Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
So I finally took the plunge and purchased my first big ol' box of plastic cocaine. I am now officially in this thing.

I got the Dark Imperium box set despite having zero interest in either Chaos or Marines on the grounds that I was going to be spending half the cost of the thing on the rulebook anyway and it was a good number of models for the price - and I need the painting practice before I get into armies that I'm really interested in. I'm really interested in Ad Mech - I think their models have this amazing retro-sci fi aesthetic that I can't wait to put together.

I might do the marines from the box in complimentary Ad Mech colours to fit with that. Does anyone have any examples of rad looking techmarines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Cainer posted:

Can't we all just talk about how cool Sydonian Dragoons look? Seriously one of the coolest models in the game and I need a bunch for my Admec.

Jesus, I know. Some AdMech guy somewhere said, "yes, we are going to have a giant robotic chicken piloted by a limbless gimp, surrounded by a cloud of incense, ridden by a man in shining plate armour carrying a cattle prod longer than he is tall, and we are going to use it to cavalry charge the enemy. This is a good idea. This is how warfare in the year 41,000 should be."

And the best part is that thought process nails the entire Adeptus Mechanicus thought process to a T. That model alone is why I'm collecting AdMech.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Oh, are we posting Cawls?

Hey guys! I started painting for the first time ever two months ago - I've done some digital art but never worked with physical brushes or paints before. I absolutely ADORE it and have been having more fun than I've had with art for years. Warhammer owns, 8th ed owns, adeptus mechanicus owns, everything owns.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Maybe he should count them as Iron Hands?

As the brilliant poet said elsewhere on these forums;

Do not be fooled by the stripes upon my mans
though they may look like Iron Warriors
they count as Iron Hands

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Space jerks!

Painting is awesome.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

This is my first army, and what I've been working on over the past four months.

Hobby owns. Miniature painting owns. Everything owns. I've never had as much fun in my life.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

So here's the plan for an Agrippina list I'm going to try out on Sunday:

HQ
2x Domini: Warlord with Necromechanic and Technomatyr
2x Engineseers

TROOPS
2x 5 man Vanguards with 3 plasma guns between them
2x 5 man Vanguards with 3 arc rifles between them
1x 5 man Rangers with 2 arquebuses
1x 6 Kataphron squad with grav cannons + heavy flamers

FA
1x Sidonian Dragoon

HEAVY
2x Shooty Kalestians

SUPERHEAVY
1x Knight Crusader with thermal cannon and gatling gun

2x Batallions; total of 9CP

The idea goes like this:

Stick the Kataphrons as in the enemy's face as possible and put the warlord and Kalestians right behind them. The Kataphrons will roll directly into the enemy's face and hose them down with flamers. In the first shooting phase, Elimination Volley will let me put out 30 BS3+ reroll ones grav rifle shots from the Kataphrons. My defense against charging is 6x cognis flamers and another 30 5+ grav rifle shots that do extra hits on 6's. The idea is just to keep moving the Kataphrons forwards every turn until they're right in everyone's face and daring the other guy to try charging them. In the event that my Kataphrons do get wrecked I just spend 3CP and raise 'em all from the dead and start the march again.

I opted not to bring a Datasmith because I've got 4 repairmans on hand already; almost more repairmans than I have things worth repairing. After a turn advancing into a good spot I throw the switch and leave the Kalestians in maximum bullet mode forever. Everything else in the army wanders around and does its own thing freely.

I think this is a really solid, fluffy list that doesn't involve Cawl. Anything I'm obviously missing? If not I'll mention how it pans out!

CP budget goes:
2 - Elimination volley
1 - Binaric override
3 - A mix between rotate ion shields for the knight, double repair, guaranteed explosion, or anything really situationally useful
3 - Fresh converts for the Kataphrons.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Good list and sound tactics, but without a Datasmith your robutts are gonna be stuck in Aegis Defense Protocol. It’s the default.

Binaric Override lets me permanently change the robutts' for 1CP, and in my experience they usually don't need to move more than once to get a complete sweep of the battlefield. The mandatory engineseers for the HQ tax means the robutts will already have a dedicated repairman, so essentially I'm trading 1cp for 52 points worth of special weapons on my Skitarii.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

My own Sunday game with the Agrippa army went much better. We both understood the math and didn't waste any time chit-chatting and slammed the thing out in 2 hours, and then talked about painting for another hour.

He was Necrons. Monolith, annihilation barge, walker, flyer, destroyers, and 20 or so warriors. I absolutely slammed him into the table despite losing the first turn and letting him set up the terrain and objectives as a consolation for him not having a Codex. He did what so many players have done wrong in games against me: Become irrationally fixated on taking down the Sidonian Dragoon. That thing absorbed like 800 points worth of stuff shooting at it, and it's done similar in the past - and then the Dominus ran up and high-fived it back to nearly full health. It's so durable and so cheap and for only 70 points it's crazy how much hate it draws.

