Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

JesusIsTehCool posted:

While I have only played one game with them my Harlequins felt a lot worse than my dark angels, they still feel way over cost for what you get. Sure you can get off some easy turn one charges with them, but they don't actually kill the stuff when they charge... and then the enemy falls back and you get murdered cause of your low toughness and you don't benefit from cover cause you have a 4++ and no armor. They are by no means unplayable, but I didn't think anything was unplayable in 7th either.

Harlequins still feel like a splash faction to me rather than a full-fledged faction. They compliment a Wych Cult list amazingly well, for example. Granted you can often get out of Incubi what you'd get out of Harlequins, but Harlequins take the cake in versatility while costing roughly the same, and have the option for some utter bullshit like pile-in/consolidate over models or even "falling back" over whatever they're fighting to shoot and charge the poo poo out of the HQ or other support piece cowering behind the combat. The one situation where Incubi win hands down is taking low-AP shooting when in cover, as a unit with a 2+ save is going to require a lot more volume of fire to drop than a 4++ unit. But that's it for Incubi, other than Drazhar and a transport they have little synergy with the rest of the army, while Harlequins have a much higher power ceiling thanks to 2 viable HQ auras, psychic powers and if you really want to pile the hurt on one unit, 9 point fusion pistols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Uh, yeah, it's not like they haven't done huge sweeping range updates ever before, nope. Utterly unthinkable scenario.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
While I'm generally really stoked about the wych cults preview to the point I might get back into the hobby to give my mans a spin, I can't deny I had to roll my eyes at them finally giving wyches a dodge save against shooting - but it's a 6+ :rolleyes:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Honestly armies relying on Keyword Aeldari, Imperium or Chaos just need to get dunked on super hard in general from an armybuilding perspective that doesn't touch any of the armies used on their own. You'd have to make some concessions for the various stupid microfactions reliant on Imperium but I guess you could just do that with a special rule like ignore these models for purposes of Imperium-as-only-keyword related penalties.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

tallkidwithglasses posted:

This army looks great!

I mostly finished up my fancyboi rogue trader, which gets me to a fully painted allied detachment for my auxilia.

gently caress yes this is bitchin' as all hell

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I'd be genuinely surprised if major tournaments didn't greenlight 6 patrol DE lists as long as every detachment is specifically a DE patrol.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. I just can't figure out what they're for. They don't seem to have the stats to be elite melee troops and they're not good tarpits like the Wyches. So... yeah. Cool models, though.

Their thing back in 7th used to be AP2 weapons combined with a lot of attacks, good WS and initiative as well as S4. Also wyches were a completely hopeless waste of points at the time. In the transition to 8th, their increased WS stopped being a thing, initiative isn't a thing at all anymore which was a nerf to all deldar melee in most situations and perhaps most importantly, AP2 is no longer a tough-to-get thing you desperately want.

They're just an example of a unit whose niche no longer exists in 8th and GW failed to assign them a new one.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Corrode posted:

Yeah I enjoyed building the Armigers and I'm looking forward to painting them, but right now they'll see the table for Apoc or gently caress about games and nothing else.

A thought on DE - an 8th ed Raider is 85pts. A 5th ed (the era of dirt cheap transports) was 70pts once you bought the 5++. So only 15pts different and the modern one is far better imo, particularly given how harsh open-topped used to be. A sign of potentially reassessing the cost of transports, or just that Raiders are really undercosted?

For the time being I'm just assuming having great transports is a faction feature, especially now that dirty craftworlders can't get their grubby mitts on them anymore.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I hope that rumor about the triplicate limit is for real, I don't think anything has soured me on 8th more than when I saw some of those lists that are just "here's the strongest unit in the army's codex, and the strongest HQ tax in the codex. As many times as points will allow."

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Zuul the Cat posted:

Working on an Inquisitor - Huda, the Lioness of Al-Shraz. Waiting on some bits to finish her.

Already owns. What's the head from?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Chiwie posted:

The only way to do Apoc 'right' is floorhammer so you can have a massive amount of room for maneuvers.

Implying any ham past the age of 12 has the knees to floorhammer.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
A bog-standard spear would still be a better weapon than a chainsword so makes sense for any marine without massive brain problems excessive imperial indoctrination to use one.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

TheBigAristotle posted:

I almost always forget to fire pistols. Is this common

If wych armies start seeing more play you'll learn super quick because they fold embarassingly fast to pistols.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The flipside of Wobbly Model is anywhere you could legally wobbly they could also, so most of the time the lip you'd wobbly on is already wobblied by your opponent, they just didn't want to spend an extra 15 minutes making crystal clear exactly where each individual model is wobblying so you don't get your gotcha. Or their entire unit is some FLY bullshit who are all wobblying ontop of the wall three stories up.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Lungboy posted:

You can't call yourself a true Ham if you're not buying your 7th army while you haven't even got a fully painted 1st army.

Sadly too long for a thread title

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

One_Wing posted:

Have you played against nids or bike spam custodes (at 2k) at all? They’re basically the only things that ever give my Eldar serious pause (outside of pre-faq abusive tournament lists), and i wonder if its the same for DE.

Second question - having played that many games, do you feel like maybe they did push the power level too far? I know I was very “the sky is falling” about the codex, but between the stuff you’ve been posting and other sources I read I’ve seen almost no reports of Dark Eldar losing in the hands of a capable player. Every time I try totting up lists for them it feels like you get about 10% more units than you reasonably should (admittedly some pre-nerf craftworld lists felt like that too).

Kabalites going from 7 points to 6 was completely unnecessary and disintegrators are too cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
This is what you get when you don't have Moola.