Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm not writing a academic paper twodot. I'm posting on a dead gay comey forum to start a discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BrandorKP posted:

At the end of 18th months the milestone for a child is to say 8 - 10 words. At the age my son had spoken vocabulary of over 100 words and was using sentence structure.

Can you in good faith tell me that degree of difference from the norm isn't going to cause behavioral and psychological repercussions?
No, but I do think it's extremely premature to be talking about how exceptional you think your child is, or suggesting that either yourself or your child can be accurately characterized as belonging to some unique subcategory of humanity, beyond maybe being a little clever or something like that.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

BrandorKP posted:

I'm not writing a academic paper twodot. I'm posting on a dead gay comey forum to start a discussion.
Right, and I'm saying your discussion sucks, because it's predicated on a fake academic paper that you've cited but can't find.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

Right, and I'm saying your discussion sucks, because it's predicated on a fake academic paper that you've cited but can't find.

And yet your discourse manages to lower even this relatively low bar through it's sheer pathetic lack of even the illusion of substance, you whiny baby.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

twodot posted:

The strawest of men that one statement I made I cannot find the reference invalidates the whole of the discussion.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

The strawest of men that one statement I made I cannot find the reference invalidates the whole of the discussion.
So, you're just openly engaging in a gish gallop, where I have to track down every objective claim you've made, and ask for sources individually? If your earlier claim wasn't important to the discussion, perhaps retract it, and make the claim you think is truly important?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

So, you're just openly engaging in a gish gallop, where I have to track down every objective claim you've made, and ask for sources individually? If your earlier claim wasn't important to the discussion, perhaps retract it, and make the claim you think is truly important?

What claim have you brought into the discussion that has any importance at all?

twodot posted:

I'm literally whining

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

What claim have you brought into the discussion that has any importance at all?
My main claim is that BrandorKP is clearly talking out of their rear end. I've also got a bonus should claim that they should stop posting until they can stop talking out of their rear end. (edit: Or I guess take it to forums where rear end-talking is encouraged)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

My main claim is that BrandorKP is clearly talking out of their rear end. I've also got a bonus should claim that they should stop posting until they can stop talking out of their rear end.

You should stop posting until you have something to offer. What have you brought to the table here, other than sniveling? You're like some kind of deficient Socrates, asking questions with no purpose that nobody cares about, purely as a cover for your complaints.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

twodot posted:

Let's take something I asserted like emotional intensity in the gifted:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...WI7GGmcAhvA_kmQ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...LbyVAg0OHNxSDZg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...c_thdmdvbPZyEkg

If something can be verified in less than a minute by search and I posted a text I was directly quoting in the OP "Living with Intensity" that is on the subject...

gently caress off.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Unusually advanced or developmentally delayed infants/toddlers tend to end up fairly close to the norm some years down the line. Seems like a bad example, if you're going for credibility.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Let's take something I asserted like emotional intensity in the gifted:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...WI7GGmcAhvA_kmQ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...LbyVAg0OHNxSDZg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...c_thdmdvbPZyEkg

If something can be verified in less than a minute by search and I posted a text I was directly quoting in the OP "Living with Intensity" that is on the subject...

gently caress off.
Cool, "verified in less than a minute by search" this is sure to be substantial, serious research. Let's checkout the website's about page just to be sure:

quote:

No guarantee is provided as to its veracity, and browsers rely on this material at their own risk. If you feel that any material is inaccurate or unbalanced, please let us know using the webmaster link below.
Peer-review by webmaster? Just give up.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Corvinus posted:

Unusually advanced or developmentally delayed infants/toddlers tend to end up fairly close to the norm some years down the line. Seems like a bad example, if you're going for credibility.