He also focused fire in shooting up my vanguard which was another big mistake. The vanguard are there to catch bullets. He blew every one off the table by the end of turn two, but then the Kataphrons rolled around and opened up with their grav cannons and turns out that those are p good against necron warriors. One turn of shooting wiped all 20 of them. Then the Knight swanned across the table, drop kicked his overlord into the horizon, and then unloaded all its guns into a Monolith point blank and blew it away. I can't believe that thing has no invulnerable save!

I didn't use my forge world stratagem, relic or warlord trait at all on account of him never charging me or spending CP, but if I did this well against an army that did none of the things I feel pretty confident against a more dedicated melee list.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

chutche2 posted:

Yeah after playing admech a few times my target priority is to kill kataphrons, dunecrawlers, and robots first. I'll put my bolter fire into vanguard maybe but all the heavy bolter and assault cannons and all that are fixated on kataphrons. First game against them gravcannon kataphrons poo poo all over me, blasting whole marine squads in cover apart like they weren't there. I haven't actually fought any ironstriders or dragoons yet.

Dragoons are unbelievably fantastic and I want six of them in my army. I want to replace every single Skitarii squad with another Dragoon.

For 68 points you get a 10' move, T6 4+ save that's likely 3+ from Shroudpsalm with a -1 hit wrapping 6 wounds. That alone is vastly better than a squad of Vanguard with special weapons at the same price point, but the Dragoons also get a S8 AP-1 2d melee attack that, for the cost of 1CP on Conqueror Protocol hits 3 times on a 4+. A full lance of them can with average rolls murder a Knight in a single charge. Things get even better with Omniscient Mask/Ryza doctrine.

The only catch is they cost more in dollars than in points. But the upside is that they are the coolest models GW has ever produced, have the best fluff of any single unit, and are the reason I started collecting AdMech in the first place.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 15, 2017

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Jesus I only just realized AM now means IG and not AdMech. I guess I just glazed over that.

This has been driving me nuts too, especially after a dude started talking about how OP 'AM' were in real life and I'm standing there with my Admech army and wondering if he's sassing me.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

I think that all the 8th ed rule changes have been cool and good! I think that the 8th ed rules in general are cool and good.

The change to conscripts is totally merited and means that they have a much more clearly defined role: Meatshields and objective campers, which can be situationally greatly improved with leader buffs.

After any nerf, every community ever falls over themselves to never use the nerfed unit again. It's usually a mistake; a lot of the time the unit just clicks into a different role. If you need to spread out a couple of conscript conga lines to deny deep strikes, catch charges, and cover objectives in bodies they're still eminently serviceable for their price. You don't even need to give them commissar backup to have them fulfill those roles! A squad of 20 is like 60 points and can survive two turns of ten non-rapid fire marine shooting easily which is an entirely valid thing to spend 60 points on.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

I just assembled the new Start Collecting Eldar box and wow! These models are amazing!

The wraithblades with swords are awesome. After loving up and mixing up all the legs/waists when it turns out they're meant to stay together, I said gently caress it and did what I could with the chaos. The result was five unique and awesome stances that makes the entire squad look like elite martial artists in the middle of a sword kata. The Wraithlord is also a phenomenal kit, there are so many cool ways to build the thing. Since I'm going to go for a long-overgrown Eldar statues look for my guys, I did the Wraithlord in the most passive arms-by-sides stance I could and the thing looks gorgeous. It's just got a serenity to it which seems all the more powerful knowing I could have assembled it in another kung fu pose.

Just from the vibe of how all those models looked assembled I instantly came up with the lore for the army; they're an Eldar martial arts temple hidden in a rainforest. The Wraithblades are the martial artists proper who are sincerely happy to teach anyone who comes near them their secret combat techniques (via practical demonstration), the Wraithguard with D-Scythes are the janitorial staff for the temple who wander around with their cosmic death-dealing megabrooms atomizing dust/animals/trespassers etc.

For sure I'm going to pick up another two boxes; three start collecting boxes, another unit of Wraithguard, and two wave serpents gets me a sick 2000 point army.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Wraithknights also got 100 points cheaper (!!), 402 down from 502, ghostaxes on Wraithblades are now only 16 ppm down from 23. They both look like valid options now.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

I have finished my AdMech just in time for Armies on Parade.

