Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I definitely think I agree that Urbosa's Song is the best one of the four; I also did it first, which made the other three feel gradually more and more disappointing by comparison. I enjoy most of the new content though, at least in terms of gameplay; narratively I find them... rather questionable, really. I'll refrain from talking about that more until you've finished showing it.

The Molduking is definitely weak to electricity. Trying to fight it without using any is a real exercise in frustration; that thing has an absolutely massive amount of health and just doesn't go down. Unfortunately beyond that it's not a terribly interesting fight, it's just a Molduga but more so. Of course, now that it's there, it'll respawn every Blood Moon along with the rest of the enemies (which is good in case you want to photograph it and forgot to, but might otherwise be a pain).

Even if they're pretty easy, I like the "pass through the rings" challenges, they're something novel and they do a good job reminding you of the different kinds of movement the game gives you.

And while they're still underwhelming overall, having set equipment loadouts for the boss refights actually does a good job of making them feel like a different sort of challenge. (Of course, you can still cheese them somewhat by eating buff food before going in...)

The cooldown-reduction reward is better than it sounds at first glance, too. It reduces the duration to 1/3 of what it was originally, just like the game normally does when you're in Hyrule Castle. That's already pretty good. Except... they stack! After you complete these quests, if you go into the castle it just gets utterly ridiculous. It only takes Revali 40 seconds to give you 3 more charges. Urbosa recharges in 1:20. Mipha can resurrect you every 2:40. It's absurd and really does make you feel unstoppable.

Edit: new page! The update's in the last post on the previous one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I'm pretty positive Molduking is weak to electricity because Urbosa's Fury absolutely destroys it. It also just fits the theme of Urbosa = electricity so it fits that Urbosa's power wrecks him. The game kinda sorta hints at this in Molduking's compendium entry, it mentions his skin is full of iron or something like that.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Thadius posted:

Eventually you stop using the one-hitter to destroy foes and start using a x5 Lynel Bow with Bomb Arrows to carpet bomb the areas.

I think if I were capable of getting x5 Lynel Bows, I would be a bit less apprehensive about trying this. :shepicide:

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS

Zopotantor posted:

I think if I were capable of getting x5 Lynel Bows, I would be a bit less apprehensive about trying this. :shepicide:

Lynels are where you go to put your dodge timing to work.

You succeed, or you die. There is no third option.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Thadius posted:

This has summed up this enemy in just about every incarnation of those little bastards, really. Just once, Nintendo, please stop being so brutal with them. :shepicide:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Thadius posted:

There is a third option.

The third option is you break all your weapons against the silver bastard and then run away like a bitch.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I did Urbosa's song last. While it would have been helpful to have quicker recharging Urbosa's Fury for the rest of the challenges, it was better to end on a high note I think.

I mentioned it before but I really love the Champion's Ballad. Aside from the first part. The first part sucked. The rest was amazing.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I thought on the whole, the DLC was fairly disappointing. I wound up doing it in the opposite order I did the Divine Beasts originally--Naboris, Medoh, Rudania, and Ruta. Word of advice for anyone who has not played the DLC yet, but intends to: Do not go to Naboris first and do not go to Ruta last. In terms of the narrative, doing that ends the game with less of a bang, and more of a wet fart.

It does seem on paper like you get a lot out of it--a total of sixteen additional shrines (a lot of which are admittedly pretty cool), plus a few other things I shan't mention yet, but then they just make you refight the main four bosses again... I don't know, it felt really overpriced to me for what we actually received.

Don't even get me started on the Trial of the Sword. We got that dungeon for free in every other Zelda game it was in (Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and ALBW right off the top of my head).

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Pack 2 ups the ante on esoteric clothing callbacks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like how the EX items are stashed in areas that tend to get overlooked in the main game. Central Hyrule is just "that place with all the robots that I sprint through" and Faron Woods most folks will barely leave the trail on their way to the horselands or the coast/falls. This stuff gives people a reason to go poke around a bit.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Hunting out the EX armor was one of the first things I did after looking up the stats on it. It's good stuff early on in the game that's fairly easy to get. Later on once you start leveling up normal stuff with the fairies it's not all that great though.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
The horse will actually eat apples out of your hands, so you can just take out five at a time and it'll gobble them up. Goes a lot faster that way.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I don't care what anyone says, that royal guard outfit is spiffy as all get-out and I love it.

Also berets signify badasses. Consider the US Army Special Forces, aka the Green Berets. Or the red berets worn by Spetsnaz.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

That was some impressive horsemanship; it took me so long to beat that bloody minigame (though do note you actually only got half the prizes, you'd have to do it again to get the matching bridle unfortunately).

:psyduck: I didn't know you could walk in the room above Ganon! I always assumed you'd trigger the battle if you went in, and used magnesis to grab the chest from the ledge outside.

I actually quite like the Royal Guard outfit. Aside from looking quite nice, its set bonus is actually a combination of the ones from the Climbing, Zora, and Barbarian sets (so it reduces your stamina consumption from climb-jumping, swim-dashing, and charged attacks). The individual sets are still better if you have them, but the Royal Guard stuff is surprisingly versatile if you grab it early on. It's also there to grab if you want a bit of extra defence in a straight-to-Ganon run.

