Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Also, Overwatch requires line of sight, but charging does not.

So deploying an assault unit behind a dedicated transport that blocks LOS and then declaring a charge is a totally viable move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I'm assembling the models from the starter today. I haven't worked with plastics before, do these need to be washed prior to priming?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I was able to get a game in against a green tide style Ork list today with my Blood Angels.
I came very close to tabling my opponent but ended up losing due to points after turn 5.

Overall the highlight of the game was me deepstriking a unit of Sanguinary Guard and a Captain into his backfield and knocking Ghazghkull down to 2 wounds with plasma pistol fire. The guard made their charge but my captain failed his even with a command point reroll, leading to my the guard failing to put a single wound on that bastard ork and my captain getting surrounded and quickly cut down.

Ghazghkull then proceeded to eat a full 3 rounds of shooting from my Sicaran without going down, due in large part to some little rear end in a top hat behind him who kept restoring wounds. It was depressing beyond words.

Overall hordes do feel pretty manageable. I took a pair of Stormtalons and they put in some serious work killing boys. My terminators were pretty effective at range but became almost completely useless once they got into assault. Is it just me or do power fists seem pretty bad now for their point cost?

I didn't get many good pictures but here's a shot of my deepstrikers shortly before things turned ugly:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Mugaaz posted:

I'm assembling the models from the starter today. I haven't worked with plastics before, do these need to be washed prior to priming?

No, washing is only for (some) resin

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Figured I should actually paint Typhus up now since he buffs the gently caress out of poxwalkers

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

TKIY posted:

Lots in this FAQ. Charging a unit with a character behind another unit is a good strategy since it can't be targeted for Overwatch.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Character can't be shot at unless they are the closest unit.

Under the targeting characters section it says. "A Character can only be chosen as a target in the shooting phase if they are the closest visible enemy unit to the model that is shooting."

So, you can't normally target a character that's not the closest enemy unit, but, since overwatch is not in the shooting phase, they can be. Nothing in todays FAQ says otherwise.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Black_Nexus posted:

Figured I should actually paint Typhus up now since he buffs the gently caress out of poxwalkers

Looks even better fullscreened, which is more than can be said of most paintjobs.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
If I name my space marine chapter "Ork" does this mean my <Chapter> keyword becomes Ork so I can field Orks with my marines? :D

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

GreenMarine posted:

If I name my space marine chapter "Ork" does this mean my <Chapter> keyword becomes Ork so I can field Orks with my marines? :D

no.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

I wouldn't actually do such a thing.

Is that from a FAQ? I haven't read any FAQs yet.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yep, they posted 'Developers commentary' today

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/17/new-edition-now-available-read-the-rules-get-the-t-shirtgw-homepage-post-1/

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've heard some edge case stories of assholes that make it seem like a good idea to clarify that rule, as laughable as it may be.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

That seems like an entirely sane FAQ.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

GreenMarine posted:

That seems like an entirely sane FAQ.

exactly. It's 3 pages of 'no you loving pedant, of course you can't'

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Yeast posted:

It's a beautiful Day 1 faq basically telling the WAACers "no, don't even try it." :v:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Any advice/concerns about just taking some Vanguard detachments and just spamming Chaos Havoc squads?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Any advice/concerns about just taking some Vanguard detachments and just spamming Chaos Havoc squads?
Good luck?

You want the Spearhead detachment :v:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Good luck?

You want the Spearhead detachment :v:

That is a very valid concern. Well, too late to edit it now.

What if I were to try the same thing, but with the Spearhead detachment? I would just try it and see, but only I play about once every two months.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

mango sentinel posted:

I've heard some edge case stories of assholes that make it seem like a good idea to clarify that rule, as laughable as it may be.

It was jackasses claiming they could just call their tag "wu tang clan" and take everything affecting everything so it's nice to see the official word being "go gently caress yourself".

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
loving Forge world. Looking at the chaos index the knight magaera and knight stiryx are both the exact same thing differing only in their primary weapon and their tiny secondary ranged weapon. I'd argue that the stiryx has guns that are slightly stronger and sure enough they are priced slightly more. Perfect. EXCEPT the base price of the magaera is 440 and the styrix is 340?????? Who loving wrote this poo poo???

Also the knight porphyrion has two different types of Explodes rules proving once again that they can't be loving bothered to give even a cursory glance at what they've written before going to print.

It's ok through because we have a 40% chance of getting an errata in 18 months answering 6 questions no one was asking and completely ignoring all of the blatant misprints forever!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 18, 2017

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Black_Nexus posted:

Hot drat. I was keen for big marines, but now I'm thinking papa Nurgle is the most benevolent.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yeast posted:

Clarifies some important situations too, like never supercharge plasma on a guy with a 2+ to hit if you have a negative to hit modifier.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Master Twig posted:

Under the targeting characters section it says. "A Character can only be chosen as a target in the shooting phase if they are the closest visible enemy unit to the model that is shooting."