The Fluffstory for those of you who are into that kind of thing:

Back during the Horus Heresy, Archmagos Brackmann of Forgeworld Draupnir was the Mechanicum envoy to the War Hounds, and later as they became World Eaters. "Fortunately", the Forgeworld suffered extreme "communications difficulties" when every Astropath mysteriously came down with an abrupt case of radiation poisoning and Draupnir spent most of the Heresy sitting at home shooting any envoys, scouts or warfleets out of the sky until the whole thing blew over. Once the Archmagos had confirmed that the Imperial side had won, she swiftly re-established communications and paid the Imperium their complete back-tithe which did a lot to stifle any forthcoming questions.

Forgeworld Draupnir is a ringworld. A proper one - a vast mechanical orbital band around a sun. It's one of the true relics of the Dark Age of Technology and its output is comparable to an entire subsector. Accordingly, the Imperium has been taxing the poo poo out of it - Draupnir has been churning out starships relentlessly and is the backbone of the entire sector's Imperial Navy. However, to meet this tithe while also defending against constant invasions from everyone who rightly identifies the worth of Draupnir, huge sections of the ringworld's superstructure have been cannibalized to fuel the dockyards. By the 41st millennium fully 25% of the Ringword's mass has been harvested, leaving Draupnir in the shape of a gigantic C and on the brink of critical systems failure. The Mechanicum lacks the knowledge to repair the ringworld and so Draupnir is on the brink.

The Archmagos, in response, has declared a crusade: The armies of Forgeworld Draupnir are to go forth into the galaxy, find every starship the Forgeworld has ever made, reclaim it - by force if necessary - and then bring it back to Draupnir for re-integration with the homeworld. It's the galaxy's largest and most violent product recall and no one is safe.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 29, 2017

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Oh, and here's my test Wraithguard model.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

I have a super dumb idea for a gimmick Eldar list.

Yncarne, Eldrad, Yvraine, Visarch, Seer Council x7, Spiritseer, all crammed into a Wave Serpent Party Bus.

10x Wraithblades in webway strike.

1x Wraithknight with sword and board.

Only two models on the table when the game starts, the WS and WK.

Wave Serpent starts the map behind the grossest LOS blocking cover as possible. It then flies directly behind the second grossest piece of cover and waits for turn two to deploy everything.

If T1 is won, Eldrad Fortunes the WK, if not, good luck son.

T2. Everyone jumps out of the party bus. Wraithguard step out of the webway. Spiritseer casts Quicken to move them 4' from the enemy, basically guaranteeing their charge. Seer Council stratagem for guaranteeing success on warlock/eldrad powers. The Warlocks cast Smite three times, auto-D6'ing every time. Almost certainly they kill something, Soulbursting for either an instant Singing Spear toss or a move into a critical charging position. Wraithknight jogs up and gets its charge off. Eldrad buffs as appropriate. Wraithblades charge. Seer council charges. Yncarne spawns. Insane alpha strike damage.

Guesstimate for alpha damage: 3d6 mortal wounds from warlocks, maybe another 1-3d6 from Yvraine/Eldrad. Wraithblades charge for 40x WS3 S6 AP-3 hits, and then Soulburst into someone/everyone else's faces. 7x singing spears for maybe 4d3 more damage. Whatever threshing the Wraithknight gets done.

Cross fingers that ridiculous alpha strike was sufficient to cripple enemy army.

Now that enormously squishy infantry/character core is revealed, Soulburst off their inevitable retaliation murder to make the cleanup really messy. After eating a full turn of anti-vehicle shooting the Wraithknight probably isn't looking very good at this point, and the Warlocks aren't going to be even half as scary on turn three, so it's all going to come down to the wraithblades and Yncarne for mop-up.

It's the sort of army that I think captures the real essence of 'glass cannon'. It's all about dropping a psychic nuke in the centre of the enemy formation and really, really hoping that's sufficient. I think it'll be hilarious to see it in play, and it only needs models I'll collect on my way to a proper army, and that's reason enough to do the drat thing.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Eldar progress:

Had a game against my Guard buddy today. Won the first turn, had such a good round of shooting that I'd half blown him off the table and he conceded by the end of my turn. Rerolled the game giving him initiative instead and it was a bit closer but I still pretty much tabled him by turn three.

AdMech are just really solid; fantastic guns, great range and army-wide Invulns more than make up for their lack of gimmicky mobility strategies or whatever. All my stuff just does exactly what I need it to - rangers are cheap, horrifyingly resilient to small arms fire, and can clip away at the other guy across the entire table. Onagers will tear anything without an invuln in half. Kalestians are scientifically engineered to murder theoretically infinite amounts of Guard - 18 shots per bot wounding on 2s and with -2AP eliminating guard armour saves a single one can blow an entire infantry squad off the board in a single round. Essentially it's the perfect anti-armour and the perfect anti-infantry and I've yet to encounter anything that can out-shoot me.

