardsman.

The hot tip is to run the Tempestor Prime, and two 5 man Scion squads. for 1 HQ and 2 Troops that can all deep strike on turn 1 if you want.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I talked myself into buying the box to get biglies so I picked that up and also played a game today. Got stomped as usual. Asked some guys what they'd recommend for an Ultramarine army to make myself more competitive. They told me to get more vehicles.

Why'd I buy biglies again :v:

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I'm digging the Bigmars.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Since people are asking about rules here, how many seeker missiles can you fire from a model per turn? As many as you want/have?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

evilmiera posted:

Since people are asking about rules here, how many seeker missiles can you fire from a model per turn? As many as you want/have?

They look like separate weapons, so as many as you have.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I believe, since it's classed as a ballistic weapon, it follows the normal rules for the model equipped with it. If it can fire multiple weapons, it can fired multiple rockets since each one is a different weapon.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
8TH EDITION BATTLE REPORT: CHAOS VS. NECRONS

Had time to play a game of 40k today, 2,000 points of Chaos Space Marines (World Eaters) & Khorne Daemons vs. Necrons. Thanks to the release of the Forgeworld Index today, I was able to incorporate one of my biggest models: The Kharybdis Assault Drop Pod. For this mission, I stuffed it full of 19 Berserkers (2 squads) and a Chaos Lord. 3 Power Axes on the characters, everyone else had chainaxes. Also brought the Bloodthirster, some cultists, some Bloodletters, a squad of Flesh Hounds, a squad of terminators with lightning claws, and 390 points set aside for summoning stuff.

The Mission was Maelstrom: Spoils of War. I wanted to try the new Maelstrom Tactical Objectives, which are different from the 7th edition list by quite a bit. We ended up getting "Spoils" as our mission, which is the most luck-driven IMO, since anyone can score any "Secure Objective X" objective during their turn. That said--it wasn't nearly as bad as 7th, in part because only 12 of the objectives (instead of 18) are "Score objective X" now. This ended up making things a lot more enjoyable, since I never felt like I was just getting hosed over by bad card luck during the game.

Deployment:

What Went Down:
- I ended up using the points to summon a squad of Flesh Hounds (meh), Blood Crushers (good), and a Skull Cannon (terrible mistake) throughout the game. Early on I used the Bloodthirster to capture a forward objective, which ended up being a huge mistake because it put him too close to my opponent's Lychguard, who eventually used the bonus from Anrakyr to chase him down and murder the gently caress out of him, because Bloodthirsters really aren't poo poo this edition and Lychguard with Warscythes are loving brutal.

- On the other hand, I dropped the Kharybdis right down in the middle of my opponent's poo poo and proceeded to punish him all game. 19 Berserkers and a Chaos Lord poured out, then promptly mulched a squad of Necron Warriors. I wasn't able to get past it and consolidate into the squad behind them though, which was *brutal*--I could only get a Cryptek and a Ghost Arc caught in my charge, the latter of which had Fly and dropped back, leading to a bunch of berserkers eating it when the other squad of Warriors that didn't get mulched and some Tomb Blades unloaded into them. Only 3 of them and the Chaos Lord survived, but they'd eventually get some damage in.

- The Kharybdis was loving Game MVP. The Thermal Jet Array was brutally effective at damaging multiple units per turn (the missile pods were kind of poo poo since they only hit on 5+ when you move now), and the Melta Ram put in enough work to kill the Doom Scythe in 2 hits--make sure to keep CP around to re-roll that poo poo if you take one. Overall the Kharybdis killed the Doom Scythe, the Ghost Arc, a Cryptek, a Tomb Spyder, and a bunch of Warriors, Immortals, and Tomb Blades.

- The Skullcannon just sucks. Maybe I needed to get it into close combat but it just wasn't very good. I also never rolled more than 1 shot with it, even when it got D6 from shooting at warriors.

- My Bloodcrushers and Juggernaut Lord ended up making it up the flank to wreck house, but caught bad luck when his Orikan went Super Sayan right as they arrived. I eventually took him down, but not before he killed my Warlord.