Oh poo poo, twodots, you've got some questions to ask here! But you won't, because your dumbass questions weren't about evidence, they were about your whiny complaints.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

Oh poo poo, twodots, you've got some questions to ask here! But you won't, because your dumbass questions weren't about evidence, they were about your whiny complaints.
"fairly close" isn't an objective claim that can be measured. "People in a specific set I've yet to define wind up with incomes 20% above average" is a claim that must be backed up by data or is just an rear end in a top hat spewing facts they know to be made up.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

"fairly close" isn't an objective claim that can be measured. "People in a specific set I've yet to define wind up with incomes 20% above average" is a claim that must be backed up by data or is just an rear end in a top hat spewing facts they know to be made up.

You clearly aren't cut out for trolling anything but the lowest of hanging fruits. Go back to trolling the Democratic party thread. If there was ever an easier thing to troll, I certainly don't know about it. You can fact check that poo poo yourself.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Corvinus posted:

About 3 going on 4 now, we've consulted several special education professionals and it's a yep. Nothing has slowed down yet milestone wise.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BrandorKP posted:

About 3 going on 4 now, we've consulted several special education professionals and it's a yep. Nothing has slowed down yet milestone wise.

Milestones!?!? Do you have any proof for your concept of "developmental psychology"? Checkmate.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

the trump tutelage posted:

You're talking to stone cold. The only two kinds of people who exist are whites and their victims.

nice own goal, idiot

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

twodot posted:

"Excuse me, sir. Are you a literal oracle that will predict the future of this individual child, 5, 10, or even 50 years into the future? Oh? You aren't literally omniscient possessing all possible knowledge of both the present and future? What's the point then? Also I'm allowed to make declarations about other children's future without any sort of evidence that I'm right, and if you ask me for evidence, I'll just say I forgot, and you should find it."

Who wins in a fight between a straw man and a galloping gish?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tokamak posted:

Who wins in a fight between a strawman and a galloping gish?
My feel is whichever side isn't asking Internet strangers to predict the developmental progression of a baby based on a single data point. Can we move this thread to wherever goons brag about how their kids are the most awesome unique kids ever?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

My feel is whichever side isn't asking Internet strangers to predict the developmental progression of a baby based on a single data point. Can we move this thread to wherever goons brag about how their kids are the most awesome unique kids ever?

I think you might be having some reading comprehension problems if that's your interpretation of this discussion. Is your disability leading to anger toward the topic at hand?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
1 in 50 kids are in the top 2%. It's not exactly rare.by definition.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/education/in-one-school-students-are-divided-by-gifted-label-and-race.html

quote:

For critics of New York City’s gifted and talented programs, that image crystallizes what they say is a flawed system that reinforces racial separation in the city’s schools and contributes to disparities in achievement.

They contend that gifted admissions standards favor middle-class children, many of them white or Asian, over black and Hispanic children who might have equal promise, and that the programs create castes within schools, one offered an education that is enriched and accelerated, the other getting a bare-bones version of the material. Because they are often embedded within larger schools, the programs bolster a false vision of diversity, these critics say, while reinforcing the negative stereotypes of class and race.

Despite months of repeated requests, the city’s Education Department would not provide racial breakdowns of gifted and talented programs and the schools that house them. But the programs tend to be in wealthier districts whose populations have fewer black and Hispanic children, and far more children qualify for them in affluent districts than in poorer ones.

Wait a second are you claiming that middle class white children make 20% more than the minority students when they leave school!??

Good God, you may be on to something!!!

Does anyone else know?!?!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

BrandorKP posted:

At the end of 18th months the milestone for a child is to say 8 - 10 words. At the age my son had spoken vocabulary of over 100 words and was using sentence structure.

Can you in good faith tell me that degree of difference from the norm isn't going to cause behavioral and psychological repercussions?

I just assume it's a result of word salad osmosis.

Also, I'm not sure that you're really approaching this subject very rigorously, in terms of either types of intelligence, attacking problems of causation and so on.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

I just assume it's a result of word salad osmosis.

Also, I'm not sure that you're really approaching this subject very rigorously, in terms of either types of intelligence, attacking problems of causation and so on.

Oh poo poo, twodots changes accounts to make the same arguments while maintaining a complete lack of substance!

What are your credentials? Do you have any point to make? Do you have any intelligence to present, or are you just whining as well?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait a second I am starting to notice a pattern!