On the topic of robots, I've actually stopped bringing a datapriest to games altogether, covering the gap with Binaric Override. I don't miss it - it's actually surprisingly rare that I'll have an injured model in my artillery core, and if I do it'll only be one meaning the extra repair is unnecessary. Conversely, the ability to switch to Kill Everyone mode in my first shooting phase more than makes up for the single command point I'm spending on it.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Genghis Cohen posted:

While I've not seen such a quick progression to concession/tabling,

Two Onagers and some Kalestians with Wrath of Mars blew up a baneblade, my Knight dumpstered a Russ with its thermal cannon, and his other Russ got charged by a Dragoon (god bless that derpy chicken, it has never let me down), and I wiped one of his two heavy weapons squads with a Kalestian along with some sickening infantry casualties. That was the vast majority of his anti-tank right there and my list was mostly heavy stuff so I do not blame him for not wanting to play it out.

quote:

I play imperial guard and have felt outshot against admech, if they focus on the heavy support units like kastelans and Dunecrawlers. This was pre guard codex, mind you, so maybe I'd be less at a disadvantage now, but unless you really really tune up the guard with artillery, I think the invulnerable saves and shroudpsalm on the admech heavies will win out. They've also got access to rerolls more easily. I don't think IG are at a disadvantage, more units makes it easier to win on objectives, especially in maelstrom games. But pure shooting I really rate admech.

The invulns across the board for AdMech are fantastic. Kalestians are love because if you lose the first turn they're 1+/4++ sons of bitches - and since the Onagers can move and fire with no penalty I stack 'em up behind LOS blocking terrain so they can't be scratched by my enemy's opening volley. I'm honestly not sure what I'd do if I was a Guard player facing my army - I think putting some Bullgryns in a Valk and trying to tie up the robbits in melee might be my best bet. If any serious CQC gets into the artillery core it's lights out.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Booyah- posted:

What weapons is your dragoon kitted with? I'm building one now and can't decide what to put on it.

Taser lance and nothing but a taser lance. It makes the thing stupid cheap at 68 points, its 10' move speed can get it where it needs to go, and even if it doesn't hit combat people are so irrationally fixated on the terrifying threat your dumb 68 point chicken walker presents that they will fire all their AT at it despite its -1 to hit smoke cloud. With T6, 6 wounds a 3+/6++ with Shroudpsalm that little fucker will absorb hundreds of points of shooting that is now not going into your Actually Important artillery line.

I almost feel like giving it a phosphora would reduce its effectiveness, because if the other guy stops to think about the fact that it's only plinking away with one shot per turn it might not be such a terrifying threat after all. You want the Dragoon mysterious and scary and bullet magnetish - don't let this thing get into close combat, woooooOooOo!

Plus if you can stack like, 3-6 of them in a unit and back them up with Conqueror Protocol the extra hits on the lance will proc on a 4+. A full squad of 6 Dragoons with Conquerer can statistically kill a Knight in a single charge. They're easily the best unit in the codex IMO.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Booyah- posted:

im glad to hear that! im getting some ad mech models and the dragoon with lance only is by far my favorite variant of that kit

They're the coolest model with the coolest fluff GW has ever done. It's peak 40K - we've built a perpetual motion machine and the only rational use for it is to use it as the power supply for a set of robot stilts piloted by a limbless gimp with a man in shining plate armour standing on the back charging tanks with his 12 foot long cattle prod. Yes. This is what warfare should be.

And you get to use Knights of Cydonia as your theme song.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 6, 2017

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

And here's the Yncarne! I thought it was a terrible model when I saw it but, as has happened a few times with GW minis, turns out I just hated the default colour scheme.

Also wraithheads

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Mef989 posted:

How mandatory are Ynnari for Eldar lists (Craftword, DE, and Harlequins)? I played both Dark Eldar and Craftworld in 7th, and own some Harlequins, but stopped playing before the Ynnari release. I'm almost done updating my wraith list for 8th as pure Craftworld, and then have about 2k worth of Dark Eldar to work on.

Am I going to be shooting myself in the foot if I run either Dark Eldar or Craftworld lists without Ynnari? Does it change anything (especially for the DE) if I include harlequins too?

I think the tradeoff is surprisingly difficult, which to me says that balance is in a good place. Wraithguard especially:

Illayden:
+ Artifact doubles attacks for 1 fight phase per battle, within 6
+ A 1CP stratagem for a 12' reroll all bubble around a Spiritseer
+ A real warlord trait/free relic
+ You have to take at least one detachment anyway to get Craftworld stratagems
+ You want all your vehicles Illayden

Ynnari:
+ Soulburst is great on up-close and personal units like wraithguard
+ Wraithguard don't even lose Battle Focus because they don't have it.

