Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What's good for dissolving acrylic paint on a model without dissolving the plastic figure itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Isn't Simple Green basically Pine Sol?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Are all the details gonna be preserved on the model itself or am I gonna see some softening going on?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

It's OK man just wait a couple of months for them to release the Primaris Venerable Missilestorm Team armed with Venerable Rangedstrike Missile Launchers that fire Venerable Plasmastorm Deathbeam Missiles

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

P'rimaris

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

If they released a budget line of mono-pose kits at a significantly lower price point they'd make a lot of poorer players happy and it'd greatly lower the barrier of entry to a hobby that is generally more expensive than cocaine

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah but that's saving you like a few dollars at most and the prices for horde armies are still loving ridiculous

Technically speaking they already have a "budget line" in the form of the Dark Vengeance and Dark Imperium boxes that both give you two complete starter armies per box but it'd be cool if they could do that for non-marine/Chaos armies

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

And on today's edition of It Came From eBay

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Trip report: Dettol works fantastic for stripping paint, left some models in a tub of it overnight and all the paint was gone and the details are still there

Next time I'll try Simple Green but I'll have to order it on Amazon because none of the stores near me have it

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Arven posted:

Was the paint actually gone or did you have to scrub the minis after? Because with simple green you still have to scrub them really good. I have 10 fuzzy primered Mordians sitting on my shelf that really need a bath.

I would say like 95% gone and then I scrubbed off the small remainder with a toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol (don't use water because this will gently caress things up)

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Someone on eBay is selling 5th edition starter box marines, ten to a squad, poorly painted, for like twelve dollars each squad

Now that I know how comparatively easy it is to strip paint I might just buy some of those squads to have around as troop filler and/or color scheme practice

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

One of my issues with 8th edition is how everything fits into the same bland mold of "blob of small things accompanied by an upgraded small thing who gives them +1 to-hit and/or re-rolling hits while within six inches"

Army-wide special rules tend to be situational at best and completely worthless at worst with the most offensive example of the latter being how Chaos Space Marines rarely get an extra attack only if they're up against an Imperial army while the Space Marines are more points-efficient in basically every single way and can re-roll morale checks that they'll likely be passing in the first place

They did a fine job of homogenizing everything and making all sorts of formerly useless units useful again to the point that there isn't a single army that feels painful to play as but at the same time a lot of the old character is gone and I'm just really hoping that the proper codex releases are going to restore some color to the game

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'm super upset about the dropping of Traitor Legions rules and the awesome old psyker system and while they seem to be hinting that they'll restore both of those things I have a good feeling that I'm going to have to wait through a year or two for Games Workshop to get the usual pablum of Venerable Primaris Fastblade Deathmissile Striketeam and Venerable Primaris Killbeam Plasmastorm Megalauncher and Venerable Primaris Killmaster Landraider out of their system before we see something with actual personality

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Black_Nexus posted:

While I am sad about losing traitor legions, I can't say I miss the psyker phase at all.

The old psyker phase was tedious I suppose but the main draw for me were all these RPG-style psyker schools and the ability to pick between multiple types of magic and the risk of rolling powers you don't want or getting lucky and having some truly awesome poo poo

Sure you're gonna get power-gaming gently caress-asses that whine about not being able to pick their powers but it was one of those unpredictable things that made you change your play-style on the fly and adapt to the unexpected

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I used to have so many powers to choose from, so many psyker schools, all the cool poo poo like Geomortis that included powers that would let me levitate loving buildings across the battlefield and while that probably didn't have much of an in-game use it was cool as all gently caress

What the piss christ is the Dark Hereticus "discipline" supposed to be? Three loving bland as poo poo powers that are completely overshadowed by what the Space Marines got, just as loving expected? Is there a reason I would want to pick Infernal Gaze over the generic Smite power every single psyker gets? Warptime gives a unit a free movement phase, big loving deal because movement doesn't mean poo poo once you're in combat and the loyalist marines get a power that gives them +1 S/T/A for an entire phase. Prescience was just ripped off the Eldar and while the only really useful of the three powers it doesn't feel cool at all and is just a generic +1 to-hit you're gonna get from having a Chaos Lord nearby anyway

I used to be able to move loving mountains man, I used to be able to fry every single unit surrounding me and take out entire hordes, I used to be able to just point at an enemy vehicle and have shards explode off it that slam into nearby enemies

What the gently caress happened to you, Chaos

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Tyranids and Genestealers get far cooler psyker powers than tzeentch.

