Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
In case it's not been said enough - collectively, that is the finest loving OP on this or any other thread, ever.

Honestly, bra-loving-vo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

GreenMarine posted:

Wavering...

Super tempted to make him a Blood Angel or Blood Drinker.

This hasn't been mentioned yet, but I really, really like this red.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Corrode posted:

A guy at my club made this: http://www.darkeyestudios.co.uk/Jay/Noise_Marine_Landraider.html

Not exactly a how-to but still awesome imo.

"DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?"

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
On the music point, as a less comedic suggestion - I can't unhear, since the early 2000's, this as the soundtrack of The Black Legion.

Machine Head - Desire to Fire (Oh God I Am Old.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2OhptaI2WQ

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

The Bee posted:

The cost of fielding him is dealing with his hugely disproportionate model and Grandma Joffrey face. I feel like touching up his Forgeworld model to give it the current one's cool flaming sword and slapping on the Primaris Captain's boltstorm gauntlet would make a much more pleasing Gulliman than the current model, but considering the triumvirate's super low cost you'd be paying far more for the model.

I can't even grasp a perspective that would ruin the 30k Guilliman by adding things from the 40k one. That model is a perfect 'Patrician' concept as-is.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Naramyth posted:

I have three of them if you want to setup a buy/trade. :v:

I'd love a step by step ( Or just all kits involved) in making one!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I can't help but enjoy the idea of an Imperial Fists army using Bolt Carbine Reivers with Grav Chutes to deploy in locations with obvious cover for targets, then not give a poo poo about said cover. Have some genuine Assault units held back (Couple of squads of SquatAssaults) and jump on whatever tries to dislodge the Reivers.

E: Side benefit - Anyone who DOES dislodge the Reivers finds themselves getting countershot by your entire army, that literally gives no fucks about that cover you took.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

TwingeCrag posted:

I am sort of dissapointed in the Fists stuff, not because it's BAD but it's just... less good than the other choices in most scenarios. I'm still gonna paint up my dudes as space bees but I think I'm going to go shopping for new chapter tactics :(

I think it's amazing if you abuse it - Yes, you need there to BE cover, but that's fine, if you don't any, you're playing 40k wrong anyway.

The goal is to get them reliant on that cover. Get your own units into it, don't fall back. Be the Imperial loving Fists and get charged. Survive, because lol Marines. Fall back, blitz the poor fuckers who charged now and who don't get cover saves in return. Re-take cover. It's incredibly fluffy, and a totally legitimate tactical move too. I'm pretty much swinging towards Imperial Fists because of the Chapter Tactics.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
My favourite thing about the new Eschers is they're burly, like they loving should be. Bravo to GW for the original Eschers (apparently the only company to manage it on their female minis) not sexualising the poo poo out of them, and bravo for these ones too.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
*Sees a bunch of Gary Morley models*

*Goes into flashbacks*

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Me and some IRL buddies were talking about 'army soundtracks' only last night.

We settled on the DOOM OST for World Eaters.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Thing is, I'd even like the Titty Tech Priest if it wasn't so gratuitous. The armoured one loses all shape again, whilst the grey flesh with the wire really works. But it's just so drat awful otherwise that it'd be a crime to own.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Cannot unsee shocked Dreadnought face in the second picture.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

BirdieBedtime posted:

Some guy on 'Eavier Metal made a squad. I don't remember his name, but they're rad as poo poo.

Wait, so what kits went into this? Because they're rad.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Why, why oh why, am I idly coming up with lists for Primaris-only forces, because I am a fluffy tool (who actually likes Power system, because I like my 40k like I like my women - Casual and entirely unbalanced.)

Well, if i'm gonna be top of page... using the Dark Imperium plus least effort:

Raven Guard Patrol (50 Power)

HQ
Captain in Gravis Armour (7)

Elites
Culexus Assassin (5)

10 Reivers (10)
Heavy Bolt Pistols
Combat Knives

Troops
5 Intercessors (5)
5 Intercessors (5)

Fast Attack
3 Inceptors (10)

Heavy Support
5 Hellblasters (8)

Going up to 75 would be:
+5 Hellblasters (8)
+Repulsor (16)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

The Sex Cannon posted:

This is rad, but if you don't sock the Culexus into an Auxiliary Detachment, all your marines lose their chapter tactics. The drawback is that the assassin costs you a command point.

I hadn't even realised this yet; Definitely (as much as I loved the Culexus back in... lol 2nd Edition) not worth losing Chapter Tactics over. I'll swap him out.

