Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I'm thinking of starting another army, but I'm not sure which one =/

I'm looking for a melee focused force that still has some diversity to it. World Eaters seem great for the melee part, but 3 units of berzerkers in rhino's + and spamming all the same terminators doesn't. Orks, I'm afraid of 100+ boys. Is an army of big dredds and meganobs a thing? What are other options are there for melee armies not needing transports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

I'm going to go out on the limb here and say the positive changes to baby marines is one last financial push to clear old excess inventory before they're all official discontinued.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

They could just sell old marines at a discount

Lol

Excuse me..

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

Where do you all order your models from in the US? Miniature Market seems to be missing a lot of what I'm looking for, GW is out of stock on most things, and my FLGS doesn't do custom orders.

I recently tried Ministomp since no other place had what I was looking for. Everything is e-mail based, but they're quick with responding to stock inquiry, sending invoices, and shipping. Would recommend again. 4.2/5 stars

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Is there a cool guy discord for getting list advice, or if someone that plays Ultramarines I can DM? I hit up the goonhammer articles, but still feel like idk what I'm doing.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Kitchner posted:

I mean you can always post questions here and people will do their best to help. What are you struggling with?

I've been out of the game since 5th, so my sense of how the game is played and what is considered good is all outta wack. I don't know how to judge when and where I'd rather use intercessors, or infiltrators, or incursors (the coolest looking ones) and how those decision impact other aspects of list building.

From what I've gather online, ultramarines for example, general favor shooty lists that can disengage from melee. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this usually means intercessors, aggressors, and inceptors, all of which are using some variation of bolters. When do I know I'm being too redundant and once you build a solid core, how do you branch off an all-comers list?

So far I've come up with this for 1000 points that I can hopefully build off of;
+ HQ +
Primaris Chaplain: 2. Catechism of Fire, 5. Recitation of Focus, Litany of Hate, March for Macragge, Stratagem: Master of Sanctity

Primaris Lieutenant (Indomitus): Warlord

+ Troops +
Intercessor Squad: Bolt rifle
4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +
Aggressor Squad: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant
Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

+ Fast Attack +
Inceptor Squad: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

Inceptor Squad: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

++ Total: [48 PL, 5CP, 1,000pts] ++

It seems fine enough to me, but I get wildly different advice about adding firstborn marines (not gonna happen), terminators(also not gonna happen), assault intercessors - why them over normal intercessors, or infiltrates?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Kitchner posted:

Said some stuff..

I know what you mean about using everything you buy. I have a pretty limited budget for hams so that's definitely something I think about.

I originally had a unit of Eradicators and had 6xagressors and 3xaggressors, but I was told my list would be too slow.

How does this look?

Battle Size: 2. Incursion (51-100 Total PL / 501-1000 Points)

+ HQ +

Primaris Chaplain: 2. Catechism of Fire, 5. Recitation of Focus, Litany of Hate, March for Macragge, Seal of Oath, Stratagem: Master of Sanctity, Warlord

Primaris Lieutenant (Indomitus)

+ Troops +

Incursor Squad: Haywire Mine, Incursor Sergeant
5x Incursor: 5x Bolt pistol, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Occulus bolt carbine, 5x Paired Combat Blades, 5x Smoke Grenades

Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad: 3x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant
Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought: 2x Twin lascannon

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad: Eradicator Sgt
2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Melta rifle

++ Total: [55 PL, 5CP, 996pts] ++

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

I haven't use these, but this guy makes a bunch of faction specific and generic transfers that may interest people.

https://www.themightybrush.com/product-category/waterslide-transfers-decals/

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Anyone have a source on a thunderhammer .stl that includes a hand? Popgoesthemonkey only works with shapeways and their quality isn't super great.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

EdsTeioh posted:

Have you ordered from them in the past? Is it bad? I've got a bunch of White Scars poo poo in my cart there but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I've ordered Shoulder pads and heads in the past that were "fine", but it all comes down to which material the individual shop allows. There's a pretty big difference between whatever their "smooth" and "extra smooth" is. I have access to a resin printer, so those would be the cheapest, quickest, best quality for me, but shapeways is definitely serviceable.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

After get some list advice a few pages back I committed to my idea of starting marines, but decided to mix it up a bit. Hope everyone is okay with females marines, if not, oh well~

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Stephenls posted:

Finding properly-sized heads for female marines is really, really difficult. Stormcast heads are just slightly too small. Here's my attempt at same:

In any case, those look rad.

