Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Luo Guanzhong said it was 70-30 history:fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

the bitcoin of weed posted:

most of the actual campaigns took place and the major characters mostly existed but zhuge liang was not a wizard of the five elements and probably didn't expertly 25th-dimensional checkmate everyone he ever faced in battle

you can get translations of the novels that have annotations for various events that clarify the actual history of them, which is pretty cool

link

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008

bump_fn posted:

is water margin actually interesting all i know bout the three kingdoms is from playing dynasty warriors but the suikoden games arent quite as historical

i have only read water margin in swedish while i read three kingdoms in english but i found water margin a lot better. it is a lot of different folk storeys put together in one narrative, the book are quite violent and remind you a lot of the icelandic sagas, poster ramc basicly spoiled some parts but in a folks context most of the scenarios are funny. it is really good

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Kingdo...=three+kingdoms

This edition really spoils you with footnotes. I really liked it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

most of the actual campaigns took place and the major characters mostly existed but zhuge liang was not a wizard of the five elements and probably didn't expertly 25th-dimensional checkmate everyone he ever faced in battle

you can get translations of the novels that have annotations for various events that clarify the actual history of them, which is pretty cool

the best parts of dynasty warriors is seeing how they depicted the various strategists as wizards shooting lightning and tornadoes at millions of dudes

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Records_of_the_Three_Kingdoms

written by a primary source no less

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Iirc there are records of those wizards using the weather to help them in Sea battles

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Reality Winner posted:

Iirc there are records of those wizards using the weather to help them in Sea battles

The actual historical record does matter-of-factly say Zhuge Liang did a ritual to make the wind blow from a different direction before the Battle of Red Cliffs.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
that's just a polite way of saying he ripped a massive fart

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The actual historical record does matter-of-factly say Zhuge Liang did a ritual to make the wind blow from a different direction before the Battle of Red Cliffs.

I don't doubt that he and everyone around him truly believed he was a weather wizard but I am here to say that zhuge kongming liang was not a weather wizard

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

I don't doubt that he and everyone around him truly believed he was a weather wizard but I am here to say that zhuge kongming liang was not a weather wizard

zhuge if true. im not liang

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jeb! Repetition posted:

and it worked? nice

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Who am I going to believe here, forums poster the bitcoin of weed, or real life historical Taoist wizard Zhuge "King" Kongming Liang?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zhuge Liang invented the repeating crossbow and the meat bun as well. Is there something that man can't do? (Answer: Keep an imbecile heir from ruining a country).

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
man without meat bun is not a real man -- ancient chinese proverb, probably

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 234 days!

Reality Winner posted:

man without meat bun is not a real man -- ancient chinese proverb, probably

:heysexy:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

Zhuge Liang invented the repeating crossbow and the meat bun as well. Is there something that man can't do? (Answer: Keep an imbecile heir from ruining a country).
Defeat the Wei.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ive given enough episodes a listen 2 decide this is a easy to understand kinda funny retelling of the romance of the three kingdoms and i highly recommend it so far

http://www.3kingdomspodcast.com/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
for balgoogan for posterity

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Third World Reggin posted:

for balgoogan for posterity

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them