So, you can't normally target a character that's not the closest enemy unit, but, since overwatch is not in the shooting phase, they can be. Nothing in todays FAQ says otherwise.

That is the dumbest bit of rules lawyering I've seen today, and it's been a long day.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Mugaaz posted:

Some people still wash them just to be safe. I did.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Liquid Communism posted:

That is the dumbest bit of rules lawyering I've seen today, and it's been a long day.

idk, I tend to think it's a more sensible outcome than the alternative personally

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

A very quick 8th edition unboxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQwPD9XXf2Q

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Solemn Sloth posted:

idk, I tend to think it's a more sensible outcome than the alternative personally

Yeah I think Twig is right on this one

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

RagnarokAngel posted:

Question, I'm slowly breaking into thousand sons (Have 3 squads of rubrics, scarab terminators, ahriman and magnus) and looking at where to go from here. If I decided I wanted a helbrute, do you think I could get away with using a space marine dreadnought? I'm not wild about the helbrute because I feel like the whole skin fused to machine thing doesn't jive with Thousand Sons. But a space marine dreadnought in thousand sons, minus some of the imperium iconography like purity seals basically looks like a sarcophagus on a robot and I think could work. Would this be allowed or would most give me poo poo over it?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Thousand-Sons-Contemptor-Dreadnought

For roughly the same cost (and sometimes less) as a GW dreadnought you can get this infinitely better model. Just remember that this hobby isn't just about desperately spending as little money as possible just to get something on the table. Indulge in the finest of mans.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

It's list time

1000 points of biglys (using the points in the index)

List 1

Captain in Gravis armour with mastercrafted powersword and boltstorm gauntlet - 147
2 squads of Inceptor - 225 each
2 squads of Biglys - 100 each
1 squad of Plasma Biglys - 185

985 points

OR

Lieutenant with power sword - 74
1 squad of Inceptors - 225
3 Squads of Biglys - 300
2 squads of Plasma Biglys - 370

969 points

I think the Captain is pricey for a model that isn't great at shooting and only good at assault, and is also slower than everything else.

When the bigly codex comes out next month I imagine you'll be able to tool up Sergeants, so it'll be power swords all round then. I am biased towards the 2nd list because I feel in low point games boys before toys is the way to go.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That second list is a lot better. As you said, boys before toys is the go-to for low points games, and it goes doubly for Biglys, because your boys are even more scarce.

I can see a lot of people just not taking a captain in favour of more Lieutenants. Captains are just too expensive for something that's just not that good. Lieutenants are cheap and give a decent buff (especially for babysitting plasma biglys so they don't blow themselves up). A lot to love at only 74pts base.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That second list is a lot better. As you said, boys before toys is the go-to for low points games, and it goes doubly for Biglys, because your boys are even more scarce.

I can see a lot of people just not taking a captain in favour of more Lieutenants. Captains are just too expensive for something that's just not that good. Lieutenants are cheap and give a decent buff (especially for babysitting plasma biglys so they don't blow themselves up). A lot to love at only 74pts base.

Lieutenant bonus is reroll 1s to wound, not to hit. So plasmas can still blow themselves up. I've started assembling my models. The metal Iron Warrior heads look good with the bigly bodies.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah I think Twig is right on this one

Agreed

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

my kinda ape posted:

EXCEPT the base price of the magaera is 440 and the styrix is 340?????? Who loving wrote this poo poo???

Doesn't the Magaera regenerate wounds or maybe include its unique weapon in the base cost? That seems like a particularly egregious oversight.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Liquid Communism posted:

It's actually good rules lawyering.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
So I finally took the plunge and purchased my first big ol' box of plastic cocaine. I am now officially in this thing.

I got the Dark Imperium box set despite having zero interest in either Chaos or Marines on the grounds that I was going to be spending half the cost of the thing on the rulebook anyway and it was a good number of models for the price - and I need the painting practice before I get into armies that I'm really interested in. I'm really interested in Ad Mech - I think their models have this amazing retro-sci fi aesthetic that I can't wait to put together.

I might do the marines from the box in complimentary Ad Mech colours to fit with that. Does anyone have any examples of rad looking techmarines?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wanted to get an index but they were all sold, can someone tell me what noise marines and other Slaanesh looks like. I think I am going to take the death guard from the main box (trading primaris to a friend) but I don't understand if they're allowed to roll with emperor's children or what.

Death Guard look good as gently caress by the way. All of these models look great.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Mostly finished up the first of my Primaris Marines. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. I imagine by the time i paint the last one they'll be perfect.

I need to go back over the cape with black and highlight with dark reaper instead of gray, and I still gotta do his backpack and base.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Master Twig posted:

Works for me.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Someone asked this the other day during the twitch stream, but they wanted to know if they could name their <Craftworld> Ultramarines and thereby benefit from taking Guilliman.

Chat then proceeded to ask him if he has any actual friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I really am glad rather than try and play their stupid game and counter with more rules lawyering they just said "gently caress off you know what we meant".