My plan for my wraith-themed list is taking two detachments, a vanguard one of 10x Wraithguard with d-scythes, 5x Wraithblades in a Wave Serpent, and something else to fill out a third elite slot (more wraithguard, maybe a Solitaire), and an Ilayden Spearhead one with 3x Wraithlords and a Spiritseer with the relic. 6' is not much and 'guard with D-Scythes don't benefit from a reroll aura so this division gets me the best of both worlds.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Mef989 posted:

So could I do:

Ynnari Vanguard:
Yrvaine (Warlord)
2x 5 Wraithguard w/ D-scythes
1x 5 Wraithblades w/ Swords

Iyanden Battalion
Spiritseer
Farseer
3x 5 Ranger
3x Wave Serpents
3x Wraithlords

And literally get all the good Iyanden rules, eldar strategems and Strentgh from Death on my wraithguard/blades, with the downsides being my warlord can't take an Iyanden trait and I don't get a remnant?

Exactly yes. You won't get the psytronome for free - you get a free Relic of your Warlord's faction - but you can spend 1CP to get it.

Note that the Spiritseer's reroll-1 bubble affects all Spirit Host units but the 1Cp Iyanden stratagem that gives 12' and reroll all hit rolls is Iyanden Spirit Host only. I think that's pretty fine actually - the Psytronome's double attacks bubble is 6' and triggers at the start of the fight phase, which means that it's pretty doable to get your 3 Wraithlords buffed by it and increasingly impractical to get multiple units of Wraithguard affected.

Your proposed list is pretty similar to my plan, with one exception:
I'm planning to take a 10x unit of Wraithguard with D-Scythes and Webway Strike them in (that works on Asurani units, not <Craftworld> units so you can do it to Ynnari WG). They'll come down 9' away, which is out of range for the D-Scythes, but then I immediately use my Spiritseer to cast Quicken on them. That lets them move up another 5 and suddenly everything is in range. Use a CP to guarantee Quicken goes off, in extremis use Word of the Phoenix to get that critical move.

10x D-Scythes are pretty much guaranteed to kill any unit in the game, which gives you shockingly good odds of getting a Soulburst off. Two turn-1 D-Scythe volleys followed by an entirely non-shabby Wraithguard charge can gut the core of an enemy army if they didn't very carefully deploy against it.

You can then spare the 250+ points on those two extra Wave Serpents on a squad of Bright Lance War Walkers or the Yncarne or whatever.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 16, 2017

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah I just physically write any points updates in my books - I also go through every datasheet and write unit points values down. It helps for reference and for getting a real feel for how everything compares to each other.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Mef989 posted:

How much distinction does most of mankind make again between dark eldar and craftworlders? I seem to remember some fluff about "eldar pirates" just being a term for any random eldar who happened to attack humans. I'm guessing most upper echelon have an idea though?

Part of the reason the Imperium hates the Eldar so much is that there's no real way to differentiate between the Eldar factions. They all employ weird scary holofield technology which makes their spaceships look like nothing, or exploding rainbows, or whatever, and tactically they're all similar, and there are repeated instances of the various Eldar factions allying for whatever reason, and Eldar can switch allegiances back and forth freely (Craftworld guys become Corsairs and then hang out in Commoragh before getting bored and going back to the Craftworld in a way that's unthinkable to a human).

So from the average Imperial Commander's perspective how the gently caress could you tell the difference between the Eldar who want to talk to you reasonably about the incoming Waaaargh, and the Eldar who toxi-bombed your hometown for shits and giggles, especially when faction two thinks it's hilarious to pretend to be faction one. I think that this poo poo goes a long way to the reputation of the perfidious Eldar as lying liars who must be shot on sight.

(The other half of that reputation is that the Eldar are actually lying liars who should be shot on sight)

So you're an Imperial commander and you get a report about a fast-moving Eldar force containing grav tanks and shruiken weaponry, mixed up with weird warriors in elaborate costumes, they're shielded by holograms and invisibility, also they're teleporting everywhere and have excellent air support and seem to know all of your moves before you make them - and also fifty percent of your troops are now insane. From that information tell me if that's Craftworld, Comorragh, Harlequins, Corsairs, Exodites, or a combination thereof.

Inquisitors and really senior dudes might understand that the Eldar Empire has various factions but even then how the gently caress could they tell which is which half the time.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Hey Badcast Guys, your bad cast is actually good and it kept me painting for three hours over my painting schedule because I was sufficiently into what you were saying and I only escaped when my laptop ran out of batteries. Thanks for being cool dudes!

And on that note, I have finished my converted Exodite Rangers! As soon as the bases dry I'll have some pictures up, these guys look great.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

So here are my space elfs. Sorry about the cell phone camera footage.

The Farseer variations are made using the spare Yncarne bits and a Sister of Silence head. I got three of 'em from the Start Collecting boxes I'm using as the core of my force and I didn't want three dudes looking exactly the same. I think they turned out really well - even the one I unbelievably hosed up and barely managed to salvage after hours of additional work!

