Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Can I add a quick suggestion to do a pass on the OP and make sure every army has a mention on how they tend to play? Some do, some don't, but when I first looked at the ham thread I wanted to know which armies did what between shooty/slashy/magic and if they tend to be horde, elite, or medium model count.

OP is incredible and I appreciate the work, I just think that might help new folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've heard some edge case stories of assholes that make it seem like a good idea to clarify that rule, as laughable as it may be.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is there a painting guide for the Dark Imperium Death Guard? I'm grabbing my box later today and want to get paints at the same time.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I guess Death Guard Green is new so I couldn't find an actual conversation a anywhere but I grabbed Vallejo Air Cement Grey which looks incredibly similar.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This is a problematic road you're going down.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

GW Store birthday exclusive. Actually doesn't look half bad.

How does this work?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

It's only available (Outside of eBay scalpers) at store opening anniversary events. Typically one per customer.

gently caress was gonna comment a store was opening near me but it apparently did two weeks ago to zero fanfare. 😤

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

chutche2 posted:

I thought I read something about them loving around with this for 10k years and some of these primaris guys have been in tubes suspended for that time? I'm sure they can retcon it that there was a trial run of primaris marines during the post siege of terra cleanup.

Bobby G and Cawl put this plan into motion in the 30k era and I think that's when most of them went into their EZ Bake chambers but Cawl wasn't ready for debut until recently IIRC.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Rando posted:

hey, how does he already have 200 years of service?

There's a Primaris upgrade track for existing Marines. Still doesn't explain the Dreds tough.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

BeigeJacket posted:

How are these new morale rules playing out? Looks like MSU might suffer if they lose a dude, roll badly and *poof* rest of the squad disappears.

MSU is mathematically and practically more resilient to morale checks. You lost most of a small unit and then roll poorly on morale it may get wiped out, but you're still likely losing fewer models overall. 9 wounds plus a morale check into a 10 man Space Marine Squad is taking fewer models off the table than it would into 30 man unit. They incentivize blobs with units like Commissars to circumvent morale checks, or things that make Morale easier to pass like Mob Rule.

Also people do realize losing models to Morale is supposed to abstract them breaking and fleeing the battle, right?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Major Spag posted:

Yeah, you could do that. Or, look at this nifty chart on effectiveness:

So I guess you want Power Swords and Thunder Hammers are the sweet spots depending on what you're doing with those units.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zuul the Cat posted:

Is the Primaris Librarian already available?

My store got them today.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Deified Data posted:

Cool, thanks. When I implement Primaris guys into my army I'll probably pretend they're just abnormally big marines.

They're the same base size (mostly) so it shouldn't be a big deal.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I am physically capable of assembling a multi pose model but have no idea how to make it look good, so I like monopose but would be real happy with something in the middle.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Badcast Bad Boy checking in, I just bought the Blood Angel jump pack chaplain for $33. I don't like more than $25 for a single dude but $35 doesn't seem that much of a stretch. The $40 AoS warboss is my break point where it feels gross.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Do we have pricing on the new kits yet?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I doubt this is true and it is likely just an attempt to convince people that its ok to buy kits with old marines in them (I wouldn't)

Why not? Squatmars are cool looking models, are currently supported, and if they lose support in the future you can just play your old Marines as Primaris. Seems like a low risk purchase to me.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I hope there's an Apothecary nearby because this Marine is SIIIIIIICK.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/18/choosing-the-right-chapter-tactic-for-your-successorsgw-homepage-post-4/

Oh hey, the Blood Ravens are getting a mention with what Chapter Tactics suits them the best.

Give me my goddamn decals!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm gonna run my Blood Ravens with Master Artisans because they "requisitioned" their munitions from some Salamanders.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The new Death Guard stuff is so much fun to paint. Just working on plague marines from Dark Imperium right now, and all of them have such good detail.

Yeah I had a ton of fun on a couple of them and some poxwalkers. I'm gonna play the Marines but those are way less fun.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

JoshTheStampede posted:

::looks at his 300/night dragoncon room::

Yes...crazy.

Yeah I saw that post and laughed

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dexefiend posted:

I thought Iron Warriors were the kings of siege defense, and Fists were siege breakers.

