Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

wei, baby

Tsao Tsao knows

the mystical lord? ED BALLS.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
TIME FOR ME TO SHILL A GAME

I always wanted dynasty warriors online to be a thing and not shut down in the west but lol koei dumb

so here

http://store.steampowered.com/app/534500/Tiger_Knight_Empire_War/

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Meng Huo? More like GTFO

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i found a podcast about the three kingdoms period and all the episode titles are really funny, ill tell this thread if its any good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cao Cao is most like Trump

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

etalian posted:

Nah, trump is yuan shao

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Bernie would have won (the battle of guandu)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Bro Dad posted:

Nah, trump is yuan shao

This man is correct.

makes u

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

cao cao >>>>> gaun yu > liu bei >>>> zhang fei

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
id rather discus water margin or dream of the red chamber

who is the best friend among the 108 heroes? the one who doesn't frame you for murder or try to kill your mentor to get you to join their gang

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

there is no question about water margin

it is the drunk monk who talks to the fish who is his new best friend

god I wish the rest the show adaption was translated

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

bump_fn posted:

googling "three kingdoms mpreg" was a mistake

i respectfully disagree

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I remember playing destiny of an emporer on nes when I was like 10 and being confused as hell.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Cao Cao won. He won the Three Kingdoms.

That means he's the best.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bro Dad posted:

read the ravages of time

Sold.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

actually im just gonna keep posting more of it if that's cool

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Ma Chao > Zhao Yun

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ali Alkali posted:

id rather discus water margin or dream of the red chamber

who is the best friend among the 108 heroes? the one who doesn't frame you for murder or try to kill your mentor to get you to join their gang

I finished reading Water Margin just to make sure Li Kui died.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol just lol if you sympathise with the fatuous bandit Liu Bei.

Sun clan, fun clan.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bro Dad posted:

Nah, trump is yuan shao
Trump is Dong Zhuo, and Mike Pence is his Lü Bu, horse bribery and all.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is water margin actually interesting all i know bout the three kingdoms is from playing dynasty warriors but the suikoden games arent quite as historical

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's a bit more esoteric than the romance of the three kingdoms tbh.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

bump_fn posted:

is water margin actually interesting all i know bout the three kingdoms is from playing dynasty warriors but the suikoden games arent quite as historical

I finished reading it a month or two ago. I read Three Kingdoms beforehand (and am reading Journey to the West now)

It was okay for me. The first part of the book is it kind of hopscotching from character to character telling the tales of how they got wildly hosed and had to turn to banditry or whatever. Some of them are pretty sympathetic early on, or at least stupid in an entertaining way. Sagacious Lu Da is a good example in that he is an rear end in a top hat but generally only kills 'bad' people and beyond that 'just' beats the innocent because he gets mad drunk and can't live by rules to save his own life.

The focus characters rapidly get worse.

You end up with dudes brutally murdering innocents, or literally tearing ladies to shreds. Usually for adultery because in Water Margin sleeping around is instant death. It got to the point that any time a named woman appeared in the book I was bracing for her inevitable grisly end. Eventually you get some real bastards in there like Li Kui and the bandits start using really terrible tactics to get people to join them. There are some real gems like "we killed the adorably 4 year old boy you were in charge of so you have no responsibilities now better join us lol" and "we posed as you in a false flag operation to burn a city down to the ground and they executed your family as a result I hear ur looking for work boi". Don't forget the general who betrayed the city he was defended because he wanted to marry the daughter of the governor there so he sided with the bandits and killed her entire family this is fine.

