Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Question, I'm slowly breaking into thousand sons (Have 3 squads of rubrics, scarab terminators, ahriman and magnus) and looking at where to go from here. If I decided I wanted a helbrute, do you think I could get away with using a space marine dreadnought? I'm not wild about the helbrute because I feel like the whole skin fused to machine thing doesn't jive with Thousand Sons. But a space marine dreadnought in thousand sons, minus some of the imperium iconography like purity seals basically looks like a sarcophagus on a robot and I think could work. Would this be allowed or would most give me poo poo over it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mortanis posted:

I've got about 3000 points worth of Blood Angels and a few 8th Ed games under my belt now, and I'm looking to start another army for the first time ever. I'm looking at Necrons. Does anyone have any links outlining what sucks/doesn't suck in 8th Ed for Necrons - units, strategies, strengths and weaknesses?

I always liked 1d4chan's tactics pages when looking at a new list.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Necrons(8E)

Given 8th is new it's pretty short but seems like a good shorthand of "What does X do?"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I really am glad rather than try and play their stupid game and counter with more rules lawyering they just said "gently caress off you know what we meant".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Seriously it's a net benefit all around. Without access points you can just put your guys 3" in front of the transport, then move 6" (or whatever) THEN charge. That's a pretty impressive distance.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Corrode posted:

I'm glad that 8th makes Proper Chaos an easy thing to have again.

Honestly in general the keyword system is so much easier. Particularly toward the end, 7th got big on the imperium allied detachments and that was a messy and cumbersome way to manage like a dozen factions. Then you ended up with stuff like the 1st and 3rd triumverate which let you put them in any imperial army detachment further mucking it up.
Now the keywords really delineate it and let you just throw in what you want.

As an eldar player i feel similarly about harlequins because they were always more of a pain to ally that they should have been (no HQs so no allied detachment for them)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

muggins posted:

Does this mean gsc can be put in a Tyranid detachment?

Yep.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Could I get the rules for the wraithseer?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black_Nexus posted:

Test model for my poxwalkers, he is so happy to see you :D

I wanna give him a hug so bad.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Space marines want imperium index 1, tyranids want xenos index 2. That's really all you need to get started.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

muggins posted:

Does anyone understand this? I've seen this criticism in a few places now

Page back but when people say rules feel "gamey" Its trying to label their dislike of simplified rules. And I kinda get that, but its from a sort of...cognitive distortion?
I'm a new ham player, started in 7th, like 6 months ago. As a brand new player the rules were daunting and had a sense of wonder and complexity to them.

Then you swap to 8th, with a very simplified ruleset, and everything just kinda clicks mechanically. Everything works together like cogs in a machine and your brain thinks "this lacks the wonder and depth of the rules before". That sort of magic of the daunting and incomprehensible ruleset is gone and the curtain has been pulled back.

But that isn't really the way to look at it because ultimately simple rules make for a better game in the long run. The mystery and wonder will wear off, good game balance stays.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 27, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Rule of thumb for a typical battleforged army is 1 hq and 2 of any 2 roles that are the same (so 2 fast attacks, 2 heavy support, etc.) Because thats how most of the detachments are structured.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Im wondering if guilloman rewriting the dumb parts of the codex will come up. He has to be able to see where its not working.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Once again looking at FW rules and I am not entirely sure why you'd bother getting a bunch of these units.

Forgeworld always kinda sucked at rules (Either units underpowered or undercosted) and it's pretty obvious the 8th ed rules were made in a vacuum with barely any contact with the main team.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

One thing that I omitted from my pseudo-batrep: I can't tell if this is some echo chamber effect or not, but it really did seem like people were more excited for 8th and 40k in general than I've seen in 6th or 7th. There were two other games going on at the same time at the store, one of which was someone who hadn't played 40k in a while and seemed really jazzed about trying out the new version. Before, you might have seen one game of 40k and the rest would be Malifaux or Dark Age (or, in prior years, Warmahordes), but yesterday everyone was playing, watching, or talking about 40k.

8th edition was the first of New Games Workshop TM. I sound sarcastic but im not, unlike previous editions they actually engaged customers and discussed rule changes leading up to it, rather than handling it behind closed doors then dumping it on our laps.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm more irritated that GW is trying to down play this than just come out and say the new range is replacing the old range deal with it and enjoy better models. . It's already the most popular range with so many sub-ranges. Yes, they needed an update and yes the models are great. This whole parallel development is so dishonest.
I dunno man it really did feel damned if you do, damned if you don't. Before we knew they would be a new unit and not just a model update there was a lot of chicken little-ing about how GW might declare old marines verboten and even if they didn't, other players might say mean things about their old marines.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Giving GW money is cool and good now homie.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Magnus owns, death to the corpse emperor.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I also assume the generic units that are faction compatible will be in their respective codex.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

If space corgis get rules before sisters i won't be surprised.