Other way around.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Corrode posted:

Personally I enjoy the traitor Primarchs having a collective temper tantrum because they are a bunch of little bitch boys

Waah daddy doesn't love me, better start a galactic civil war
As much of a simmering rage elemental as Perturabo was, his turning traitor was mostly because he massacred a world and worried the Emperor would give him a spanking but Horus didn't give a gently caress. From there on he was basically like "whatever keeps the lights on" and didn't really bear specific hatred to the loyalist Astartes outside Dorn and the Fists.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Guilliman's superpower is not being plot stupid and everyone calls him a Mary Sue for it :3:

RagnarokAngel posted:

Horus's betrayal honestly only works if the Emperor is emotionally attached to his sons. I prefer it that they started out as tools, but slowly he gained respect for them and saw them as people.
It makes the whole horus heresy more tragic when he finally opens up and just gets poo poo on by half his sons.

It's almost as if Master of Mankind is kind of not a good book.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Senjuro posted:

Rest are either dead or MIA.

edit: VVVV or whatever is up with him. In stasis was it?
Stasis in The Rock. Other loyalist primarchs will likely show up after the warm welcome Robute received.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

The thing is though ending the golden throne means no more astronomican which means no more warp travel for the Imperium.

I mean...you don't know that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

chutche2 posted:

There was warp travel before the astronomicon, there's warp travel beyond the astronomicon's reach, and now half the galaxy is cut off from it and there's still warp travel. The astronomicon just makes it safer.

My suggestion was that the Emperor isn't actually still maintaining the Astronomicon because he's loving dead.

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you look at the model his arm has pipes and poo poo i presume meant to be under the skin.

Yeah I dunno

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Corrode posted:

Perfect timing for the Chapter Challenge.

I just found out about this. You nerds should advertise for us nerds that mostly just use bookmarks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

poo poo I might need to go back to the drawing board for my Death Saints in the challenge thread since they're way too similar to yours. This is great design.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not sure if I like how the bone came out. The original concept had it a lot more pale. I might try a heavy white drybrush to see what happens.

I really like Reaper Aged + Polished bone since they are a much more bleached look than GW Ushabti/Screaming. I get frustrated occasionally at how wet/loose they are in comparison to Citadel thiccness but Polished Bone especially gives that clean white bone.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah I'm using Vallejo colors. I think if I used a different base (I had Army Painter Soft Tone) it might have worked better.

Did you do just recess shading or an all over coat?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I was all set on collecting orks, but after painting 20 orks with another 70+ at least to go for my 1500 list I think I might cry.

Considering just getting to 500pts for quick games and then starting a new army. Tempestus let's me use cool tanks without needing to paint another horde right?

The clear solution is to buy more big stuff so you have fewer models to paint 😃

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 27, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
New Mortarion sucks because his head/face sculpt looks near indistinguishable from the other new Plague Boys and he should take have something more distinct going on instead of a generic cowl and gas mask. He should have the high gorget for huffing guys farts instead.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TyrantSabre posted:

I can't tell if it's just because I'm incredibly inept, but has anyone else had trouble building the Primaris Librarian kit? I found it to be so fiddly, and have such small points of contact for the glue, that I had to resort to drastic cutting under the cloak and still wound up with a ghastly gap in his robes.

They had an entire segment on a recent IC podcast about how lovely assembling him is. It's not just you.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
TBF to Carl he had just lost a friend and was clearly messed up over it. Any level of people being crass about it was probably too much to deal with let alone anyone being a
outright antagonistic.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Rhaegar posted:

So I'm seriously considering picking up Warhammer Quest Silver Tower and the Start Collecting Tzeentch set so I can start a Tzeentch army. I see that there's a Tzeentch battletome but what about rules for Tzeentch in Warhammer 40k 8th edition? Will they eventually release a Tzeentch codex?

Tzeench isn't getting their own book in the near future and recently lost a ton of spells going from 7th-8th but AFAIK are still in a very good place. The end of 7th gave them some incredibly good new toys in a revamped Lord of Change and Magnus the Red. The latter has no AoS rules but likely no one would bat an eye if you wanted to call him a Lord of Change or Daemon Prince in AoS.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Stephenls posted:

What if it's Alpha Legion?

Then you would have loyalist models playing as loyalist models.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zuul the Cat posted:

One of the easiest and best Kastelan changes is simply putting the head on backwards.

Wow that is so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zark the Damned posted:

It's more about not supporting a company that thinks its OK to produce those minis.

I hate to be devil's advocate for gently caress models, but what's not okay about it? I think companies actually producing games should be conscious about making their models gross and sexual but if third parties want to fill niche for horned up weirdos I don't see it as "not okay." I get not wanting to support a company you see as distasteful, I'm just curious about the wording.