The running joke of 40k is that since time immemorial the loving Chaos God of Magic has always had the worst discipline

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'm pretty sure that like nobody in this thread actually purchased the indices because they were already available as leaks like two weeks before the actual release lol

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Which unit type allows you to cram the absolute most models into a single force organization slot

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Shadowsword is one of the dumbest loving names for a gigantic tank I've ever seen and is another symptom of the loving lazy "NounNoun" naming scheme that has plagued science fiction and fantasy ever since the advent of Warcraft

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'm not going to dispute the appearance of the tank but once you start noticing that naming scheme it becomes so thoroughly grating on you that you are filled with rage every time you see a new example of it and Games Workshop has not failed to surprise me

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

They're gonna loving fill in the rest of that before they announce plastic Sisters and/or give Chaos some decent rules for once

And just as they're about to they'll add another row or column :ssh:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

That's OK man just wait for the 9th edition secundus marines

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

What are the most "standard" load-outs for the generic tactical marine and Space Wolves kits? I got one of each and I'm going to assemble them before handing them off to my mother to paint for eBay

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Does anyone in these threads even reply to army list posts

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Painted the five-man Dark Vengeance terminator squad

What looks right/wrong and what should be fixed/changed

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Dark Eldar terrain set looking good

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

What the gently caress is going on in here

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Spess Mareens

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Aren't all the berzerker models like old enough to vote now

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Meanwhile the loving space marines are in dire need of even more dread variations and Venerable NounNoun Battlemaster Killertanks

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Can Chaos get in on some of the sweet dead robot cyborg action? Haha no here's your loving helbrute (formerly Chaos dread) who has teetered between poo poo and OK every other edition and that's all you'll ever loving get lol

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Hype articles: "falling back from battle is a cool new tactic you can try, but at the penalty that you can't fire that round, so you need to have another line of infantry to shoot up the attackers! Also, the brand new morale system ensures that everyone has to take a morale check and possibly lose some extra models if they took any casualties, so nothing is fearless anymore!"

Ultramarines: "LOL NO"

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Yes but at the penalty that they will forever look really loving stupid

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Harlequins would make plenty of sense in some sort of small RPG version of 40k but the concept of some goofy-looking space clown army made up of space elves who are DANGEROUSLY NEUTRAL is so loving stupid that I refuse to accept their existence

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Pendent posted:

If you don't think Solitaires are cool I just don't know what to tell you.

I don't

Pendent posted:

In a game I watched at my FLGS I saw one move like 20-30 inches over enemy models and then absolutely destroy the enemy warlord. It owned pretty hard.

This is fun, to you?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'm gonna have a 750 point game against my Tyranid friend tonight, he's gonna bring a mass of warriors and a few carnifexes, I'm gonna bring two dark apostles, eighty cultists with autoguns, and a predator tank with a twin las-cannon and two extra las-cannons

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Cultist question: do I want to field 2x 40-boy squads, 4x 20-boy squads, or 8x 10-boy squads

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

If a predator has a twin las-cannon and two extra las-cannons can it fire all three guns in the same turn? Like is there a penalty or something

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Yesterday's match was ridiculous.

I set up my cultists in two blobs of 20 each, one on one side of the table, one on the other. Each group had one Dark Apostle hanging around between them. My tank drove up behind a large bunker in the middle of the table, and just parked there, waiting. One mass of cultists advanced up towards my friend's Tyranids, while the other mass of cultists crept up the other side of the board so that they could climb up onto the bunker and seize the objective.

Due to all the terrain and barricades on the board we didn't get any combat until the second turn, and that was when he brought his Old One Eye up into a mass of 40 cultists that were all in rapid fire range. This is the point where I learned how worthless small arms fire is up against a giant monster. Out of 80, 43 shots hit, 8 wounded, and 3 got through his saves, and he command point re-rolled all of them just to rub it in. His shooting then proceeded to wipe out a fairly large chunk of cultists before charging them.

My plan all along was to get him tied up in combat with one squad of cultists, and then have them fall back while the other squad of cultists and the quad-las Predator could fire. This worked out well at first, because I was able to reduce Old One Eye to 3 wounds with some lucky shots. However, the problem was that my army list was made up entirely of chaff, with very little punching power. I sorely needed more big guns, and all I could do was just keep backing the Predator up while dwindling squads of terrified cultists barely hung on, kept on the board solely through the Dark Apostle's leadership.

By the final round, I had a single Dark Apostle standing on top of the bunker, hugging the objective. The Predator was still on the ground nearby, having taken out his big monsters. All of my cultists were dead. He had some ripper swarms that he was hoping to seize the objective with, but a single volley from the Predator wiped them all out. So, he contested the objective by bringing a squad of warriors up to charge me. The Dark Apostle was able to survive blow after blow due to lucky invulnerable save rolls, until, at last, he only had one wound left and had to take two saves. If he passed both, we would have a tied game, and if he lost one, I would have lost.

Guess what happened? He passed one and lost the other. I didn't have any command points left. :v:

THIS IS THE loving VALUE OF COMMAND POINTS gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

We are still learning 8th edition so slip-ups like that are expected