Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The expansion draft is coming! And you have an opportunity to win fabulous prizes!

How do I Play?
Tomorrow morning (Sunday, June 18) at 10AM Eastern Time the NHL will release a list of players from which the Vegas Golden Knights will choose to compose their first NHL roster. According to the NHL rules they will be selecting one player from each team. They will be picking at minimum 14 forwards, 9 defenceman, and 3 goalies. Of the 30 players they choose, at least 20 must be under contract for next season.

Your challenge will be to also select a team from the available players, within the NHL rules. You will do this on a google form that will be posted as shortly after 10AM. The form will also have a couple of tie-breaker questions. I will close selections at the start of the NHL awards, 8PM EST June 21st.

What do I win?
There are two ways to win!!!

(1) All posters whose selections are closest to Vegas' actual selections will win a free forums upgrade, which I encourage you to spend on a Vegas Golden Knights themed avatar marking you as Vegas' first forums superfan.

(2) For the poster whose selections do the best over the course of the 2017-2018 season, you will win a fantastic selection of Vegas Golden Knights merch!!!

(3) For the poster whose selections do the worst over the course of the 2017-2018 season, you will be burdened with an avatar of shaaaame

(4) There may also be secret prizes throughout the year. I dunno, I haven't decided yet.

How are points scored for the big prize?

I'm glad you asked!

For skaters it will be the following:

2 points for a goal
1 point for an assist
0.1 points for a shot
-0.2 points per PIM

There's not gonna be any scoring for goalies because I'm pretty sure everyone assumes they're gonna take Fleury and I have no idea how to balance goalie scoring around that.

What else do I need to know?

Have fun!!!

The Selection Link

Select your mightiest warriors

e: TSN list with everyone protected and available

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Do points scored by Vegas picks who don't actually play for Vegas still count? I'm assuming they're going to be making some picks with the intent to move the players before the season starts.

Also: cool!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Do points scored by Vegas picks who don't actually play for Vegas still count?

So long as they're in the NHL. That would be necessary for this game to work, since the goal is to out-do the actual chosen team!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm down with this

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
This sounds fun. Gonna participate.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Cool, can't wait to lose

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Now this is something:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/876211993715367936

How will this affect anything? I have no idea. But someone will confuse themselves trying to strategize their picks and that will be cool.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

This contest is going to end in 2048 when all the trade chains have ended and the players retired

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Hand Knit posted:

Now this is something:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/876211993715367936

How will this affect anything? I have no idea. But someone will confuse themselves trying to strategize their picks and that will be cool.

Essentially, it sounds like Vegas is going to be reaching out to each team before the pick is made, so they could maybe work out a deal if Vegas is picking someone they want kept.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I can understand if you want to name your team "Vegas" because for some reason that's the town with dance parties and spring break, whereas "Las Vegas" is the town associated with Wayne Newton and Dolly Parton. But for the love of god please don't dateline your press release "VEGAS".

That's up there with the "Nuh-va-duh"/"Na-vaw-duh" thing in terms of triggers that cause locals to fly at you screeching "OUTSIDER!"

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 18, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Alright assuming I didn't gently caress this up I posted the link in the OP

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
So I take it the picks we make are just going to be based upon the list of who is available/protected and not take into account any side-deals that have been struck and made public?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

whatis posted:

So I take it the picks we make are just going to be based upon the list of who is available/protected and not take into account any side-deals that have been struck and made public?

This depends. Do you want to try win the prize for having the list that most closely matches Vegas' actual picks? Or do you want to try and win the prize for the best overall team? The strategic decisions are nearly endless!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Didn't realize how psyched I was to do hours of research for the mock draft until I started reading the lists

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Edit: Whoops n/m

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
They shall be my space hockeymen, and they shall know no victories.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is every team required to have an all-star like MLB? I cant remember anymore.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is every team required to have an all-star like MLB? I cant remember anymore.

I think that's the case, and now all stars are represented by divisions https://www.nhl.com/news/2017-all-star-game-rosters/c-285394072

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I am totally blanking on who gets taken from Montreal. If Nesterov wasn't a UFA I'd say they pick him up but...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JawKnee posted:

I am totally blanking on who gets taken from Montreal. If Nesterov wasn't a UFA I'd say they pick him up but...

Hudon. Played well in the AHL, small contract, young, and did alright in his 2 NHL games (had points in both).

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

If anybody needs an easy way to check their picks/roster, CapFriendly updated their expansion draft page with all the protection lists.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Heck yeah, I'll get in on this.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

:lol: someone thinks that Vegas is going to take:

A) Grenier

B) Bachmann

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is this like fantasy? Do I get to give my theoretical team a name that's better than the golden loving knights? I hope they become the las vegas goalles knights.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I did my list purely from gut and didn't fact check it at all and I'm sure it's not gonna go well

e: I like that I'm not the only one who picked Sbisa lol. Picking a player for Vancouver was hard because it's a giant pile of poo poo on their exposed list.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 18, 2017

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
I tried to go with a decent mix of younger players with some potential and vets on shorter contracts who could be moved for futures at the next couple of trade deadlines (or right away - nothing stopping GMGM from picking Neal or Perron and flipping them at the draft).

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Entered despite not knowing poo poo about most players outside of some (former) Canucks, and guys who can't be picked up. Somewhat relieved to see my answers mostly align with everyone's. Let's go the Golden Knights!

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
my team might cost 90 million, but they'll loving win

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My team: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/70575 (I don't know how you would ensure your team is legal if you don't use this tool)

Definitely not the team I'd actually pick if I were Vegas, but I think with all their trades it's gonna be a bit wonky anyway, so I went for "who will score the most while not getting PIMs".

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Here's my team. I figured I'd aim for something more within the realm of possibility instead of going for the best results by taking certain pending UFAs (Thornton, Radulov)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hand Knit, do we have to be within the Cap parameters or just pick based on some combination of educated guesses and reckless abandon? I'm at like $83M in salary right now.

e- Holy gently caress, is there some poo poo available on the Avs roster to be taken. I'm looking at them going "uhhhhhhhhhh...".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 19, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hand Knit, do we have to be within the Cap parameters or just pick based on some combination of educated guesses and reckless abandon? I'm at like $83M in salary right now.

e- Holy gently caress, is there some poo poo available on the Avs roster to be taken. I'm looking at them going "uhhhhhhhhhh...".

quote:

Your challenge will be to also select a team from the available players, within the NHL rules.

Use the capfriendly tool. https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

CBJSprague24 posted:

just pick based on some combination of educated guesses and reckless abandon?

This me.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
If we're supposed to be under the salary cap, can that be uhhh...explicitly stated? Because "within the NHL rules" is pretty vague and I don't even know what exactly that entails

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

whatis posted:

If we're supposed to be under the salary cap, can that be uhhh...explicitly stated? Because "within the NHL rules" is pretty vague and I don't even know what exactly that entails

Could be worse, could be "What's a catch"-

*puts finger on earpiece*

Uh... what's "offsides" exactly?

As for the cap, I'm going to lean towards yes, under the cap (I reserve all rights to have HK overrule me here).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I picked a team that was just under the Cap, but it only had 6 defensemen. Gonna have to go fix it.

I don't see what the problem is, MAF just showed you can win a Cup with fewer defensemen than that. :shrug:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hey FYI I was drunk when I picked my roster

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yes and?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ah the Jim Benning approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I didn't check to see if mine was cap friendly but I picked Bobby Ryan and Maf so I assume I did alright

• Locked thread