And here are the Exodite Rangers! Someone on these forums mentioned converting some Shadow Warriors from Fantasy to use as Rangers and it works amazingly. I used spare AdMech galvanic rifles because that's what I had but I think they look really sweet.

A preview picture of my upcoming Wraithknight. I swore like a sailor while assembling this bastard, particularly at a point when I realized I'd completely hosed up the torso joining and basically needed to pull the entire thing apart and start over. But in the end I wrestled her into the pose I wanted and I'm really looking forwards to spending my Christmas break just slogging away at this monster.

Bonus image of my Emperor's Children test model. What's really cool about this model is that from a tabletop distance it looks really smooth and clean, pure white and gold. It's only when you hold it up to your eyes you realize what a loving mess it is and the effect is amazing and perfect for what I want for the EC. Sadly that's pretty much where that army's going to stay until/unless they release new Noise Marines.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

goose willis posted:

Do craftworld and dark versions of the Eldar associate or trade or communicate in any meaningful way or do they just avoid and/or kill each other on sight

Like can a dark Eldar decide to one day join a craftworld or are they just gonna die out of the webway

They can! Yvraine's whole thing is that she was a Craftworlder who got bored and wandered across to Commoragh to fight in a Wytch arena for a while and that's a pretty normal thing that happens with Eldar. Eldar, Craftworld and Commoragh, also ally all the time - in the codex it mentions Iyanden gets saved when a shitload of Dark Eldar zoom out of the webway to rescue the craftworld and when asked why they say "It's because we think it's hilarious to watch your dying society".

In fact, Eldar society actually encourages these changes. The whole thing with the Paths is that Eldar are super obsessive and if they do one thing for too long then they'll Exarch out and that's basically regarded as being a broken person. So they encourage Eldar to shift Paths every so often, and it's a pretty narrow step from the Path of the Outcast to being a Corsair and a pretty natural step from being a Corsair to refulling in Commoragh to hanging out there full time. And the same happens in reverse; Prince Yriel wandered off and became a Corsair and was presumably getting resupply at least in part from Dark Eldar shipyards but he rocks back up to his craftworld and now he's in charge of the whole fuckin thing.

I'm actually coming around to the thought that the Eldar have developed a really elaborate and ritualized relationship with the Chaos Gods. Aspect Warriors are Khorne cultists. Except instead of just going all blood blood blood they've managed to refine Khorne into Khaine and worked out a bunch of hyper specific ways to worship Khorne, and all the elaborate rules help safeguard you from losing your mind to it. An Aspect Exarch's mind is probably not that different from a Khorne Beserker's mind when you get down to it; psychopathically dedicated to raw destruction and fury.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Now the jet lag has worn off - do any goons ham in Brisbane, Australia? We’ve moved back here after 17 years in the UK.

I'm down in Canberra, so give me a wave if you're ever down this way!

Same goes to any other Canberra goons there may or may not be around here.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

goose willis posted:

The vast majority of named marine characters are basically the exact same model but with slightly different stats and a gimmick rule or two

Like all of this would be better if it was condensed into a sort of "build your own character" type of thing where you can pick out some rare artifacts (which you can already kind of do) and some unique rules for your warlord instead of having twenty pages of slight variations on a basic archetype

But... but that's exactly what you can do with 8th. Warlord traits and relics. Having a named character forces you into a specific trait that might not even be a good one. If you look at how most characters are designed they're pretty much an ordinary commander with a special relic and a weird rule, which is what you get with a generic warlord.

Eldrad is a great case in point for this. He's 50 more points, gets 1 additional power, a weird +boost to psy casting, and a relic that gives him +1T and +1 save. He's good, but locked into the Ulthwe warlord trait, and for the same points you can get a farseer w/singing staff and a relic, and spiritseer and that's a really comparable or even superior force.

It's a hard choice, which means it's a good choice.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 17, 2017

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

flamingweedle posted:

Hey, I'm pretty new to the game and got my partner a giant pile of space elves and the triumvirate. Is there a good site for Ynnari theorycrafting/listbuilding?

Here's my plan, which I've built my list and army around:

10x Wraithguard with D-Scythes. Webway strike them in. Use a Spiritseer deployed normally to cast Quicken on them, using a command point reroll if you have to. If the Quicken still doesn't go off, use Yvriane to Word of the Phoenix them a free move to get them into scythe range.

10x D-scythe hits is average 20 automatic hits, wounding anything short of a tank on 2's and with -4AP knocking through anything. That can knock out, say, a Russ in a single volley no problem. If you successfully wipe out a unit - which is very likely - and didn't have to WotP them in, they'll immediately get a Soulburst action which you can use for another shot or a move into a guaranteed charge against a soft target. Smack them into something big and ranged and they'll do all right, and next turn they can fall back and shoot again for free from Implacable. If your enemy is melee heavy don't charge for the insane overwatch.

