Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Also, there's zero reason to not completely disable a ship. You were getting pinged to hell and back by the Ronin's laser cannon after taking out their flak.

I want to say it's also a good idea to keep moving, but I'm honestly not sure if that impacts the amount of damage you take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

OAquinas posted:

I want to say it's also a good idea to keep moving, but I'm honestly not sure if that impacts the amount of damage you take.

Yea I don't know if it affects hit chances at all (it might, especially later when we get ships with tactical drives) but at least it's much less frustrating to watch than just sitting there taking fire.

I remember when I played the game, I used to mostly use manual controls instead of the auto-attack function keys. This might have been to my detriment, however, as I tended to expend all the auxiliary energy way too quickly.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

VKing posted:

Yea I don't know if it affects hit chances at all (it might, especially later when we get ships with tactical drives) but at least it's much less frustrating to watch than just sitting there taking fire.

I remember when I played the game, I used to mostly use manual controls instead of the auto-attack function keys. This might have been to my detriment, however, as I tended to expend all the auxiliary energy way too quickly.

If after a battle you have aux energy left you did something wrong :D
I think the biggest benefit of constantly moving is that the enemy may not get the angle to properly hit one of your subsystems. And of course to stay out of range of other enemies that may be around.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

OAquinas posted:

Also, there's zero reason to not completely disable a ship. You were getting pinged to hell and back by the Ronin's laser cannon after taking out their flak.

I wasn't too sure if it was our laser or theirs, plus I didn't want to shoot because we had our inspection team on board. I'm fairly sure that in later missions there can be issues with completely disabling ships, but spoilers.

Nuramor posted:

If after a battle you have aux energy left you did something wrong :D
I think the biggest benefit of constantly moving is that the enemy may not get the angle to properly hit one of your subsystems. And of course to stay out of range of other enemies that may be around.

Yeah, to my knowledge the only reason to move is to make it harder for enemies to hit your subsystems or to keep at range. Otherwise, moving just detracts from your ability to fire all weapons.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

VKing posted:

Well, sometimes the auto-functions forget about using some weapons.

Or you just want to pile on the hurt without having to micro everything.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

Well, sometimes the auto-functions forget about using some weapons

IIRC it doesn't forget, it just doesn't use all available weapons in order to get maximum ROF out of the weapons it decides to fire. Using more weapons means they recharge slower (unless you throw auxiliary power at it).

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

VKing posted:

IIRC it doesn't forget, it just doesn't use all available weapons in order to get maximum ROF out of the weapons it decides to fire. Using more weapons means they recharge slower (unless you throw auxiliary power at it).
In addition to this, it also depends on the ship stance: if set to aggressive, it will try to use all weapons avaiable (even targeting other threats on its own, if I remember correctly); with defensive it will prioritize things like ECM, aggressive maneuvering and other defensive features over weapons; and finally in focused stance the ship will do only what it's told to do.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OSEC Encounter and The Chance - Part 3 (View video before reading diary entries.)

Rudolf Veltman, Commander.

This professor of German origin has filled volumes with his works and theories. He received the Nobel prize for physics, aged 25, in recognition of his achievements in Quantum Physics. After that, he became Professor of Honour at multiple universities, and became the lead scientist of the Motyan Institute for Astro Research. Later, he became interested in AI-Psychology and he worked on ISA Space-Traffic Control AI. Few people know that he also published profound philosophical essays, in which he examined the problems and opportunities of the expected evolution of humankind.

He retreated from the limelight eight years ago, ostensibly to start his own private research. In reality, he had accepted an offer from Spacetech and joined the corporation. He quit publishing from that point on; only a few people know that he is working on new spacecraft propulsion methods. His career almost collapsed after a failed experiment resulted in four deaths. After his recouperation, he accepted a job as a researcher aboard the Sunflower base.

Xiao Lee, Commander.