- The Bloodcrushers, remaining berserkers, and Terminators swept up the flank and made short work of the immortals along with the Kharybdis, but ultimately I wasn't able to catch up on VPs as my opponent scored +3 VPs for capping a specific objective with his warlord. It kept him from buffing some units, so that probably helped me, but overall I couldn't make up the gap quick enough and the game ending early on turn 5 left me losing, 12-7.

THE HIGHLIGHTS

My Kharybdis drops in to unload some homeboys. I love this loving thing

The Lychguard try to chase down some Bloodletters after they turn the Bloodthirster into a lovely, hairly pulp. The Bloodletters just fled, leaving the Lychguard holding their tiny robot dicks most of the game without a Lord to boost their movement/charges

The Berserkers sweep in from the side, then get shot to poo poo after killing one 18-man Necron Warrior squad

The Kharybdis flew around, dropping fire and melta bursts on loving everything

Juggerlord rides in like a boss

But then gets stopped by this stupid blue rear end in a top hat all high on C'Tan butthole juice or star power or some poo poo

The Kharybdis ends up locked in combat with Anrakyr, where it probably would have gotten him eventually. Maybe.

Thoughts:
- Berserkers are real loving good. Also chainaxes are really good too. I like them more than chainswords, especially against Necrons where you're gonna go up against a lot of T5 douchebags

- Skullcannons are bad

- Bloodthirsters seem bad unless you've got big targets to take on. I dunno it seems like big monsters just don't have enough attacks to make it worth it and now that he can be hit on a 2+ or 3+ by any rear end in a top hat with a knife, his survivability seems way lower

- The Kharybdis was game MVP, easily. That thing is so hilariously good

- Bloodcrushers are good now, which owns. They get so many attacks, and not being able to be instant death'd is a huge improvement

- Lychguard are stupid loving dangerous

- The new Tactical Objectives deck is a million times better than the old one. The 2-turn objective missions are a big improvement, and only a few of the cards were downright unscore-able, and only one (use/negate a psychic power) was unplayable from the start of the game. The cards weren't in my favor this time, but I didn't feel like I got hosed, and if we'd had a turn 6, I'd have probably tied it up.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Has anyone here used Mephiston red spray? I'm considering it to accelerate the base work on my loyalist Primaris Thousand Sons. Does it need a primer underneath?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

8TH EDITION BATTLE REPORT: CHAOS VS. NECRONS
:words:

So much better than my report!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Battle Report: 1500 Orks vs Space Marines
Wait, Space Marines Reroll Leadership?

Impressions
  • Orks are fun!
  • Battlewagons that are meant to go forward and murder stuff may not need guns. By the second turn I was embroiled in close combat and wasn't able to shoot.
  • The KFF Meks did nothing. Part of that was because my buddy was overwhelmed and didn't really focus fire, but I believe that given their high toughness those points might be better spent elsewhere.
  • Deffrollas are amazing. 6 S8 attacks that hit on a 2+, wound T4 on a 2+, and have a -2 to armor saves does a great job of eroding down marines.
  • Dakkajets seem really good for their points. They're surprisingly tough, put out an incredible volume of fire, and can maneuver all over the place.
  • I can see that Orks really suffer against tanks outside of Power Klaws. I may redo the list to eliminate the KFF Meks and put in Ghaz and Weirdboys to provide more maneuvering and impact.
  • I'm really starting to doubt if shoota boyz are worth it compared to the extra attack of slugga boyz, but I only got a few rounds of shooting in before I changed units.
  • The WAAAGH! Nobs really seemed to help, but they're expensive at 84 points each and I might want to hold off
  • This was my buddy's first game in nearly a decade, and his dice were absolutely abhorrent. Even if his tactical squads hadn't been wiped out due to us forgetting about the Marine morale benefit he really suffered.
  • I don't think any unit got cover or had LOS problems.
  • I think that Dreadnoughts with quad autocannons will be incredibly useful this edition. Being able to shoot 8 times and do 2 damage every wound is extremely powerful.
  • Small squads seem extremely vulnerable. My buddy has already said that he'll likely get rid of the assault squad.
  • The game is really great. Tight, well designed, and maneuvering plays a major role in getting the advantage against your foe. Things like maneuvering your units to engage forces you want to fight next turn, making sure aura effects are appropriately located, etc.
  • I think my friend really suffered by not focusing the dreads together and putting as much fire into the Battlewagons as possible.

