Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I today I discovered a sickening thing you can field as IG that I want to field just for shits and giggles, and because it has to be obnoxious as gently caress.

Stormlord (430) [599]
Heavy Stubber x2 (8)
Autocannon (15)
Twin Heavy Bolter (14)
Vulcan Mega-Bolter (0)
Adamantium Tracks (0)
Lascannon x4 (80)
Twin Heavy Bolter x4 (52)

Heavy Weapons Squad 72
Heavy Weapons Team x3 (12)
Lascannon x3 (60)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenades (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 72
Lascannon x3 (60)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenades (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 72
Lascannon x3 (60)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenades (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 36
Lascannon x3 (60)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenade (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 36
Heavy Bolter x3 (24)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenade (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 36
Heavy Bolter x3 (24)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenade (0)

Company Commander (30)
Laspistol (0)
Chainsword (0)
Frag Grenades (0)

Total: 989

The Stormlord can transport up to 40 models (Heavy Weapon Teams count as 2), and up to 20 models can fire from the back per turn. That means all 12 Lascannons and six Heavy Bolters can be fired every turn from the HWTs, plus the 20 S6 AP-2 D2 shots from the main gun, plus 4 more Lascannon shots from the sponsons, then 30 shots from the Twin Heavy Bolters, and another 6 from the Heavy Stubbers, then 2 from the Autocannons, plus Lasguns if you're close enough. I'm not entirely sure whether the Company Commander can issue orders from the back like that, but rerolling 1s to hit on all that ordnance is... well, it's a lot of wounds.

EDIT: it's the Heavy Support Detachment, plus a Lord of War auxiliary detachment (I forget if there's one that gives you a CP). Totally battleforged. :v:

Strobe fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Sadly no. The transport rules specify "Astra Militarum models".

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JBP posted:

Can I buy a brace of 10 plasma pistols and fire them all? Surely they've hosed up the rules with at least one model that will allow for it.

There are, at present, no loopholes for that outside of Forge World; Forge World has the Elysian Drop Troops specific Order that makes things hilarious in a bad way for reasons that were clearly not evident to the person who wrote them..

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

The old psyker phase was tedious I suppose but the main draw for me were all these RPG-style psyker schools and the ability to pick between multiple types of magic and the risk of rolling powers you don't want or getting lucky and having some truly awesome poo poo

Sure you're gonna get power-gaming gently caress-asses that whine about not being able to pick their powers but it was one of those unpredictable things that made you change your play-style on the fly and adapt to the unexpected

Counterpoint: this was the worst thing about Psykers. A single dice roll determining whether that single model that could be up to 10% of your entire army was going to be useful or useless is lovely and dumb. Random powers was, and still is, stupid.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Wanting more power choices is cool and good. Wanting to go back to random rolling powers is loving dumb and bad.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zaphod42 posted:

I do not think a single person would ever want that. Arguing against opinions nobody holds is silly.

goose willis posted:

The old psyker phase was tedious I suppose but the main draw for me were all these RPG-style psyker schools and the ability to pick between multiple types of magic and the risk of rolling powers you don't want or getting lucky and having some truly awesome poo poo

Sure you're gonna get power-gaming gently caress-asses that whine about not being able to pick their powers but it was one of those unpredictable things that made you change your play-style on the fly and adapt to the unexpected

I wasn't. :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Well, it's not *always* 30 Heavy Bolter shots. Sometimes it's 6 Heavy Bolter shots and 8D6 Heavy Flamer hits that can be fired while locked in combat.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

chutche2 posted:

I dunno, I feel like thunder hammers needing 4s to hit aren't going to do a lot unless you have a lot of models with them. Vanguard are 2A each, that's 1 hit per guy. If it's a 5-man squad and only 2 or 3 of them have hammers they're not actually doing much against targets you needed hammers to fight. And your 18 point pistol/chainsword mooks are going to get murked pretty quickly if they start shooting AP weaponry at you, which is the whole point of having the shields. If you've got 10 and lets say half of them have hammers and shields and the other half are chainsword mooks, you're paying 300 points for 5 thunder hammers. Death Company don't get shields but at least get 3A when charging so can leverage their hammers better.

(EDIT: with 3 hammers) Average three hits, further averaging 2.5 wounds, for 7.5 damage on those wounds against anything T4 or lower. Against T7 vehicles, it's 2 wounds for 6 damage. Against T8 vehicles, it's 1.5 wounds for 4.5 damage. None of that is terrible odds.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
True, but Lascannon Devastators probably shouldn't be trying to lock a vehicle in combat, which is a clear and sometimes decisive advantage that a melee unit has.

But it's almost like there's not a genuine Best Equipment to pick 100% of the time. But that can't be, this is GW! :v:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pendent posted:

If you're getting Death Company in combat against something and not requiring a literal bucket of dice for your attacks you're doing something wrong.

Blood Angels have way better options for killing hard targets- Sanguinary Guard, TH/SS Terminators. Company Veterans with JP are incredibly flexible and can do pretty much whatever you need. Death Company should be focusing on what they're good at and taking a pretty light loadout to do it- 10 man squad mostly armed with bolters and chainswords, throw a few power weapons in and maybe a thunder hammer. Use them as a fairly hard hitting, mobile, expendable squad that your opponent has to react to.

