Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Kingfish posted:

It's actually good rules lawyering.

Not even lawyering at all, really. Just reading the rules.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Mostly finished up the first of my Primaris Marines. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. I imagine by the time i paint the last one they'll be perfect.

I need to go back over the cape with black and highlight with dark reaper instead of gray, and I still gotta do his backpack and base.

This looks really good! I've never had the balls to do a quartered legion, especially one with yellow and red as the colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

I wanted to get an index but they were all sold, can someone tell me what noise marines and other Slaanesh looks like. I think I am going to take the death guard from the main box (trading primaris to a friend) but I don't understand if they're allowed to roll with emperor's children or what.

Death Guard look good as gently caress by the way. All of these models look great.

Noise Marines are really good now. They have two attacks base now, and their power is that when they are killed they get to shoot their gun, even if locked in combat.

Sonic Blaster is assault 3 now, and blastmaster and doom siren are still good.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm seeing tau players complain that dark eldar are overpowered I feel like I've awoken in some sort of topsy turvy world.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm seeing tau players complain that dark eldar are overpowered I feel like I've awoken in some sort of topsy turvy world.

Dark Eldar are in a really good place right now. They're still paper thin, but they really can do their famous alpha strike. Darklight weapons do amazing damage to vehicles.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Der Waffle Mous posted:

A guy at my store was complaining how powerful Orks and Tyranids are now. What an amazing world we live in now.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
So are primaris marines capable of going renegade or are they TOTALLY PURE FOREVER

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord_Hambrose posted:

A guy at my store was complaining how powerful Orks and Tyranids are now. What an amazing world we live in now.

mbisonyes.gif

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Was that the guy who used to play a double Smashfucker list?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Orks are super fun to play against and you actually have ways of dealing with them, unlike the invisible Wraithknight shenanigans of yesteryear. From my game last night they do seem pretty solid though which really rules.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I have a friend who has been playing orks forever because he likes giant armies and crazy weapons and rules. He even got to running home-brewed Gorkamorka campaigns at the local shop. This edition seems like a real gift for him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

goose willis posted:

So are primaris marines capable of going renegade or are they TOTALLY PURE FOREVER

Official word is 'wait and see' in the new book Cael is experimenting with making Primaris from the gene seed from the traitor legions that was stored on Terra.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Official word is 'wait and see' in the new book Cael is experimenting with making Primaris from the gene seed from the traitor legions that was stored on Terra.

Well, it's implied, anyway. He tells Guilliman he wants to use traitor legion geneseed, Guilliman tells him no, and it's implied Cawl basically thinks "Yeah well I'm gunna do it anyway"

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

goose willis posted:

I cant wait for the night lords geneseed primaris chapter to go rogue.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Well, it's implied, anyway. He tells Guilliman he wants to use traitor legion geneseed, Guilliman tells him no, and it's implied Cawl basically thinks "Yeah well I'm gunna do it anyway"

He's already done it, he was asking for permission for full production runs.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Liquid Communism posted:

That is the dumbest bit of rules lawyering I've seen today, and it's been a long day.
Dumber than trying to deny someone Overwatch by launching a charge from out of LOS? Presumably they'll see you at some point during your charge, and when they do, they'll shoot you.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Goonhams,

Got back into the hobby recently. Planning to do an updated version of my old Rogue Trader / 2nd Edition Guard army. Wish I still had some of my old stuff. Think we might see new Guard plastics soonish? For now, I have started with Scions and will be adding some Abhumans, support stuff, and vehicles. My goal is to eventually do an old school style Army similar to Rogue Trader era. I had a Necromunda Guard army with lots of converted Beastmen guard but sold it years ago. Color scheme will be the classic grey uniforms with black armor and brown details. The cover of the original plastic Guard box plus the mixed regiment image from White Dwarf are my main inspirations.

1) any recommendations for Abhuman (Beast / Mutant) figures? May do a Conscript mob of pathetic muties led by a Priest. May also do a Beastman squad as Veterans, just wish there was an option for close combat oriented Vets. Could just do Catachan / Cadian plastics with Fantasy Skaven / Beastmen heads. That is what I did way back when, but now there are better heads and other parts.

2) may do a penal legion Conscript mob. I know Victoria has some cool penal troopers but they are kinda expensive.

3) how crazy is the NEW GW about non GW conversions and models? I will mostly play at home or at non-GW FLGSs. Aleady have the Victoria tires for my Tauroxes. Are most GW stores cool (er) with things like alternative Guard models and part swaps?

4) I am not stressed about making my army super strong, more intetested in a fun fluffy force. That said, how viable would a Scion force with a few Abhuman squads be in smaller games in 8th? Any good tactics seen so far?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

goose willis posted:

My Warriors of Iron (original chapter, do not steal) will always remain loyal!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ilor posted:

Dumber than trying to deny someone Overwatch by launching a charge from out of LOS? Presumably they'll see you at some point during your charge, and when they do, they'll shoot you.