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/09/30/441409122/in-houstons-gifted-program-blacks-and-latinos-are-underrepresented

quote:

Houston school leaders asked Ford to take a close look at their enrollment in the program, and she gave it a failing grade. "Racial bias has to be operating, inequities are rampant. Discrimination does exist whether intentional or unintentional," she told the school board in May of this year.

Ford found that both Hispanic and black students are underrepresented in gifted programs and that black students are missing out the most. She also found that about half the seats in those programs go to higher-income students, even though the majority of the district is poor.

You mean if you give children special attention and intensive learning programs at a early developmental stage they may be at a advantage later in life??!!

Shocking if true!!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

Oh poo poo, twodots changes accounts to make the same arguments while maintaining a complete lack of substance!

What are your credentials? Do you have any point to make? Do you have any intelligence to present, or are you just whining as well?

1. What
2. I'm not the one making big claims that are based on little more than gut feelings, I don't have to trot out my own hypothesis to say so.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Wait a second I am starting to notice a pattern!

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/09/30/441409122/in-houstons-gifted-program-blacks-and-latinos-are-underrepresented

You mean if you give children special attention and intensive learning programs at a early developmental stage they may be at a advantage later in life??!!

Shocking if true!!

In Dallas, the magnet schools skim off all of the gifted students for the magnet schools. Dallas magnets end up at the very top tier in the country as a whole, but they're 70% white, while the non-magnet Dallas public schools in some cases are 1-2% white. Make of that what you will.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

1. What
2. I'm not the one making big claims that are based on little more than gut feelings, I don't have to trot out my own hypothesis to say so.

Right, you're just some random turd asking pointless questions. You have no hypothesis or goal or anything worth mentioning. What are you?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

Right, you're just some random turd asking pointless questions. You have no hypothesis or goal or anything worth mentioning. What are you?

Apparently the object of a day spent without a cup of coffee, or with too many.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

Apparently the object of a day spent without a cup of coffee, or with too many.

I wish I'd need some coffee to engage with your ilk, but you've got nothing to offer. You've sniffed a few too many of your own farts, did you have something that anyone else would want to get involved with?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hrmm interesting

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/gifted-ed-guru/201302/sorry-your-exceptional-child-might-not-be-gifted

quote:

Of course, it is impossible to separate the yin-yang duality of Nature and Nurture. A person’s natural gifts, like a keen mind, are indeed shaped and further molded by his environment. But when a parent claims that her child is gifted because he can, say, read several grade levels above his young peers, or count to 100 at the age of three, or “name all fifty states in alphabetical order when he was just five”… then that parent is perhaps confusing correlation with causation. He can do all of these things, so he must be gifted, the thinking goes.

Um, not so fast. Perhaps it’s true that he is gifted, but it is not necessarily true merely because those examples could be offered.

It is possible that this lady’s young child is reading above grade level because he comes from a household that is rich with stimulation (ahem, Nurture). His parents, and in particular his mother who is an English teacher, likely read to him every night. They engage him in conversation and use wide-ranging vocabulary to express themselves.

It appears that in human development a nurturing environment is needed in some way..

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

At that age a child should be able to say 50 words and use simple sentence structure.
https://translate.google.com/transl...t-text=&act=url

Kid's language development varies a lot. Just because a kid starts to talk early doesn't necessarily means it's gifted and the opposite is also true. Your kid isn't necessarily "slow" just because it starts to talk late.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 19, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Is no one going to point out the obvious that BrandonKP apparently is some weird helicopter parent who has meticulously tracked their child's vocabulary up to including some sort of day to day tracking of the words used by his 18 month old child

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Is no one going to point out the obvious that BrandonKP apparently is some weird helicopter parent who has meticulously tracked their child's vocabulary up to including some sort of day to day tracking of the words used by his 18 month old child

Come on man. You're calling people out for being weird? Did you ever get your horrendous mouth fixed?