Also - drat the competition for Elite slots is fierce, with Reivers in there now too.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Kurze specifically did not have an on-screen death, as the cameras flickered out before Martin Sheen killed him. All we have is the assassin's word that he's dead.

Well, and Kurze's. It'd hugely undermine his 'death' if he didn't actually die.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Aside: I'm truly struggling to work out what Inceptors are for, especially compared to say, Aggressors. The move speed doesn't seem to in any way be worth the volume of fire lost, the greater impact if they end up in melee (which they do, with 18" range guns) and to top it off, they cost more.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
drat all of you, especially. I blame this thread. Painted my first miniature in ~20 years. Realised I'd not thinned my paints enough, but otherwise okay with the outcome:

E: Still needs a whole layer of highlights, but I don't own a bunch of colours I need.(especially a highlight gold/silver)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
General Q: Anyone got suggested good solutions for storing/transporting paints?

Just want to hold everything in one place, neat and safe.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Paint question for the cleverer people in here.

One technique I've never learnt, that I've always thought amazing is people who manage to get that more pastel, less vibrant colour look. A bit 'less is more'. What I don't know is how best to do that without losing tone. Random (brilliant) example:

Now obviously, the quality of painting there is top notch, but I'm curious how people feel about getting that less vibrant green but without losing tone, as adding white ends up too pale. Really a discussion piece, I expect there's a bunch of ways, so hit me.

E: Obviously if you compare that to the FW colour scheme (metallics, very vibrant) or the hideous one Studio has (Blue highlighted with green, ICK.) it's much more obvious.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 17, 2017

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I follow this dude on IG. This is his Alpha Guard army (and it's easily one of the most original and amazing looking armies I've ever seen). Username is Migsula.

I think if you're going to do a muted palette like that, you need to theme it well. His look really great because they have a sorta dark forest shadowy theme.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I've been watching Migsula for a while, his improvement army by army is incredible. Still can't figure how those colours are done though (Chatting to Tommie Soule, he reckons adding Khaki to usual colours is how he'd do it.)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I've decided to darken up a shade, and go for a Karak Stone armour colour. Rakarth into Pallid is lovely, but Jesus it takes too long per Marine.

This was my second Marine in the centre, (prototype with too thick paint on the right) who felt like a huge improvement in consistency: (Nothing done but armour, obviously)

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 19, 2017

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
This foray back into painting is the first time I've sprayed grey ever, and I don't think I'm ever going back to black now. Grey owns bones.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Update on the 'Shockeh rediscovers how to paint' story - Test Marine #3!

I think I'm happier painting this; I'm enjoying the very simple palette, and I find it personally really striking. Eye lenses are teal, Sergeants get white helmets, captains & lieutenants get white helmets with a teal marking of some variety (stripe, slash, etc.) Critique welcomed! So far pretty happy a lot of knowledge is tumbling out of my brain; My highlights still feel scruffy, but each Marine is looking sharper.

E: Base isn't done there. Obviously.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Thanks for the comments all - I really want to keep the Bolter casing the same as the armour, it's probably my favourite thing (going for very 'less is more') but agree some chapter/squad markings would definitely create more interest.

As I plan to play them as an RG successor, in a total "Cawl ignored Gulliman and used the traitor legion gene seed anyway, these are totally NOT ALPHA LEGION, HONEST." story, keen to try and slyly use their heraldry in some way, avoiding the actual Hydra itself. Thinking the XX symbol and the A, but avoid any reference to the Lernean.

Might go to silver shoulder trims, just to match their scheme in layout, if not colour.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Let's say, at 37 years old, I decided to be a massive dork about it - How would you paint the Punisher skull reliably onto a shoulder pad?

(Don't say Iron Warrior decals, I'm not even touching those loving things.)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Felime posted:

I'm not sure I'd do silver on the trim. The silver you have is nice but it is pretty much the same brightness as the armor and won't pop at all.

I actively don't want it to. I've done enough high contrast schemes over the years, I want visual interest without going to far outside of colour.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Last time spamming this, promise to do a squad now:
Many thanks for feedback, tried to add a bit more visual noise - Lenses in a big teal contrast hit, some freehand (there's more on the right leg) same teal used for the purity seals.

E: God phone photos make you notice how clumsy things look, up close.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 21, 2017

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's exaggerated in Primaris too - You can build a really lovely looking, fluffy army (Hell, the Dark Imperium box does it well) but it's frankly poo poo against anything blobby like IG/Orks/Nids, as you just cannot take them down hard enough, even with Redemptors/Repulsors. (your only massed dice)

Regular Space Marines suffer too, but not to the same extent.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Rules/Thought Experiment - One thing I've been hearing from my usual guys (and by extension, from people they were talking to) was how flimsy cover seems to be now.
One proposed house rule was suggested of 'Woods & Ruins provide cover exactly as written now, but also block LOS to models on the far side of them.'

