Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Some BA characters:

I really need a proper photo taking set-up.

Astorath's axe broke and gently caress pinning that tiny join, so he gets a sword instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Played my first game of 8th yesterday. Crimson Fists vs. Orks, 2k.

I took the list I posted upthread:

Pedro
Librarian
Tempestor Prime
2x rifle dreads
Termies with assault cannon
Eversor
2x 10 tacs, combi-melta, flamer, lascannon, twin asscan Razorback
2x scions, 2 plas
2x MM/HF land speeders
Hellblasters

He had:

Mega armour warboss
KFF mek on bike
5 burnas
12 lootas in trukk
12 tankbustas in trukk
2x 30 shootas
12 sluggas
17 stormboyz
3x kannons

We set up in corners, playing The Scouring. Predictably the objective in midfield was the Superior one and the one in my DZ was the Inferior. I kept the assassin and the tempestus stuff in reserves, and combat squadded the lascannons out of the tac squads. He shoved the warboss, burnas and the 12 sluggas into the battlewagon, which meant he got first turn by miles. Final set up like below:

The Crimson Fists set up defensively against the Ork horde.

His turn 1 was very aggressive - the Stormboyz jumped straight at the Terminators, the wagon charged upfield, and the shoota mobs piled forwards. Shooting killed one rifle Dread (who exploded, doing 3 mortal wounds to the other dread, 1 to a Hellblaster and 2 to a Razorback!), a Hellblaster and a Terminator before the Stormboyz charged. Heroic Intervention brought the Librarian in too. The Orks killed a couple of Terminators, I struck back and killed a few boyz, everyone passed Morale.

Hellblasters being proxied by meltas.

I threw the Speeders forwards and dropped the assassin by the Stormboyz combat. The plasma tempestus came down on the flank of the battlewagon. The Librarian gave himself Veil of Time and the Terminators Might of the Ancients before a furious shooting phase blew up the battlewagon, the tankbusta trukk, 5 of the tankbustas, and a couple of Stormboyz with the Eversor pistol. The assassin charged as did the Hellblasters, wiping out the Stormboyz for no losses in return. The Eversor consolidated away from everyone else to hide by the stone tablet in midfield, and the Hellblasters moved up to block the Librarian. I also charged the tankbustas with the Land Speeder to tie them up (i.e. force them to fall back next turn and not shoot anything).

At the end of the first battle round I was facing down this lot:

After some shooting which didn't do much except wipe out some scions, the Orks quickly moved to charge:

The Warboss went for the Eversor, the Burnas piled into the Terminators, the small mob of Boyz went for the Hellblasters and Librarian, and the big mob went in the nearest Land Speeder and the other side of the Hellblasters. I got very lucky in this phase - the Eversor survived on two wounds and the Librarian with one, only a couple of Hellblasters died and no Terminators. Striking back I killed off all but the Nob in the Slugga boyz, one Burna, and the Eversor took a wound off the boss.

Fall back came in handy for turn 2. The Eversor fell back as did the Hellblasters and the Speeder stuck in with the sluggas. The Librarian cast Smite and killed the Nob left in combat with him, then shot a Burna with his pistol, before combined weight of fire annihilated the Orks left in my front lines:

We played out his 3, then since we'd been playing a while we had to cut short (such is life for olds). My shooting was on course to kill off the kannons, the loota truck and the shootas near my DZ, leaving him with one shoota mob stranded in a corner and the lootas. I had definite control of 3 objectives including the superior, and he had no real way to contest anything else. A win for the Crimson Fists against the old foe!

So how's 8th? The actual playing of the game was fast and simple. It took us some time because neither of us had played for a long while (nearly 4 years in my case), plus looking stuff up trying to remember what any of the abilities did any more. Also I cut a finger right as we started, giving sacrifice to Khorne because it would not stop bleeding. We probably went 3 1/2 hours, but that included faffing about trying to remember where in the rulebook anything was, how deployment worked etc. I can easily see playing out 2k in 2 1/2 hours, especially since the latter turns didn't have hundreds of Orks to move.

Pedro did sterling work standing around providing re-rolls, but I'm concerned that against an army with snipers he would have been dead early doors, plus keeping stuff within 6" of him limited my manoeuvrability quite a lot. Against someone who forced me to come to them I think I might have struggled. Alternatively, someone who worked harder to overwhelm me in combat might have been able to give me some harder choices - although the stuff that charged me hit hard, it ran straight into the things which were intended to soak it, and then I was able to use falling back and rapid-fire etc. to take mobs off the board one at a time. The big units of Shootas aren't effective enough at shooting things to be especially worrying at range, and they're slow and out of step with the rest of the army so they end up being a lot of points and bodies which are too far away to have much effect (although maybe with a Weirdboy slinging them forwards they would have done more).

