Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Incredible Machine is a very important game for me. I don't know exactly when my parents bought it for me, but it was probably among some of the first video games I ever played, right there alongside Tetris GB, Donkey Kong Land, and Chip's Challenge. I remember sitting down at our family's recently purchased Windows 95 computer and loading in that CD only to be taken into a world of moving parts, colors and funny noises. The game was a fountain of creativity like the BRIO train tracks or marble mazes I used to make when I was younger. It's no surprise then that the series hooked me as much as it did. I never had the The Incredible Machine 2 or 3, but I did get The Incredible Toon Machine at some point and my brain struggled to get that drat cat and mouse to cooperate and solve the puzzles. Never did beat that one.

A few years later, around the year 2000, I was gifted the latest game in the series: "Return of the Incredible Machine: Contraptions". I wasn't aware of it at the time, but this game was basically just a remake of the original with some puzzles from 2 mixed in but that didn't matter. See, the game looked great at the time. Gone were the more simplistic drawings--now the game sported lots of color, crisp music and was generally more fun (a good coat of paint went a long way here). I spent HOURS upon HOURS playing this game, eventually building somewhere around 50 of my own puzzles using the built-in editor. It was pretty much the perfect game for a ten-year old sciences-focused kid.

So seventeen years later, I bought it again. And that's what we're playing today.

Return of the Incredible Machine: Contraptions is a puzzle game about using Rube Goldberg machines to solve objectives. If you don't know what a Rube Goldberg machine is, it's basically an extremely overcomplicated process to do something very simple, taken from the namesake of the man who used to draw cartoons of such scenarios throughout much of the early to mid 20th Century. You're given a playfield, an objective and a number of parts in a parts bin to use to try and solve objectives. Ostensibly an edutainment game, you'll learn a bit about fire, explosions, cause and effect, light, projectile motion, and more as you play. And when you're done with the nearly 250 puzzles that await you, there's a built-in puzzle editor for you to make your own devious contraptions for others to play!

This wasn't intended to be a full LP with a thread or anything when I started playing it. I just wanted to stream the game for some of my friends. But after posting the first video from my stream to my Youtube channel, I received a very positive response from people on Twitter and Youtube so I figured that maybe there was some merit to actually posting this on SA after all. As such, this is an extremely casual stream LP of the game where the only intention is to have fun and talk about the game maybe only 50% of the time at most. I'll be joined by Faerie Fortune and Quantum Fizz, aka May for the duration of the LP. Expect that people might drop in and out of the recording and please understand that since this is recorded as a stream I do talk to the chat on occasion, though a chat window is not part of the videos. Additionally, since we're still recording videos for it, I can easily drop a link in the thread when we go live if anyone wants to catch the live recording.

I'll be playing through all of the puzzles in the game and taking a little time to mess with the editor. If anyone else owns this game and wants to make some puzzles for me to solve I'll do an episode at the end where I solve user-submitted puzzles. I might also look to download some random levels online if I can find any.

By the way, if this is hitting any of you in the nostalgia right now and you want to play or make puzzles for yourself, you can buy it on GOG.com for $3.29 until the 20th of June as part of their summer sale. After that it'll go back to being $10, which is still a great price considering you also get Incredible Machines 1, 2, and 3 with it.

Episode #1: Tutorial Puzzles, Part 1
Episode #2: Tutorial Puzzles, Part 2
Episode #3: Easy Puzzles, Part 1 - with Krysmphoenix
Episode #4: Easy Puzzles, Part 2 - with Krysmphoenix
Episode #5: Building our own Puzzles, Part 1 - with Krysmphoenix and a surprise Tyty
Episode #6: Medium Puzzles, Part 1
Episode #7: Medium Puzzles, Part 2
Episode #8: Medium Puzzles, Part 3 - with Krysmphoenix
Episode #9: Building our own Puzzles, Part 2 - with Krysmphoenix
Episode #10: Difficult Puzzles, Part 1 - with Krysmphoenix and Tyty
Episode #11: Difficult Puzzles, Part 2 - with Tyty
Episode #12: Difficult Puzzles, Part 3
Episode #13: Difficult Puzzles, Part 4
Episode #14: Building our own Puzzles, Part 3 - with PoorlyWrittenNovel
Episode #15: Expert Puzzles, Part 1
Episode #16: Expert Puzzles, Part 2
Episode #17: Expert Puzzles, Part 3 - with PoorlyWrittenNovel
Episode #18: Building Our Own Puzzles, Part 4 - with PoorlyWrittenNovel

FPzero fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I loved all these games, but I loved Sid & Al's Incredible Toons most of all.

