Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I picked this up from GOG ages ago but never really got into it because I couldn't work out even the basics of interaction. After seeing someone play a version of it, that got me through a few puzzles in all the versions GOG shipped with.

And holy cheese, there are a lot of versions with nearly identical names. Here's what I think I've figured out about the GOG pack. Those of you who did grow up with these, set me straight if I goof:

• The Even More Incredible Machine. This is very obviously the first one, and it's 320x200 DOS. Clunky to use, but the first puzzle is different and quite a bit more complicated. The second puzzle looks very similar to the second puzzle in the video.
  • The Incredible Machine 3. This looks like it's built as a normal Windows application, like some Bizarro Universe Microsoft Office or something. GOG's description of it suggests that it includes all the puzzles of Incredible Machine 2. The first two puzzles are the same as the video.
  • Return of the Incredible Machine Contraptions. This looks like what we saw in the video.
  • The Return of the Incredible Machine - Even More Contraptions, which borrows logos from the original DOS Even More Incredible Machine. :what: This looks like an expansion pack to Return of the Incredible Machine Contraptions, but there's a stage select, and progress from the original doesn't seem to be importable.

Those last two feel like they're strict improvements over the early models, from some cursory examination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Regarding Sliders, the early episodes had John Rhys-Davies in it and those were more fun.

It was said that he left the show over "creative differences—specifically, he was creative and they were not."

Regarding contraptions, I've been playing along-ish, for the first time, and the Medium levels seem to be a pretty big difficulty spike. I spent an awful long time on Medium 7 getting those balloons stuck on the ceiling away from the hole.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Based on how it seems to behave, I strongly suspect that Reverse Bottle Adventure is a buffer underflow but not a stack over/underflow.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I brickwalled both instantly and literally on the next tier of puzzles.

Also, while it may have just been a tale told to ignorant colonials, I was told that bubble and squeak was so named from the sounds the pan made while you cooked it and scraped the oil around.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I finally managed to beat all the Difficult puzzles! :woop:

My solution for your second-to-last puzzle in that video was a preposterous mess of bouncing pinballs and pails and antigrav that kept everything flailing around until the blimp was turned back and driven into the match that never got around to actually lighting any missiles.

Meanwhile, the puzzle I got stuck on hard enough that I needed to get external help turned out to be a case of convincing myself that a rocket cannot fit into a one-tile-wide space. Turns out it totally can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I enjoyed some of these finicky puzzles more than I should have. The three-phaser puzzle I ended up solving just with one by blowing up way more with a dropped nitro (nitro does damage) and then using a seesaw to hurl Mel into the final part of the puzzle. Then on that last puzzle I had the superball caroming around to bounce off the firestarter, skipping about half the intended solution.

But I don't think it works to design around that the way Even More Contraptions did. There needs to be some baseline of reliability before you kick a big chunk of it over.

That "Hayseed" track is one of the two that makes me turn the volume down now, alas. (The other is Techno Rave and I'm not sure that one's been run for any length of time in-stream yet. You are acing a lot of the puzzles I struggled with.)

• Locked thread