Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I love seeing those sweet goon armies in the OP- some seriously talented people in here.

Why doesn't the Black Templar section have an army picture? I thought one of you Badcast guys was talking about painting up a Black Templar force for the Gathering Storm stuff a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like some UK people are starting to get their Forgeworld Indexes unlocked. I don't want to post screenshots since we're leaving the realm of leaks and :filez: are a thing, but I will say the Fire Raptor looks incredibly nasty.

The default configuration gives 24 HB shots, the main gun is Heavy 10 S6 AP-2 D2 and it has the option to take 2 twin lascannons instead of the missiles. It also weighs in at a whopping 19 PP, or almost 400 points if the normal ratio holds true.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

The Warhammer TV guys are running a 24 hour livestream marathon of games and interviews over this Saturday. Should be worth a laugh: https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/393602864368031/

Nice, sounds tasty. If it's not a bother, what Marine chapters does the book list as being able to use the Raptor? Same with the Contemptor Mortis, if it's in there please.

I don't have anything but the datasheet yet, but I'll post more stuff if I see it. I'm really hoping to see the Sicaran soon...

E: The Fire Raptor does look really nice though, doesn't it? That's enough firepower to put some serious hurt on just about anything. It can probably do most of an armies anti-horde work by itself.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 17, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The Chaos Warlord titan has 70 base wounds :laffo:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

So someone said that macro weapons do double damage to the TITANIC keyword, so it might not be so bad.

I hope volcano cannons get an errata to do that though. I really want a shadowsword.

Belicosa Volcanno Cannon 180" Macro D6 S30 AP-6 D12. Any wound roll of 6 causes an additional d6 moral wounds.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The Sicaran's main gun is 48" Assault 8 S7 AP-1 D2. No penalty for shooting targets with Fly and ever wound roll of 6 increases the AP to -3. Not all that exciting, to be completely honest.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I have to wonder if these are rules to get us by until an Imperial Armor release. The rules all have the same bland feel as everything else.

The Sicaran doesn't look overpowered or anything but is still quite playable at least. I'll take it for sure.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Kingfish posted:

Any weapon from the ranged weapon list. Which means either a bolt gun, bolt pistol, or plasma pistol.

Are you sure? It seems to me like intended behavior for the sergeants to carry titan weaponry.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GreenMarine posted:

Has anyone here used Mephiston red spray? I'm considering it to accelerate the base work on my loyalist Primaris Thousand Sons. Does it need a primer underneath?

I've used it a pretty fair amount for my Blood Angels. It works pretty well but I'd definitely have some primer on underneath

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I was able to get a game in against a green tide style Ork list today with my Blood Angels.
I came very close to tabling my opponent but ended up losing due to points after turn 5.

Overall the highlight of the game was me deepstriking a unit of Sanguinary Guard and a Captain into his backfield and knocking Ghazghkull down to 2 wounds with plasma pistol fire. The guard made their charge but my captain failed his even with a command point reroll, leading to my the guard failing to put a single wound on that bastard ork and my captain getting surrounded and quickly cut down.

Ghazghkull then proceeded to eat a full 3 rounds of shooting from my Sicaran without going down, due in large part to some little rear end in a top hat behind him who kept restoring wounds. It was depressing beyond words.

Overall hordes do feel pretty manageable. I took a pair of Stormtalons and they put in some serious work killing boys. My terminators were pretty effective at range but became almost completely useless once they got into assault. Is it just me or do power fists seem pretty bad now for their point cost?

I didn't get many good pictures but here's a shot of my deepstrikers shortly before things turned ugly:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

A guy at my store was complaining how powerful Orks and Tyranids are now. What an amazing world we live in now.

Orks are super fun to play against and you actually have ways of dealing with them, unlike the invisible Wraithknight shenanigans of yesteryear. From my game last night they do seem pretty solid though which really rules.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hello there, Dark Mechanicus key word. How interesting to see you.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'd been planning on painting up all my old Tac Marines as Sternguard with their fancy bolters until I actually started looking at the stats compared to Intercessors.

190 points gets you a full squad of Sternguard with no upgrades. The stats are basically the same as an equivalent number of Intercessors except for one better AP and half as many wounds.

200 points gets you 10 Intercessors, taking up two troop slots.

