Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Our death guard player is supposed to dust off her 4th ed army this week, looking forward to it.

My first ever game was imperial guard vs plague marines and that super did not go well. They did not give a poo poo about my lasguns. Plus I've got my own plans for a chaos army so seeing them in action will be nice.

Re balanced lists being best: I dunno. One of my friends has a list that's nothing but dreadnoughts and techmarines, and none of his games so far have even been close. Edition is still young though.

What kind of dreads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Battle Report: 1500 Orks vs Space Marines
Wait, Space Marines Reroll Leadership?

My buddy and I decided to give 8th edition a shot. He hasn't played in over a decade, I haven't played since 6th turned the whole game into a shitshow, so why the hell not. He dusted off his models, I put together a force, and we decided to see how things went. We decided to do something basic; No Mercy with Dawn of War Deployment.

Orks
2 Big Meks w/ KFF
2 WAAAGH! Nobz
2 Squads of 18 Slugga Boyz w/ PK Nob
1 Squad of 30 Boyz w/ 3 Big Shootas, PK Nob w/ Kustom Shoota
2 Battlewagons w/ 'Ard Case, 3 Big Shootas, & Deffrolla
2 Dakkajets w/ 6 Supa Shootas

Marines
Captain w/ Relic Blade
Terminator Captain w/ Relic Blade & Storm Bolter
5 Scouts w/ Camo Cloak & Sniper Rifle
2 Squads of 10 Space Marines w/ Missile Launcher & Flamer
Apothecary
Dreadnought w/ Multi Melta & DCCW
Dreadnought w/ 2x Twin Autocannon
Dreadnought w/ Twin Lascannon & DCCW
5 Assault Marines w/ Jump Packs
Land Speeder w/ Heavy Bolter & Typhoon ML
Whirlwind

Deployment

We used a 5'x4' space since that's what my table can handle. You can see the terrain above; a combination of craters, Hex Platformer towers, and barricades. The battle for the planet of Greyplas will be hard fought. My Big Mek warlord ended up getting the leadership trait (Woo...) while the Power Armor Captain got the 6+ save against all wounds (Boo!). I set up first with a Battlewagon in the center; being able to put multiple units inside a vehicle meant my opponent had to show a lot more than I did oh hey they just FAQ'd it so that everything inside a transport is declared at once with the transport. I put both Battlewagons along a flank, had the 30 shoota boyz march up the other side of the field, and put the Dakkajets on the flank assuming they would have to make a turn and strafe everything. Since weapon facing is gone positioning flyers is a lot more flexible. The Space Marines were deployed with the Land Speeder along one flank with the Whirlwind behind cover. The first tactical squad was backed by the Terminator Captain and the quad autocannon dread. On the Space Marine right flank the assault marines were backed by the other Captain and the Lascannon dread. On the far right was the second tactical squad and the multi-melta dread. The scouts set up on the highest point of cover in the ruins on the right.

The Orks finished first so we went first after my opponent failed to seize initiative.

Turn 1 - Orks
The Orks advanced aggressively, with everyone pushing forward before dumping every bit of firepower available into the assault squad to get first blood. The real firepower was in the Dakkajets who did the majority of the damage while the other squads got a few. Being able to dump 18 shots that hit on 4's is fantastic, especially given how hard it is to hit a jet in response. The assault squads melt and first blood go to the Orks. The scouts in cover were also wounded once.

Turn 1 - Space Marines
My buddy unloads with his shooting, and we quickly learn that his dice are cursed. The MM dread takes aim and shoots at a Dakkajet, missing it but hitting it on a reroll before proceeding to roll a 1 to wound. The shoota boyz start to take casualties as the tactical marines, scouts, and Whirlwind kill a total of 12 from combined fire. Meanwhile on the other flank the battlewagons take fire from the remainder of the force to no effect; not a single shot proceeds to hit or wound vs T8 in spite of the presence of the Captains and I don't even get to roll a KFF save. The tactical marines decide that they should be able to handle the tank in front of them and proceed to charge it, thinking that at least they could wrap around and prevent the boys inside from doing anything. Instead they proceed to do nothing while the Deff Rolla takes out five. The Tactical Marines roll boxcars on the leadership test and in the span of single roll the squad disappears.

