Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

New thread, have some Cadians!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

For those of you who play Deathwatch, how do you usually equip your squads?

I'd like to stay pretty fluffy and use what comes on the sprue (lots of power swords, etc) so I don't have to kitbash, while still maintaining some semblance of effectiveness.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Forgeworld are pretty terrible at anything rules-wise, but the old Imperial Armour books had great fluff. I wonder if they'll ever re-release the big campaign books for 8th.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I wonder if there's a version of AoS Skirmish in the works for 8th, because I'd be all over that

Endman
May 18, 2010

Cutedge posted:

Wasn't that Kill Team?

Kill Team but with a cool campaign and a little extra thought put in

But yes I'd settle for just 8th Kill Team

Endman
May 18, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

Shadow War Armageddon is cool and good. :getin: More complicated though, given it's basically a Necromunda reskin with a simpler campaign system.

I actually played in a 6-game narrative event recently. It was centered around a murder mystery and was a lot of fun. I still want to do a write-up of it because it was fairly unique and my Catachans did pretty well. Won 4/6 of my games and only one was a bad loss.

I like Shadow War a lot, but there's no dedicated Deathwatch list; they can only be special operatives for Inquisition or SM Scouts. :smith:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Yeast posted:

Someone earlier made the best argument I've heard yet for power levels. Wysywig.

In a perfect world, if you played power levels, you'd have to play 100% wysywig. Would make pickup games at local stores very straightforward.

WYSIWYG is the only way to play imho

Sorry I mean

MY IMMERSIIOOONNNN :qq:

Endman
May 18, 2010

chutche2 posted:

So a kinda hilarious thing me and my friends came up with

A 185 point vanguard detachment consisting of 1 company commander and 6 platoon commanders, all with power axes and laspistols. You get guys with 3-4 wounds, 3 attacks, and a 5+ invuln save that hit on 3+, and if they're ever in combat during their shooting phase they can all give themselves Fix Bayonets and immediately make 3 attacks each

:laffo:

I want to see that

Endman
May 18, 2010

I had a good time painting this guy today:

Now I just need to wait for the wash on his base to dry and I can drybrush it and glue on some grass. :)

e: here's another angle:

Endman fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 24, 2017

Endman
May 18, 2010

Why not just use the laser since it is powerful enough to pierce armour?

Endman
May 18, 2010

I really want to like the Primaris stuff but I kinda hate all of it and prefer the old marines, power squats and all :(

At least there's still 30k for my squatmarine needs

Endman
May 18, 2010

I bet the containers are correctly organised too

Be still my beating heart!

Endman
May 18, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

"Hey, remember that time Perturabo dug a big ditch and told Dorn he couldn't fill it with the bodies of his own dead?

And Dorn said 'gently caress you, I'll fill it so full I can walk across the bodies, kick down the door to your house and punch that smirk off your face'? And he did, except Perturabo wasn't in there and the house was a bomb?"

Endman
May 18, 2010

I've got some Tartaros Terminators that I haven't assembled yet and I haven't got the slightest idea how to equip them for 8th Edition.

Any ideas? My only restriction is that I'd prefer to keep them a bit shooty, so no double Lightning Claws.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Yeah, for Super Serious wargaming (that is still well fun) there's good systems a plenty with modern rules and exciting interactions where you don't wait an hour to do anything but roll to see how many of your dudes you remove from the table.

40ks is just an excuse to use Space Barbies in the fluff world and still function while tanked af.

I mean, you do you an all, but when you strip the fluff away there's a system that makes monopoly look complicated combined with a horrid mashing of balance and pay-to-win. It's not an un-fun game, but only if you try and ignore the game parts.

This is the Emperor's actual opinion, btw. In case you were wondering.

Agreed.

The only reason I play 40k is for the setting, the fluff and the narrative forging stuff. The game is a bit of a clusterfuck if you remove those parts.

There are far more elegantly designed wargame systems out there if you're just concerned with game mechanics. They don't have nearly the same popularity though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

I dream of a time where someone who sees the minis as pieces on a board to play a competitive game with can play 40K against someone who wants to build a story with the models he thinks look cool and good and they can both have a fun and fulfilling time just by using the rules straight out of the box.

Maybe by 13th edition?

How can you build a story without the cooperation of your opponent though? It's no fun talking about your characters with a brick wall who cares only for numbers.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Corrode posted:

The guys who were running my club a couple of years ago refused point blank to let a guy use his Imperial Fists 'Deathwing' at an upcoming tournament because it was painted wrong. Partly they thought Deathwing was OP because they ran a previous tournament and a guy won with them, because they'd banned all the counters to Deathwing so it rose to the top of the pile.