Her parents died while they were repairing the docks of the Kelvin base orbiting Earth. She was brought up by her aunt, in accordance with Confucian tradition. Her aunt tried to keep her away from spaceshipping, hoping to grant her a safer life. But all her restrictions and punishments did not work and Xiao finally ended up at the Academy, where she excelled. She became an outstanding strategist and a tough officer; there is a small shrine in her cabin, where she lights some incense in front of a small buddha sculpture.

(Spoilers for the video)

Personal Log of Marcus Cromwell: 09/05/2112 posted:

For long I thought this whole Kissaki case is stupid competition hysteria. The Japanese have invented some tricky procedure, they have unearthed some new metal or they have discovered the Philosopher's Stone, what do I know, and they phoned home, while the other megas fear that they are going to tail off. I was not really interested in the whole thing. But this new ship, we have found... that is something! I am starting to think I was extremely lucky to be involved in this whole case.

The ship is beautiful... I have never seen anything similar! Its type, engines and origin are all unknown... and not only for me, even our scientists have got nothing to say. Of course, it could be a prototype, the result of the latest research of the Kissaki, but I personally agree with those who – very cautiously though – talk about alien origins.

So far there is no proof, the closer inspection of the Ronin did not provide any results, aside the insignificant fact that this incident could lead to a real calamity.

Personal Log of Marcus Cromwell: 14/05/2112 posted:

Tricky procedure? Unusual building materials? All that time in the army must have dulled my imagination! The Kissaki weren't hiding just any old rubbish... They've stumbled over a huge treasure trove of alien technology near Pluto – this flash new spaceship was just part of the package. They've managed to get it working – I never realised how advanced Japanese technology is – and they moved from Jupiter to Pluto with jaw-dropping speed. They used the Jupiter base as a decoy to trick snoopers. A simple but effective plan – no one noticed that the enormous amounts of spare parts they took were enough to construct two space stations. They conducted mock-research at Jupiter, while their analysis of the alien technology was progressing at full speed at Pluto...

However, it seems they have encountered something they were not able to control... it's hardly normal for an AI – even a completely illegal one – to kill every resident of the complex under its command. Everything seems to prove that that is what has happened with the Jupiter Base... We're sure to find the cause of this tragedy aboard the mysterious space station near Pluto. Our scientists are requesting more and more information every minute. Colonel Finn is in constant negotiations with the mother-company, and our com-lines are overloaded around the clock. I'll have the honor of captaining the newly acquired alien ship on a little excursion round Pluto. I feel sorry for the poor souls aboard the Shukenja, but my sadness is countered by the excitement I feel about my future journey and other things to come...

03/09/2096 - The Kissaki Syndicate discovers the base of the "Creators" near Pluto. They suggest that the find is a gift from a friendly alien race, to help humankind reach the stars.

29/03/2102 - The Kissaki Syndicate starts its secret construction near Pluto.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 24, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Angelwing's design reminds me more of the Covenant from Halo.

I am, however, curious about the AI that apparently caused this disaster. Maybe it was trying to steal the alien ship for itself, or maybe something from the alien ship caused the AI to go rogue.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Seen from the side, the Angelwing kind of looks like a futuristic assault rifle.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cythereal posted:

The Angelwing's design reminds me more of the Covenant from Halo.

I thought Covenant too at first, but their aesthetic is more utilitarian and don't make use of so much empty space like the Angelwing does.

Cythereal posted:

I am, however, curious about the AI that apparently caused this disaster. Maybe it was trying to steal the alien ship for itself, or maybe something from the alien ship caused the AI to go rogue.

The Rogue AI are the most interesting part of this setting to me, especially since the game was meant to be a prequel to Imperium Galactica. I'm really fond of the setting of the game, and desperately wish the kickstarter had succeeded or at least come closer.

