Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
drat, that was a pretty amazing intro post. Seeing everyone's armies is :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thundercloud posted:

I am at the midnight launch at my store. There are now balloons containing a worrying amount of the contents of my lungs.

Anyone else at store events?

I will be tomorrow at mine. No midnight release, as corporate feels the amount of sales doesn't justify the overtime. :(

Oh man. My friend took some hi-res shots of my AdMech today and good lord I love this model.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 16, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Your AdMech dudes are so good.

Thanks man. I need to expand them some. Get a couple Kastelan Robot units and a Knight, then I think they'll be done.

Unless they release flyers later on.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

admech paint up really well.

All hail the machine!

I love how good they look with that Martian Ironearth basing.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Mostly finished up the first of my Primaris Marines. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. I imagine by the time i paint the last one they'll be perfect.

I need to go back over the cape with black and highlight with dark reaper instead of gray, and I still gotta do his backpack and base.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Someone asked this the other day during the twitch stream, but they wanted to know if they could name their <Craftworld> Ultramarines and thereby benefit from taking Guilliman.

Chat then proceeded to ask him if he has any actual friends.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite parts of the new fluff is how Cawl just doesn't give a gently caress about people's stance on technology and progress.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

How'd you do the shoulder emblem?

I'm thinking of using instant mold to quick cast one of my resin pads and use that as a mold for green stuff emblems on the primaris. I actually cut one of the pads off of an intercessor and replaced it with a sculpted pad but no way I'm doing that for all of them.

Shapeways sells a bunch. Specifically the Pop! Goes the Monkey store.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I made a 30k power fist sargeant, I think he's sweet as hell so I'm putting him here too.

Rad as gently caress. What legion? Also, please post pics once it's painted.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Looks good!

What are you guys planning to use for Primaris shoulder insignia? My FLGS and others are recommending the stuff on shapeways. Anyone done an Imperial / Crimson Fist Primaris with these yet?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HZN8LXRY3/60x-kings-fist-shoulder-insignia-pack?optionId=62861945

I got the Howling Griffons ones.

They fit like a glove and look great. My only complaint is they're attached to the sprue on the face side, but it's easily shaved down.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Tendinitis sucks, but I'm finally bouncing back enough that I can paint - here's some Assault Terminators for my Templars:

Top notch as always. Do you just use Valhallan Blizzard for your snow?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin' my finished LT.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished a Lieutenant. Still need to base them, but i'll do all that later. Sorry for the phone pics!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

Stop posting your beautiful Howling Griffons. I don't need to pick that as the color scheme for my new Primaris force.

Join me in the madness.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

May I suggest Crimson Fists as the obvious best Chapter (Blood Angels in close second place)

You almost convinced me to do Crimson Fists instead of Howling Griffons. But I had McDonald's that day, and here we are.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing my first perils of the warp that involves a psyker exploding and dragging all the dudes around him into space hell.

Yeah, me too. Gonna pick up a couple Primaris Librarians once they come out.

Speaking of Primaris, has anyone heard of any rumored prices for the Repulsor and new Dread?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I wonder if that will be a thing. Psykers are mutants, and I think primaris marines are supposed to decrease mutations.

Of course it'll be a thing. GW likes money, and people (me) don't want some short stack of a librarian hanging out with the new tall cool kids.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Re: Primaris Librarians. They exist, there's one in the Dark Imperium book.

"A primaris librarian accompanies Felix and a group of Primaris during the assault to relieve the siege of Ardium. (p216)"

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm hoping for the entire suite of characters in Primaris. Captain, Librarian, Chaplain, Apothecary.

Apothecary especially cuz my Primaris chapter are BA successors and Primaris Sanguinary Priest would rule.

Really looking forward to the Chaplain one, although I guess the Reiver close combat dudes will all have skull-masks. which would be rad as gently caress, if that turns out to be true.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
drat! Need to find out when my stores bday is

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
All I'm really hoping for now is to have the rest of the Primaris line release before the Konor campaign kicks off, so I have enough time to build poo poo.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Merf posted:

Painting up the Primaris marines from the starter as Celestial Lions with the Vallejo liquid gold paints. Only Issue is where would I get Celestial Lions transfers and lion bits to spruce up the squads.

