Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm getting back into wargaming after not playing at all since I was in high school and while I've settled on AoS for now thanks to a more active local scene, I used to play 40k and the setting / miniatures were always a bit more interesting to me than the fantasy side, so I strongly considered starting 40k back up too. Looking at lists and stuff now after being out of the loop for so long, it seems completely different - it looks like doing a "fluffy" list is basically noncompetitive for most armies, and most lists look like a weird jumble of cross-faction units and allies with no real theme / cohesion to it. I used to like Death Guard back in the day but the "DG" lists I'm seeing have like zero plague marines and are using Thousand Sons marines and cultists and stuff instead.

Is that just the current state of the game, or is that just the hyper-competitive tournament scene where everything is min-maxed as much as possible? Can you still make faction-themed armies that are competitive for LGS play, or would it basically be condemning yourself to constant losses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

How popular is Kill Team in you guys' experience? Most of my attempts to get into 40k when I was younger were thwarted by me being an insanely slow painter and also getting tired of painting the same units over and over, which meant I never got enough points together to do anything with. The small squad aesthetic of Kill Team is super appealing to me for lots of reasons but I'm not sure how many people actual play it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Airbrush chat a few pages ago was super helpful, but I had one quick question: how often do the Badger brushes go on sale and how cheap do they get? I don't want to spend money I don't need to spend but I also don't want to wait like 6 months to save $10 or something.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Are Grey Knights getting new minis or something? Seems like they've been completely out of stock on GW's store for a good while now and with all the space marine scale creep they definitely look a little dainty now. I kinda want to make a GK Kill Team that I can work on until there's ever an opportunity to play again, but I don't want to be finishing them off right as a new line drops.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I like that they seem to have toned down the insane amount of janky spikes and poo poo they were sticking all over the plague marines there for a while. A lot of newer GW models are so busy that they aren't even really fun to paint and just kinda look like indistinct jumbles of color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Speaking of Death Guard, wtf why did they discontinue the easy-build Plague Marines? I was gonna pick some up when I finally stopped being broke for Kill Team and the models look way better than the regular plague marine box. Why is this company so full of dumb assholes.

Sab669 posted:

I'm having a really hard time getting settled on a paint scheme, and the extra bones and tentacles and everything sure do make it tough to pull something together that I like

this is my latest WIP;

Need to grunge it up a bit more. Or rather, need to look up How To Weather :)

Dig that armor, makes him look like a bottle fly.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 13, 2020