I'd expect that this mechanism is an abstraction to allow 'surprise attacks' that demonstrate units being caught off-guard from an unexpected angle.

For example, the Dimachaeron has a special rule allowing it to ignore vertical distances during movement, letting it leap over obstacles. The same scenario could apply to any charging jump pack or jetbike units.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Played my first game of 8th yesterday. Crimson Fists vs. Orks, 2k.

I took the list I posted upthread:

Pedro
Librarian
Tempestor Prime
2x rifle dreads
Termies with assault cannon
Eversor
2x 10 tacs, combi-melta, flamer, lascannon, twin asscan Razorback
2x scions, 2 plas
2x MM/HF land speeders
Hellblasters

He had:

Mega armour warboss
KFF mek on bike
5 burnas
12 lootas in trukk
12 tankbustas in trukk
2x 30 shootas
12 sluggas
17 stormboyz
3x kannons

We set up in corners, playing The Scouring. Predictably the objective in midfield was the Superior one and the one in my DZ was the Inferior. I kept the assassin and the tempestus stuff in reserves, and combat squadded the lascannons out of the tac squads. He shoved the warboss, burnas and the 12 sluggas into the battlewagon, which meant he got first turn by miles. Final set up like below:

The Crimson Fists set up defensively against the Ork horde.

His turn 1 was very aggressive - the Stormboyz jumped straight at the Terminators, the wagon charged upfield, and the shoota mobs piled forwards. Shooting killed one rifle Dread (who exploded, doing 3 mortal wounds to the other dread, 1 to a Hellblaster and 2 to a Razorback!), a Hellblaster and a Terminator before the Stormboyz charged. Heroic Intervention brought the Librarian in too. The Orks killed a couple of Terminators, I struck back and killed a few boyz, everyone passed Morale.

Hellblasters being proxied by meltas.

I threw the Speeders forwards and dropped the assassin by the Stormboyz combat. The plasma tempestus came down on the flank of the battlewagon. The Librarian gave himself Veil of Time and the Terminators Might of the Ancients before a furious shooting phase blew up the battlewagon, the tankbusta trukk, 5 of the tankbustas, and a couple of Stormboyz with the Eversor pistol. The assassin charged as did the Hellblasters, wiping out the Stormboyz for no losses in return. The Eversor consolidated away from everyone else to hide by the stone tablet in midfield, and the Hellblasters moved up to block the Librarian. I also charged the tankbustas with the Land Speeder to tie them up (i.e. force them to fall back next turn and not shoot anything).

At the end of the first battle round I was facing down this lot:

After some shooting which didn't do much except wipe out some scions, the Orks quickly moved to charge:

The Warboss went for the Eversor, the Burnas piled into the Terminators, the small mob of Boyz went for the Hellblasters and Librarian, and the big mob went in the nearest Land Speeder and the other side of the Hellblasters. I got very lucky in this phase - the Eversor survived on two wounds and the Librarian with one, only a couple of Hellblasters died and no Terminators. Striking back I killed off all but the Nob in the Slugga boyz, one Burna, and the Eversor took a wound off the boss.

Fall back came in handy for turn 2. The Eversor fell back as did the Hellblasters and the Speeder stuck in with the sluggas. The Librarian cast Smite and killed the Nob left in combat with him, then shot a Burna with his pistol, before combined weight of fire annihilated the Orks left in my front lines:

We played out his 3, then since we'd been playing a while we had to cut short (such is life for olds). My shooting was on course to kill off the kannons, the loota truck and the shootas near my DZ, leaving him with one shoota mob stranded in a corner and the lootas. I had definite control of 3 objectives including the superior, and he had no real way to contest anything else. A win for the Crimson Fists against the old foe!

So how's 8th? The actual playing of the game was fast and simple. It took us some time because neither of us had played for a long while (nearly 4 years in my case), plus looking stuff up trying to remember what any of the abilities did any more. Also I cut a finger right as we started, giving sacrifice to Khorne because it would not stop bleeding. We probably went 3 1/2 hours, but that included faffing about trying to remember where in the rulebook anything was, how deployment worked etc. I can easily see playing out 2k in 2 1/2 hours, especially since the latter turns didn't have hundreds of Orks to move.

Pedro did sterling work standing around providing re-rolls, but I'm concerned that against an army with snipers he would have been dead early doors, plus keeping stuff within 6" of him limited my manoeuvrability quite a lot. Against someone who forced me to come to them I think I might have struggled. Alternatively, someone who worked harder to overwhelm me in combat might have been able to give me some harder choices - although the stuff that charged me hit hard, it ran straight into the things which were intended to soak it, and then I was able to use falling back and rapid-fire etc. to take mobs off the board one at a time. The big units of Shootas aren't effective enough at shooting things to be especially worrying at range, and they're slow and out of step with the rest of the army so they end up being a lot of points and bodies which are too far away to have much effect (although maybe with a Weirdboy slinging them forwards they would have done more).