Edit: I really want to go back to my original point about graphs with expected damage output etc not being all that useful. This is a squad of dudes who are going to die. That is literally their entire point, both in the fluff and on the tabletop. They need to be built with that expectation kept firmly in mind.

Basically. Two Chainswords each is going to be my go-to Death Company squad, with maybe the sergeant having a Thunder Hammer (and a Chainsword). Roll a shitload of dice on the charge (what, five attacks each?), plus the jump pack mortal wounds for charging. It won't kill tanks with any kind of reliability, but it'll do enough.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's an instance of a situation where I would absolutely make the guy performing the attack roll the dice one model at a time, so that when that model standing out in the breeze eventually dies the rest of the squad gets the cover bonus for any subsequent shots. Target declaration all happens before wounds are rolled, so you can't stop the attack from happening even if LOS is broken by casualties, but when the armor save is rolled you definitely meet all the conditions for cover.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think the most generally, opposing-list-agnostic loadout is a Tempestor Prime and Command Rod with two 10-man squads that each have a Plasma Pistol for the Sergeant and four Plasma guns for the Scions. Issue the reroll 1s to hit order to both, and you're putting out 18 supercharged Plasma shots at deep strike range that are all S8 AP-3 D2, rerolling 1s so you don't kill yourself, plus 10 Hotshot Lasgun shots at S4 AP-2 D1 still rerolling 1s. Total cost ends up at (if I'm doing it right) 309 points. It's a chunk, but it also has a tendency to put out an average of ~15 damage against most vehicles, and will outright delete most infantry or single characters.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

spacegoat posted:

So what's the point in the Neurothrope being able to recover up to D3 wounds when it/Zoanthropes only have 3 wounds? I'm guessing you can't bring dead Zoes back?

Better odds of recovering 2 than 1; a D2 would be worse for them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think it'll probably be a Triple mount of some moderately useful Heavy weapon, like Heavy Stubbers.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mortanis posted:

Dumb rules question. With Tau, Drone Support says they act as a separate unit. Does that count for victory points? Played a game today against a Tau player where the only victory condition was victory points for killing units and I slaughtered him based solely on drones - either I popped them as they're squishy or his Saviour Protocols for taking hits. That seems really crappy but we can't find anything implying otherwise. One deployed they are a separate unit.

Is the answer to take less drones?

Typically the rules text specifying independent units says they're treated as separate units for all rules and interactions, so yes.

Keep in mind that exactly 1/12 of the current published missions for matched play use kill points, so it doesn't come up terribly often.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Were you counting each individual drone as a unit, or the drones that deployed with suits in a cumulative unit of their own?

Edit: I'm asking because it sounds like you are treating each drone as one unit, when you are supposed to treat them as a unit together.

Example: unit of 3 crisis suits have 2 drones each. Once they hit the table, you now have a unit of 3 crisis suits and a unit of 6 drones.

Either way, the answer is to take shield drones along with other drones. If you use a drone as an ablative wound, they get no save and take a mortal wound. But if the drone unit is attacked outright, the shield drone still gets its save which can take the brunt of any shots before allocating to other drones in the unit.

Unit of 6 drones (2 shield, 2 gun, 2 markerlight) takes 4 wounds. Roll the two 4+ saves for the shield drones, assuming you make them, then allocate the other wounds to 1 gun and 1 markerlight. Or however you want it done.

That is a good time to roll saves one at a time, or two at a time, until you run out of shield drones.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

jng2058 posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure you do. Same way you can't just roll a bunch of plasma shots together on a Marine squad and then declare "Oh, no the plasma gun blew up, not my sergeant with plasma pistol who also has a power sword!"

In a squad of multi-wound models that take mortal wounds (not model removed), already wounded models take them first, but otherwise you assign them however you want. The Mortal Wound is assigned to the unit, not to a model. It's a very subtle difference.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It depends on the plasma. Plasma Guns, Plasma Incincerators, Combi-Plasma, Plasma Cannons, and Plasma Pistols remove the model. Heavy Plasma Cannons, Leman Russ Plasma Cannons and other vehicle plasma weapons do mortal wounds.

EDIT: fun fact: Heavy Plasma Cannons only actually do 1 Mortal Wound. They're very good on Dreadnoughts.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 13, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I don't care if a game is fun as long as my space barbies have a bunch of different outfits.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

If a predator has a twin las-cannon and two extra las-cannons can it fire all three guns in the same turn? Like is there a penalty or something

There's a penalty for firing Heavy weapons if you move, but otherwise all models can fire all non-pistol and non-grenade weapons every turn at no penalty.

With the lack of penetrating hits and no way to destroy weapons, what would even be the point of putting multiple guns on a tank if you couldn't fire them? :psyduck:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Gonna use Reivers as counts-as Death Company. They're going to look sick in black with red armor.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Crisis suits move twice as far, can fall back and still shoot, can assault fliers as a last ditch and avoid being shot by them next turn, and have two wounds each.

