Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Yeah I'll be honest I don't really want to paint any more infantry - I have 70+ painted already and a bunch more aberrants to paint, plus acolytes / metamorphs with hand flamers. Not really into heavy weapon teams at this time lol. Maybe I'll do a unit of mortars, ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

xtothez posted:

I wonder if Brood Brother Wyverns or Hellhounds would be a decent investment for anti-chaff duty. Plus, an IG detachment would have access to tank commander punisher cannons!

I do actually have two punisher leman russes and a vulture, hmm

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

GSC bros question: I am thinking about having three different Jackal units in my 2000 pt list with an Alphus leading them around. She points at a vehicle or hard target, and they shoot. I am thinking about giving them mining lasers instead of heavy flamers. This would mesh with using Rusted Claw as I'm intending to do, so they can move and still hit on a 3+ vs the target I spotted.

Do you think its worth it? Otherwise with heavy flamers they're basically just suicide bombers. I do plan on giving the other guys demolition charges for last minute charges, but I kinda like the mining laser idea. I'd also have ridgerunners shooting heavy mining lasers. Mortar teams in support for chaff clearing.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

spacegoat posted:

Take a unit of 5 and give them demo charges. Paint your target with the Alphus, spend 2CP for the strat to show up just outside 3", another CP to lob all the bombs, then one more CP for the +1 to hit/wound that also lets you drive away laughing.

For 78pts it's hard to go wrong, though you might have a better use of your 4CP.

Yeah, this one has been shared quite a bit - the only downside is you can't move after you come in 3" away, so no driving away. The Jackal alphus would also have to be 6" away to give the +1 to hit, so you've essentially used 150 points, a few cp, for a suicide attack

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah that’s basically it, they’re absolutely worth it for the chance at +1T or +1A on a large block. Their awesome-looking goad would be decent if it had at least a touch of AP but alas.

I'd be more inclined to use the biophagus if he had the current benefit plus the iconward benefit (reroll 1s). The iconward thematically and rules-wise wants to be with acolytes strikin deep hammerin people's nuts (with the reroll charges thing). Making the iconward also want to be with abbies seems dumb. You already want an abominant near them, Primus, and maybe a biophagus

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Thanqol posted:

The number 88 appended to things is usually code for 'is a nazi'.

I feel like it's probably the year dude was born? But I've never seen his channel before

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

The Gate posted:

I mean, an 88 in your name is an automatic ban or forced name change for a lot of online gaming, and for good reason. It's a 95% chance that the person is a Nazi. Like, sure, there's probably a handful of people who were born in '88 and still put their birthday year in their online handle in TYOOL 2019, but it's not that many. It's absolutely super common online.

Do you have any game company posts about something like that? I am not defending nazis, i hate 'em, but I just don't really see anything like that, ever.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

I like the concept, but I'm really not a fan of doing things out-of-turn or out-of-phase, because it leads to all kinds of wacky interactions the rules weren't made to handle. It also potentially adds a lot of time to a player's turn that's out of their control. This second issue wasn't on my radar until I was given a per-turn chess clock at NoVA last year, and then lost 10 minutes to overwatch shooting from a massive unit of guard.

In WM you just flip the timer over to the person using the time - you weren't allowed to do that here?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

No; it was only flipped at the end of each turn

That's odd. I would definitely flip it over to the other player when they're rolling overwatch, and maybe for armor saves etc.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Units that fall back - Roll a D6 for each model in the unit. On a roll of a 1, that unit suffers a mortal wound. Makes falling back deadly without having to do an entire assault action out-of-phase and is similar to the rules for destroyed vehicles. Would also consider capping this at the number of models they're tied up with, but that seems clunky. So yeah let that single grot take out 3 marines attempting to flee. Serves those assholes right.

This is a good idea for a start, it feels like it would still be a no-brainer for something like a tank or big monster.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

That's actually both intentional and fine, so I don't see what the problem is

Just seems like, you might do a bunch of damage to infantry, but only one to a tank or monster. Not really any risk - while rolling attacks would take a lot longer, it would be proportionally better for the person who took all the risk to charge in etc. Perhaps 'roll a die for each model being disengaged from' would be better, imo.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Oh never mind then I’m a big dummy.

I thought it was only pistols.

Carry on.

Only pistols can shoot in CC, or maybe some special rule

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Strobe posted:

or avoid getting into actual combat with most of the unit so they can surround a few models and be immune from shooting then kill a unit and be free of combat on the opponent's turn.

It seems like it would be difficult to not be in combat with a lot of dudes but also be close enough to lock one dude in close combat with a 3-inch pile in at the end of the turn after they've removed any casualties.

I know I've read multiple articles on doing the triangle lock method but it seems harder in practice especially if you're using 32 mm bases that aren't easy to get around stuff.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What is tri-locking?