Finding the right heads has been tricky. I do have some of the female stormcast heads. The ones I ended up with are from shapeways. The guy has small/medium/large sizes and advertised the mediums were primaris size. I'm actually okay with the size as if you were to take a primaris helmet, it looks like the head would actually fit in it. I think GWs non-helmeted heads would never fit in an empty helmet. The head and helmet are the same size.

I should have bought both mediums and larges to see which was best, but I was being cheap and trusted the store. I'm happy enough with them that it's not worth going back to try the large ones. Having some big heads and some small heads would look really awkward.

Your female marines got me motivated to do these, so thanks for that.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Stephenls posted:

Oh!

Those are the Warfaces line by Aural's Gaming Workshop, right? I checked those out at a friend's request a bit ago.

So. The store entries say the small Warfaces heads are 5mm tall, the medium ones are 6mm, and the large ones are 7mm. Checking a handy sprue of unused Intercessor heads with a ruler, I can see that the bald Intercessor heads are 7.5mm tall, and the one with hair is 8mm. So I don't know why he's advertising the medium ones as as the right size for Primaris marines, because even the large ones are still slightly too small.

(I should order a set of those, actually. They'd probably be better than the Stormcast heads, anyway.)

Yeah, they're the WarFace3 - Covenant ones. Oddly the ones that are supposed to be sisters of battle seem more appropriate than the standard female ones. I also got a set of the WarFace 2 - Mixed females and half of them are about useless because of the way the hair has been sculpted. They don't sit properly on the torso. I've even created a rubber tubing/turtle neck as to fill the original hole for the standard head. I wouldn't bother with the Warface2s.

Good to know about the primaris though. I didn't have any primaris to measure from, but I still feel okay with what I got. I'd be interested to know the measurements of the primaris helmet as a comparison to see if the 7.5mm GW head would actually be able to fit in that helmet or not.

Alokgen fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 3, 2020

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Stephenls posted:

It's not that the heads are too big; the helmets are too small. This is normal in, uh, "heroic" media -- superheroes and any action SF or fantasy with fully enclosed helmets. For example, for Civil War, Chadwick Boseman (R.I.P.) had a practical Black Panther suit but they used CGI afterward to shrink the helmet down (10% or something) in all his scenes. (And then in Black Panther and the Avengers movies they just switched to a CGI suit and proportioned everything including the helmet like skintight spandex.) Realistically thick helmets make superheroes in full armor look goofy, and Primaris Marines are absolutely following superheroic proportion rules. So if you use a head small enough to realistically fit inside a Primaris Space Marine helmet, then if the helmet isn't on, the head will look too small on the body... and, obviously, you're only using that head if the helmet isn't on.

(Ironically, this isn't really a problem with non-Primaris Space Marines, who aren't following superheroic proportion rules.)

Thats true, I supposed. I'm curious if it would look awkward if you have mixed squads where you were using the Large 7mm female heads alongside the GW helmeted marines as they'd probably seem the same size. At least with the Mediums the marines with helmets on would be proportionally larger than those without helmets. I don't plan to use the male faces, but I also don't know if I want to paint 40+ lady heads, so some are eventually going to have helmets on.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Stephenls posted:

See my edit above; I was measuring wrong. Looking more closely at the Warfaces entry, there's a size image that makes clear those 5mm, 6mm, and 7mm measurements are from chin to top of head, not neck. Going by chin to dome, Primaris Marines are 6mm bald or or 6.5~ish with hair, so the medium ones probably are correct, and the issue is the neck being too long. I think I'll order a set of those medium ones and experiment with cutting the neck down.

I plan to cut the neck down a bit on my next go. Like I mentioned in a previous post, some of the hairstyles do make that tricky as they follow the neckline pretty close or come in front below the jawline. It can result in having to sit the head further back in the torso. Something to consider.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Stephenls posted:

Few things would make me happier at this point.

Anyway, pulled the trigger on ordering Warfaces3 The Covent and Warfaces2 Mix Female, both in medium size. We'll see how this goes.

Definitely keep us posted. I'm very interested in how they turn out.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

I'm just glad there are enough independent options that make it possible to do your own female marines and there are communities out there willing to be open minded enough to at least accept, or embrace the idea even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Contrast over big flat panels is iffy, but good enough to move on to the next thing.