Have you considered that the points account for things you don't use or like using?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Guardsmen can't ignore cover, move as fast, or have three wounds each. The platform that a weapon can go on is a part of its cost.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JoshTheStampede posted:

It isn't, they specifically clarified that it's after all modifiers.

RE: Gets Hot, doesn't this mean that if you roll a 1 with a -1 to hit, that it's actually a 0 and you don't Get Hot? :v:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Lame.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's an Ork Trukk. Weird pieces in impossible places is a feature, not a bug.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I hated the whole thing with Guilliman and the Blood Angels when I first read it, but the conversation Dante and Guilliman are implied to have on the surface that goes roughly:

Dante: Thanks for the rescue, but how'd you get past the fleet?
Guilliman: What fleet?
Both: ......

And I'm generally okay with Guilliman "taking credit" for something he didn't do, knows he didn't do, and everybody reading knows he didn't do, either.

EDIT: Also Guilliman is alright, and I seem to recall (in one of the Heresy books, maybe?) where he almost gets loving clowned by a single Tac Squad rapid firing bolters at him.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah in that scenario the Lords of Terra's' collective lifespans can probably be measured in tens of minutes. It'd be interesting for all of six pages of one novel. :shrug:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

chutche2 posted:

What happened to that Timber Wolf's arms?

I think the better question is why anyone would bother putting machine guns on a Catapult.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
My favorite 40K dumb fan theory is that the Golden Throne actually does gently caress-all, and that it's the Orks believing that the Emperor is an immortal killing machine that's kept him alive for so long, and now the Astronomicon is fading because Orks haven't seen him in 10k years and are starting to believe he's not actually immortal. :v:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Did we actually get confirmation of communication, though? I was under the impression that said "talk" consisted of Guilliman staring at a dessicated corpse for about an hour, and then spending the next 23 figuring out what the gently caress to do now.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SteelMentor posted:

Power-Sword and two different bolter variants.

Fingers crossed the book gives some more.

Specifically, master-crafted versions of both the Auto Bolt Rifle and the Stalker Bolt Rifle

Auto: 24", Assault 2, S4, AP 0, D2
Stalker: 36", Heavy 1, S4, AP-2, D2

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I am very much on board with the idea that the Legion of the Damned (and Celestine) are actually the demons of the Emperor, Chaos God of Pride. Even though GW definitely doesn't have the balls (this edition) to go ahead and outright declare it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So Intercessors can take Stalker Bolt Rifles (whole squad or just one per five?), but can they take Auto Bolt Rifles? Box mags > scopes.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

WhiteWolf123 posted:

You cannot accumulate more shots by rolling additional 6s.

Ya, in double-tap range, for each 6 shots, you'll get 2 more shots on average. Not terrible, but CPs are getting so much more valuable that it might not be worth it in most situations.

So a squad of Tactical Terminators with 4 Storm Bolters and a special weapon will volley-off 16 shots, and you'll get an extra ~5 shots on average.

Full size Intercessor Squads with Auto Bolt Rifles do alright, too. Advance and still fire max ROF in 24" range. Could be pretty speedy for Primaris.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cover specifically applies only to Armor and not to Invulnerable saves, so this seems reasonable.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Floppychop posted:

That's actually going to be kind of a pain to deal with. Have to keep track of each loss in every marine unit

I'm struggling to figure out how it'd even be possible to have a model that had fled, but not have a different model that had been slain to try to resurrect. The only scenario I can think of is if you have multiple Apothecaries shadowing a single good-size marine unit that somehow wasn't immediately murdered on a turn where they lost a couple to morale, and it's such an edge case that it seems silly to include in a FAQ. :shrug:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Any of the HQs could fit. Based on the AOS Dwarves box that dropped headlining an $85 model, there's an outside, non-zero chance we get Repulsor, Intercessors, HQ.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Today I learned that Assault Terminators wreck poo poo, after a squad of five of them ate seven wounds off a Land Raider in a single fight phase. Unleash Fury from the Librarian, plus +1S from a Sanguinary Priest meant 21 attacks, rerolling attacks from a Chaplain, and rerolling wounds from Lightning Claws. Ended up with 15 wounds dealt, and he failed a little less than half of them. Some good poo poo right there.

And then the motherfucking Rhino went last in combat, rolled a single 6 to hit, 6 to wound, and he rolls a 1 on the save to take the last wound. That Rhino's getting some goddamn bling for killing a Land Raider in melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JoshTheStampede posted:

Are dual pistols or dual chainswords still legal Vanguard Vet load outs in the codex?

Yes. And it's loving awesome. Specifically: "The Veteran Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with two items from the following list: A storm shield, a relic blade, or an item from the Pistols and Melee Weapons lists."

Strictly speaking, there is no restriction from taking the same option twice (that'd be "two different items"). It just so happens that two storm shields or two relic blades is completely pointless. Further justification: Taking a Plasma Pistol and Chainsword (for example) also falls under taking the third option twice.

"Any Space Marine Veteran may replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with a storm shield and an item from the Pistols or Melee Weapons lists, or with two items from the Pistols and/or Melee Weapons lists."

This one flat out says you can take two from the list, and it's glorious. A full size squad shits out 41 attacks.