Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I can't wait to waste the next twenty years of my life reading about this game, painting the models, and I guess playing it occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah, first post mans!

Really need to take some Deathwatch pics soon!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

90power means it'll be roughly 1800 points, feel bad for that dude that owns two for some reason.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Only Deathwatch dreads lost Multimeltas. Any dread can be a Ven Dread; if you're mixing normal and venerables, just make sure the fanciest ones are the Venerables.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Grey Knights and Deathwatch don't get Primaris, but the others can take them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

JBP posted:

HH players are massive loving grognards and probably wouldn't buy them.

Not in my historical wargame!

That's not the proper size for Ultramarines in late M30.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It's a little unclear but that's how I read it. Definitely could use a FAQ.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

They can just charge you from 8.01" away, and there's enough bonuses to charge and command rerolls that an 8+ isn't too hard to get.

Xarlaxas posted:

Yeah, I think that it definitely could. For FAQs do we just spam the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page with questions or is there a specific e-mail address or something?

My rule of thumb with ambiguous rules tends to be "read the definition of the rule as whatever is worse for me, personally" so I suspect we're both right that it won't be so easy to get a turn 1, no overwatch, rear charge from deep-striking Warp Talons with Lightning Claws. :(

Spam the Facebook page, from the looks of it.

Also: I've not seen this one yet in here:

Macharius Vulcan: If this model does not move during the Movement phase, in the preceding Shooting phase, change this weapon's Type to Heavy 30 until the end of the turn.

40k's complicated enough without time travel.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It can't have the Death Guard keyword, but you can give it the Nurgle and Guardians of Death Keyword and take it in a Heretic Astartes, Nurgle, or Chaos detachment along with Death Guard. It won't get any Death Guard rerolls, though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

moths posted:

Did they just forget to include the points costs for the Black Sword and the Sword Brother in a Crusade Squad? It seems like Black Templars points got rolled into basic Marines halfway and then they quit.

Special Characters typically have the wargear included, and Sergeant level upgrades are almost always free, aside from Space Wolf Terminator Wolf Guard.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think he's posted here since he blew up at the people talked about how FW deserved ridicule despite Alan Bligh's declining health.

In Nova Open news, GW is hosting a preview seminar on the Wednesday before the con! They've put free tickets up, grab them if you're coming!

https://novaopenstore.com/NoVACart/Home/EventContainer/15

Duncan's also doing a number of painting seminars. They probably won't be very advanced, but I'll probably try to go to one or two to make the four people who play 40k in my county jealous.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 29, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Luebbi posted:

Got a couple questions for you guys!

Khorne Berserkers get to attack twice. If they charged, do they get both sets of attacks before the enemy?

My buddy is interpreting the multi charge and formation rules in such a way that he can ignore formation for charges, and then has to try to get back in formation in his next movement phase. This resulted in said Berserkers multicharging the genestealers that shocked in behind them, and the gaunts in front, leaving a 12" gap between both halves of the same unit. I'm sure that's not how it works, how can I convince him?

Finally, what's a good app to handle tons of diceroling with rerolls? I'd really like to automate things like 30 devilgaunts - 90 shots rerolling 1's on hit and damage is a pain to roll manually and takes tons of time.

There's not a whole lot of guidance for the double attack rule. They either get to attack twice with charger's priority in the same activation, attack twice with the chargers but with two different activations, or they get to attack once with the chargers and once with the ongoing combats. You gotta figure it out for yourselves until the FAQ comes out.

You have to maintain coherency any time the unit make any sort of move, so no 12" gaps, that's on page 1 of the Core rules. You also can only target units you charged on the turn you charged, so the Berserkers can't pile into a new target and attack them with their second attack.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

JoshTheStampede posted:

So I've been out of the game for so long that I don't even really know if this sort of thing is acceptable so I'll ask here. If I painted all my marines in one chapter scheme (sharks), but had some notation (like base rim colors or something) to show that some were Raptors and some were Raven Guard, so that I could use the appropriate characters, is that frowned upon? Am I a cheesemaster for considering it?

I wouldn't like it as I find rim colors really ruin a model's look.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'd probably just do the marines in a different scheme altogether, there's got to be some other chapter you like other than the Space Sharks. Why do you want to run Raptors, anyway?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It warranted an article on Warhammer Community, it's a pretty big mechanical shift.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Bee posted:

Hive Crones don't have the Supersonic pivot rule, at least, so you could theoretically fly right back around in a big circle. However, that would probably just get you counter-charged next turn, so if wanting to go all-in on wing slashes it's probably best to take a large move and return fire, then charge the turn after.

Units with a minimum move have to end their movement at least that far away from the starting position, so you can't just double back around and not move. You are forced to fall back.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Crotch post:

Have fun charging my demolishers, Beer4thBeerGod's ork boyz.

Did you find a good way to magnetize them or are they permanent?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

:arghfist::zoid:

e: no really this happened?

Nid special characters die and are reborn all the time.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

TKIY posted:

Some guy just went 5-0 in a UK GT with this list:

Yncarne
Yvraine
Farseer
Maugan Ra
3 beastmasters
5 kabalites
149 Razorwing flocks

8th edition ladies and gents.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Those Ogryn look good, gives me a real Doom Cyberdemon vibe. Can't wait to see your army at Nova!

