Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is there a single 8th edition army that's extremely under-powered or unplayable now? Seems like they actually made everything pretty balanced for once and most armies hover around "average" or "pretty good" but nothing seems to be "garbage" or "insta-win" anymore which is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I didn't think anything was unplayable in 7th either.

Orks

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'm seeing Dark Imperium boxes on eBay for 130 dollars. Good price, buy it now? Or will I find it cheaper somewhere else?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

1d4chan is an excellent source of tactics and informal write-ups about the fluff but it would be nice if it wasn't littered with LOL RAPE and dumbass old memes from circa 2007 /tg/

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Mugaaz posted:

I'm assembling the models from the starter today. I haven't worked with plastics before, do these need to be washed prior to priming?

No, washing is only for (some) resin

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

So are primaris marines capable of going renegade or are they TOTALLY PURE FOREVER

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Is there even a reason to take Chaos marines as troops anymore when you can just use cultists and havocs instead?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Havocs are literally the exact same models but with big guns so they're just as cool if not cooler

Cultists fulfill the meat-shield role for very, very cheap

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

It made sense before when you had Traitor Legions and you could just do an Alpha Legion list with pretty much your entire army of marines, chosen, and cultists infiltrating

Now they're probably the single blandest unit in the game because you just take the most generic unit (a tactical squad) and then remove every single thing that makes it remotely interesting or colorful and it's just a blob of S4/T4 with 3+ saves and no personality

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

JBP posted:

Why wouldn't you want at least one unit of baller rear end chaos space marines with roaring bolters and spikes on them?

You can do the exact same thing with a 10-man havoc squad which is identical in every way to a generic 10-man Chaos marine squad except they can take double the amount of big guns so why would you pick the generic squad?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

No but that's why you'd take the cultists to do the objective-humping which they do much better than a 10-man marine squad for way less points

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Oh they loving better

If they don't I'm going to produce so much angry ranting I'll be able to fill several death threads up with nothing but my own seething rage

Like I understand that at the moment everything is generic to keep everything on a balanced playing field as they develop the proper intricacies of 8th edition but if it turns out that it's just gonna be the Imperium getting all the focus as usual while Chaos just gets the scraps in the form of inefficient unappealing analogs I am going to blow my poo poo so hard

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Master Twig posted:

Been working on this most of the day. Deathspitters and wings are magnetized, but I can't imagine I'll be changing those out too often.

What is that? I am not familiar with the names of most big Tyranid monsters

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

The models look great and the paint job is incredible but I still maintain that cult armies (and Tau T'au) don't remotely fit into 40k and instead look like they just came out of some new release of Mantic's Warpath game (which is rad and I would totally play if I could drag my friends into it)

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Yeast posted:

Finally got around to watching Zulu last night.

That box of 100 odd Praetorians is my next project I think. Victoria miniatures also sells "Captain Caine"

http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/captain-caine-metal

Pip pip old boy, this Imperium isn't going to defend itself. There's a good lad.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=3643

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

So did they get rid of heavy armor for Orks?

What about looted wagons?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I never play any of the missions with my friends, we just stick something in the middle of the board and call it an objective and we say whoever is camping on it by the end of turn 6 is the winner

This something often ends up being an overturned cup or an empty cardboard box

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Is there a reason why vanilla marines can do the combat squads thing while the Chaos marines (who generally have no loving organization to speak of) are somehow unable to split up into five-man squads

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

It doesn't seem as much an organizational thing with them as much as "I like these brothers more than these other brothers and I can fight with them because we are a close knit group"

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Fluff-wise, how have Ork-Tyranid conflicts gone? Seems to me like they'd be never-ending and that pushing a huge number of Orks in the path of Tyranids would be a great way to keep a hive fleet away

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I haven't looked at Games Workshop prices in a while because I mostly get my material off eBay sales but uh

Sisters of Silence are 80 dollars for ten plastic figurines? That used to be for like a mega battle force back in the day or some poo poo

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

The models aren't even that cool and basically look like battle sisters with punk hairdos

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

The only way you're ever gonna see plastic battle sisters is if another company starts mass-producing enough of them to get Games Workshop's legal team on the case and they suddenly feel "compelled" to trademark and produce their very own Sororitas of B'attle

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

For weapons that do multiple hits with variable damage, do you roll the damage for each hit, or for the entire volley?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I have some updates on the painting experiment on the Dark Vengeance models I gave my mother, she's half-way through painting them so any feedback would be appreciated and next time I will try to use some better lighting conditions

Pretty much told her to focus on "rusty brass and/or silver" for this and to give red details where appropriate

Dark Vengeance tactical squad

One of the boxed set special characters I think? Honestly even though he's a Space Wolf he'd make a sick Chaos Lord

Those cheapo Russian six-dollar tanks on eBay actually paint up surprisingly nicely for their price and come with plenty of weapon options to choose from

Even looks kind of cool primed and un-painted

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Yes I apologize for the lovely lighting

What is that cheapo lighting rig setup you people mostly use for model photos?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

chutche2 posted:

Also, going by the shadows the light source is behind them, which isn't awesome for photography.

It's actually above them it's a ceiling light

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

With cultists this edition is it better to go with shooting or melee?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

8th is great but generic and I'm hoping they bring the flavor on with upcoming codex releases

Bring 8th edition to flavor country

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Wait, what?

So if I have a bolter and a bolt pistol on a Chaos marine I can fire both?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Oh

But a tank can still fire every single gun it has right?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Why exactly does Forge World have a separate rules team when it's a subsidiary of Games Workshop and can just use the Real Guys

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

The side shots look like a hilarious bird with a closed and opened mouth

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Soulfucker posted:

Where the gently caress are the Knarloc rules

lmao if you think that cool colorful models are going to get rules before the latest shat-out rendition of <CHAPTER> NounNoun Adjective Tank

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Dark Apostle
- 1x apostle w/ combi-melta + power maul
- 95 points

Chaos Cultists
- 40x cultists w/ auto-pistols + combat weapons
- 200 points

Chaos Cultists
- 40x cultists w/ auto-guns
- 200 points

495 points total
81 models total

Apostle marches up the board with the pistol cultists and has them re-roll all failed attacks while the protective meat shield ensures he can use his combi-melta to pop any walkers or the stray tank that somehow ends up at the 500 point level meanwhile the gun cultists get 80 S3 shots in rapid-fire range

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

What's the points cost of the two starter armies in the Dark Imperium box?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Who wants to take a wild guess as to what the first full codex is going to be

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Which one of you nerds is responsible for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjStciqDf0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

What would be a good model from the entire 40k range that can be painted up very ornately and given things like gold foil decorating it? Something decorated like a religious icon, basically. I'm thinking a highly-revered dreadnought or something like that.