If possible, get a Farseer to Fortune them, too. 10 T6 3+/3+++ f*ckers who can put 20 D-scythe hits on a charging unit in the middle of the enemy's deployment area is about as horrifying a crisis as you can give someone to deal with and it'll buy time for the rest of your army to get together and do its thing.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

flamingweedle posted:

I don't have any Wraithguard at the moment.

D:

But wraithguard are so pretty

Here's mine:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

So I just had my first ever pick up game of 40K with my brand new Ynnari Eldar Wraithsy army that I've never ever played before. While I haven't played many games of 40K in general so far, this was exactly the kind of awesome down-to-the-wire poo poo that I was hoping I'd experience going into this hobby.

My army: A sleek, high-tech and intricately planned and theorycrafted Ynnari list, designed around an unstoppably devastating alpha strike wherein 10 wraithguard with D-Scythes deep strike in and rip the beating heart of the opponent's army. Intricately painted with complex blends and elaborate freehand.
His army: A bunch of random Eldar crap he literally had thrown together into a big cardboard box and stuffed in a backpack. No foam, it was just out there. It was pretty Thin Your Paints.jpg even before it had started flaking of on account of being in a big unsecured box in a backpack.

He had Asurmen, an Avatar of Khaine, Illic Nightspear, a Farseer, a Spiritseer, a Warlock on a jetbike, 6 Dire Avengers, 10 Guardians, 6 dark reapers, 5 wraithblades with axes, and 5 rangers. Literally a random pile of stuff.
I had 10x Wraithguard with D-scythes, 5x Wraithblades with swords, Yvraine, a Farseer, two Spiritseers, three Wraithlords, a Wave Serpent and a Death Jester. Svelte, synergistic, complimentary - an army with a plan.

Turn two the plan went off. The Wraithblades disembarked from the wave serpent and the wraithguard teleported in. A Quicken got the Wraithguard into D-Scythe range and my psykers hit my own Wraithblades with Fortune, Ancestor's Grace and Empower, and his Wraithblades with Doom. Hitting on 3s, rerolling 1's, wounding on 3's rerolling all failures - every piece of the puzzle was there and he had fallen into my trap. I made the charge.

I put two wounds on the fuckers.

Protect on axe wraithblades is pretty good. T6 3++ is... nasty.

He proceeded to butcher my WB, dumpster my Wave Serpent, and knock a few models off my Wraithguard. My big counter was unloading a shitload of Smites on his Wraithblades which managed to gut the unit down to almost nothing. But this is when I saw my chance arise. I still had seven Wraithguard in the middle of his formation, the Dire Avengers had a single model left in the unit and by this point Asurmen was down to a single wound. I could fire my Wraithguard in all directions, wipe either Asurmen or the Dire Avenger, and then Soulburst for a second round and kill his Avatar.

Three WG fired D-scythes at Asurmen. Two fired D-Scythes at the Dire Avenger. Two fired at his Dark Reapers. A D-Scythe is a pretty good weapon, you know? Hits d3 times automatically, strength 10, AP-4. They're reliable weapons, about as sure a thing as a gun in this game can be.

Killed nothing. Well. That's XCOM!

Okay, so the plan was ruined but it was okay. I could still salvage this. I just had the WG charge Asurmen, and Yvraine charged the Dire Avenger. I understood that Asurmen had a 3+ Invulnerable in melee and it was possible I might not kill him - but Yvraine would definitely kill a single Dire Avenger, right?

Well, she did! But then he command point rerolled his invulnerable save and made it. This was the only command point he'd spent the entire battle.

My entire plan fell apart like wet cardboard. The Avatar strolled through and killed all my Wraithguard. The battle was his.

The war was mine, though. I'd spent the entire game camped out on all the victory points with my Wraithlords while he focused on destroying my army and there was no time for him to finish the job because the shop was closing.

It was a fantastic match and the guy was awesome fun (as horrified as I am at his Backpack Full Of Miniatures). It came right down to the wire - I had a brilliant plan, perfectly mapped out weeks in advance, and the opportunity to pull it off came perfectly when 400 points of elite superheavy infantry in the centre of his formation had the opportunity to fire their murderguns twice... and the plan was thwarted by a single spooky dude in gaudy armour backflipping over a comical quantity of laser beams. It was the most Eldar way I possibly could have lost that fight, and the most Eldar way he could have possibly won it.

40K owns.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 22, 2017

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Red Hood posted:

I really want a daemonhost in my army, but I'm not sure what rules to use. Do any of you guys have ideas of what unit I could use to represent a bad-rear end daemonhost like we read about in Eisenhorn?