Shapeways has actual lion shoulder pads, but no insignia or transfers. There are a couple companies that are doing design your own decals, but I can't remember the name of the website.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I got my Nids out for their first 8th edition game.

I tottaly stomped my friends demons. He had no real shooting so he couldn't get to the tervigon which was keeping the termaguant squads full as the chipped away at what ever they were fighting. I also got 2 6 wound smites against his blood thruster. This is the first time my Nids have ever tabled anyone. The only thing I lost was 2 fexs and 3/5ths of a hormaguant squad.

The Malenthropes were being proxied for venomthropes since i couldnt find point values for them.

Such a cool looking army. We'll have to play soon!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

That's the first squad largely done, I'm humming and hawing over whether I'm gonna do squad identifiers and such on them so haven't varnished and fully committed yet but I'm pretty happy with them. Decided to use the nominal sergeant as a normal dude for a bit more visual variety in the squad and while i really wasn't sold on inceptors when they were announced I'm a lot more partial to them without the armour colour on their respirators so they dont look like they have big dumb mouths.

Next order of business is batch painting an intercessor squad which will hopefully take me less time than these greebly motherfuckers.

These look killer. An inspiration to start mine tomorrow night.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Its dumb that they dropped intercessors from 120pts to 100pts but kept them at 6 power. :colbert:

Similarly inceptors got increased from 159 to 180 pts but they're still 8 power.

Is this referring to the difference in points from the Index book to the small books included with Dark Imperium?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

I feel like the "PL isn't for them" argument is a tautology because it seems to entirely exist in us trying to say that. The huge decrease in granularity and uptick in free options means that Power Level benefits power gamers who liberally slather on all the most expensive options, but hamper the player who builds more conservatively. We can say PL isn't for powergamers as much as we want, but that isn't going to stop people from gaming the far easier to game system.

Yeah. If we know anything it's that hams are gonna ham. But a big counter to that is that if someone plays a list like that, where they're purposely tying to place a completely overpowered list in a friendly match, you just don't play against them again.

Even in friendly matches people can be absolute dicks. That was talked about that in the Badcast episode with the terrible 30k Friendly experience. (Sorry guys, I can't remember if that was SRM or The Sex Cannon that played that match).

Also, for PL are you guys not taking the available upgrades? I ran a game of 8th the other day with my Skitarii and gave my vanguard 3 Plasma Calivers. Was I not supposed to?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, like. They could make a tac squad cost 4 points base. Then be like "+1 PL if a squad of 10 takes both a special and heavy weapon, +1 PL if taking a power fist or thunder hammer", poo poo like that.

This is too complicated. If you do it this way then you might as well just do points.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

Thanks to this post, I just ordered 60 Howling Griffons shoulder symbols, and decided to go for painting my Primaris just like Zuul.

I also went crazy for the heavy jump troops, and now own 12 of them.

:golfclap: Congratulations on your choice of the best chapter. Be sure to post progress pics!

My inceptors are next up in the assembly line. What I really like best about the Primaris is how big they are. The emblems and armor really have a chance to shine now and don't feel so scrunty.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I just bought the Deathwatch Chaplain and an extra Primaris Ancient to turn into a Primaris Chaplain. This'll be my first real time kitbashing. Here's hoping it goes well.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I won't use any of the Army Painter sprays at all anymore. I've used both the black primer and white, and both have come out fuzzy. I just don't trust their product.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sykic posted:

I think I'm finally back into the painting groove.

It's unbelievably liberating to just paint whatever model I want, whatever loadout I want, instead of what I need for my lists, I should have done this years ago instead of looking at kits and thinking "well, it looks awesome but it's dogshit on the table, no sale."