We might have forgotten that Marines can reroll leadership. Whoops.

Turn 1 Total: Orks 3, Marines 0

Turn 2 - Orks
The slugga boyz spill out while the Dakkajets make a hard turn to strafe the line. Shooting from the wagons and slugga boyz knocks two wounds off the Land Speeder, and completely by accident I manage to maneuver my Dakkajet so that the Warlord Captain is closest. Four wounds later the Captain is nearly dead, but the other Dakkajet is sadly too far and instead has to blast the scouts without effect. The shootas do just as little and then everything that isn't a flyer on my side charges. One Battlewagon manages to get into range of the Whirlwind and takes off five wounds, the slugga boyz destroy the Land Speeder before consolidating into the Whirlwind, and then the combined force of 18 boyz, a WAAAGH! Nob, and a Battlewagon manage to take off three wounds from the Terminator Captain. In retaliation he turns around and slices the WAAAGH! Nob from brains to fungal balls with a relic blade. Whoops, probably shouldn't have put the Nob in combat. The slugga boyz also wrap around and engage the Dreadnought, preventing it from escaping. On the other side of the field the shoota boyz kill a scout and maneuver into engaging the tactical squad without taking overwatch; in response they kill three boyz.

Turn 2 - Space Marines
The scouts smartly fall back by jumping off the tower they were on while the unengaged dreadnoughts retaliate. The Lascannon Dread takes aim and blows several wounds off the Dakkajet, but that's all that really happens in shooting before charges are declared. Combat is fierce between the tank and the slugga boyz; 2 orks die before the Nob tears apart the vehicle. The Terminator Captain succumbs to the volume of attacks before he can respond, but on the other flank the combined forces of tactical marines and dreadnought start to wear down the shoota boyz. In response the shoota boyz concentrate all of their attacks on the tactical squad, taking out enough that when my buddy rolls another boxcars for the Leadership test they are wiped out. At this point we've been playing for two hours, my friend doesn't have many forces left, and he concedes so we can do hobby stuff and pay attention to our neglected wives and children.

Turn 2 Total: Orks 8, Marines 0

Impressions
  • Orks are fun!
  • Battlewagons that are meant to go forward and murder stuff may not need guns. By the second turn I was embroiled in close combat and wasn't able to shoot.
  • The KFF Meks did nothing. Part of that was because my buddy was overwhelmed and didn't really focus fire, but I believe that given their high toughness those points might be better spent elsewhere.
  • Deffrollas are amazing. 6 S8 attacks that hit on a 2+, wound T4 on a 2+, and have a -2 to armor saves does a great job of eroding down marines.
  • Dakkajets seem really good for their points. They're surprisingly tough, put out an incredible volume of fire, and can maneuver all over the place.
  • I can see that Orks really suffer against tanks outside of Power Klaws. I may redo the list to eliminate the KFF Meks and put in Ghaz and Weirdboys to provide more maneuvering and impact.
  • I'm really starting to doubt if shoota boyz are worth it compared to the extra attack of slugga boyz, but I only got a few rounds of shooting in before I changed units.
  • The WAAAGH! Nobs really seemed to help, but they're expensive at 84 points each and I might want to hold off
  • This was my buddy's first game in nearly a decade, and his dice were absolutely abhorrent. Even if his tactical squads hadn't been wiped out due to us forgetting about the Marine morale benefit he really suffered.
  • I don't think any unit got cover or had LOS problems.
  • I think that Dreadnoughts with quad autocannons will be incredibly useful this edition. Being able to shoot 8 times and do 2 damage every wound is extremely powerful.
  • Small squads seem extremely vulnerable. My buddy has already said that he'll likely get rid of the assault squad.
  • The game is really great. Tight, well designed, and maneuvering plays a major role in getting the advantage against your foe. Things like maneuvering your units to engage forces you want to fight next turn, making sure aura effects are appropriately located, etc.
  • I think my friend really suffered by not focusing the dreads together and putting as much fire into the Battlewagons as possible.