This guy is meant to be that exact guy. The shop also does a kicking rad Eisenhorn mini based off the cover art.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

In exchange we have some of the best goddamn guns in the game that aren't mounted on superheavies or other weird forgeworld bullshit. And even that's not enough because you just can't field enough of them to make up for, say, a tide of leman russes.

Yeah you can. Have you ever seen Dunecrawlers fight Russes? It's a slaughter for the Dunecrawlers. Neutron lasers wound Russes on 3's and Russes don't even get an armour save against it.

My buddy plays Guard and so much AdMech stuff feels like it was designed by a tech priest who specifically wanted to take down Guard stuff. Robots are literally designed to kill infinite swarms of Guardsmen - they have enough strength to wound on 2's and enough AP to automatically kill Guardsmen, even in cover. Neutron lasers are the same thing for Guard tanks. Everything AdMech has just enough invulnerable to make enemy tank fire unreliable and their amazing repair ability means that you have to kill each tank 100% to stop 'em.

The range is small but every piece of it amazingly effective. I've won every game I've taken my AdMech to (which is six games tbf), often so decisively I feel bad for doing it.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Booyah- posted:

Are bots and dunecrawlers your best performers vs non-guard as well?

Bots and Dunecrawlers are great against guard/orks/eldar/etc - races with T3 infantry and T8 vehicles.

Against Marines or Necrons, though, I actually get a shocking amount of mileage out of a unit of 6 Kataphron Destroyers with grav cannons, especially in an Agripinaa detachment. The S5 and -4 AP cracks power armour like peanuts, the T5 on the defense inures them against bolters and the 3 wounds makes them resistant to plasma. Their statline looks kind of underwhelming for what you pay but in practical terms on the table they're extremely resistant to small arms and not really efficient to shoot with anti vehicle weapons which makes them surprisingly difficult to shoot off the table.

And the Agripinaa stratagem lets you teleport and full heal a unit back to your deployment zone, and on an ordinary table they'll still be able to shoot from there. Plus if you equip the guys with heavy flamers and stand them next to a Dominus with Raiment of the Technomatyr their overwatch is literally 100% as good as their ordinary shooting. This is what I bring if I'm expecting super heavy melee opposition.

And this is my view of AdMech overall. On paper their stuff might not look amazing, but in practice you have at least one perfectly designed counter to all of the most common unit categories. Robots kill guard/gaunts/boyz, Dunecrawlers kill heavy vehicles, Kataphrons kill marines/terminators/light vehicles. And everything has exactly what it needs to be useful on the table. Dunecrawlers can move and shoot with no penalty, Kataphrons have a flamer option, Robots have fantastic invulns. I don't have many tools but all my tools are the perfect fit for the role I'm using them for.

quote:

Tangentially I have a unit of Sicarians and I'm wondering which configuration to go with.

Infiltrators for the Sicarians 100%. I assembled mine as Ruststalkers and they are terrible because:
A) Their swords have giant holes at the hilt that, while looking cool, mean they snap like twigs. I've glued those swords more than anything else.
B) T3/4+ and no transport makes them absurdly bad at actually getting into combat.
C) They can't hurt anything tougher than a Marine at all.

Conversely, getting a maxxed unit of Sicarians gives you a surprisingly good opportunity for Wrath Of Mars. 50 shots, hitting on 3's and mortal wounding on 6's to wound, placed anywhere you want, can catch a lot of people off guard.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

A neutron laser Dunecrawler will absolutely murder or at least cripple a Russ 1 on 1. The problem is that a Dunecrawler can only kill one tank per turn. You can field a lot of Russes per slot and still be able to fill out a Brigade.

And realistically you're not taking the maximum amount of dunecrawlers because they're competing for HS slots with the other star unit, Kastelans.

Slots really aren't an issue, though? Like, with a Brigade (easy to fill with how cheap Rangers and Enginseers are now) and a Spearhead you've got 8 HS slots. I can't imagine needing more than three Dunecrawlers unless you're expecting a 100% mechanized list.

Plus robots benefit from having a lot of them in a single unit. Six Kastellians with Wrath of Mars and Elimination Volley is an expensive investment but it's the kind of thing you only need to fire once to win a game.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Booyah- posted:

Cool, so you recommend the flechette blaster setup on the infiltrators as well?

It's mathematically better against everything except t6 and t7.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I have... severely underestimated the ability of heavy grav kataphrons to just loving sandpaper a land raider to death.

And really, really rotten luck with neutron lasers.

A S5 D3 damage shot doesn't sound like a lot - but you're firing them 30 times a round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

I am glad custodes are next because I've spent too much recently and it's good to have something I don't care about.