Overall a good intro to the new edition, and I'm keen to play again which I couldn't say about 6th at all - so much chaff has been mercifully trimmed down.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 18, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

moths posted:

Doesn't the Magaera regenerate wounds or maybe include its unique weapon in the base cost? That seems like a particularly egregious oversight.

They both regenerate wounds. They have the same statline, abilities, and melee weapons. Their only difference is their primary ranged weapon and their small secondary ranged weapon that are priced appropriately IMO. It's like they did everything right and then added an arbitrary gently caress you tax to the magaera.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Goonhams,

Got back into the hobby recently. Planning to do an updated version of my old Rogue Trader / 2nd Edition Guard army. Wish I still had some of my old stuff. Think we might see new Guard plastics soonish? For now, I have started with Scions and will be adding some Abhumans, support stuff, and vehicles. My goal is to eventually do an old school style Army similar to Rogue Trader era. I had a Necromunda Guard army with lots of converted Beastmen guard but sold it years ago. Color scheme will be the classic grey uniforms with black armor and brown details. The cover of the original plastic Guard box plus the mixed regiment image from White Dwarf are my main inspirations.

1) any recommendations for Abhuman (Beast / Mutant) figures? May do a Conscript mob of pathetic muties led by a Priest. May also do a Beastman squad as Veterans, just wish there was an option for close combat oriented Vets. Could just do Catachan / Cadian plastics with Fantasy Skaven / Beastmen heads. That is what I did way back when, but now there are better heads and other parts.

2) may do a penal legion Conscript mob. I know Victoria has some cool penal troopers but they are kinda expensive.

3) how crazy is the NEW GW about non GW conversions and models? I will mostly play at home or at non-GW FLGSs. Aleady have the Victoria tires for my Tauroxes. Are most GW stores cool (er) with things like alternative Guard models and part swaps?

4) I am not stressed about making my army super strong, more intetested in a fun fluffy force. That said, how viable would a Scion force with a few Abhuman squads be in smaller games in 8th? Any good tactics seen so far?

The new Tzaangors box has a spruce full of chainswords/auto-pistols, though jamming Beastman bits on Guardsmen or vise versa will probably be the best way to go about things.

As for conversions it's the same as it ever was. As long as the majority of the model is Citadel it's fine. A headswap/weaponswap/whatever with a 3rd party bit like the tires is fine, but completely 3rd party stuff will get you an earful.

As for viability who the hell knows. The meta hasn't been established, but unless you go out of your way to make a shitlist (All Grots/Kroot/whatever) you can't really go wrong.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

They both regenerate wounds. They have the same statline, abilities, and melee weapons. Their only difference is their primary ranged weapon and their small secondary ranged weapon that are priced appropriately IMO. It's like they did everything right and then added an arbitrary gently caress you tax to the magaera.

I'll just share the datasheets since it's relevant to the discussion. If that's too :filez: just tell me and I'll delete it mods!

The power level is higher on the magaera too so it's not like someone fat fingered a single digit.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 18, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

xtothez posted:

I'd expect that this mechanism is an abstraction to allow 'surprise attacks' that demonstrate units being caught off-guard from an unexpected angle.

For example, the Dimachaeron has a special rule allowing it to ignore vertical distances during movement, letting it leap over obstacles. The same scenario could apply to any charging jump pack or jetbike units.

Or Necron Wraiths coming through the walls to attack their prey

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hello there, Dark Mechanicus key word. How interesting to see you.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

my kinda ape posted:

The power level is higher on the magaera too so it's not like someone fat fingered a single digit.

Huh. Yeah that's hopefully going to get clarified, especially since the "does not include wargear" means you're paying an extra 100 points for the exact same hull.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pendent posted:

Hello there, Dark Mechanicus key word. How interesting to see you.

All the chaos knights have that tag, as well as Hellwrights which are basically chaos tech priests. They can repair most/all chaos vehicles.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Played another 2v1 game last night, 100 vs. 50 + 50 Power Levels, my Cult and a friend's Orks (Nob Bikers + Big Mek, Dok, and BikerBoss) against Deathwatch with a Rhino, Land Raider, and their flyer.

Jesus Quad-Damage Christ, Deathwatch overwatch is ridiculous. I also rolled like garbage for 2 of the 3 Cult Ambush results, and the Land Raider was all I could have targeted with a unit packing Rock Saws. They were blown right the gently caress out with giant flamers and super-rocket-flamer things.

