Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

admech paint up really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Feeling vindicated about my choice of putting the quad bolters on my Fire Raptor.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I'm seeing tau players complain that dark eldar are overpowered I feel like I've awoken in some sort of topsy turvy world.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

gettin' a little skeeved out now.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

more fists

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Otoh noise marines are still really good though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

There's a couple cases where the PL seems inflated as hell.

Made a Grey Knights list that barely broke 1900pts but was 203pl.

Trying to figure out where the defect was coming from short of giving every model a daemonhammer.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I mean yeah we're falling into the AoS-era "just don't play with waac-ers" line but points are there more or less for that exact reason.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Drew Carey stronk.

Everything is made of paper but there are dark lances everywhere and everything moves loving fast.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Salamanders <-> Death Guard. Slow, indomitable legions. One disdains weapons that cause unnecessary collateral damage while the other revels in chemical warfare. One primarch was buddies with almost everyone, one was kinda a miserable jerk to everyone except horus and curze.

Edit: And really, Space Wolves <-> Thousand Sons. Both suffer a terrible mutating curse. Also jocks vs. nerds.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 23, 2017

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Just had a space marine vs. space marine game, 1500pts, the mission was No Mercy. Lost by 1 point in turn 6, which was way closer than it looked.

Thoughts follow:
-Lias Issodon babysitting two laserbacks and a las devastator squad is a frightening sight. His special boltgun is pretty nice too.
-Say what you will about smite, its goddamn brutal when it goes off. My librarian wiped out a combat squad bubblewrapping his gravis captain, and then took down half a vindicator. His burned down most of a scout squad who were engaged in combat.
-The amount of saves you still get is kinda nuts, especially when you wouldn't expect them like against powerfists and such. There were at least two occasions where I hit and wound his vehicles with two lascannons, only for him to roll boxcars :argh:
-Vindicators weren't particularly effective against my entrenched infantry, but whenever they went against a vehicle they absolutely wrecked it. RIP Contemptor.
-Everyone knows about the twin assault cannon razorbacks. Twin las razorbacks are okay. Las-plas razorbacks are a surprise winner now that they get 4 plasma shots at close range.
-Sternguard are still good. That -2AP goes way further than you would expect.
-Vehicle changes are going to take a while to get used to. Me and my opponent are too used to shenanigans based around measuring LOS from the weapons instead of anywhere on the model. Led to things like a character I thought was out of LOS getting picked off by a flyer among other things.
-Sniper Scouts don't seem too great and didn't do much. Got one round of shooting off before they were charged by a combat squad. Giving the sergeant a power sword paid off and might've turned things around for the squad had his librarian not intervened.
-Command Points are a goddamn smart addition to the game and even if you're just using them for rerolls managing them well is going to be one of those skills you gotta learn. Of note was my opponent burning a reroll to attempt to end the game while he was ahead in kill points at the end of turn 5.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Smiting into/while in combat is basically how GK Purifiers work.

Shame they're basically exceedingly expensive GKSS in all other respects now.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

minor thing but apparently the digital version of the index fixed the stormtalon's strafing run typo.

And yeah, battlescribe is a bit weird I've really only ever used it for the points costs and never really trusted the list validation thing.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

chutche2 posted:

So my friend that runs all the dreadnoughts had them all in one place the other day. Looks like he has 1 relic contemptor, 8 other contemptors (most plastic, some were contemptor mortis) 6 venerables, 2 standard,, 2 ironclads, and a leviathan.

:wtc:

This is an actual 2000 point list

Vanguard detachment:
Techmarine with servo arm and power axe

5x contemptors, 4 with kheres 1 with multimelta

Vanguard detachment
Techmarine with servo arm and power sword

2 venerables with twin lascannon and missile launcher
Venerable with twin lascannon and heavy flamer DCCW
2x Venerable with assault cannon + heavy flamer DCCW
Dreadnought with twin heavy flamer + heavy flamer DCCW

We call his collection the Space Marine Retirement Home.
Played something similar yesterday with something like 9 venerable dreads clustered around Azrael.

That 4++ Aura is something else.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I need the biggest space marine you have...

No that's too big.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

3-5ed psychic powers: you bought psychic powers as equipment, essentially. Iirc you could only attempt a certain amount of the regardless. Roll under your Ld on 2d6, perils on 2 or 12.

Problem was powers activated during certain phases. So you had a psyker who had a power that went off at the beginning of the movement phase, another in the shooting phase, and then a force weapon which only activated if you wounded with it in there close combat phase. It was a bit of a clusterfuck.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Hammerhand, on the other... hand...

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Suddenly reminded that I left one of the old super dumb looking Chaplain Lemartes soaking in a tub of super clean for the last few days.

One of the first 40k minis I ever owned.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Some Artillery pieces and their respective gunners have different Ballistic Skill values. When you're firing an artillery piece, can you elect to have it be fired by the gunner, and therefore use the gunner's BS instead of the base BS?

I'm not familiar with all of the artillery pieces but if this were the case it would specifically say that.

IE: Thunderfire Cannon hits on 3+, and the techmarine can fire his own guns on the 2+.

Also I found a really old death company marine and apparently they just skipped leg day.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Was wondering what was up with the contemptor cyclone launchers.