I've been meaning to take more pictures of my stuff; kinda dropped off once I stopped doing oaths. Here's some Deathwatch Termies I've been working on:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Getting ready to move to the Miami, FL area. Any 40k goons around there, or anyone familiar with the local scene / stores? Apparently there is a tavern / game store which sounds like an awesome combo (in theory).

Which neighborhood of Miami? I'm up in West Palm Beach.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Kendall. Still researching area to see what my options are for gaming.

That's a bit further south than I'm familiar with, but I think most people down there play at the Silver Dragon Tavern. I've never been myself but it sounds interesting! Join the Paradox 40k (and Paradox 30k if you're into that) groups on Facebook, that's what most people seem to use to organize games down there.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Pendent posted:

Space Marines by the end of the month, eh? The cover of the new books looks pretty sweet.

Now the question is if my Blood Angels will be in there. They're breaking Grey Knights into their own book but they also have very little overlap with other Space Marines.

They did an FAQ for it as well, Blood Angels are getting their own book.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/codexes-your-questions-answered-july-5gw-homepage-post-2/

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

I didn't see the last Space Marines codex, how did Chapter Tactics work? For example, what would I have been able to do with my Howling Griffons?

They were a pair of rules that applied to all the Space Marines in a particular detachment, so you could have had a detachment of White Scars, which allowed them to leave nearly freely leave combat and ignore cover/add a save when riding a bike.

For your Howling Griffons, you'd just declare you're using one of the chapters with rules, so your Griffons could be played with the Ultramarines rules, for example. People tended to follow the geneseed lineage, but really that could be for anything. I've seen people play Ultramarines "8th Company" using the White Scars rules.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Soggy Chips posted:

Oh sweet. Leaks aren't :filez: right? If you've got it handy...
Not that I'm in a huge rush to spend 22 pounds on a single monopose mini. Interested to see the conversions people make

I think they're exactly the same as a regular Librarian but with an extra wound.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I've been treating large pieces like that as statues.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Strobe posted:

Basically. Two Chainswords each is going to be my go-to Death Company squad, with maybe the sergeant having a Thunder Hammer (and a Chainsword). Roll a shitload of dice on the charge (what, five attacks each?), plus the jump pack mortal wounds for charging. It won't kill tanks with any kind of reliability, but it'll do enough.

I wouldn't build any with the double chainswords until the codex comes out. I'd give it 50/50 shot that survives the real book.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I can't imagine why charging with them would be a good idea, unless it's against units that can barely fight back.

I think the idea is to jump up, blow away a bunch of tactical marines or gaunts or whatever, then charge into some biovores or devastators. The enemy can either stick around or run, but they're not shooting, and you can fall back once it's your turn again and still shoot.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

xtothez posted:

GK are probably one of the first books out so they can get their own bigmars, otherwise there's not really any reason to replace the index so soon.

I'm guessing they actually won't be gettting anything primaris, and that's why they're getting a quick codex, nothing new on the horizon.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

Is there a way to magnetize/build sentinels so they can be either armored or scout? The only sentinel I have came pre-built.

Not easily, no. I doubt most people would care if you're proxying them, though, as long as you're not taking both kinds.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'm actually kind of excited for Reivers being available to the Deathwatch, they're actually cheaper than a normal Kill Team vet. Hopefully they get something like Infiltrate or Scout to get a little more mobility.

HardCoil posted:

I just don't understand the concept of "stripped down" MK X armour giving exactly the same save as normal?

The game's not granular enough; it's closer to power armor than carapace armor.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Definitely need this song to be track 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE1wSSZ-iFs

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It matches better than you think after it dries, though it is a tad greener. Vallejo Game Color should have an equivalent to the old Citadel, called Dead Flesh.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Finished up another batch of Deathwatch!

First up are two Captains:

Alternate loadout:

Then a pair of Blackshields

And finally a Kill Team:

The Frag Cannons are from Anvil Industries, and I think the Dark Angel successor dude might be the first model from Dark Vengeance that I've painted, despite owning it for almost 5 years now.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'm going to use a CP to reroll my CP recovery roll.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Looks like that short bolter at least comes with a cool muzzle flare to paint up.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The syntax would be <UNIT>, you awful, awful man.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It's been more than half a decade since I last called, but just call up customer support, they'll ask where you got it and ask for a number off the box, and they'll send you out a new one.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

He is aware you are a sex cannon right?

I shared a bed with Mr. Cannon one cold DC summer night, and woke up mostly intact. Never told my wife about it, though...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think it's at a points premium over a regular power axe, though.

And I waited like a fool and the main hotel for Adpeticon is already booked; I'll have to slum it in a neighbor hotel like the C.H.U.D. I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Sex Cannon posted:

you dummy

i gave a heads-up in the thread and everything

I blame WOM as he was/is noncommittal to going; I should have just done it anyway. There was barely still room at the Marriott on the other side of the highway so I snagged one of those. Hopefully no one throws cans at me as I walk down the road with my nerd poo poo.

Agentdark posted:

How many people would care if I put 10 of my guard basic conscripts on square bases as I ran out of circle bases from building my inquisition agents on the circle bases?

20mm squares are almost the same size as 25mm rounds. Regardless all conscripts should be on square bases, to better match in formation as their bodies choke the rivers of their enemies.