Overall a good intro to the new edition, and I'm keen to play again which I couldn't say about 6th at all - so much chaff has been mercifully trimmed down.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 18, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

Rules query I want to check out. You can't move within 1 inch of an enemy model. The FLY keyword allows you to move across terrain and models as if they were not there. Does this mean that you can fly over enemy models? What about when you charge?

You can move over them freely as long as your move doesn't finish within 1" of an enemy base. Same for charging.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'm glad that 8th makes Proper Chaos an easy thing to have again.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Solemn Sloth posted:

I feel like I must be completely blind to it, but can someone tell me what page the rule is on that says you can't have detachments from different factions in the same army?

It's in the Battle-forged Armies bit I think, all it says is that stuff has to share at least one Faction keyword.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

DiHK posted:

I get it. I've only been following the 40k threads for a month or 2 and at first I wondered why everyone gave you a harder time than the normal goony levels of ridicule.

You're a munchkin. You're not a bad munchkin but it's definitely your nature. Storm Raven vs Land Raider is an excellent discussion, but you've framed it entirely in terms of table advantage. I have a Storm Raven and will get a crusader at some point, but for me they serve 2 distinct purposes and the only reason it's an either-or situation is because of cost.

There's nothing wrong with being a munchkin, but it's the antithesis of the reasons I game. And since I'm a goon I had to call you out.

E: top of page content.

Wow this is stupid

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

Munchkin talk in tyool 2017

What a time to be alive

loving WAACer cheese monkeys considering whether Thing A works better than Thing B

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah I discounted Hydras initially but the +1 to hit against anything with FLY is way more interesting now that that's how jump troops and such get around the place.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ijyt posted:

gently caress this and gently caress removal of JSJ.

F'uck T'au, imo

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

May I suggest Crimson Fists as the obvious best Chapter (Blood Angels in close second place)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

SRM posted:

Don't purge me or my son ever again

The best chapters are either wearing blue or are Imperial Fist successor chapters, and Crimson Fists fit both criteria.

Do you still have your Fists? I loved those.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

SRM posted:

Those dirty Imperial Fists look great man. Bet they look great on the tabletop.

I was actually just looking through them for nostalgia's sake a minute ago! I have trouble fielding older armies that aren't painted to the standard I paint to now because I'm such a stickler for aesthetics, so they haven't seen the tabletop in a while. It's interesting looking at how the army progressed over 3 years of painting though, and those were the 3 years I evolved the most as a painter.

Yeah I'm the same, looking at the first Tac squad I painted vs. the later stuff is a crazy difference although I'm not at the quality level you are.

Ps post pics, I love seeing other Fists.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Am I being dumb or can Ironclad dreads not take 2x DCCWs? I swear this used to be a thing but maybe I'm remembering wrong. If not then wow they are expensive.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

They never had that option. Seismic Hammer or chainfist only for left arms.

Thanks. Shows how long it is since my Ironclad got on the table.

E: also can't see any kind of cost for Ironclad assault launchers.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 21, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BeigeJacket posted:

How are these new morale rules playing out? Looks like MSU might suffer if they lose a dude, roll badly and *poof* rest of the squad disappears.

I thought morale would be a big deal but it kind of isn't. Big hordes of infantry generally have rules to mitigate or ignore it, and small units rarely lose enough dudes at once to care about it. It only matters in edge cases e.g. if you kill 20 Orks in a turn and they're too far away to mob rule up with other Orks.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

See, I think I'd like Lts better hanging out with the big guns.

Blowing your 3+ lascannon wound roll is brutal. In comparison, with an intercessor squad the Lt is adding maybe 1 extra 1 damage wound against a T4 target.

Pedro re-rolls on lascannons saved my game the other day so I'm definitely in favour of this.

Gonna throw down 6 dreadnoughts next time I play.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

I like it because it's faster and easier to resolve and doesn't create dumb situations where I have a unit fleeing off the board, either because I kept rolling too high or because they were deployed too close to the table edge

Yeah, it's both more brutal at actually getting rid of the fag-end of units which have taken heavy casualties, and also less likely to screw you over when someone drops a couple of guys from an expensive unit on turn 1. I was dubious about it but I'm in favour now.

jadebullet posted:

So did anyone else notice that Slaanesh got shafted in the rulebook? Every other God got a 2 page spread showing the respective army, but Slaanesh just got a small picture of a few Noise Marines to represent the Emperors Children.

Also, there is a badass picture that has a panel for each god, with Abbadon in the center. Each gods panel shows the army being badass, except Slaanesh, which is just a picture of a renegade Knight.