Also the fire raptor autocannons.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Okay so I'm doing some 30k Imperial Fists and while I've been passably free handing the chapter insignia on my characters and terminators I really don't want to have to do that for 40+ power armor jobbers.

I found some of my old transfer sheets from before they made them Ultras-only and they're goddamn terrible and don't fit the contour of a mk.3 shoulder pad at all.

What are my options here?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

At this point I might just buy the shapeways shoulder pads.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

I think the insignias (not full pads) look good. Zuul's howling griffons use them and they look great.

Aw hell I only just saw those now. Seems a lot more cost effective and I won't need to pry off perfectly good shoulders.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Space Marines don't lose anything if thy're cross-pollinated into other imperium armies.

Admech specifically lose access to canticles if there is a non-admech unit in their detachment.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I'm also not seeing anything about mixed space marine lists losing battleforged.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The Cities of Death mission is kinda weird because apparently the loser of the roll-off to place the objectives is the one who gets the advantage of choosing the last placement *and* the deployment zones.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Last game consisted of one turn of: Half an admech army gunning the gently caress out of Guilliman as his player wanted to see just how much he could take.

He went down after getting charged by some infiltrators.

Guilliman then stood up again with half his wounds, and proceeded to skull-gently caress Cawl who was left with half his screening Onagers dead.

Like, it wasn't even a chance in that situation.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Robooty is kinda nuts right now.

In an addendum to the story where he got back up and slaughtered half my army we later decided to see what would happen if he fought a knight.

Each got a round of shooting, each takes 4 damage.

Knight was given the charge, proceeds to land with a single 1 damage kick. Takes 15 wounds plus 5 mortal in return, killing it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

seems legit

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

hams: "Marine infantry are kinda mediocre to bad in a lot of cases"

*chapter tactics*

hams: "No that's too good"

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Well, at least the Aggressors aren't going to be centurion-priced like my friend was expecting.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

spend 2CP to include a unit from Index Imperium 1 or Index Imperium 2 and replace the faction keywords with Chaos and Alpha Legion

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The Howling Griffons bigmars earlier in the thread are from the same place iirc.

I've got some Imperial Kings Fist icons coming in a few weeks and I'll see how they work out.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

double stormraven lists are evil.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Huh. Just realized that the generic stratagems in the marine codex look like they can be used by all loyalist marines.

I'm guessing this is going to be a thing in the future where there's going to be some minor overlap?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

This isn't the first time they've gotten rid of las/plas. They did the same thing in 4th edition. It was back in the next book and twin-linked assault cannons were added to the list of options.

Some stuff never came back.

RIP autocannon scouts.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

basically unless you're using special characters go do whatever. My Salamanders have been used as raven guard, charcharadons, iron hands, etc.

Played some of the advanced missions lately.

The Bunker Assault mission doesn't seem too great.

The defender is saddled with taking a bunch of fortifications, plus they're supposed to be the weaker side. Attackers, on the other hand, get to ignore the heavy weapon movement penalty against structures, and are guaranteed first turn.

Said fortifications are way too easy to kill. By the end of my second turn I basically won with 9 points because I killed one of the bunkers and the central fortress (and most of the occupants- the collapse rules are brutal). And these are T10 with 15 and 30 wounds, respectively.

And, like, I didn't particularly purpose-build my list towards taking out big targets, is the thing. The Fire Raptor, which is not a unit I'd have pegged as a tank killer, basically sandpapered one of the bunkers to death with just its forward-facing weapons (the damage 3 missiles are good). The fortress was basically taken down by footslogging tactical squad lascannons and a really lucky pair of combi-melta shots. Near everyone, including 3 characters, died because of the collapse rule. We kinda just agreed to end it half way through the second turn.

We also tried out Death from the Skies.

Kinda ran into some oddities right away. Unless I'm missing something, RAW the person who has the first turn in the dogfight phase is at a distinct disadvantage because any return fire in the dogfight phase will be from models that have not moved yet and thus won't have a -1 penalty to their heavy weapons.

Also, relatedly, working out your modified to-hit turned into a bit of a chore, but that might've just been me being tired. You start at 3, but -1 for moving, -1 for hard to hit, +1 for interceptor, +1 for head-on-pass, +1 for being an icarus stormcannon, etc.

On the plus side having firing arcs cut down on a lot of the flier bullshit like maneuvering as such where you could snipe characters etc.

Additionally: Salamander rerolls good. Raven Guard to hit penalty good. Chapter Tactics, good. We're probably not going to use them against non-SM armies for the time being just in the interest of fairness. We'll probably let our BA and Wolf players use the warlord traits and stratagems, though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I guess my assumption that the generic SM stratagems were usable by all chapters panned out.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Shadin posted:

I had partial success with Super Clean, but be careful when scrubbing because it won't get it all and some of it is bonded to the plastic, so if you're too aggressive you can really gently caress the model up. Just go over it with a toothbrush until it's Good Enough (tm) to re-prime lightly for a painting surface.

super clean's worked fine for me.

You might want to leave it in for longer if its really bad, though.

edit: Also finally got my Pop Goes The Monkey shoulder insignia in. Shapeways is kinda pricey but these things fit on the pads perfectly and look great.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Kinda like that the hellblaster kit comes with a bunch of bionic limbs because plasma.