Also, Bone Attack Up (which is on the Radiant set as well as the Phantom Ganon one) gives you 80% more damage when using skeleton arms... and also anything with Dragonbone in its name, which is significantly more practical. It also stacks multiplicatively with attack food, so you could boost damage by as much as 2.7x if you combine them; the same as Ancient Proficiency, only not quite as good because Guardian weapons are better than bone ones. Still, lots of fun :)

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Lazy Bear posted:

I don't care what anyone says, that royal guard outfit is spiffy as all get-out and I love it.
When that complete outfit was revealed, the first words that entered my head: "when does he get a Gundam"

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Isn't the current sidequest in order to get Link his own Gundam?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ThornBrain posted:

Pack 2 ups the ante on esoteric clothing callbacks.

The ring you get that lets you merge into walls is Ravio's, and he's from Lorule. I think "merge into wall and go sideways through the glowing cracks" is the only way to get from one universe to the other so. Yeah, He can climb sideways fast I guess.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I once did a no-teleporting run of the game just to see what the hero's path trail would look like and boy let me tell you having an on-demand horse with extra dashes was my best friend during that run. Sadly I'm a dumbass and I think I forgot to take a screenshot of the map when I was done collecting all the shrines.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Explopyro posted:

:psyduck: I didn't know you could walk in the room above Ganon! I always assumed you'd trigger the battle if you went in, and used magnesis to grab the chest from the ledge outside.

You can even walk down the stairs from that room and explore the throne room a bit.

Thorn, please tell us you didn't get Skippy to max affection by dropping single apples.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The sweaty part of Champion's Ballad is now ready to roll

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I thoroughly dislike the "stand in the lava" puzzle as game design. The lava is just deep enough that even with the block there, you're still forced to take damage (which is something I don't think this game does anywhere else). As far as I know you also can't get back without warping (either by phone, or lava-diving like you did), because the lava damage interrupts the startup for Revali's Gale and prevents you from launching; forcing you to warp is another thing that I can't recall the game doing elsewhere. (If I were going to fix it, I'd either make the lava shallower or the boxes bigger, so they'd protrude above and you could stand on them safely.)

Funny thing about all of these shrines - you can trivialise any of the puzzles involving fire if you have your Fireproof set upgraded to 2 stars or better. The set bonus not only makes you completely immune to fire damage, it also removes all the knockback, so you can just walk through all the flames and not give a gently caress. I think it's more fun to do them properly though.

(Actually the same thing applies to the electricity shrines in Urbosa's part too, you can just wear the Thunder Helm, an upgraded Rubber set, or drink a level-3 Electro potion and no-sell all the electricity. I think I forgot to mention that last time.)

The other thing I really disliked in this portion was what it did to Daruk's characterisation. There's his journal, in which he's written as an utter idiot who thinks about nothing but food all the time, and is incapable of understanding that humans can't digest rocks. Then there's the cutscene, which tries to convince us he's a badass by... humiliating some really easy bokoblins? And he's now terrified of dogs (admittedly, I don't mind this one as much, phobias are a thing). I think it's supposed to be a cute/comic-relief sort of thing, but Daruk was never really a comic relief character before and I found it incredibly jarring. I guess to some degree the panic-hiding solidifies his connection with Yunobo, but the whole point there before was that they weren't alike, so that's another case of the game undermining its own narrative.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I really like the little touch in Daruk's cutscene that he fights by doing a big spin attack followed by a ground slam with the sword, which is basically the exact same move set Link has with the goron weapons. I don't mind if it makes him seem a bit goofier, since he was always the 'funny' champion imo; Mipha, Revali, and Urbosa always seem much more serious than him in the scenes where you see the group together.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The big muscly guy as comic relief is a huge trope in Japanese media. It definitely feels like it's done to make them feel less threatening, but I can't say more beyond that because I'm just remembering 80 different animes and videogames, not referencing an exhaustive study.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Yep, still a loser.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
You know, I get a faint impression that you don't like birds.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Back in French class 20 years ago, I learned a song about a little girl dancing. Revali's theme has the same melody and I can't not hear it.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

The Bold Kobold posted:

You know, I get a faint impression that you don't like birds.

No kidding, I think you guys might have been too harsh on him. As Skippy rightly noted, he has insecurities about his skill and that seems to be a trait of the Rito as a race since Teba was stubborn about wanting to take Medo alone seemingly to prove himself. I get the feeling Revali and Mipha were the last Champions to be given characterizations hence why they have the least/weakest development.

The Zora may have had considerable work done for their arc as a race but Mipha's only notable trait is that she is attracted to Link and reminder Ruto had this trait as well.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Revali is smirking. They designed his character to have a permanent beak-smirk. I don't think he was ever intended to be likable.

e: Although there is this PTSD you tend to find in anyone that grew up with Ocarina of Time involving Kaepora Gaebora. I can excuse a little bird hate due to that.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 15, 2018

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
He only invented a technique for bird people to fly upwards without wind and granted you the use of it through his spirit, not like he did anything groundbreaking in his life worthy of recognition or anything...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
We've had that ability through use of a feather, a seed, and a much more likable bird. He ain't special.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the secret is beans

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

He's still a oval office.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Usually the arrogant character who is secretly vulnerable learns that he doesn't need need to be such an rear end in a top hat, but Revali doesn't even get that realization. He's as much of a jerk in death.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks to Kass, Revali's tale is now finally ready.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Thanks to Kass, Revali's fail is now finally ready.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Kibayasu posted:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Curse you!

Mostly because I should have thought to post that myself.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Gonna be expensive to get you guys out of Pun Prison.

The Revali bail is now ready.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
I'd yell, but this really is our fault. We blazed the Revali's trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
All that work just led to a pile of catalogs--Revali's mail is now ready.

• Locked thread