All in all I had an incredible time, and I'm excited to play again!

Nah man, I was just about to post--good report! It's been my experience that people tend to not care about the turn-by-turn so I just do the highlights unless there's something particularly tactically interesting about the game worth discussing. Also, more photos that show off cool game details and less "here is the table on turn X." The impressions are good though--very interesting to read.

I agree that the game is really tight now. Our 2,000-point game took just under 3 hours at a fairly leisurely pace, and while that's not super-fast, we also checked the game rules maybe once the entire time. HUGE improvement over 7th, where we'd check the rules a minimum of 3 times per game for some stupid corner case or USR.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

GreenMarine posted:

Has anyone here used Mephiston red spray? I'm considering it to accelerate the base work on my loyalist Primaris Thousand Sons. Does it need a primer underneath?

I've used it a pretty fair amount for my Blood Angels. It works pretty well but I'd definitely have some primer on underneath

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I can't decide whether it's better to have the Necron Lord on foot so he can't be shot at or if it would be better to take the Command Barge for the better shooting and extra aura range.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm seeing Dark Imperium boxes on eBay for 130 dollars. Good price, buy it now? Or will I find it cheaper somewhere else?

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

panascope posted:

Post More.

Okay. I don't have much more painted up. Here's the guy with the icon of flame in the Rubric Squad. He's very contemplative about this skull he found.

And this is the only Tzaangor I've painted so far, as a prototype for the rest. They're probably getting painted up next.

TheChirurgeon posted:

These are also great and if I'd had this before the thread went up, I'd have used this for the Thousand Sons banner :)

Thanks. The rhino wasn't finished until last night and I guess I was intimidated by the quality of the other faction shots.

Quick battle reports for my first games of 40k:

1. 25 PL "Only War' scenario game. My army is the stuff in my original picture (rhino, 10 rubrics, exalted sorcerer on disc), his was Admech. I don't know the names of any of the AdMech units but it was a Tech-Priest, robo-spider with biggest gun, 5 man heavy weapon squad and 5 man squad of dual-wielding close combat specialists.

My Exalted Sorceror managed to do a 6 wound Smite on turn one into the robot spider without exposing himself, and my opponent generally had a bad time as the Rubrics dumped heavy fire into everything. He just took potshots to little effect. Smite seemed really good, even the Rubric Sorceror's lovely Smite

2. 1000 points, the matched play scenario with an objective in each player's deployment zone. I had the same list + 10 Tzaangors, 5 Scarab Occult Terminators and Helbrute (power scourge, twin lascannon). He played Sisters of Battle (2 dual flamer transports with 5 sister squads, 10 sister squad with some heavier guns, Celestine, Exorcist tank, some characters with buffs?).

It started off well as I cleaned the 10 sister squad off the table on the top of round 1, but I left the Sorcerer on a walkway above my mass of Tzaangors and Rubrics. I thought he'd be safe and he was safe from everyone but a Celestine that uses Act of Faith to move at the start of the turn, then move again so that she's in easy charge range. After 4 rounds of Celestine just straight murdering my stuff he tabled me. I was doing pretty well against everything else but I didn't have a good way to deal with Celestine, especially after he shot the Helbrute off the table on turn 1.

Now that I'm home and looking at the leaked Imperium 2 index I think he was doing too many Acts of Faith per turn. I guess I should have checked him on that. Not sure it would have mattered, it was just a 4x4 table so Celestine didn't need to zoom around much after turn 1.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

GreenMarine posted:

I've heard say the primer and the colors are the same ingredients so you shouldn't need to prime.

I always do anyway...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nah man, I was just about to post--good report! It's been my experience that people tend to not care about the turn-by-turn so I just do the highlights unless there's something particularly tactically interesting about the game worth discussing. Also, more photos that show off cool game details and less "here is the table on turn X." The impressions are good though--very interesting to read.