To put it another way, with Intercessors a single PPM gets you double the durability and the use of a more useful force org slot for the loss of 17% damage output. Pretty tough to justify those Sternguard.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else feel like the Gravis Captain's helmet is set way to far back on his body? It looks pretty weird to me. Hopefully I get used to it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Mine are gonna be BA succesors, and on my lieutenants, I'm gonna use the Sanguinary Guard death masks.

I tried this but it looked a bit off to me. I feel like the bigmar heads are very slightly larger than the old marine heads.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Really want to see some examples of this. Especially beakies!

My goal when I got back into the hobby was to do an old school Crimson Fist army. All beakies and spikey shoulder pads. Hoping I can make it work with Primaris. I know badcast was talking about trying Raven Guard Primaris with beakie helmets. Looking forward to seeing if someone can make it work.

Here's the only head swap I went through with. It's okish, but still looks a little off to me. I just really didn't like the rebreather head so still thought this was better.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

All of the forgeworld stuff I've seen seems way more powerful than standard book units with similar power ratings.* It seems like there's a definite disconnect between the team writing the rules for FW and the team writing the core rules.

I can only speak for the Space Marine stuff since it's all I've looked at in depth but what I've seen seems pretty fairly costed. Let's compare my Predator and my Sicaran:

The Sicaran comes in at 155 points base, or 14 PP. It's T7 with 14 wounds and 14" move. In my standard configuration I add 75 for the main gun, 50 for two lascannons and another 10 for the heavy bolter for a total of 290 points.
The Predators comes in at 102 points base for T7 with 11 wounds and 12" move. Add 100 points for 4 lascannons and it's 202 points.

This seems like a pretty fair trade, if not slightly overvaluing the Sicaran's effectiveness given that the main gun is only ap-1.

E: Of course there are a bunch of posts about the Xenos stuff while I was typing this up...

Pendent fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 19, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

The internet being down

!!!!!!!

Who's your ISP? I'm an engineer with most likely another provider and I'm trying to figure out what upstream is busted.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Sky, went down thursday evening and came back around half seven today.

Probably unrelated then. It looks like a pretty decent chunk of the US is having internet trouble right now, for the record. I'll stop the derail.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Naramyth posted:

They can be in the same detachment, just not with the same keyword. Your detachment only needs to share one keyword.

There's a line in the Primaris book that comes with the starter set about all Space Marines that are in the same detachment needing to share a Chapter keyword, fyi.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It's really hard for me to want to depend very much on buffing characters simply due to the fact that it's so easy for them to fail their charge and completely screw you over. I've played two games of 8th so far and both times I've had huge issues when a character misses the charge.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I could see elf heads working. A vampire swap could be good depending on the head as well

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see some numbers on how much the Primaris release has hurt the sales on smallmarines. There's a bunch of stuff that looks pretty good now that I'd never bother to buy before like Whirlwinds and Landraiders but the knowledge that there's likely to be a new, bigger, replacement sometime soon really puts a damper on things.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I would be surprised if bigly tanks were to wholesale replace the main line SM ones but who knows at this point. I guess if you have the money and like the model buy it. A bigger version of it or whatever isn't going to dampen your enjoyment of the current model. Hell I bought one of the last Thunderhawks to roll off the line and was like poo poo, but I like it better than the new version.

Long term I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's going to happen. E: To clarify, I'm sure it won't be actual replacements but something similar that will fill the same role.
The bigger issue for me is that from what I've seen I'm going to like how the new stuff looks a lot more than the old. I know the Repulsor isn't everyone's favorite but I seriously dig the hover-bradley look.

JBP posted:

Yep. I always favour jump assault troops over transport reliant ones because you can rock up very suddenly and a change in the game doesn't leave you out to dry, you just zip off and do/punch something else. There are downsides of course but I have a movement focussed brain in every kind of game I play and I like being able to stunt when it's called for rather than being risk averse and trundling about in a fuckload of metal boxes.

What's going to be interesting in the long term is the fact that jump infantry get the fly keyword, meaning that something like a Hydra is suddenly a notable threat. Very curious to see how the new meta shakes out.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

F'uck T'au, imo

Not empty quoting

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing my first perils of the warp that involves a psyker exploding and dragging all the dudes around him into space hell.

