Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I attended a Gifted program as a kid. I can relate to the lack of challenges, the emotional and social issues, etc. I turned out pretty drat ok: got a great gig as a scientist at a startup that may actually be a unicorn, I'm married with a three year old kid and another in utero, I have deep friendships and generally respect from my peers. I do have issues, as we all do, but as I get older my strong emotions are chilling out and I'm getting rid of self-destructive habits slowly but surely.

So that's my story. I think frequently how I'll handle my daughter if she takes after me, as she has shown a number of traits I had at her age, and truthfully I'll just roll with the punches as they come along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

I was in a gifted program, and it probably saved me a few concussions in my little rural town who inexplicably had a gifted teacher who was a goddamn treasure of a teacher, the kind that doesn't exist anymore because we don't oppress women into one of a half dozen career tracks like what happened when she was young and could've been a superstar at whatever she did. I was segregated from the other kids who I didn't get along with and put into a small classroom with other students who were a bit more odd, and weren't all gung-ho on the south rising again, death to all Yankees, slavery was good for black people, and all that jazz you'll find in Tiny Shithole, Louisiana that an argumentative boy would get into fights over these ideas.

Maybe I'm not terribly much smarter than the average person, but I liked the gifted and talented classes. Certainly I wouldn't have received an education of any kind without those classes for the 6-10th grade of my school life.

Greetings fellow bright kid from Bumfuck nowhere.I, too, had to deal with shitbirds like whom you describe, though I got the added blessing of daring to be an atheist pretending to be Catholic in a region full of hateful, hypocritical Protestant sects. Glad I got out.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Who What Now posted:

If you were so smart why didn't you just pretend to be a Protestant around those people?

It was a town of 4000 people, it's not like I could hide an affiliation. Are you the kind of person who asks black people why they just don't act whiter around white people?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Who What Now posted:

No, I'm the kind of person that can recognize an obvious joke, though.

TBH it's not a v. good "joke," seeing how I've been asked that before with no joke intended. :cripes:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Who What Now posted:

I was in G&T classes, and my wife was not. She's more successful than I am by every concievable metric except for dead gay comedy forum post count. G&T is a worthless, garbage label.

That's a pretty sweet N=1, anecdotal point of datum you got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Sharing personal experiences has been the majority of this thread, my dude. S'bout as valid as your whinging about how hard it was to be an atheist.

Actually wasn't an atheist until college, but I was getting the poo poo kicked out of me for being Catholic in the time period I was speaking about.

The difference between the two: I shared a semi-detailed anecdote about my experience as a kid with the G tag, you shared a sentence and drew a conclusion that the whole shebang is worthless because it didn't apply to your case, in your view.

Here's a question: what if your wife should've been labeled gifted? Or, what if you "diagnosis" was right on, and your education or socialization stunted your abilities? There's just a lot of ways to take it, is what I'm saying.

• Locked thread