New GW seems to be struggling with what to do with Slaanesh. They're shying away from "here are boob daemonettes with lovingly sculpted nipples" but they don't seem to know how to take it in another direction. There's plenty of space there with stuff like Sigvald in old fantasy and noise marines, but whether they'll do anything with it is a different question.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

I don't understand how the tactical difference is enough to warrant two separate rules. Or worse, the dozen different rules that all say "set up in reserve and deploy >9" away at the end of any movement phase".

The lack of USRs are baffling.

They got the message "too many redundant USRs we have to waste time looking up when they finally come into play" and decided that meant everyone wanted to go back to 3rd edition where there were ten flavours of the same rule written marginally differently.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

I was going to make some argument that was like "but I read tank orders can't go to characters" but looks like Pask has an exception. Neat.

Played last night. Back to the DA razorspam with cherub/lascannon devs, 2 stormtalons, and a chimera full of primais psykers against 60 cron warriors, two c'tan shards, 10 wraiths and 3 heavy destroyers. I boarded him on the top of three. Let me tell you, smite spam is a thing and having 10 characters running around with force staves is terrifying.

I also picked up a Bobby G last night. Razorspam with reroll to wound sounds pretty rough.

I was like "why, are psykers any good now?" and then I realised you actually did mean Primaris and lol smite spam is too funny of an idea.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beerdeer posted:

I haven't had the chance to play yet, but every battle report I've watched just wind up with a huge pile of melee by turn 2 no matter what kind of armies are used. Is this a problem people have run into? Is melee the winner over shooting this round?

Melee is better but there's a lot of options for escaping the melee scrum if you want to now. Combats are a lot more fluid and shooting armies have more option to release key opponents and focus fire them.

Naramyth posted:

Yeah it was something else. I killed 15 warriors and the deceiver turn one. Turn two they melted most of the wraiths. Just forcing an ocean of mortal wounds is pretty good.

ETC is considering banning the HQ detachment because of garbage like this and Tau missile commanders.

Doesn't surprise me. Despite everyone getting excited about them I don't think command points are really a big enough incentive not to use 6 HQs or whatever.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

It wouldn't be a GW release if something innocuous didn't turn out to be insanely bent on day 1.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Sykic posted:

I think I'm finally back into the painting groove.

It's unbelievably liberating to just paint whatever model I want, whatever loadout I want, instead of what I need for my lists, I should have done this years ago instead of looking at kits and thinking "well, it looks awesome but it's dogshit on the table, no sale."

This is loving boss

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

A decent Vice article about 8th: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/warhammer-40000-is-a-triumphant-expression-of-the-new-games-workshop

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Can't understand why it's become acceptable for FW stuff to show up really. It's always been 90% overcosted garbage, 10% overpowered bullshit.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I love Dreadnoughts but these are leaving me kinda cold.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It definitely got me, that's for sure.

Yep. Game looked exciting again rather than frustrating.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

This bears out the rumours about Dark Imperium not being the "real" starter box - it looks like First Strike/Know No Fear are intended as what young kids will be directed towards, being cheaper and less overwhelming in terms of model count, or you can go all-in with Dark Imperium. Good strategy imo, it's a much better set-up.

Also I guess we found out what that single Primaris marine sprue is for.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cutedge posted:

Does anyone know what the hell glue I need to use to get the Inceptors to attach to the flight stands they came with? I've tried super glue and model glue and have had no luck with either. Gorilla glue?

Build them in reverse. Glue the pack join, leave it to dry, then build the rest of the marine onto the already-attached jump pack. Plastic glue worked fine.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Ah, foolish me for assuming two things with the same name are related!

Having been out of this since 4th ed I keep finding blizzard things that amuse me. Like what the hell is an imperial space marine?

Anniversary model they made a while ago which for some reason has rules of its own.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Clawtopsy posted:

I like the new skullface biglys, they will look sick in Crimson Fist colours.

I really dislike their legs.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Progress on my Howling Griffons. I've nearly completed 3 HQ (Captain in Gravis, 2 Lieutenants) and a full squad of Inceptors. There's minor things I have to touch up on each - bullet casings, the backpack on the Captain, metallic trim, stuff like that.

I've also decided on a basing scheme which i wanted to look like it was a dead world, and also be neutral so the models stand out more.

Anyway, here they are.

HQ Group:

Shooty Lt.

Inceptors:

Everything so far:

These are loving fantastic, well done.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was reading the rulebook last night, and noticed something that I haven't seen anyone post yet:
Pg 113, showing the "Many faces of the Aeldari"

The legend entry for this is "REDACTED" but am I wrong in thinking it looks like a space rat (though it's a Slaanesh symbol)? I'm probably just reading too much into it, since I can't think of a link between Eldar and space Skaven...

