Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Has anyone here used Mephiston red spray? I'm considering it to accelerate the base work on my loyalist Primaris Thousand Sons. Does it need a primer underneath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
If I name my space marine chapter "Ork" does this mean my <Chapter> keyword becomes Ork so I can field Orks with my marines? :D

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

I wouldn't actually do such a thing.

Is that from a FAQ? I haven't read any FAQs yet.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

That seems like an entirely sane FAQ.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Wavering...

Super tempted to make him a Blood Angel or Blood Drinker.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Are there any alt marine heads with long flowing hair that would be good for Blood Angels?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

On the plus side that Asian restaurant was pretty tasty.

I think I learned a lot about how survivable Battlewagons are (extremely), but also how ridiculously potent meltaguns are when used properly. I think units of meltaguns (like Command Squads) in transports would be incredibly dangerous for the Guard. Drive up, unload melta squad, nuke enemy, repeat.

I wonder if the full listing for Primaris Hellblaster squads will have a melta version. I suspect the Primaris codex is going to look a bit like a Sigmar codex with simplified weapon options.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
In the Forge World Index Astartes, it has Spartans as Lords of War (too bad, was hoping for heavy). They are also relics. The relic rule says you cannot have more than one relic in a battle-forged detachment than you have other units of the same battlefield role.

Ah, also the Relic Contemptor has the full suite of weapon options, as well as a kind of feel no pain on a 6 ability called "Relic of Ancient Glory."

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 21, 2017

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
"If your army is battle-forged, no detachment may contain more RELIC units than it does non-RELIC units of the same battlefield role." Maybe they intend this or maybe they will FAQ it. Either way, you can't take a RELIC super heavy without taking at least one non-RELIC superheavy.

The book seems good overall.

One other thing, there are two rules called "Relic of Ancient Glory." One is the aforementioned feel no pain like effect.

The other is a Stratagem that costs 2 CP and says "This Stratagem is used at the beginning of your fight phase. Choose a single friendly RELIC unit, all friendly ADEPTUS ASTARTES models within 6" of the chosen RELIC unit may re-roll the first failed hit roll of that phase."

So that doesn't seem too bad.

Also, Storm Eagles and Fire Raptors are not relics.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 21, 2017

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The PL system isn't for people who want to squeeze the most out of their list. If you say "now I have to max this unit out to get the most bang per PL" you should be using points. PL is for "lets play some warhammer and drink some beers and have fun and not sweat the list building details too much" type of dudes. And for players who just aren't that good at warhammer, whose play isn't squeezing out the most per turn, or who like to charge their world eaters across the acid slime because that's what they would do in real life...PL seems fine.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

General Olloth posted:

Just want to check, I assume the interpretation of the tyranid/ork/whatever rules that say things like "If this unit contains 20 or more models" then it doesn't apply if you have some in the unit die in the game itself, taking it below the number?

Yes. The moment it falls below the threshold the bonus no longer applies.

Upon comparison, it looks like the Triumvirate models are all primaris sized (cypher, etc).

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

General Olloth posted:

Yeah I thought so.

I ordered the Tyranid Swarm box and it has 40 termagants and 40 hormagaunts. I should run blobs of 30/10 and not 20/20 if losing a single model drops the bonus right?

Yeah. One model drops and you'll be down the bonus, so if you want to leverage it you need some buffer.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Texmo posted:

Man the new flying stems they made for the Inceptors (and i'm assuming kharadon overlords) are so atrociously bad. A little hole to poke a stick into would've been perfect, but this stupid cradle is incredibly fragile and hard to pose things on. Seems like a major flaw in an otherwise really impressive release, because all the rest of the models' assembly is really well designed, easy to put together while still retaining detail and being relatively unique.

A week's painting managed to produce a sum total of ten finished models. I'm very proud of my amazing progress, and look forward to possibly finishing the whole set some time before the heat death of the universe.

I haven't broke one yet, but it does seem fragile. Would have preferred they use the Tau style ball joint.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Safe-Plasma will replace bolters like bolters replaced volkite.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I think those guys look like Coalition soldiers from Rifts.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Here is my first finished Primaris:

Custom loyalist Thousand Sons successor as of yet unnamed.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

BULBASAUR posted:

Nice blood raven

I just don't like the name Blood Raven :(

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Pendent posted:

Huh, that actually looks a lot like the scheme I'm using for my Blood Angels. I definitely like the finished product.

It's pretty much the same as the Blood Drinkers chapter, which is a BA successor.

Whoa that Chaplain kitbash is amazing.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

JackMack posted:

It is from this guy http://knightmareminiatures.com . He also sculpted the Eddie the Head miniature I won't stop posting. He sculpts a lot of great Oldhammer style stuff for both WFB and 40K.

Is it a Fimir???

