Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
When I get home I have some freshly painted sisters of silence I need to post. Should have sent them earlier but i was way behind on the other thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
That's some nice gold and smooth crests.

Some sisters of silence. I may try to get pictures of them on some nice scenery tomorrow if some for the OP are needed:

Also need some touchups. I forgot how much the camera brings out every flaw.

Edit: Also for bronze, I prefer a red or purple shade to a brown one. gives it more color imo.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Moose-Alini posted:

Got a citadel color suggestion for that? I hate brass scorpion and warplock bronze. They are way too close to the golds.

I have been using hammered copper from vallejo as my base, with bright bronze on top. As a wash, I go with a reikland fleshshade equivalent, or just purple paint diluted with water and glaze (Lahmian) medium.

In GW paints, that's probably balthasar gold for the base, though it's not nearly as nice and rich and red as hammered copper is. Then, for the shade, Reikland Fleshshade or druchii violet. Then a highlight of golden griffon or liberator gold.

The difference between gold and brass or copper is fairly subtle, and you can use almost the same paints with different amounts of subtlety and washes to get different effects.

Our lord and savior Duncan has a tutorial on purplish bronze. I went for a more reddish color with mine, but that's really just swapping out the wash color and intensity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96RYPJIbJ_k

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Moose-Alini posted:

So what's the verdict on AdMech? It's my main deal and I'm hearing worrying reports out there. But I guess I need to paint all these electro priests I have since they are good now?

a bit early to call, but they seem really solid. Electropriests are silly and the rest is good.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

The Sex Cannon posted:

I said I'd try to organize it, so here we go:

Let's all go to the DC AREA HAM SLAM!

What: some goons meet at someone's house or a game store and play Warhammer 40,000 for a day. I'm thinking more casual "let's meet up and play games" kind of thing, but if we could get some sides going, we could do a mini campaign.
When: (tentatively) July 15th. Just a suggestion, I have commitments on the 22nd and 29th, but we can do August, too, if people are busy.
Where: Ideally we could do it at someone's house if they have 2-3 tables, but if not [url//=huzzahhobbies.com/wordpress/]Huzzah Hobbies[/url] is a good store and has many tables.

DC/MD/VA Goons: respond here or PM me to let me know if you're interested or have a place to play that's not a store.

Ouch, Huzzah's pretty out of the way for me (To the tune of an hour and a half, though my usual store (Games and Stuff in glen burnie) is 50-60 minutes away since I live in Southern Maryland. I could make it over, but not really a regular thing. Dream Wizards seems a bit more managable a drive. Of course, there are probably more NOVA goonhams than Southern Maryland ones.

Since I can't really provide a place to play, I will extend an open offer to bring over some booze or buy some pizza for anything I can make it to at someone's house. Goons east of the beltway and annapolis area or further south especially welcome.

On a related note, how is the GW Store at Bowie? I heard it got shrunk down massively and is only 2 tables now or something, but that comes from someone who has written off all orks as horrible trash after playing three games with them, so I'm not sure how much I can trust his opinions on things being terrible.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sup fellow Southern MD Goonham! I live in Waldorf. The Sex Cannon can attest that I am not a murderer.

The GW Store is no longer called GW; it's a "Warhammer" store run by one guy named Kevin who happens to be really nice and is trying his damndest to get a community up and running. Currently the store is mostly full of painters. It's clean, reasonably accessible, and Kevin is actually a pretty decent guy. It's worth the drive if you want to get out of your house. How the hell are you getting to G&S in less than an hour?

Also Orks are amazing.

It's mostly that I live closer to Annapolis than you do. About the same distance to Bowie, though.

I'm in Owings, right on Route 2. 2 may only be 2 lanes, but it goes pretty much straight to annapolis and is almost never congested, and then 97 moves really quickly outside of rush hour.

If you ever want to get a game in, be it at bowie or otherwise, my schedule is reasonably open. I pretty much can't do jack on a work day, but I have days off during the week fairly often and can play whenever on those, in addition to weekends. If you want, I can PM you my facebook or whatever so we don't poo poo up the thread too much.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Snidesworth posted:

Agreed. It feels strange that something that used to put down a pie plate now has the same number of shots as a frag missile.

Yeah, I think the two layers of random just feels kinda rough for something that doesn't really knock it out of the park even when it hits. It used to be a pretty good bet you'd get at least a hit or two, but now it's super easy to get jack poo poo. And a 6 on your 'scatter' only means you get an average of 3 hits from what's effectively half a krak missile.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

The Sex Cannon posted:

In the future, let me know when you're painting and I'll make sure to fit the podcast to your busy schedule! :v

DC HAM SLAM CHAT

Slamming hams is always better at home, and I'd be willing to travel North of Bodymore. If you wanted to host, I'd definitely bring beer and food as a tribute. I might also be able to secure a 3rd table for the use of such an event. You'd also get a totally rad shoutout on the 40k Badcast! I'm no murderer, and many goons can back me up on that, and I know several dudes from this thread in this area aren't murderers, either. Or at least, they didn't show me their corpse collections.