I think we still have this box at home somewhere:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I forget, did they have the lasers in the first game?

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I would agree with the assessment of "edutainment game that is actually quite fun and creative" as I did end up playing this in elementary school, since a few science teachers found it and decided it would be fun to show off as a demonstration of basic physics and engineering principles, and I would often sneak off to play it during recess.

Also, I learned to enjoy certain forms of classical music from it as the introduction from Modest Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" is featured throughout.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They had this in the library back home, and it was *always* in use. I like those sorts of computer edutainment things where other kids can watch and participate.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The nostalgia is real. I just reinstalled Even More Contraptions the other day and I'm probably going to beat it now.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Oh poo poo, I have so many vague fond memories of this game, so this is what it was!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Now I want to reinstall it as well. I've got the collection on GOG already, and I have the CD of 2 somewhere in my collection of vintage games. I mostly loved playing around with the physics sliders in the later games.

I've also got Toon Machine around and similarly gave up on it when the physics clearly didn't seem to be working properly.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Loved that game. I only ever really played the original though. I think I played 2 or 3, but frankly I can't remember that one at all. I believe in that one the physics where glitched, so I could just cheese my way through most of the game.

But in this game, I have a memory of a certain weird item suddenly popping up in the building menu once. Either it was a special holiday Easter egg, or I might have been crazy at that time. There were like three or four puzzles, I was truly stuck on back in the day. I will probably recognize them once I see them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There's actually a new The Incredible Machine game on Steam. They no longer had the rights to the name so it's called Contraption Maker but it's straight up The Incredible Machine.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

gschmidl posted:

I loved all these games, but I loved Sid & Al's Incredible Toons most of all.

That one was definitely the best.

However, this one was great too. If I remember correctly this is the one that had lasers, mirrors and colour puzzles as well?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Lasers are definitely in this game. We'll be seeing them in the next episode.

SirSamVimes posted:

There's actually a new The Incredible Machine game on Steam. They no longer had the rights to the name so it's called Contraption Maker but it's straight up The Incredible Machine.

I actually have this but I never really played too far into it. Then again I think it was still in Early Access when I played it last so I'm sure it's much more like what I was looking for at the time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I never owned the original Incredible Machine but it was the best edutainment game on the computers in my grade school so, yeah.

Meanwhile, I bought Contraption Maker and have lived those yesteryears vicariously through it :getin:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Incredible Machine (or, as I called it, TIM) was a favorite of mine back on my old 486 box, and I'm delighted to learn that the franchise continued past the 3 games that I was aware of.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
For most of grade 7 this was pretty much the only thing people would play around with in Computer Lab class. It quickly went from solving puzzles to trying to knockout/kill people in the most hilarious way possible though. The ultimate sandbox game.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I picked this up from GOG ages ago but never really got into it because I couldn't work out even the basics of interaction. After seeing someone play a version of it, that got me through a few puzzles in all the versions GOG shipped with.

And holy cheese, there are a lot of versions with nearly identical names. Here's what I think I've figured out about the GOG pack. Those of you who did grow up with these, set me straight if I goof:

• The Even More Incredible Machine. This is very obviously the first one, and it's 320x200 DOS. Clunky to use, but the first puzzle is different and quite a bit more complicated. The second puzzle looks very similar to the second puzzle in the video.
  • The Incredible Machine 3. This looks like it's built as a normal Windows application, like some Bizarro Universe Microsoft Office or something. GOG's description of it suggests that it includes all the puzzles of Incredible Machine 2. The first two puzzles are the same as the video.
  • Return of the Incredible Machine Contraptions. This looks like what we saw in the video.
  • The Return of the Incredible Machine - Even More Contraptions, which borrows logos from the original DOS Even More Incredible Machine. :what: This looks like an expansion pack to Return of the Incredible Machine Contraptions, but there's a stage select, and progress from the original doesn't seem to be importable.

Those last two feel like they're strict improvements over the early models, from some cursory examination.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Yes. Yes. I spent so many hours just shooting lasers around a screen and spooking mandrills on treadmills with The Incredible Machine 2. I'm so happy they made another game.