Just wanted to kick this out to this wonderful collective, see if anyone has tried similar, or can spot any obvious huge pitfalls.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Corrode posted:

Why will people not just build some LoS blocking terrain rather than loving around with house rules? It really is not difficult.

E: we're coming up to 10 years since 5th ed was released and TLoS became standard and people have still not adjusted, wow.

Mostly because even if it is standard, some people just don't like it, I guess. :iiam: We'd prefer to have cool terrain without needing to fascinate over ensuring it has a 50mm barrier around the edge so it works, or making woods dense enough you can't actually put models inside them and keep it LoS blocking.

Like I said, it was purely a thought experiment as we'd been chatting about it - It feels 'right' a hull down tank or hidden squad behind a tree copse should break LoS, that's all.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Shameless abuse of rules query, whilst I'm on a roll:

Codex Space Marines posted:

If your army is led by a Space Marines Warlord, you may give one of
the following Chapter Relics to a Space Marine CHARACTER in your
army. Named characters such as Marneus Calgar already have one or
more artefacts, and cannot be given any of the following relics.

Note that some weapons replace one of the character’s existing
weapons. Where this is the case, you must, if you are playing a
matched play game or are otherwise using points values, still pay
the cost of the weapon that is being replaced. Write down any
Chapter Relics your characters may have on your army roster

So if you want to take one, you must have the equivalent basic item. For example, the Raven Guard one says you must have a Jump Pack, the Imperial Fist one says you must have a Bolt Pistol, etc.

The Armour Indominitus posted:

The wearer of the Armour Indomitus has a Save characteristic of
2+. In addition, once per battle, before making one of the wearer’s
saving throws, you can choose to activate the armour’s force field.
When you do so, the Armour Indomitus confers a 3+ invulnerable
save for the remainder of the turn.

Can you give this to a Gravis Primaris Captain, and if not, beyond 'I really don't like it', why?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Really feel Primaris characters suffer because of the new school, very fixed configurations. Where's my equipment options, GW?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
When I photograph my models, and the highlights under that range look horrendous, is it really just that horrendous, or are people just that much better at photographing their stuff?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Short one - Inceptor bases, solutions that A. permit transport and B. Do not involve selling my soul in a Faustian pact to not be poo poo, go.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I loving LOVE 'all is not yet dust'. That is an astounding turn of phrase for them.

E: What is the red base?

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 2, 2017

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm settled, going to roll with the limited original plan with just a bit more visual noise. Swapped the pauldron trims to silver (Leadbelcher, Nuln, Runefang) and added some white freehand to each Marine. Apologies for the crappy image quality, need to break out the DSLR to get some decent photos.

Feeling pretty pleased that's first miniatures in such a long time, and TOTALLY DIDN'T GET HYPE AND BOUGHT TOO MUCH STUFF. :shepspends:

E: I do need to brighten up those eye lenses, they're too dark for what I want.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

richyp posted:

In an ideal world, a few alternative heads would be all that's required. But I'm guessing the designers will be taking the modelling files to the power armour waist lines, and adding two new organs to the female space marine that require the front of the power armour to protrude.

richyp gets it - The point being that female armoured shapes are (apparently endemically, and reinforced by cinema and games especially) entirely wrong. The funny/sad (delete to level of depression) thing being they're still different to the male shape, just not in the sexualised way they get portrayed. They SHOULD alter designs to make a female shape, just not in the way they do.

E: As the media stuff is actually more prevalent to the 'historical' stuff, the easiest way is to look at modern troops in battle dress. The woman have a distinct enough silhouette to be identifiable, but weirdly, a total lack of boob armour / windows / suggestive poses. Who knew!

E2: For me, I'm okay with Astartes being an all-male faction for lore reasons, because there's nothing inherently wrong with that, aside from how wildly over-represented they are, and how they're (ick!) described as better than everybody else. If factions were in parity, that'd be fine & well. The issue is that such a huge majority of the game, the factions, the player armies etc. are all Space Marines.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Mugaaz posted:

Female Primaris marines wouldn't be too hard to fit story wise, and wouldn't invalidate much of anything that happened before.

And yes, that'd be a very easy way to reconcile them suddenly appearing.

Has the lore provisioned any way for them to NOT be dependent on Cawl yet? Can Chapters 'grow their own' yet?