If a Liangshan Marsh bandit tells you "tell me X and I will spare your life" he is lying you are already dead

I am just scratching the surface here. Song Jiang was a monster and I am glad he was poisoned and died.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i've never played a dynasty warriors video game but im going 2 now because of this thread

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
if anyone hasn't seen the very long + good Chinese series of this from a couple of years back they oughtta, although the action is shot like ultraviolent Xena: Warrior Princess which is jarring and honestly exhausting to watch in some episodes (esp. Red Cliffs)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

jBrereton posted:

if anyone hasn't seen the very long + good Chinese series of this from a couple of years back they oughtta, although the action is shot like ultraviolent Xena: Warrior Princess which is jarring and honestly exhausting to watch in some episodes (esp. Red Cliffs)

It owns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNHnX4xsplo&t=1s

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The dude who plays Cao Cao in the series is incredibly loving good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Time for inspirational Cao Cao speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y06ehdYDycY

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ramc posted:

I finished reading it a month or two ago. I read Three Kingdoms beforehand (and am reading Journey to the West now)

It was okay for me. The first part of the book is it kind of hopscotching from character to character telling the tales of how they got wildly hosed and had to turn to banditry or whatever. Some of them are pretty sympathetic early on, or at least stupid in an entertaining way. Sagacious Lu Da is a good example in that he is an rear end in a top hat but generally only kills 'bad' people and beyond that 'just' beats the innocent because he gets mad drunk and can't live by rules to save his own life.

The focus characters rapidly get worse.

You end up with dudes brutally murdering innocents, or literally tearing ladies to shreds. Usually for adultery because in Water Margin sleeping around is instant death. It got to the point that any time a named woman appeared in the book I was bracing for her inevitable grisly end. Eventually you get some real bastards in there like Li Kui and the bandits start using really terrible tactics to get people to join them. There are some real gems like "we killed the adorably 4 year old boy you were in charge of so you have no responsibilities now better join us lol" and "we posed as you in a false flag operation to burn a city down to the ground and they executed your family as a result I hear ur looking for work boi". Don't forget the general who betrayed the city he was defended because he wanted to marry the daughter of the governor there so he sided with the bandits and killed her entire family this is fine.

If a Liangshan Marsh bandit tells you "tell me X and I will spare your life" he is lying you are already dead

I am just scratching the surface here. Song Jiang was a monster and I am glad he was poisoned and died.

i remember trying to read it. and its interesting but holy poo poo i got lost after a while. in my opinion, ancient Chinese literature has the same issue that alot of romantic era novels have. they go off on long tangents explaining the backstory of one of the characters cousins who will never come up again. Lü Bu is interesting though to an extent. he is like Achilles with out the powers and a bigger dick and turns on his allies at the slightest provocation. also i always assumed Liu Bei stayed pretty decent throughout.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Plutonis posted:

The dude who plays Cao Cao in the series is incredibly loving good.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

etalian posted:

first he beat the 10 eunuchs (re: GOP establishment) in order to achieve power. the coalition sent to stop him (re: the dems) was superior on paper but actually failed to accomplish its goal and fell to infighting immediately. now the idiot tyrant has burnt the capital to the ground (metaphorically don't get on my butt) and retreated to mar a lago. his faithful companion, Kushner, whom he treats like a son, will soon betray him over a love triangle involving Ivanka.

e: bernie is one of the yellow turbans who loses in the first chapter but was ultimately morally correct

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Cao Cao was competent, though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh wait I meant to quote the post comparing him to Dong Zhuo, lol.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Trump would totally let Xi sucker him into having tea for like 12 hours while he moved the Chinese navy into position.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

thats a cool horse

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i know like nothing about three kingdoms stuff. feels bad man

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

first he beat the 10 eunuchs (re: GOP establishment) in order to achieve power. the coalition sent to stop him (re: the dems) was superior on paper but actually failed to accomplish its goal and fell to infighting immediately. now the idiot tyrant has burnt the capital to the ground (metaphorically don't get on my butt) and retreated to mar a lago. his faithful companion, Kushner, whom he treats like a son, will soon betray him over a love triangle involving Ivanka.

e: bernie is one of the yellow turbans who loses in the first chapter but was ultimately morally correct

How much of that whole romance of the three kingdoms stuff actually true tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

most of the actual campaigns took place and the major characters mostly existed but zhuge liang was not a wizard of the five elements and probably didn't expertly 25th-dimensional checkmate everyone he ever faced in battle

you can get translations of the novels that have annotations for various events that clarify the actual history of them, which is pretty cool

• Locked thread