Might have to pick it up.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I remember mostly making elaborate death traps for the kid you can place in the contraptions. Like an elementary school Jigsaw.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I remember having the original game back in the day. The manual talked about some dude in Florida who got eaten by alligators and that's exactly what has to happen in some of the puzzles.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I had the Mac version of the original growing up. We thought it must've been a sequel because of the name, but we never did find the "original" :v:.

FPzero posted:

I actually have this but I never really played too far into it. Then again I think it was still in Early Access when I played it last so I'm sure it's much more like what I was looking for at the time.

I did the same. Bought it in early access, played a bit, put it down. It's much better now that it's a full release.

Also, for anyone reading the thread who might want it, Contraption Maker for some reason can only be bought in a 2-pack for $7 (currently).

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

ManxomeBromide posted:

I picked this up from GOG ages ago but never really got into it because I couldn't work out even the basics of interaction. After seeing someone play a version of it, that got me through a few puzzles in all the versions GOG shipped with.

And holy cheese, there are a lot of versions with nearly identical names. Here's what I think I've figured out about the GOG pack. Those of you who did grow up with these, set me straight if I goof:

• The Even More Incredible Machine. This is very obviously the first one, and it's 320x200 DOS. Clunky to use, but the first puzzle is different and quite a bit more complicated. The second puzzle looks very similar to the second puzzle in the video.
  • The Incredible Machine 3. This looks like it's built as a normal Windows application, like some Bizarro Universe Microsoft Office or something. GOG's description of it suggests that it includes all the puzzles of Incredible Machine 2. The first two puzzles are the same as the video.
  • Return of the Incredible Machine Contraptions. This looks like what we saw in the video.
  • The Return of the Incredible Machine - Even More Contraptions, which borrows logos from the original DOS Even More Incredible Machine. :what: This looks like an expansion pack to Return of the Incredible Machine Contraptions, but there's a stage select, and progress from the original doesn't seem to be importable.

Those last two feel like they're strict improvements over the early models, from some cursory examination.
For reference, here's the whole series:

• The Incredible Machine
  • The Even More Incredible Machine (more like an expansion+improvement of the first)
  • The Incredible Machine 2
  • The Incredible Machine 3.0 (quite similar to Even More, but for TIM 2 instead. Best version of all in my opinion)
  • Return of the Incredible Machine: Contraptions (Honestly seems like they just redid some sound effects and added more music to the stuff that was in 3, maybe even changed the graphics a tiny bit?)
  • The Return of the Incredible Machine - Even More Contraptions (Probably just as you said, adding very little to the overall package.)

I don't know anything about the last two since i have them but didn't exactly get into them, but if you were wondering about the rest, you're not missing anything if you don't have 2 or the original TIM.

hitty
Mar 4, 2013

From what I played of them and can remember, most of the puzzles in Contraptions come from the previous game, but the puzzles in Even More Contraptions are new (tutorial might be an exception, which is fair I guess).

I grew up with the very first one, and it was the best thing ever. While I played and finished the sequel as well, I never liked much the Mel puzzles, as they tend to go overly slow sometimes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh, projectile motion? The screen doesn't look nearly big enough to give sweet lady gravity a chance to stretch her legs on one of those.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Cheez posted:

For reference, here's the whole series:

• The Incredible Machine
  • The Even More Incredible Machine (more like an expansion+improvement of the first)
  • The Incredible Machine 2
  • The Incredible Machine 3.0 (quite similar to Even More, but for TIM 2 instead. Best version of all in my opinion)
  • Return of the Incredible Machine: Contraptions (Honestly seems like they just redid some sound effects and added more music to the stuff that was in 3, maybe even changed the graphics a tiny bit?)
  • The Return of the Incredible Machine - Even More Contraptions (Probably just as you said, adding very little to the overall package.)

I don't know anything about the last two since i have them but didn't exactly get into them, but if you were wondering about the rest, you're not missing anything if you don't have 2 or the original TIM.