Edit:

Weren't you pulling your own foul, rotten teeth from your disgusting face yourself?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yes I am and Yes I did

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...b8c8_story.html

quote:

Byron Johns, chair of the education committee of the Montgomery County chapter of the NAACP, said the report signals a need for change. He said school officials should move with “all deliberate speed,” recognizing that “for generations, there has a systemic lack of equitable ­access.”

Montgomery school officials said the report reflects problems that school systems across the country grapple with — a point also made by the report’s authors, who noted that limited diversity is a “challenge observed in gifted and talented programs nationally.”

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 19, 2017

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Yes I am and Yes I did

gently caress's sake. Stop trolling and thank god you didn't die from your septic filthy teeth. You should be donating to charity, not calling people out. God drat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait are you saying there may be some sort of racial disparity in the school system

https://thinkprogress.org/how-gifted-and-talented-programs-reinforce-class-and-race-inequities-40d72e16355d

quote:

Gifted and talented classes are controversial because they easily represent the epitome of educational inequality. By their very nature, they require setting some students apart as more likely to succeed, and in doing so, all but guarantee that those students will do better than those in regular tracks. But on top of this, critics argue that these classes reinforce race and class opportunity gaps, due to problems such as teacher bias against students of color and wealthy and upper middle class — often white — parents having the ability to game the system in favor of their child.
How privileged students game the system
There’s a reason why Torres was the only Latino student in her class for the majority of her time in the gifted and talented program.
When you look at the odds of a student of color getting into a gifted program compared to a white student, the disparities are pretty striking. The odds of a black student getting into a gifted and talented program are 66 percent lower than they are for a white student student,

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Wait are you saying there may be some sort of racial disparity in the school system

Of course there loving is. But you of all people calling someone else weird for their participation in the discussion? At least Brandor can brush their loving teeth, presumably. Get off your high horse, mushmouth. If you want to talk, then don't pretend some weird superiority. You OBVIOUSLY have nothing of the sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

I wish I'd need some coffee to engage with your ilk, but you've got nothing to offer. You've sniffed a few too many of your own farts, did you have something that anyone else would want to get involved with?

I'm very happy for you that you've fixed your purpose on wailing about the fall of the House of Lowtax as aggressively as possible but do you think this thread is where you want to set up shop?

I'm not an expert in this particular field except anecdotally and through limited training in issues of child development that goes with being certified to coach sports, and coaching those sports, as well as my own childhood.

But, again, it strikes me that a lot of this area of inquiry rests on a desire to set up totally inorganic schematisms like 'gifted', that are often so nebulous (not even necessarily referring merely to what we think of as intelligence or a class of intelligence, but also things like self-discipline) that they escape any meaningful definition, with the status of gifted resting on inadequate or discredited criteria (IQ tests; brief interviews with psychologists, strong but empirically questionable parental convictions). There has to be some conceptual clarity for this conversation to go anywhere, and Brandor hasn't offered much apart from 'pick your own standard deviation' and a lot of vague anecdotal evidence of his own.

This issue is all the more clouded by the apparent cloudiness between the treatment of the 'just smart' vs. the 'gifted' alluded to earlier in the thread, which seems to leave 'gifted' as more of a euphemism for 'anyone who's an outlier but doesn't fit in to an otherwise established category'.

So it would be nice if Brandor did try to provide a more thorough definition of what he perceives giftedness to be because there's obviously no clarity about this at all in the thread.

Alhazred posted:

Kid's language development varies a lot. Just because a kid starts to talk early doesn't necessarily means it's gifted and the opposite is also true. Your kid isn't necessarily "slow" just because it starts to talk late.

And indeed it's quite common for bilingual children to talk very late but to be very advanced speakers when they do talk, linguists tell me.

litany of gulps posted:

Of course there loving is. But you of all people calling someone else weird for their participation in the discussion? At least Brandor can brush their loving teeth, presumably. Get off your high horse, mushmouth. If you want to talk, then don't pretend some weird superiority. You OBVIOUSLY have nothing of the sort.

Have you considered taking the log out of your own eye?

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 19, 2017

• Locked thread