I agree that the game is really tight now. Our 2,000-point game took just under 3 hours at a fairly leisurely pace, and while that's not super-fast, we also checked the game rules maybe once the entire time. HUGE improvement over 7th, where we'd check the rules a minimum of 3 times per game for some stupid corner case or USR.

Yeah I'll keep that in mind for the future. I can definitely see how highlights and analysis are the most interesting aspects. I'm just remembering the good ole' days of WD when they had really comprehensive (if horribly run) reports. But then again that was two decades ago.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

panascope posted:

I can't decide whether it's better to have the Necron Lord on foot so he can't be shot at or if it would be better to take the Command Barge for the better shooting and extra aura range.

There is so much good shooting in Necrons, keeping safe on foot is a good idea. I am trying to decide what to do for troops. Max Warrior Squads or Immortals? I am going to try one 20 man warrior squad and 2 10 man Immortal units.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Question, I'm slowly breaking into thousand sons (Have 3 squads of rubrics, scarab terminators, ahriman and magnus) and looking at where to go from here. If I decided I wanted a helbrute, do you think I could get away with using a space marine dreadnought? I'm not wild about the helbrute because I feel like the whole skin fused to machine thing doesn't jive with Thousand Sons. But a space marine dreadnought in thousand sons, minus some of the imperium iconography like purity seals basically looks like a sarcophagus on a robot and I think could work. Would this be allowed or would most give me poo poo over it?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

RagnarokAngel posted:

Question, I'm slowly breaking into thousand sons (Have 3 squads of rubrics, scarab terminators, ahriman and magnus) and looking at where to go from here. If I decided I wanted a helbrute, do you think I could get away with using a space marine dreadnought? I'm not wild about the helbrute because I feel like the whole skin fused to machine thing doesn't jive with Thousand Sons. But a space marine dreadnought in thousand sons, minus some of the imperium iconography like purity seals basically looks like a sarcophagus on a robot and I think could work. Would this be allowed or would most give me poo poo over it?

Totally makes sense. See if you can get some sort of bird head for the dread to add to the look.

Also, see if you can maybe source a betrayl at Calth one for cheap. They're pretty easy to convert.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

goose willis posted:

I'm seeing Dark Imperium boxes on eBay for 130 dollars. Good price, buy it now? Or will I find it cheaper somewhere else?

That's $5 more pre-tax than what my FLGS charges, so if the shipping is free it's probably a fine deal. You may end up finding one cheaper, but it's hard to say depending on how long you're willing to wait.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I've got about 3000 points worth of Blood Angels and a few 8th Ed games under my belt now, and I'm looking to start another army for the first time ever. I'm looking at Necrons. Does anyone have any links outlining what sucks/doesn't suck in 8th Ed for Necrons - units, strategies, strengths and weaknesses?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mortanis posted:

I've got about 3000 points worth of Blood Angels and a few 8th Ed games under my belt now, and I'm looking to start another army for the first time ever. I'm looking at Necrons. Does anyone have any links outlining what sucks/doesn't suck in 8th Ed for Necrons - units, strategies, strengths and weaknesses?

your best bet at this stage is to read faction specific threads on forums like Bolter and Chainsword or Dakka Dakka.

Problem is they're awful places, so not yet- it's still a bit early.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mortanis posted:

I always liked 1d4chan's tactics pages when looking at a new list.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Necrons(8E)

Given 8th is new it's pretty short but seems like a good shorthand of "What does X do?"

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
1d4chan is an excellent source of tactics and informal write-ups about the fluff but it would be nice if it wasn't littered with LOL RAPE and dumbass old memes from circa 2007 /tg/

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

TKIY posted:

Lots in this FAQ. Charging a unit with a character behind another unit is a good strategy since it can't be targeted for Overwatch.

Eh?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

You can't target a character unless they're the closest unit. This includes for Overwatch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Character can't be shot at unless they are the closest unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Basically Overwatch is a free opportunity to declare a shooting attack against the target charging you. If you can't actually perform the attack due range, visibility, or targeting rules then it doesn't happen.