Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

ManxomeBromide posted:

I picked this up from GOG ages ago but never really got into it because I couldn't work out even the basics of interaction. After seeing someone play a version of it, that got me through a few puzzles in all the versions GOG shipped with.

And holy cheese, there are a lot of versions with nearly identical names. Here's what I think I've figured out about the GOG pack. Those of you who did grow up with these, set me straight if I goof:

• The Even More Incredible Machine. This is very obviously the first one, and it's 320x200 DOS. Clunky to use, but the first puzzle is different and quite a bit more complicated. The second puzzle looks very similar to the second puzzle in the video.
  • The Incredible Machine 3. This looks like it's built as a normal Windows application, like some Bizarro Universe Microsoft Office or something. GOG's description of it suggests that it includes all the puzzles of Incredible Machine 2. The first two puzzles are the same as the video.
  • Return of the Incredible Machine Contraptions. This looks like what we saw in the video.
  • The Return of the Incredible Machine - Even More Contraptions, which borrows logos from the original DOS Even More Incredible Machine. :what: This looks like an expansion pack to Return of the Incredible Machine Contraptions, but there's a stage select, and progress from the original doesn't seem to be importable.

Those last two feel like they're strict improvements over the early models, from some cursory examination.
For reference, here's the whole series:

• The Incredible Machine
  • The Even More Incredible Machine (more like an expansion+improvement of the first)
  • The Incredible Machine 2
  • The Incredible Machine 3.0 (quite similar to Even More, but for TIM 2 instead. Best version of all in my opinion)
  • Return of the Incredible Machine: Contraptions (Honestly seems like they just redid some sound effects and added more music to the stuff that was in 3, maybe even changed the graphics a tiny bit?)
  • The Return of the Incredible Machine - Even More Contraptions (Probably just as you said, adding very little to the overall package.)

I don't know anything about the last two since i have them but didn't exactly get into them, but if you were wondering about the rest, you're not missing anything if you don't have 2 or the original TIM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Anything I'm overlooking here? I'm just wondering, since May vehemently claimed that it wouldn't work this way. I'm a math nerd who likes to consider imaginary physics, which will probably never be possible.

Nobody should think about this in the first place because sci-fi concepts don't have a "way" that they work.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

My point was that trying to say "that's not how it works" or "this is how it should work" as if the game was supposed to copy real life or some other kind of source is a wasted effort, because it's a fictional concept that's already got its own explanation.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

AweStriker posted:

different names for no reason
One was bought by the other at some point, and they probably assume people wouldn't go if the name changed. Brands can be pretty strong.

• Locked thread