I was a command point re-roll away from losing Mephiston to perils in the middle of a group of Ork boys in my last game. In retrospect I probably should have just let him die.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I know I read a rumor that one of the first Primaris characters released would be a Librarian, for what it's worth.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Really looking forward to the Chaplain one, although I guess the Reiver close combat dudes will all have skull-masks. which would be rad as gently caress, if that turns out to be true.

The Reivers sound like they are extremely my poo poo. I'm really holding out hope for an actual assault unit with Gravis Armor and Jump pack though.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo I missed that. Awesome!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

spacegoat posted:

The few I've played have been like this, too. Also the lack of decent cover rules make things feel like we're just lining up and running at each other. More LoS blocking terrain helps some, but it feels pretty binary.

Disclaimer: I am a Bad.

My own two games have both gone till turn 5 and seemed reasonably close the entire time. I suppose my game this last weekend against orks wasn't that close for points (7-11 or so) but that was more because the mission we were playing allowed my opponenet to score a shitload of points really fast due to his gigantic horde giving him some major board control during the first few turns.

On another note I really want to see some sort of announcement about the next release. The last few months have turned me into some sort of junkie for new 40k content.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I didn't... no one used railsides, I bought them because I liked the model. Similarly, I don't have a riptide or stormsurge.

Railgun Broadsides do legitimately look pretty badass. It is sort of a bummer that the way some people like to play their armies got nerfed, but let's all be honest here- Tau were some serious bullshit in 7th, especially if you played an assault focused army :smith:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

All I'm really hoping for now is to have the rest of the Primaris line release before the Konor campaign kicks off, so I have enough time to build poo poo.

Giving the escalation piece of the Konor campaign I'd say there's a decent chance they're going to release the new Primaris stuff along with each phase.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Someone got a response from them re Maru Skara rite of war in 30k and their incorrect email is basically the first google search response. It causes no end of loving problems...

In the context of 30k being considered to be the GW game for the more "serious" gamer this conversation is amusing me to no end.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It feels a lot like Lieutenants in particular were intended as babysitters for tactical squads.

I like the idea of having a Lieutenant and a Captain sitting in the middle of a blob of Intercessors and Hellblasters. The Hellblasters in particular would be pretty funny when overcharging- rerolling 1s to hit and would would make them incredibly consistent for their damage output.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GreenMarine posted:

The PL system isn't for people who want to squeeze the most out of their list. If you say "now I have to max this unit out to get the most bang per PL" you should be using points. PL is for "lets play some warhammer and drink some beers and have fun and not sweat the list building details too much" type of dudes. And for players who just aren't that good at warhammer, whose play isn't squeezing out the most per turn, or who like to charge their world eaters across the acid slime because that's what they would do in real life...PL seems fine.

The idea of just being able to just run everything WYSIWYG without having to worry about how much a flamer vs a plasma rifle costs is a very appealing one. My lists are already constrained by how my stuff is modeled so PP seems like it could be a good fit for me sometimes.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

I feel like the "PL isn't for them" argument is a tautology because it seems to entirely exist in us trying to say that. The huge decrease in granularity and uptick in free options means that Power Level benefits power gamers who liberally slather on all the most expensive options, but hamper the player who builds more conservatively. We can say PL isn't for powergamers as much as we want, but that isn't going to stop people from gaming the far easier to game system.

The solution to playing with a power gamer is simply to use points though. It's always been a good idea to have some sort of conversation with your opponent before the game to figure out what sort of game you're both looking for and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I personally don't intend to use PP for anything other than friendly games.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LordAba posted:

The worse thing about power level... the very VERY worse thing about power level... is that they made normal points so goddamn awful to figure out to push it.

The problem isn't how they do the points, it's how the indices are organized. If you didn't have to flip around constantly to write a list it wouldn't be nearly as painful. For that matter, just playing a game as Blood Angels with the Space Marine index is terrible because there are like 4 completely separate parts of the book I have to look through depending on which specific model I'm trying to look up.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

It's not an excuse for the bad layout but building lists by hand is way easier if you run off a copy (from your epub or with a copy machine from your book) of the points page, and then have that open while going through the datasheets.

Battlescribe has everything I need now aside from Forgeworld. Doesn't change the fact that the space marine index at least is a horror show.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You roll the damage for each wound separately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Speaking of Guard, 8th has made me finally get around to painting the Hydra I've had for who knows how long.

gently caress your [FLY]ers

Looks great. I especially love the red glowing thing.