Huzzah's actually a good hour to hour and a quarter away from me, too, and it's just a suggestion as I've been there before and the people are nice, the space is clean, and there is food nearby. I've heard Games n Stuff is cool and I'd be willing to head up that way, too.

I've had about 5 people PM me with interest for this event, so it could definitely be a thing. If we could play at Anamal's place that'd be perfect, and if not, Huzzah or Games n Stuff are probably our best bets. It seems that people are free on the 15th, so I'm gonna lock that in as our Ham Slam date. LMK if you guys have any preference of venue, but if Anamal is amenable, then that's where my vote would go.

I can vouch that Games and Stuff is an AMAZING store. Plenty of (great) terrain, great (and plenty of) staff, and they've got... 4 6x4 tables, 5 4x4s, and a bunch of boards that can be put out on the normal tables to provide additional minis space if there's room there. Saturdays can be busy, but I've never had much trouble finding room to play. No events on the 15th either from what I can see.

That said, I'm good with whatever venue for a one off event. And north baltimore isn't too bad. Recurring makes it harder to manage a distance away though.

Felime fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 27, 2017

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ANAmal.net posted:

Games and/or Stuff is a solid store, but I'm good with hosting since I won't have to go anywhere and also we can get trashed. July 15th, then? Once we have an invite list together I can PM people the address, but like I said, north of Baltimore, just off of of 795. A table would be a good thing to bring along, if you have one - I have a 4x6 and a 4x8, and I can borrow enough terrain from ShadowDaesh to populate a third, but I don't have enough actual literal tables. Worst-case I'll just buy a folding table, I guess.

Caveat: I have a cupola cats, so if anyone is allergic or just hates cats, that might be a problem.

Never mind, no longer interested. :v:

Warning: I will try to pet your cats a cupola times and therefore may get blood on your things.

I have some of the sector imperialis stuff unassembled I can try to get together and bring over if you need terrain.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

The Bee posted:

Alright, awesome. From this page, the main thing that has me confused is the mace of sorts in the bottom-left guy's hands.

He's pulling out a grenade. Loadout on the plague marine squad is a plasma, 5 bolters, and a power fist/bolter.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I think the streams got crossed with the OTHER thread.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Received an Ork Warboss on Bike. Had a busted part. Called FW requesting a replacement for the part.

A second Warboss is now being shipped to me.

I love Forgeworld.

GW Prime do this too, at least for finecast as it's all one sprue. I had some bubbling on the eye and face of one of my death cult assassins and they are just sending another one (as soon as it comes back in stock from the UK). I imagine if there was a serious defect on a plastic kit, as rare as that is, it's cheaper to just put in an order in their system for a full new kit as opposed to having a mechanism in place to pull partial kits.

I had some Kasrkin parts missing when I did a special order, and they just sent the parts, but that was all special order and manual packing to start with, so it wasn't really a change. No clue how it works with the few metal models they have still, but I imagine they probably just send a new kit for in stock stuff.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

Turned out way better than I'd hoped. I'll get some better shots of him tomorrow.

Snaaaaaaaaaaaazzy, looks great. Could use some jazz on the base, though, possibly some skulls to up his skull quotient.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

LordAba posted:

Nurgle lord? Can kill 9 termagaunts a turn. Tervigon? Can bring back 10 a turn.

Get hosed.

That was my first game of 8th edition.

Falling back: not just for shooty armies

Felime fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 2, 2017

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

LordAba posted:

What was he gonna do? Fall back so I can shoot him and assault him again?
To be fair, that was the only model left on that side of the board, and I basically had 2 chunky units of termagaunts. 1000 point list was:

1 Tervigon
1 Prime w/ swords
25 gaunts w/ 15 devourers
29 gaunts
5 warriors w/ deathspitters, 1 VC
1 Exocrine

This is a tough 1000 point list.

Oh. I thought you were the nurgle guy complaining about a cupola gaunts. Anything unsupported against gaunts is gonna be tarpitted forever.

That said, that list doesn't look too bad. Strong, but only armies with no plan for that sort of thing would have no chance.

Of course, I've been running a guard battalion at 1000 so that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I mean, it covers the basic weapon options well without cluttering up the rules. Seraphim can use pistols akimbo. Marines can have a bolter and pistol can't fire both, and models with a bunch of weapons like vehicles or crisis suits can fire them all without an exception

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

glitchkrieg posted:

One of the people at my club has made a Kickstarter that could be useful for 8E - Woundwang*

Simple wound tracking for characters/monsters/vehicles.