All in all I had an incredible time, and I'm excited to play again!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

evilmiera posted:

Since people are asking about rules here, how many seeker missiles can you fire from a model per turn? As many as you want/have?

They look like separate weapons, so as many as you have.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

8TH EDITION BATTLE REPORT: CHAOS VS. NECRONS
:words:

So much better than my report!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nah man, I was just about to post--good report! It's been my experience that people tend to not care about the turn-by-turn so I just do the highlights unless there's something particularly tactically interesting about the game worth discussing. Also, more photos that show off cool game details and less "here is the table on turn X." The impressions are good though--very interesting to read.

I agree that the game is really tight now. Our 2,000-point game took just under 3 hours at a fairly leisurely pace, and while that's not super-fast, we also checked the game rules maybe once the entire time. HUGE improvement over 7th, where we'd check the rules a minimum of 3 times per game for some stupid corner case or USR.

Yeah I'll keep that in mind for the future. I can definitely see how highlights and analysis are the most interesting aspects. I'm just remembering the good ole' days of WD when they had really comprehensive (if horribly run) reports. But then again that was two decades ago.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

You can't target a character unless they're the closest unit. This includes for Overwatch.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Basically Overwatch is a free opportunity to declare a shooting attack against the target charging you. If you can't actually perform the attack due range, visibility, or targeting rules then it doesn't happen.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Master Twig posted:

Under the targeting characters section it says. "A Character can only be chosen as a target in the shooting phase if they are the closest visible enemy unit to the model that is shooting."

So, you can't normally target a character that's not the closest enemy unit, but, since overwatch is not in the shooting phase, they can be. Nothing in todays FAQ says otherwise.

Works for me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord_Hambrose posted:

A guy at my store was complaining how powerful Orks and Tyranids are now. What an amazing world we live in now.

mbisonyes.gif

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dibs for my next avatar.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cooked Auto posted:

They aren't.
Can't remember the specifics on the top of my head though.

They're two guns welded together and if you want to fire them both you take a -1 penalty to hit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteWolf123 posted:

It is. For some units. But not for open-topped transports carrying troops that move less than 6".

Mind you this is remembering poo poo from 5th edition...

A Battlewagon used to move 12", deploy 2" (effectively 3"), and then assault 6". 21" assault range. Add d6" with a WAAAGH!

Now Orks deploy within 3" of a Battlewagon, move 5", and then assault 2d6". 10" to 20" assault range, average of 15". Add d6" with a Warboss nearby.

So at least for Orks it's definitely reduced.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, I tried that for like a month. So gently caress it, why not respond?

Because it makes you look foolish. If you want something to go away you never respond to it. You ignore the comment, regardless of how tempting it is to defend yourself, and focus on what you want to talk about. Every time you respond to someone you are validating that person. Your reply is a clear indication that they got to you and that whatever they posted is important to you. I'm doing the same thing right now by posting this very message, because frankly I'm tired of how easily the thread gets derailed when people get under your skin.

Please keep posting battle reports. Those are great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

I made a 30k power fist sargeant, I think he's sweet as hell so I'm putting him here too.

Awesome, but he needs to be pointing the gun down.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Holy poo poo. That's loving terrifying.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Getting the covers laminated is something you could also think about, but with codexes in the pipe it might not be worth it for the indexes.

It's like $7 for everything. I love doing it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Now I want to see them fighting against an ork army convered from the AoS Bonesplitter orcs.

I picked up two models and holy poo poo they're huge compared to regular boyz.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Since there's no entry for a "Boss Nob" in the points index, the current interpretation is that one model in the squad gets a free upgrade (similar to a veteran/sergeant tax) at whatever the base model costs (plus the Nob's wargear, obv.) ...is this accurate to how other Ork players have been paying for Boss Nob upgrades in Boyz squads?

Yeah. It says somewhere else (I forgot where) that squad leaders are free upgrades.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
People who play Plastic Space Barbies different from me are Doing It Wrong and are Having Fun Badly. Sad!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Played a game of 8th today against Beer4theBeerGod. Called it after 2 because it was getting rush-hour-ish and I was getting destroyed. I had orks in face turn 1 and my IG could not kill stuff fast enough to do anything about it. I'm a little demoralized because he had control the whole game and I felt as if I had very little agency: it was the old pick up my models bit by bit while he rolls poo poo.

