Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Loved that game. I only ever really played the original though. I think I played 2 or 3, but frankly I can't remember that one at all. I believe in that one the physics where glitched, so I could just cheese my way through most of the game.

But in this game, I have a memory of a certain weird item suddenly popping up in the building menu once. Either it was a special holiday Easter egg, or I might have been crazy at that time. There were like three or four puzzles, I was truly stuck on back in the day. I will probably recognize them once I see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I have something to say which I considered ever since I watched the stream: I agree with this games physics!

That's totally how balloons would work in antigravity. The air around them is heavier than the balloon. So the air goes to the top. And then the balloon floats below this air. Since the air goes all the way to the bottom, the balloon gets pushed all the way down.

Of course that would sort of break, if the air can float into the antigravity area. In that case there would be circular air convection which keeps driving the air upwards. In that case the air stream would also pull the balloon upwards.

Also, I guess there would have to be an upper boundary for the antigravity. Otherwise all the air would flow all the way out of the atmosphere. And in the vacuum the balloon would still rise. But in this example there are ceilings, so it works out.

Anything I'm overlooking here? I'm just wondering, since May vehemently claimed that it wouldn't work this way. I'm a math nerd who likes to consider imaginary physics, which will probably never be possible.

But then again, technically, there is no long term solution to the Navier-Stokes-PDE. So nobody could possible prove that anything floats.
Fun fact: Airplanes fly on magic. Nobody knows how it works. They might fall down any minute.

Also cue balls always act as if you are looking at them from above. That's just an undisputable fact.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 25, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Cheez posted:

Nobody should think about this in the first place because sci-fi concepts don't have a "way" that they work.
I disagree. Well written sci-fi is consistent. There are new things which might as well be magic, but they are still integrated into the real physics. Here it's pretty simple. Within the field, everything is accelerated at the regular rate, in the opposite direction. It's not important, how these things would work, But it''s important what they would do and what that would imply.

It's just a fun little thought experiment.
Also I can't accept the notion that one of the games of my childhood has weird physics, so I have to absolve it by convoluted reasoning.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 25, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I love that you are on sensible European times.

EDIT: Fae don't forget about the thing!
VVV Oh well.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 28, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It's been fun.
People should talk about the core more often.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I've been meaning to ask. What's the song in stage 7 (12 minutes in the video) called? I like it for some reason, but it feels so familiar. Is that a re-purposed classic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

FPzero posted:

I looked around and I found this page on Contraption Maker's website: http://contraptionmaker.com/incredible_machine_soundtrack/

I think the song you pointed out is called "Tuna Loaf" and is just tributing Meat Loaf.

Thanks for the link. "Dreams" "Keep trying" and "Unplugged" are quite good as well.
Also I always loved that version of The gates of Kiev. (Pictures at an Exibition)

This music is making me nostalgic. It might be one of the first times that I have ever felt nostalgia for a game.

EDIT: Oh poo poo I missed "Progressive". It's short but really sweet.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 3, 2017

• Locked thread