* I cringed when he called it that

I'd be more inclined to join in the fun it didn't have WANG written on it, or look like a wang. A simple bar would have been... a little more salable.

In model painting news: Doing my custodes. Purple wash over gold looks soooooo good and rich. Mine is VMA Gold with a wash of Golden High Flow Dioxazine Purple Transparent (Pretty much just the same as a GW shade paint, though I watered it down some.

and a bonus primaris Marines Errant test model to get in on the quartered marine fun (Halved technically). He needs a bit of tidying up along the backpack, but I'm putting that off until I have the white color out again.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

TKIY posted:

I'd have backed this if it wasn't just a huge dick joke.

Same.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Skails posted:

Your custodes look sharp. How are you painting the white armor? Looks cool! Anyone else get a good white armor formula?

Generic version: Bone washed with agrax earthshade, then everything but the recesses redone with bone.

Specific: Golden High Flow Acrylic 'Titan Buff' airbrushed(for convenience mostly) on over white primer, then washed with agrax earthshade. Then retouched with Golden Fluid Acrylic Titan Buff. The high flow acrylics are a wee bit too runny to use with a brush unless you're just doing an undercoat as they get a bit hard to control.

You'd have to experiment a little with other bone colors, but it should work fine. Titan Buff is just a nice warm cream color I like for this. (Plus I work across the street from an art store most days, so I can get artist paints quicker than model paints, and I love the golden high flow ones for airbrushing.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Ahahahaholyshit that's absurd.

Like, I get that single character molds are expensive and may only have limited sales because people don't buy multiples of them, but $45 for one model is dumb. If only there were some other material they could forge their models out of. Perhaps metal or non lovely resin? No, that's what's truly absurd, nothing but plastic as far as the eye can see!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

TKIY posted:

Some guy just went 5-0 in a UK GT with this list:

Yncarne
Yvraine
Farseer
Maugan Ra
3 beastmasters
5 kabalites
149 Razorwing flocks

8th edition ladies and gents.

Detachment limits seem rather important for tourneys.

Without them there's nothing really stopping me from taking THE ENTIRE ASTRONOMICON (133 Astropaths)

And you can even have command points if you take it in Vanguard detachments:
15 command points
15 Primaris Psykers
2 Commissars
103 Astropaths

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
So I have a great use for ratlings. A squad of them plus a few sentinels can really cut down on deep strike shenanigans. Infantry guard can really saturate their deployment zone and on some maps you can deny a lot of area with a scout move and late setup outside your zone, at least for turn 1 charges

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

FiestaNinja posted:

Would acetone do something about the greenstuff? I know it wears down plastic if you have it in there long enough.

:frogsiren:

Do not put plastic in acetone. 'long enough' to start softening detail is measured in seconds. I haven't tested it, specifically, but I've dunked bases in acetone when they wouldn't come off and they get gummy in minutes.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

You should be. Those are gorgeous.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Specifically the unit has to be 100% within a piece of cover-granting terrain to receive cover. The game defines "within" as "touching". This is compared to "wholly within" which means no part of the model may be outside the region, such as being wholly within 3" of a transport when disembarking.

What size magnets?

and does anyone have a good way to keep them from swiveling? Someone had a similar setup, but they seemed to twirl all over at the slightest provocation.

Without special materials, my best thought is to drill in, mount a bit of nail in there, then mount the magnet sideways on the flight stand so it goes into a little greenstuffed 'slit' so that it can't swivel side to side.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Is the D.C. Hamma Slamma still happening on the 15th? If so can someone gimme a ride or pick me up at a metro? I promise I won't murder you if you don't murder me.

I can pick you up at a metro most likely. Given it's north Baltimore I shouldn't be going too far out of the way to get to one. Are there any weekend service issues that might cause problems?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Ratlings are great for their points. Not always useful, but they can take out the occasional support char. Even if they don't they draw hate and the 9 inch bubble of no deep strikes can be pivotal.

Scions are brutal but fragile. I have been running 2 squads and a prime in every guard game so far. Placement is huge and having somewhere to drop them where they can't be killed but you can get the most out of them can win the game. Probably not worth delaying coming in if you size but I've been considering the possibility.

For any goons in Baltimore I will be at games and stuff today. Look for the tall dude with a ponytail wearing a red t shirt and playing patchwork looking guard most likely

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm visiting friends up there and may stop by to get some paint. Look for the even taller dude wearing glasses and a gray polo.