Good thing 8th is such a huge change from 7th.

EDIT - Oh, and my loving GW order got delayed in goddamn Lorton. So now I won't get to play with new plastic spacemen until tomorrow. Today sucks.

On the plus side that Asian restaurant was pretty tasty.

I think I learned a lot about how survivable Battlewagons are (extremely), but also how ridiculously potent meltaguns are when used properly. I think units of meltaguns (like Command Squads) in transports would be incredibly dangerous for the Guard. Drive up, unload melta squad, nuke enemy, repeat.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Any of our resident Ork players want to give me some advice? I am trying to draft a 1.5k list now indexes are out.

Regular warbikers? I love the aesthetic, but the only consolidated source of 8e unit info I can find considers them absolutely terrible, though it is 1d4chan wiki so they could be over reacting.

Koptas seem really, really expensive, over 80 points a pop for fairly innaccurate guns and a random number of attacks, what are the benefits to them? I have 3 aobr models and again, sweet as gently caress aesthetic so I'm just looking for a reason to field them.

A gun platform battlewagon? A few weeks before 8th dropped someone had the idea of loading a kff mek into a hardcase battlewagon, having it hang back with the killkannon and shokk gun and have it blast things while the mek keeps it safe and topped up. Anyone tried it yet? I feel like I might be able to get similar results for slightly cheaper if I swap the wagon for some mek guns, more accurate too.

I want the centrepiece of my army to be a Big Mek, Painboy and Warboss all on warbikes backed up by some nob bikers. Riding around tying stuff up to allow some big squads of boyz to foot slog up the map safely. Backed up by some of the above.

I'm not too bothered about having the absolute most optimised list but I don't want to spend my money and points on a terrible strategy or really bad units. So advice would be appreciated.

Nobody has played enough games to know if a unit is terrible or not. At best you can question how likely it is that something can be effective, but the hidden synergies and effects that this game can produce are likely going to require several months of effort. I wouldn't expect anything concrete to really be established until we see how a major tournament like NOVA works out. That said I have my own opinions on Orks and can share them.

As I see it Orks work really well when you overwhelm your opponent and don't give them enough time to damage you. They're extremely deadly but very fragile. I've had a lot of success (okay, two games, but they were two successful games) with slugga boyz in Battlewagons. The units are large enough to do serious damage, the vehicles can move fast enough to reliably get a 2nd turn assault, and it's fun to overwhelm your opponent. I've also been fairly happy with Dakkajets, who seem to over a nice combination of high damage (18 S6 shots with -1 AP) and maneuverability. I'm not sure how well your approach of tying up units with the bikers will work, as your opponent can always fall back (and shoot you with something else) and the boyz on foot will likely take an extra turn or two. One thing you can do that's pretty scary is use a Weirdboy to dump a squad of 30 shootas on your opponent's doorstep; with some lucky rolls you can get a first turn charge. You have a roughly 50% chance of getting the 9" with a regular reroll, and I haven't done the math yet but with a command point optionally letting you reroll one die if you get a high number it should be a bit higher.

As other have said the benefits of Deffkoptas is that they're fairly tough, have scouting abilities, and can deliver mortal wounds via Big Bomms. Personally I think Dakkajets are a better choice to fill that niche.

The problem with regular Warbikers is that they're expensive at 27 points each. Now you get a lot for that 27 points, including improved speed, +1T, +1W, a half-range big shoota, and a 4+ save, but it's still the price of four sluggz boyz. Nobs on warbikes, on the other hand, are definitely interesting. While expensive at 42 points each their ability to carry large weapons like power klaws or big choppas makes them a significant threat to the type of high toughness, high wound targets that are normally a challenge for Orks. Whether or not they're superior to other options (like regular Nobz riding a truck or Battlewagon) remains to be seen.