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Terror troops and psychological warfare isn't alien to the Imperium. The reivers are a return to the norm. In the Horus Heresy each legion maintained units that specialized in the use of terror tactics, rad weapons, or bio weapons. There are stories of compliance being enforced solely through a world learning of these terror tactics. Even the Ultramarines had destroyer cabals.

:goonsay:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

LingcodKilla posted:

Primaris marines look great with beaky helmets. Shaved off the purity seals and scopes too.

Beefy!

Now that you mention it, it's a bit weird that they have scopes if they have autosenses. Maybe they are playing into the tendency for marines to remove their helms all the time to look suitably masculine.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

bonds0097 posted:

I hope the enhanced digital editions of the books get updated with the latest FAQ/errata, would be nice to have everything in one place and that seems like the huge advantage of digital media. Also would be great if they added new releases like the new primaris characters and reivers to the index.

They just need an app! The Sigmar app is great. Every warscroll is in there and when they update the rules it's immediately reflected in the app. On the downside, it's list builder tool isn't very good.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Floppychop posted:

Stormboys are a neat kit, but obscenely expensive, even by GW standards. $25 for 5 models that you field in units of 30 is too rich for my blood.

I wonder if they would rebox if they got some pressure. They reboxed several Sigmarine kits at a lower price point per model earlier this year.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Some of my in progress loyalist Thousand Sons.

I've got a few specks of drybrush that I need to cleanup on each model. Whoops.

I have some extensive lore I need to write up for this army, but they are Thousand Sons, mostly Pavoni and Athaenians - sucessors of the marines stationed on Arkkad who escaped the burning of Prospero. Primaris reserves from stasis. Something about the Primaris process keeps the flesh change in check (for now). They aggressively hunt heretic Thousand Sons. Unlike the Blood Ravens, they do not believe the Rubric to be reversible and seek to destroy Ahriman and Magnus. They are openly attempting to rebuild their legion, courting disaster (but the Thousand Sons are arrogant and the Pavoni particularly so). Most of this army know only the Great Crusade and Heresy, not the intervening Long War.

These Primaris Thousand Sons were kept on Zhao-Arkkad, a loyal Forge World that was openly loyal to the Thousand Sons during the Heresy and secretly loyal to them after the Scouring. Several Arkkadian forges protected the true identity of the [Sons of Khepri] space marine chapter - a chapter that was, in reality, a Thousand Sons successor. After the revival of Guilliman, the forges activated their Primaris reserves who immediately seized control of the chapter and reorganized it according to Prosperine (and Achaemenid) traditions - re-instituting the Red Orders and the Rehati (secret ranks within the formal rank structure) as well as the Pesedjet (the organization of the legion into nine fellowships or chapters).

Red helmets are standard marines.
Black helmets are sergeants, often with script to indicate the soldiers position within the Rehati.
Lieutenants are black helmets with gold grills.
Captains are gold helmets.
Veterans will likely be white helmets.

This Captain is a Magister-Templi, flanked by a sergeant and an intercessor. The Thousand Sons do not use squad markings and squad membership is known to be fluid - more subject to the requirements of the Rehati and its obscure code.

These guys will likely hit the field along with various relics from the Heresy, Skitarii and Cultists of Zhao-Arkkad, and perhaps elements of the once thought defunct Legio Lacrimae.

The Scarab on the right shoulder is a traditional symbol of the Thousand Sons and also the mark of Khepri, which according to Prosperine lore is also a symbol of rebirth. On the left most wear the mark of the legion. The captain bears the legion's numeral XV and some Prosperine script. Each of these warriors is oathed to the moment, perhaps to achieve a particular objective or uphold some demanding standard of battlefield conduct.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 4, 2017

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

If your loyalists met the prodigal sons, would they be allies, or enemies?

They would kill them. There is a broken sword from a heretic Thousand Sons sorcerer buried in the sand on the base of the captain. Hard to see in the image.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

JBP posted:

He has one primary mission and the warmaster told him to do it. He shrugged his shoulders and said "sure whatever I want to kill Magnus anyway because he's a bookworm".

Russ feared Magnus. He feared the flesh change. He knew his own legion was subject to it. Russ witnessed the first flesh change and killed the first marine. He sought to kill Magnus out of fear and to try and stop his own legion from falling to the change. He failed, since the Wulfen first appeared at Prospero.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
In scouring various bits of lore related to the Thousand Sons, I discovered that the Grey Knights were founded by a Thousand Son blackshield named Janus, or Ianus. The most common belief among Warhams is that Grey Knights were from the Emperor's Gene Seed, but this seems unlikely to me. They don't have the stature or personality of the Custodian Guard. It seems more likely that the Grey Knights are successors of Magnus as that they represent what the Emperor intended for the Thousand Sons: weaponized psyker marines. The most recent lore bits suggest that the Grey Knights are derived from Janus.