It's Chaos Eldar.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

RagnarokAngel posted:

Page back but when people say rules feel "gamey" Its trying to label their dislike of simplified rules. And I kinda get that, but its from a sort of...cognitive distortion?
I'm a new ham player, started in 7th, like 6 months ago. As a brand new player the rules were daunting and had a sense of wonder and complexity to them.

Then you swap to 8th, with a very simplified ruleset, and everything just kinda clicks mechanically. Everything works together like cogs in a machine and your brain thinks "this lacks the wonder and depth of the rules before". That sort of magic of the daunting and incomprehensible ruleset is gone and the curtain has been pulled back.

But that isn't really the way to look at it because ultimately simple rules make for a better game in the long run. The mystery and wonder will wear off, good game balance stays.

I think it's simpler than that when you look at 'shady pile-in moves.' The OP has not understood the new combat movement stuff then gotten wrecked because of it, now they're whining. This happens a lot in 40k - it was the same, ironically, with 5th ed multiple assaults.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Bee posted:

That's a really good point. If I can do some quick mathhammer, let me see how battle cannons compare against . . . let's go with the thread favorite, an unstoppable horde of Hormagants.

At 1d6 attacks, the Russ does an average of 3.5 attacks with its Battle Cannon. It has a 4+ BS, so it hits with an average of 1.75 of them. Str 8 doubles and exceeds Toughness 3, so that lets the Russ wound on a 2+. This means we get 1.46 average hits wound. At a 6+ save, we go to 1.21 average hits left unsaved. These deal an average of 1.5 wounds per attack, for an average of ~1.81 wounds delivered. This means the Leman Russ' main cannon can fire into a horde of space bugs and blow up one of them, maybe two if its accuracy is particularly on point. It is also capable of lightly poking at the armor on other vehicles.

Now, lets use the Flamer style rules for battle cannons, ignoring the 4+ BS that chips away so many of the Russ' wounds. 3.5 attacks delivered on average, wounding 5/6ths of the time and being saved against 1/6th of the time. 3.5 * (5/6) * (5/6) gives us a final average of 2.43 hits wounding, which is a far sunnier outlook for what is supposed to be a main battle cannon. Multiply by 1.5 average wounds, and you're dealing about 3.65 wounds on average. Now you're blowing up two Termies per turn, or putting fairly large dents in your average light vehicle.

I really don't know why they didn't do that for all former template weapons, honestly. As is, the roll is just another layer of randomness in a game where you're already flinging tons of dice. It would make cannons, grenades and other explosives far more useful, rather than just being the poor man's plasma or melta.

On the subject of mathshammer I made a little Excel spreadsheet which automates a lot of this stuff.

If I understand Google Drive correctly I think you can download it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B825ABhvq4tVaWNTajI5TEN6S0E

A lot of the formulas are ugly as gently caress but it seems to be functional and cover most bases that I can think of.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 27, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

moths posted:

Not the best photos, but these are the Celestial Lions my friend Lexx painted up for the LGS! The star chart on the flag was a nice touch.

(Retributor gold is apparently a dream to work with.)

There have been some absolutely great looking Marines posted recently, gj goons

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Bee posted:

I doubt Ultras, as the most marine marines, would ever be their own independent codex. We'll probably get the non-angel/wolf marines first for the codex treatment, and 75% of the pages will be blue.

Look at this loving loser who doesn't remember 2nd edition

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I said this like 1 page ago but I'll repeat it because it's even more true now, there are some drat fine models being posted right now. Those Blood Angels are fuckin sick.

Did someone mentioned 32mm base extenders recently? I've decided I cannot be hosed with resin bases on my CFs any more, so all new stuff is going on plastic (which means 32mm) - it'd be good to get everything matched up for size.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cheers lad

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

An hour before a game I've realised I have one less Dreadnought than I thought I did, which is a bit of a handicap in a list with six dreads. Whoops.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Master Twig posted:

I'm usually against the idea of banning things from tournaments. The game is what it is and players should just adapt.

But man... these FW rules are so bad that I think tournaments would benefit greatly from not having them. FW has always had bad rules, but they really had an opportunity to improve. Instead, we got books that were obviously thrown together without testing and feel like they didn't compare them to core rules at all.

FW poo poo should never have been allowed in the first place. It was always the case that people understood FW rules were garbage and it was habitually banned, and it was only towards very late 5th and into 6th that it started becoming normal to let people bring FW to tournaments. It was a bad change and should be walked back asap because for every guy who just wants to play his barely-worth-it-but-fun fancy monster, there's five who started salivating when they found out about something hideously undercosted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I've been Smiting in/into combat and I can't see why you wouldn't be able to.

E: if I have a single Battalion in a battle-forged army do I have 3 or 6 CPs total? I thought it was 3 but re-reading things now I realise I may be an idiot

Living Image fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 30, 2017