Considering how the imperium index is laid out sisters seem to perpetually remain trapped in the imperial agents codex.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The rules for forests also changed to reflect the "get cover if 50% obscured by it" instead of needing to physically be inside it. I think they realized the books explanation was insane.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Enentol posted:

:siren:Paging SRM.:siren:

Its so beautiful.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Can Smite hit characters even if theyre not the closest model? I understood the restriction to be limited to the shooting phase but i wanted to verify. I play psyker as gently caress armies so its a game changer.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pendent posted:

Isn't smite itself limited to the closest enemy unit?

Master Twig posted:

Smite can ONLY hit the closest unit. You don't get a choice of what smite hits.

Shows me how to read :downs: thank you.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I always used this one for my Eldar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-M-aN1cFdo

But generally any sort of melancholy instrumental theme fits.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 12, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

You are reading it wrong. The rules just only apply to the approriate models and cant be passed around.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Right now there's no downside to cross pollinating your lists outside of auras generally not applying outside their own chapter/warband/craftworld etc. You lose nothing.

Codexes will probably start doing bonuses for having detachments of all one type though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Space Marines don't lose anything if thy're cross-pollinated into other imperium armies.

Admech specifically lose access to canticles if there is a non-admech unit in their detachment.

I do not play imperium so i stand corrected, my apologies.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I kinda feel a gold with a fair amount of black wash would pop nicely for the chest eagle.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cainer posted:

Index says they only lose canticles if there are any non-Admec in the same detachment, but he's using two detachments. One full of Admec and the other with marines so pretty sure he still gets canticles.

Hes not though. He said hes building a battalion detachment, using both armies to fill all the slots.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Special army rules have always literally been about ignoring the usual rules. Harlequins get to fall back and shoot AND charge, at no penalty, for one thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

goose willis posted:

Yes but at the penalty that they will forever look really loving stupid

Fight me, bitch

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lol it says "Forces of the Astra Militarum" at the bottom of the xenos errata.

The Kingfish posted:

The ultramarine tactics are concerning. They are super good and it's easy to imagine GW loving the whole game up again with dogshit faction rules. They should have released chaos or deldar faction rules first to show they aren't planning on throwing those factions in the trash again this edition.

The space marine codex is first so logically it'll be the worst this edition.

Edit:

goose willis posted:

This is fun, to you?
Yeah
I'm a solitaire haver though

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

So I play eldar; I own mostly craft world and corsair models, with a few dark eldar and harlequins. I think the Ynarri rules are dumb as gently caress. I don't know if they're exactly too good. They're almost certainly better than battle focus, rising crescendo is key for harlequin units but strength from death has a similar effect by allowing you to get more hits in (as someone already stated).

What gets me is just how unfun they would be for my opponents and how deeply they poo poo on the idea of game balance. How deeply irritating it must be to have a (potentially devastating) backlash every time you kill an opposing unit? And who thought that situational bonuses and special rules are the same thing as getting extra goes at shooting/fighting!?

Basically it pissed me off when it came out and I'm amamzed they kept it in what was supposed to be a 'fresh start' edition. I'd never inflict that poo poo on my friends.

Hot take: it's really not that bad.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

TwingeCrag posted:

Peep the cool gravis guys with dual plasma things in the back of the main pic

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/16/codex-space-marines-your-first-lookgw-homepage-post-1/

One of the things i found interesting is this:

quote:

These have been changed a little from what you may be used to, and for the better – we’ve been able to make the Chapter Tactics very powerful and very flexible, but your army will need to be battle-forged to use them. Previous Chapter Tactics generally focused around specific units and weapons like Salamanders with flamers or Imperial Fists with bolter-armed Tactical Squads, but this time around, they’ll be benefitting every unit and every army build; the strength of the Space Marines is diversity, after all.
So it seems ultramarines arent the only ones who will just get a flat bonus to everything.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

GreenMarine posted:

What's up with Necrons? Almost every kit is sold out online.

GW is reboxing everything for 8th so once the stock depletes they put up sold out online then throw it back up a few days later in a new box. Keeps happening to the eldar.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Primaris Murderfart Butttrain

Please dont doxx me and my erotic fan fiction

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Id make a new one if only because it might get easy to lose posts when a new codex hits or something and people post up a storm.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

theironjef posted:

Never have I been sadder to be all in on Eldar/Deldar/Ynnari than when I rolled up Gore Hippos or Psi Bees.

Those could totally be new aspect warrior shrines.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

theironjef posted:

Also Mega Man X villains. But yeah, if warlocks were just an aspect instead of whatever they currently are they'd make great Psi Bees. And drat but if eldar ever get little suits of elf-friendly Terminator armor they should completely be the Gore Hippos aspect, with the aspect champion having like a power bite.

In the books and stuff even within a given aspect, there are multiple shrines per craftworld, each with a different exarch reaching their version of the aspect. Like a dojo, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

You basically just have to house rule that poo poo before the game because yeah ugh its bad.