Another squad of 5 with Mining Drills made a ludicrous charge from behind a building into a Rhino, while the last 5-man team got blown the gently caress out against the Land Raider again. Clearly, my target priorities were borked and I might have been woozy from food poisoning :v:

My squad of 15 Genestealers and the Patriarch had awful Advance rolls and got shot to piss, only making it into combat with 5 'Stealers left rather than the Turn 1 charge they've made before. Patty wrecked a Dreadnought, nearly offed a Rhino, and consolidated with 3 gribblies into a command squad or whatever, and finished it right the gently caress off sans problems before the DW Corvus whatever blasted his rear end into nonexistence.

Biker Nobz with all the Biker HQs packed power klaws and carried the day, weathering ludicrous fire and ripping up the Land Raider in 2 rounds of combat (!!!).

End of the game, at least 1 Biker Nob was left with all the HQ bikers to cap one of the objectives worth 3 VP, placed in her girlfriend's deployment zone so we could nail Linebreaker, and 5 Boyz capped the single other objective. I got tabled 3/4 of the way into the game, but nothing could really stop the complete fuckstomping Da Boyz brought 'round.

The wife played her Nurgle 50PL list against our buddy's Custodian army, after they set up a Dawn of War map with a fuckhuge line of buildings dividing the sides; she chose the alternate deployment parallel to the scenery lines, making for a stupid and hilarious game. Still nothing but praise for 8th.

ADDENDUM:
I, uh, I tried to heated-salt-bend 2 miscast Carnifex torsos into place. This...did not go well. After viewing the pictures of the 1 I had bought from a local store, the GW rep asked whether it were a single model or from a Carnifex Brood box. "Tempted as I am to say it was a Brood, it was just a one-banger from a great store nearby." The rep sent a replacement for the one Carnifex--and a Brood box for laughs, as thanks for my honesty. Ladies and gents, I might be done buying 3rd party :psyduck:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I can't wait for the next story where Cawl meets Fabulous Bile and Cawl just dunks on his "enhanced marines".

EDIT: Or the first tyranid to eat a bigmarine and create a tyrant prime prime.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite parts of the new fluff is how Cawl just doesn't give a gently caress about people's stance on technology and progress.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'd been planning on painting up all my old Tac Marines as Sternguard with their fancy bolters until I actually started looking at the stats compared to Intercessors.

190 points gets you a full squad of Sternguard with no upgrades. The stats are basically the same as an equivalent number of Intercessors except for one better AP and half as many wounds.

200 points gets you 10 Intercessors, taking up two troop slots.

To put it another way, with Intercessors a single PPM gets you double the durability and the use of a more useful force org slot for the loss of 17% damage output. Pretty tough to justify those Sternguard.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

One of my favorite parts of the new fluff is how Cawl just doesn't give a gently caress about people's stance on technology and progress.

So of course he is going to turn evil/to Chaos.

I mean I hope he doesn't and he actually just pisses people off by doing crazy tech stuff for us all to enjoy, but who knows?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pendent posted:

I'd been planning on painting up all my old Tac Marines as Sternguard with their fancy bolters until I actually started looking at the stats compared to Intercessors.

190 points gets you a full squad of Sternguard with no upgrades. The stats are basically the same as an equivalent number of Intercessors except for one better AP and half as many wounds.

To put it another way, with Intercessors a single PPM gets you double the durability and the use of a more useful force org slot for the loss of 17% damage output. Pretty tough to justify those Sternguard.

Sternguard can come in drop pods or transports. Primaris can't.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
It looks like they confirmed that all re-rolls occur BEFORE modifiers are applied to the results.

So, if I'm shooting weapons at a squad that has a -1 to hit modifier, and I'd normally hit on a 3+ (but now need a 4+) the 3's are NOT considered "misses" until AFTER the modifiers ...and therefore can't be re-rolled as part of a "re-roll FAILED rolls to hit" buff.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Speaking of rules: If a Pulse Carbine has a max range of 18, but gets 6 extra inches from a pulse accelerator, do they get an extra shot from a fireblade on 9 or 12 inches range?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Have any of the forge world index stuff been seen in the wild yet?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Sternguard can come in drop pods or transports. Primaris can't.

Only because we don't have bigly pods and bigly transports yet.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Pendent posted:

Sternguard can take a crapload of options or combi weapons or power weapons. Bigly's can't yet.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kithkar posted:

Have any of the forge world index stuff been seen in the wild yet?

The digital versions are out and about. I doubt anyone has a physical copy yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

evilmiera posted:

So of course he is going to turn evil/to Chaos.

I mean I hope he doesn't and he actually just pisses people off by doing crazy tech stuff for us all to enjoy, but who knows?

I have an admech army and started picking up chaos marines. I hope to be able to run them together some day.