Uh, yeah, i'd definitely say you're back in the groove. That thing is gorgeous!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

God drat it I want one (or 3) so bad.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Kitbashing biglys and little marines is gonna look weird. It's only really the helmets, backpacks and shoulders that are cross-compatible.

My Deathwatch Chaplain and extra Primaris Ancient should both be in my hands next week. I think that'll bash nicely

Ayn Marx posted:

Now that I have built all my Dark Imperium biglys and painted a few:
- These are great models and I love them
- They are easy and fun to paint
- They are a dick move from GW towards marine players with normie marine armies. Biglys just make squat marines look like complete poo poo.

I completely agree. The Primaris just look so, so good.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Really looking forward to the new Primaris stuff. Glad I decided to wait to get a Librarian.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

Oh really? I thought it was only the bases that needed glue. I guess more of the parts do too?

Every part of the Marines needs glue. Nothing snap fits.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Progress on my Howling Griffons. I've nearly completed 3 HQ (Captain in Gravis, 2 Lieutenants) and a full squad of Inceptors. There's minor things I have to touch up on each - bullet casings, the backpack on the Captain, metallic trim, stuff like that.

I've also decided on a basing scheme which i wanted to look like it was a dead world, and also be neutral so the models stand out more.

Anyway, here they are.

HQ Group:

Shooty Lt.

Inceptors:

Everything so far:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hamshot posted:

I love that you did the quarters on the little gun shields.

Yeah, I debated on how to do them for a while, going first from just straight black to halved red/yellow, but i'm glad I quartered them.

dexefiend posted:

:vince:

I will be there soon buddy! I dropped a hundred bucks on Shapeways shoulder pads, and i have 3 squads cleaned and moduled for painting!

You are a complete rear end in a top hat for painting these while i was deciding on my chapter!

I regret nothing. The more Howling Griffons the better. Looking forward to seeing yours!

I'm actually leaving the icons off until after this years armies on parade. I asked my local manager about having those icons on, and he said probably best to just leave them off until after the event so i can participate.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Man these look awesome. May I ask how you painted the swords?

Absolutely - Leadbelcher base, nuln oil wash, runefang steel highlight then a glaze of P3 Turquoise Ink.

JoshTheStampede posted:

AoP would disqualify you for Shapeways shoulderpads? What happened to the old rule about having an acceptable % of 3rd party bits?

He didn't specifically say this. He wasn't entirely sure, but he said to be safe just keep them off because he wouldn't want me to do all that work and not be able to showcase it. For comparison, the recent Inner Circle event was no non-GW bits at all.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

The point is, saying intercessors have 2 wounds isn't as meaningful as it sounds. It's not a straight doubling of durability over tac marines because most things stronger than bolter fire are going to do more than 1 damage. Intercessors are as good at taking bolter fire as 10 tactical marines, and much less durable against things bigger than bolters. Intercessors are the one place something like a battle cannon will actually excel at as an example.

Having 2 wounds is definitely better than 1, regardless of what's firing at you, because whatever is shooting at you needs to do double the amount of damage it normally would to wipe a squad.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

No poo poo it's better than 1, when did I say it isn't?

I said having 2 isn't doubled durability, because there's enough guns that do more than 1 damage a hit that intercessors are no tougher against than tactical marines.

Right here.

They are doubled durability, because 5 tactical marines have 5 wounds, and 5 intercessors have 10.

Your argument is dumb, because you're saying they aren't double durability, and they are. What you mean is that they cannot withstand volleys from weapons that do multi-wound and have good AP, which yeah, no poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

"Isn't as meaningful as it sounds" is not the same as "Is not better than"

Thanks, try again.

Let me try to phrase it a way that you can grasp it:

If I have 5 gaunts with 1 wound each, and 5 gaunts with 2 wounds each, which group of gaunts will give you night sweats?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My concern was less about durability and more about firepower, say compared to a regular tactical squad.

I'm actually worried about this too. I'm playing my first game with the Primaris this Thursday, and I'll see how they shake out. I'm betting the Repulsor will make up for any shortage of firepower you get from having less guns in the squad and less heavy weapon options.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 26, 2017