Here's the latest iteration that I'm thinking of for my 1500 list:

HQ: Warboss on Bike w/ Shoota, Power Klaw, Attack Squig
HQ: Warboss on Bike w/ Shoota, Power Klaw, Attack Squig
HQ: Big Mek on Bike w/ KFF

T: 20 Boyz w/ Sluggas, Nob w/ PK
T: 20 Boyz w/ Sluggas, Nob w/ PK
T: 30 Boyz w/ Shootas, 3 Big Shootas, Nob w/ PK & Kustom Shoota

HS: Battlewagon w/ 'Ard Case, Deff Rolla
HS: Battlewagon w/ 'Ard Case, Deff Rolla

FL: Dakkajet w/ 6 Supa Shootas
FL: Dakkajet w/ 6 Supa Shootas

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Thanks for the ork advice everyone!

I've got a nice little 1.5k list now, Warboss on bike, big mek with kff on bike, painboy on bike (these will be fun conversion projects), 3 squads of 3 nob bikers, 3 squads of 30 boyz, 3 Kustom Mega Kannons with a regular Mek to keep them cooled off. It feels like it should have the tools to tackle most things.

Though, I've given all the bikers big choppas instead of klaws, because they are 1/3 the cost and have the same ap and average damage as klaws, don't have the -1 to hit that klaws do either.

A Big Choppa is -1 AP, a Power Klaw is -3 AP. Huge difference.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

I agree. My friends still want to play with points (and points definitely have some advantages, like sometimes I want to take a heavy bolter devastator squad instead of a lascannon one and shouldn't have to pay the lascannon price) but it's way easier to just put on whatever the gently caress I want for wargear and roll with it.

I think it could definitely be expanded on with more +PL options. Like how a techmarine's servo harness adds +1 PL. Having an anti tank devastator squad be at 7 and an anti infantry one be at 6 could work. But it would get messy and I understand why they wouldn't do it, there's just some things (Like bolter or shotgun scouts) which will never see the light of day with PL.

I don't like it because it requires that I max out units that I don't want to max out. For example with PL a Battlewagon costs the same if it has nothing or if it has a Deff Rolla, 4 Rokkit Launchas, Grabbin' Klaw, Wrecking Ball, Zzap Gun, and a Killkannon. For most units that's not a big deal, but the lack of granularity on some of the more expensive options is frustrating.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

my kinda ape posted:

When would you be hitting on 4+ with a hydra?

When shooting at a Dakkajet? The Hydra has a BS of 4+, +1 to hit Flyers, -1 to hit the Dakkajet because of Hard to Hit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TwingeCrag posted:

Stormboyz are literally manned anti-aircraft rockets now. This timeline is getting better :unsmith:

Plus they don't have the -1 to hit because Hard to Hit only applies to the Shooting phase.

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much my complaint too. I've always been more inclined to take more models over upgrading what I have. Power doesn't work for me and while it may work fine for units like tactical squads who get minimal upgrades, others like Death Company, Vanguard, Sternguard, Nobs, etc. can break the system pretty easily. It's very imprecise and the difference between points and power can be quite huge. You can almost get three basic carnifexes for the price of one haruspex in points while in power you can only get two.

Power seems to make sense for new players and that's about it. I won't be playing like that and I've already written points values in and around the unit entries in my indices to make list building easier.

It's a cool system for things that are quick and fun, but I really don't expect to see it outside of fast and casual games. Plus it means having to modify my tanks rather significantly.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Solid article. Honestly it still feels like 40K to me, just a faster, more modern, far more brutal 40K. And that's a good thing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone happen to have some Zzap guns and the turret mounts that they're willing to sell/trade? I need three more.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
poo poo, if it's that bad I might cancel my preorder for the books. How are you guys finding this stuff out?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

There's really no shortage of people coming back after 10 year breaks right now.

It definitely got me, that's for sure.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Yep. Game looked exciting again rather than frustrating.

I particularly like how I have options instead of meta lists.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TKIY posted:

It is just a matter of time until the netlists take over. The key to 8th is how quickly and decisively GW reacts.

Forgeworld already seems to have some broken things, so hopefully they react quickly.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I find it hilarious that Company Veterans can dual-wield combi-weapons.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeast posted:

Although the lack of exorcists would make dealing with big nasties at range an issue. Otherwise it's very, very solid.