Also there was the tournament where they insisted all special characters had to use the official model, and also the official model couldn't be used as a generic version. Using Eldrad as your Farseer? Sorry bub, change him or lose him (this actually happened).

They were not very good TOs.

That's ridiculous. I'm lucky if my opponent has painted their stuff at all; I'd never get mad at a ham for different colours or models. :psyduck:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Yeast posted:

Ask StrikingScorpion82

I thought a couple of his battle reports were good. Is he super racist in real life or something?

Endman
May 18, 2010

If I want some shooty marines in my Black Templar army, is it better to use a Tactical Squad or a Crusader Squad? At 10 dudes the options are almost the same.

Endman
May 18, 2010

OhDearGodNo posted:

I wanted this to have its own post.

e: this is the work of my oldest son, who has an... affinity for Ultras.

:five:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh no people posting dissatisfaction in the 40k thread, defend! defend!

If people don't like a rule or mechanic or some poo poo you like, that's okay dude. If it bugs you so much learn to ignore it. Its just text on the internet.

Getting annoyed about someone non-stop complaining about everything Chaos related and stifling any criticism are not the same thing.

Endman
May 18, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread even really likes Ultras or Gulliman. The most glowing praise for the character I have seen here is "he's fine".

Quite a few people ITT have Ultramarines armies.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'm of two minds re: the Mortarian model.

On one hand I think it's generally pretty good, but on the other I think they need to lose a few of the dangly bits, use a darker green for the armour and lose the purple.

When I first saw the purple and the shape of the purple smoke thing above his head I immediately wondered why there was Tzeentch iconography on this nurgle model :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

But everyone should ignore my opinion because I prefer minimarines to bigmars

Endman
May 18, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

No, you are correct and I will fight alongside you. :c00lbert:

:vomarine::respek::vomarine:

Also this is my favourite new (ish) GW model:

Good example of a cool, detailed model that isn't too oversaturated by junk.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, the Ahriman revamp is basically a perfect example of how to revisit old models. It's even got the little fireball or whatever from the original Jes Goodwin concept art.

The new Kharn model is solid too, but I love the new Ahriman. I'm totally going to pick up one eventually even though I don't play Thousand Sons.

Old art best art

Endman
May 18, 2010

gently caress, I'm going to have to start a Thousand Sons army now, aren't I?

Endman
May 18, 2010

The Warp? Warp is only a word...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giiuqTdBSTc

Endman
May 18, 2010

I hope it's cross compatible with Shadow War, but I'm excited regardless.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'm braced for all the new Necromunda stuff to be resin since it's Forgeworld doing it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Games Workshop posted:

Sniper rifles are perfect for taking out high toughness creatures that your lasgun armed troops would struggle with. Up to 3 models in a Special Weapon Support Squad may upgrade their lasgun to a sniper rifle. Certain Doctrines from the Codex also allow infantry models to replace their weapon with a sniper rifle.

:thunk:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Most of the unique Imperial Guard regiments seem like a big missed opportunity. It's understandable why they went with Cadians and Catachans for the plastics, since they're the simplest to create moulds for, I imagine, but they easily the most boring regiments.

I love my Vostroyans, but they're heavy and chip easily due to being metal. I'd love some new plastics, but it ain't gonna happen.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I hope the Admech codex has some new HQs. It's a bit rough having just Cawl and the Dominus

Endman
May 18, 2010

Speaking of Aggressors - flamers or bolters?

Endman
May 18, 2010

I played a game yesterday where a squad of my guardsmen met the business end of a Repulsor. Even being in cover there's nothing they could have done to avoid the hilarious amount of firepower that thing has.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Oh, absolutely. I just thought it was funny how fast that thing punched their tickets on the murder express.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Everyone was already dead before the Commissar could finish off the survivors.

Endman
May 18, 2010

My Commissar charged at it, heroically survived all of the overwatch shots (at least eleventy billion) and then rolled three for his charge and stayed where he was. :shepicide:

Endman
May 18, 2010

It's part of a conspiracy to make everyone play Ultramarines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'm really pumped for Cadian rules, but I get the feeling they'll be saving them for last.

I'm not sure what they might be, to be honest. Something to do with morale so they don't need Commissars?

Better Conscripts as Whiteshields?

No rules because the whole loving planet exploded?