Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Cheez posted:

My point was that trying to say "that's not how it works" or "this is how it should work" as if the game was supposed to copy real life or some other kind of source is a wasted effort, because it's a fictional concept that's already got its own explanation.
Weird mini-rant quarantined below:
Sure. Sci-fi does tend to be a bit weird with that, though, since it often tries to ground itself firmly in reality...or at least sometimes pretends to and obviously fails. It's one of the big shortcomings often called out in early sci-fi, which was loving rife with fascism, eugenics, pedophilia, misogyny, and other grossness all defending itself under a set of arguments that we would now probably recognize (and mock) as :biotruths: bullshit....And of course it can still kind of frustrating to see a writer obviously misunderstand a real-world concept even if you write it off as a conceit of the story, which even sci-fi that's not gross can have a problem with.

Again, you're right that not all fiction should be held up to the same standards or expectations as any other piece of fiction, but the terrible poo poo that occurs disproportionately in sci-fi writing is sort of a pet peeve of mine.

All of the above ranting beside, I don't think it's especially material how something as abstruse as 'anti-gravity' works, it should be allowed to be weird, it's anti-gravity. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Commander Keene posted:

Or any cap on speed values. Due to how collision detection works in video games, if you can figure out how to go fast enough, you're basically the Flash. And this is pretty much universal throughout every video game ever made; some just don't let you build up the required speed.

I seem to recall that there were certain schools of thought about collision detection/collision handling that weren't entirely identical to the modern model almost everything uses, but I think they've largely gone the way of the voxel, which is to say, no one talks about them even though they still pop up from time to time in a modified form, they're usually more difficult to work with because they're processor-intensive or simply don't have a lot of example work to reference, and occasionally someone accidentally reinvents them even though they're definitely still around being used in subtle or hidden ways.

• Locked thread