Range doesn't seem to be much of an issue with this edition.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So are the models in the new starter kits the same as what was sold in Dark Imperium?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thundercloud posted:

The new £50 starter is Dark Imperium minus two sprues and the hardback book.

The new £20 starter is one each of the new Easy Assemble sprues.

Go figure I just bought the Primaris Marines off of eBay for $65. Then again I'd be paying more for models I didn't want.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 26, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm wondering exactly how viable Primaris marines will really be given how expensive and yet seemingly easy to kill they are. What are they designed to counter? Intercessors are 20 points each, Inceptors are 75, and Hellblasters are 38 each. That's a lot of points.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

But can it stop a horde of gants?

Nothing can. Don't even bother unpacking your army.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My concern was less about durability and more about firepower, say compared to a regular tactical squad.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

I mean, chutche has a cupola good points. Hitting a Space Marine with plasma removes "one wound," while hitting a Primaris with it removes "two wounds." However, the main difference is that you're usually not going to hit a regular marine with plasma, so it's kind of a non-issue. For other weapons, a Primaris has a better chance of surviving flamers and grenades. Having two attacks, even with no dedicated CQC units yet (besides the new Skullmachetes), also helps them survive better on the assault, which can be important when dealing with fight-happy armies.

Getting Primaris into assault against anything intended for close combat seems like a terrible idea to me. They are no more effective than a regular 10 man tactical squad, and being only 5 guys means they can be surrounded and locked.

At least the flying dudes can escape and shoot the following turn.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

That's true. I meant more getting them through turn 1 of the assault so you can disengage, not intentionally getting into the mix.

The Inceptors can't charge after falling back, right? Only shoot? I know there are rules for keywords like Fly, but I can't find them in the previous rulebook leak.

Yeah they can only shoot after falling back. All Flyers have that ability, plus they can ignore models that surround them since Flyers Give No Fucks. The big problem is that an Inceptor is 75 points per model yet only have 2 wounds at T5 and a 3+. IMO what makes Inceptors nasty is their significant damage output coupled with their maneuverability. On average an Inceptor squad is going to be killing 10 orks every round (24 shots, 16 hits, 10 wounds), so if you can maintain that 18" range while doing so it provides a reasonable chance of avoiding getting charged. In other words you're paying 225 points to kite a unit.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Honestly, regular Marines have been outperforming the Primaris in a pretty significant way. In order to make them more competitive, I think they're going to need wargear options and a transport that can compete with a Razorback to start replacing them. Right now, even ignoring their lack of transports, their inability to grab wargear options really hamstrings their battlefield role flexibility. Unless future Primaris can take tactically specialized weapon equivalents in the Intercessor squads, I just don't think they're going to be widespread upgrades to conventional Marine lists.

Hellblasters, on the other hand, have been quite good. Their weapons are very good.

Primaris marines strike me as the fluffy, easy-access army that is designed to teach new players how to play and paint but really struggle to exploit the mechanics of 8th edition. They lack the punch to take on heavy-hitting opponents like Land Raiders or Battlewagons and they lack the firepower to take on hordes like Guard, Gaunts, or Orks. Obviously a big part of this is their lack of options and it will be interesting to see what the new releases bring to the table, but I guess they really are meant to work with the fluff of being SM killers.

I haven't played against them yet, but I'm getting them soon and my goal is to use them as my "gently caress it I want to paint something quick" break from the never-ending slog of painting ork boyz that is currently my life. I don't expect them to do well, but I think it should be a fun way to get some casual games in. Also I'm hoping to run into a few super-spergs who get all pissy that the Marines Malevolent got Primaris Marines. I'll just say they intercepted a shipment intended for the Lamenters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm a Metro-bound DC goon, and Dream Wizards in Rockville has a burgeoning new playerbase as well. I know the place has a bad reputation but the players are great and we cleaned repainted the place so it isn't a dingy stinkhole anymore. Wednesday nights is mini gaming night.

If the goonmeet day is somewhere I can get to, I'm interested.

Worst case scenario if it's not near a metro someone (like me) might be able to pick you up from a stop.