Surrounding one model on three sides so the unit can't retreat (unless they fly)

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

It's also just one of the dumbest anti common sense things that has survived in a GW game. You don't want to be successful in close combat because you don't want to die from shooting. Not grimdark or heroic at all

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

xtothez posted:

After finishing the final Brood Brothers squad last week, this week I've managed the first 2 of 6 new GSC characters:

Also someone is brute-forcing image URLs for future articles on the community website, and found this dude:

Those dudes look great! The Iconward has gone from the worst character to one of my favorites.

I loving love the idea of hams brute forcing URLs lmao

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

This essay is pretty long and gets really deep into stuff I've never really thought about, but I've seen it linked a bunch.

http://hipsterhammer.tumblr.com/post/156891771531/on-slaanesh

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Had a pretty cool 40k game today vs my buddy's Blood Angels. Fully buffed Aberrants with Primus, Abominant, Biophagus, Clamavus etc are really funny. Didn't even cast Might From Beyond on them. Some cool shots:

My first win in a while, and the first time I've tabled anyone in a long time. It was close though!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Can I see some gooncrons? I'm painting a kill team and need inspiration that isn't silver with a black wash

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Those are great necrons you guys. I'm planning to do turquoise guys, I'm just trying to figure out what parts are silver or not

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Gunder posted:

I’m such a basic bitch when it comes to colour schemes. Nothing makes me happier than replicating the “main” scheme that GW likes to use in the marketing materials. Hence me collecting Ultramarines. Making up my own chapters and colour schemes would just feel wrong to me. Having said that, I do like looking at other people’s original creations, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. It’s like a really dumb form of OCD.

I actually have been doing my own schemes (it helps GSC didn't really have many schemes before) because I'm afraid to gently caress up the studio ones and get well ackshuallyd

For my historical models I usually use guides tho

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I fuckin LOVE tankettes

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

I would love a Marine Tankette or something like a Bren Carrier for the Guard. :allears:

Forgeworld made some tankettes for Krieg iirc

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/catalog/product/920x950/99590105235_DkkCentaurArtilleryTractor02.jpg

muggins fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 1, 2019

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Does anybody else make a Magnarack equivalent? A-Case's stuff is too small :(

Tablewar are the originals

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

eSportseXpert posted:

Righto so I guess I'd better make this post before we're too far from the event for it to make any sense. This weekend past I went to my first tournament ever, Vanguard 2019 at B.I.G in Bristol. It's an absolutely incredible shop and the terrain was gorgeous in a way that I'm sure my quick snaps will ruin. 1750pts, playing the chapter approved 2018 missions, not ITC or anything, and 80 players of a pretty wide variety of skill levels it seemed like. Overall I had a great time, made a lot of tremendous and stupid mistakes and learned a huge amount in doing so. Not sure how soon I can do 5 games in two days again, but I'll definitely be back at this one next year. I managed to take some photos, which I'll readily admit are pretty shite in places, but I'm posting them anyway because of course you want to see it.

So on to some details, starting with what I took with me to lose catastrophically with!

Let me introduce you to Starry Seekers Astral Mining and Salvage, the first salvage operation on the Eastern Fringe to 'successfully' dismantle a space hulk:

This is the largest army I've ever fielded and painted, and I finished it the night before after working pretty much constantly since the end of January.

This looks fuckin' awesome! Great work 4 armed bro

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

I hope we'll see some Goon entries for this.

Man I wonder if crystal brush got forced out of because of this. All painting comps are the same to me but that'd be a shame

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I do agree with ijyt, I don't really see the huge hype as we've been doing this with washes and inks before. The current effect they're showing is basically a colored dip. But I'm happy to try them out.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Getting 95% of the quality of the old method in 66% to 50% of the steps is awesome.

It’s not about new effects, it’s about getting quality effects with a much lower time investment.

I hope this explanation has enriched your knowledge of this nuanced topic.

Awesome thanks JIZZ DENOUEMENT

I hope they don't really require the special gw primer because that poo poo is way too expensive

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I'm way more concerned about having to buy super overpriced primer than I'd ever be about them discontinuing stuff. I just don't see it as that worrisome

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Given that they already demonstrated the effects over metallics the primer may not be critical.

Yeah if it just works over regular $4 primer, cool. I can't really imagine it wouldn't. Designing a whole line of stuff and outputting a ton of cash and it relies on one specific primer would be pretty nuts

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

Wait Batertown still exists?

Yeah but it's a hellhole

You could try r/miniswap - set the price well enough and it'll sell. Otherwise eBay with a good price. 50% of msrp will make it go faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Artum posted:

So aside from the inevitable faults that I'm only seeing now that its blown up to 20x size I'm pretty sure Brother-Apothecary Chiron is a wrap! :toot:

This brings me up to captain, librarian, chaplain, ancient, Lt, and Apothecary for converted primaris characters. (though i dont use the Lt anymore since the wake the dead one is the best)
Just have to start painting the phobos Lt and a remake of my powerfist captain before august for NoVA and other events.

This looks great man