You can verify me by the codephrase: "Hey, are you Evan?" because that is way better than some goony poo poo about stairs.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah, I was wondering this too - I was hoping I could make Sex Cannon do all the work because I'm poo poo at planning, but I guess anyone who wants to get hammered and throw down some hams, uhhh, I guess we're doing this next weekend, and I need to clean my house?

Who all is in on this - Felime, Beer4TheBeerGod, Sex Cannon, probably others? I'll PM you at some point this week when I'm drunk enough to send abusive PMs but not so drunk that I've forgetten where I live.

If anyone has a f table they can bring, I'd appreciate it - I have enough terrain between what's here and what I can steal from ShadowDaesh, but I need some like, sawhorses or whatever, to put the Realm of Battle tiles on.

EDIT: actually, scratch that, I have a folding table that'll probably work, so I'll sort it out with Daesh and we should be able to run 3 tables at once.

I assume this post means you are ok with goons getting drunk at your house and are ok with me making my contribution in the form of alcohol?

If not, or if too many people are bringing booze, I can spring for pizza or something.

Additionally: Beer4TheBeerGod can now vouch that we coexisted in the same room (full of potential witnesses) without any murder attempts. He also wasn't kidding about even taller. Jesus.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

The Bee posted:

They mentioned special abilities, plural, so I doubt this is everything. I'm hoping they get a Lictor style ambush, personally.

By any chance, what are the most morale-dependent armies?

If you take out the support guard crumble to morale fairly fast. I think a lot of armies can be but most of them have ways to mitigate it. Creates some interesting counterplay I think.

Snipers targeting commissars and officers are terrifying to a guard player.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

How many points or PL for the HAMSLAM? I want to know how much I need to quickly paint/assemble.

Blood bowl rules. Armies will slowly grow over the night as people get too drunk to notice extra players on the field.

gently caress if I'm getting everything painted, though I'll certainly make an effort to get more painted.

(I will probably bring 2000pts ish of guard and poo poo to cover my bases, but I'm totally cool with 1k, 1500, 1337, or however many points people want to play. I don't plan on getting too drunk, but I'm still going to premake some lists. Otherwise I'm likely to make massive errors in adding poo poo up.)

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

Can you retards stop quoting the other retard please?

:thejoke:

Also I'm a poo poo without everything painted.Partly because I took a break from 40k for like 10 years.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I would have guessed they'd get the 18 inch infiltrate thing.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Alokgen posted:

Thanks doods. A lot of people use vinyl stencils for their diamonds, but those work much better with an airbrush. I don't own one, so my diamonds and gradients are all free hand.

Honestly, you just have to go for it. Do them a few times and they'll look like mine. And mine are no where near as perfect as a stencil.

Freehand? Jesus Christ,

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'll gladly take your Orks, but I just found out that MY WIFE has something going on in the evening and I wouldn't be able to play for more than a cupola hours. So rather than drive three hours for only a little bit of nerd time I'm going to hold off on this one and OFFER MY HOUSE FOR THE NEXT HAM SLAM. You can give them to Sex Cannon and he can ensure they make it my way, or we can use an opportunity to bitch about Star Citizen as an excuse to get together and drink beer while playing hams.

Sweet. Hamslam 35 minutes from me. Also we need to meet up at the Bowie store or games and stuff sometime.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Hummingbird James posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/14/ultramarines-and-the-redemptor-dreadnought-first-lookgw-homepage-post-2/

We now know the statline of the new Dreadnought and its power level, but also we know the new Ultramarines Chapter Tactic: +1 Ld (meh) and their units can Fall Back and still shoot, but at a -1 penalty.

drat... No wonder Marines kinda suck if chapter tactics are supposed to be that good.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Speaking of rough riders, I bought a bunch of the warlord games biker sprues when they had their sprue sale, and I'm thinking of using them for bikers.(worked out to ~$3 a bike) Does anyone have any tips for legs? I'm probably going to mangle some cadian legs and repose them, but figuring out how to get the groin to fit well is stalling me a bit.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Yeah, heavy weapons are hitting on 5+, but that's better than nothing for a dakka/rifledread.

I think tac squads with special weapons benefit the most. Appropriate for the most codexest of chapters.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Potential BFF posted:

No poo poo, that circled area is basically the same bolt and chamber setup used in the minigun, which has been around since the early 1960s.

I like it and hey, if it works, it works!

Which is pretty much the same as the original Gatling gun from 1860(obviously with modern manufacturing and materials). It is a very good set up for a high rate of fire gun and very reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
First DC/Baltimore HAMSLAM was a great success. Met some cool goons and played some cool hams. Imperial guard remain ridiculous.

Highlights include tons of dick jokes, me learning not to set beer bottles on the table, and anamal.net continuing to pound drinks as the rest of us were sobering up to drive home and shouting obscenities at everyone.

Overall, an excellent slam.