There's also Sid & Al's Incredible Toons and Incredible Toon Machine, and if we count Jeff Tunnell's other games that couldn't legally be named TIM, there's also
  • Chain Reaction (2003)
  • Contraption Maker (2014-current)

And an entire "rip-off" series called Crazy Machines, of which there are at least 5 instalments.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Let's not forget the Bad Rats series, clearly the best of the lot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I used to play the ol' DOS version of this a lot as a kid. :toot:

The old cannon graphics was that of a proper ship cannon and not some dumb clown cannon though. It doesn't even shoot clowns!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

ModeWondershot posted:

I would agree with the assessment of "edutainment game that is actually quite fun and creative" as I did end up playing this in elementary school, since a few science teachers found it and decided it would be fun to show off as a demonstration of basic physics and engineering principles, and I would often sneak off to play it during recess.

Also, I learned to enjoy certain forms of classical music from it as the introduction from Modest Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" is featured throughout.
God yes. I think I'm actually recognizing more of the background music than I am the actual game mechanics.

Mantis42 posted:

I remember mostly making elaborate death traps for the kid you can place in the contraptions. Like an elementary school Jigsaw.
Half of this was me, the other half was making large, beautiful vistas using artistic placement of different wall types, backgrounds, and puzzle pieces. Mountain ranges, pirate ships, and so on.
I mean, as puzzles they were 100% useless but they looked very nice.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode #2: Tutorial Puzzles Part 2 - with guests Faerie Fortune and Quantum Fizz aka May.

Wrapping up the Tutorial Puzzles and showing off the puzzle maker at the very end.

I felt like getting the tutorial videos out of the way quickly. From here on out I'll post videos every few days or so. General reminder that if you'd like to send me any custom levels, feel free to post them here in the thread and I'll try them out at the end of the LP. All you need to do is go to your installation directory, find the folder marked "Homemade" and then upload the .tim files within.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I seem to remember that the homemade puzzles in the first game didn't include customizable goals as such - you'd type the goal, but it was up to the player to decide whether they'd solved the puzzle correctly based on the goal text. The second game had functions to program the components with goal conditions and would declare victory when all of the conditions were met.

The two player puzzles were simple, but the idea was that the players would take turns placing parts. I think, for each turn, you could place one new part and move one part that's already in the solution. Whoever solves the puzzle wins.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I believe what you were trying to say is that the translators convert linear motion into rotational motion or the other way around.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I think it was this version but when I was a kid, me and my friend's brother was playing this and we managed to guess the final password after 2 guesses. Kind of blew our minds.

It's "password"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I have this vague memory that defining the goal is done by clicking on a goal flag on the items you've placed and picking the option. Just like how resize, rotate and customize works.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Poil posted:

I have this vague memory that defining the goal is done by clicking on a goal flag on the items you've placed and picking the option. Just like how resize, rotate and customize works.

This is in fact how to do it, but the flag doesn't appear on locked parts and the springboard I kept unlocked can't have any goals assigned to it. So I just straight-up missed it. At the end of the next session though, I do come back to this puzzle and expand upon it using the Goal dialog properly.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hey, FP forgot to post about this happening but we're streaming right now! We'll probably be going for about an hour and a half so come along if you want to yell at FP for doing puzzles wrong or whatever

All done! FP learned a lot about English food today

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 19, 2017

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

gschmidl posted:

There's also Sid & Al's Incredible Toons and Incredible Toon Machine, and if we count Jeff Tunnell's other games that couldn't legally be named TIM, there's also
  • Chain Reaction (2003)
  • Contraption Maker (2014-current)

The Incredible Toons line got licensed by Capcom for an I-swear-to-god Ghosts 'n Goblins spinoff game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode #3: Easy Puzzles Part 1 - with guests Faerie Fortune, QuantumFizz, and Krysmphoenix

While the puzzles here are obvious pretty simple, they're also starting to use multiple part interactions more often. There's still generally one way to solve the puzzle due to the low number of parts available for us to place, but we can really get a good feeling for how the rest of the game will build on these early puzzles.

Also, the sale on GOG for the game is over now but you can still get it and the other games in the pack for $10. And there's still plenty of time left to submit some custom puzzles if that's something you want to do.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is Fae going to be in every update like she was in the Metroid Prime videos? I always enjoy her asides.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yes, the plan is to have Fae and May in all of the videos with other guests popping in randomly.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FPzero posted:

Yes, the plan is to have Fae and May in all of the videos with other guests popping in randomly.
Hooray! (Imagine that this was in Fae's voice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how they give you some joke items, like the pinball bumpers for the blimps puzzle. It fails so obviously that you can't even be mad.

• Locked thread