Janus is Revuel Arvida, a Corvidae and the same guy who is claimed to be the founder of the Blood Ravens. Janus is unusual in that he was merged with a fragment of Magnus* by Malcador.

* It isn't widely known that the Daemon Primarch Magnus isn't 100% Magnus. Magnus was shattered and various bits of his mind are spread around the galaxy. It could be that Janus did found also the Blood Ravens in order to find the fragments of Magnus and reuinite them. One is the daemon primarch, one is bound to Prospero, one is bound to Janus (and maybe now stored on Titan), one is lost in the warp, etc. However, most have been absorbed by the daemon primarch. More importantly, the fragment that represented Magnus's empathy and fatherlyness has been destroyed and the fragment that represents his nobility is held by the Grey Knights.

So What I'm Saying is that the Grey Knights appear to be a loyalist Thousand Sons successor and that this has been built up by hints in recent lore. This knowledge appears to be known only to the Great Khan who assisted in their founding (as well as the original founding of the Librarius - the Khan seems to believe that the warp can be tamed and the Thousand Sons were/are the ones to do it).

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Grey Knights are super super secret and even other marines don't know they exist, so literally every bit of lore we have on them is in question. Its all Inquisition secrets and mind games.

I wouldn't consider that accurate at all.

Grey Knights aren't a successor of any legion. They're a wholly unique thing built after and designed for a single purpose, shrouded in mystery.

Plus the idea that "well a shard of magnus' good side..." sounds dumb to me.

No, this isn't true. The Horus Heresy books extensively cover the founding of the Grey Knights. There are scenes set on Titan during the construction of their fortresses, short stories (and books where he appears) that go into detail on the life of Arvida, etc. The picture is pretty widely set, but most people haven't read the entire 30k series. I've read nearly the whole thing and the foundation of all of this is definitely there (including the shards of Magnus stuff, etc).

Re below: The audiobooks pass the time on my commute.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 6, 2017

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there a sniper rifle version of the Reivers? It isn't clear to me what battlefield role the shank and pistol loadout is for.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
edit: NOOOO BEATEN!!!! I WILL CRUSH YOU!!!!

Cool CQB pose on that reiver. The grappling hook is a bit cornball.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 16, 2017

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Regarding Necrons, I'm reading Dark Imperium and Pharos at the same time. The warp suppression technology that Abaddon disrupted is all Necron in origin. They apparently turned it all on and went to sleep only to wake up to find everything hosed up, have been too slow or not caring enough to do anything about it. Cawl has been extensively studying Necron tech, giving equipment to Guilliman to install on various Necron suppression worlds. Their goal is to figure out how the suppression network functions, jack up its output, and seal the warp rift. Guilliman considers this his long term objective.

Guilliman has also rebooted the whole "space marines should be good citizens" thing, encouraging them to take up diplomatic roles, planetary leadership roles, art, etc. He's sidelined Calgar to the rule of Macragge and Calgar isn't happy about it (he feels like a failure). A bunch of the primaris marines remember the pre-heresy Imperium and don't like the Codex Astartes and want the legions back, but they are going with it for now. Guilliman is writing a new book called the Codex Imperium which contains instructions for how to rule a planet, etc, and it seems he wants to make the administratum and high lords weaker by essentially empowering the marines to organize government instead.

He's also very gently influencing the state religion, but recognizes it's going to be an uphill battle.

In the book it says that the civilians are familiar with the "Emperor's Mercy" being a shot to the head and "Guilliman's Mercy" being a second chance.

Seems like they are smoothing some of the grimdark edge, but only slightly. I like where things are going because they are injecting some of the Horus Heresy political vibe into things.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
What's up with Necrons? Almost every kit is sold out online.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
My randomly generated chapter are the Desolation Raiders. Bad rear end!

Actually, "Red Sisters" was the first thing that showed up, but I figured that would be a problem.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

MMAgCh posted:

Then there are the Umbrageous Inculpators, whose chapter motto probably is "We Try Too Hard".

I am in awe. A chapter of "Shadowy Accusers"

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Pert was friends with Fulgrim, until:

1) Fulgrim drags Pert into the Eye of Terror.
2) Fulgrim has perfumed followers dancing around and killing each other. The IW solders watch and have no idea what's going on.
3) Fulgrim tries to drain Pert's soul to transfigure into a daemon prince, which works but Pert doesn't die.

This sort of destroys their friendship.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Oh no! My hobby lamp fell off my desk sometime last night and broke. Had it for 10 years. Was a dayglo type lamp with magnifying glass. A real work horse. Man down!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The last two pages have been fantastic. Keep the hobby coming!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I had the thought tonight that they are setting up Calgar to fall to chaos.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Reivers: Carbines or Knives?

I think I'll put the flamestorm on my aggressors...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Argh, my list is 2001 points and the way they do points and upgrades in this edition (with entire squads usually getting the wargear change) it makes it hard to make an adjustment to fix it.