E: Pulling this from my Battlefront 2 thread:

Me posted:

On an unrelated note, I'll be streaming games every day for a few weeks, this week being dedicated to Shadow of Mordor. No Star Wars games (or Nexus for that matter) are included in the poll for next week's game but that can be changed for the week after if anyone has a good suggestion.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 25, 2017

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
The manual movement system in this game is pretty interesting. I could've sworn there was a tutorial for it, though, as this is the mission where I first used it, I think. Is it in the next mission?
It's another thing I liked in this game compared to Homeworld - not because this is better, since it's much more finnicky - but because it's another function of Nexus having absolutely no fixed plane that the gameplay takes place on. It just feels right in a spaceship game.

Apropos: I think the auxiliary energy can be recharged by spare support energy if you're using less than 100% of it. Can't quite remember, and it doesn't happen much, anyway.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Yes the batteries could be (slowly) recharged by reducing the energy consumption of the support bar. Worked mostly with the better cells, you got later.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Yeah, one thing to note, name of illegal AI, Tenshi? Translates to English as Angel. Kinda causes questions about Angelwing immediately.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

OutofSight posted:

Yes the batteries could be (slowly) recharged by reducing the energy consumption of the support bar. Worked mostly with the better cells, you got later.
Also having the ship be in better condition helps with that: I recall that the more a ship is damaged, the more Support energy it uses by default, which I think simulates having the life support systems be overloaded and other emergency systems being used to keep the crew alive and the ship still running.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
And i think getting a better auxiliary generator helps as well.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kissaki Raid - Part 4 (View video before reading diary entries.)

Francis Delorain, Captain.

'He was a smart, brisk child. His eyes betrayed a wisdom far beyond his years... despite all that precocious knowledge, he always kept clowning around and laughing... it was pure joy to be in his company. Such sensitivity meant that life's hardships struck him particularly heavily... he often needed my support.

Later we lost contact... his parents opposed the Noah plan, and our fathers had fierce quarrels over the project, until our two families stopped talking with each other. We crossed paths in cadet school, and we were soon back to our old tricks. My father was long gone by that time, considered dead... as was I, just a few years later... we graduated from the academy together and fought side by side in the Confederate Fleet... I was left for dead near Phobos...

Many years have gone by; we've changed, as has the world. As far as I am concerned, Francis still embodies the carelessness and joy of my childhood.' (Marcus Cromwell)

Personal log of Marcus Cromwell - 24/05/2112 posted:

Decrease luminosity! And I want some music! Wagner? No thank you! I need something more relaxing... Debussy? Great. It was a tough fight... the Kissaki didn't get where they are by being weak... but still, their firepower surprised me. I'm glad Francis was here... I needed his support. No matter what they say... even a battle-hardened veteran needs his friends... real friends, who know what he expects from them, who understand his thoughts, who know his past, his virtues, his weaknesses, who see behind the uniform. Yes... it was a long time ago that Francis and I saw through each other, and we knew, no matter how hectic things got, we would be there to look out for one another. Now, once again, we venture blindly, perhaps recklessly, into the unknown. I like to think that he would be accompanying me even without company loyalty to think about.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 26, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Interesting. Kinda playing along and I got more RP (on Professional) to kit out the Angelwing, but I destroyed the Yamamoto. Been trying to figure out what drives XP for ship captains (to improve their "military/science/engineering" ratings) and RP. Near as I can tell, secondary objectives give XP (sometimes) and mission performance gives RP (ships destroyed). The manual also says priority and time influence it, but since these are elements entirely out of your control they only adjust the relative scale.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

OAquinas posted:

Been trying to figure out what drives XP for ship captains (to improve their "military/science/engineering" ratings) and RP. Near as I can tell, secondary objectives give XP (sometimes) and mission performance gives RP (ships destroyed). The manual also says priority and time influence it, but since these are elements entirely out of your control they only adjust the relative scale.
If you ever find out more, please tell me. If this game has one flaw for me, it is the obscure ship xp levels. Even with all the medals (bonus objectives) i only squeezed out two level-up for Marcus and the crew of the main story ship. (And a level for another ship we haven't seen.)

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I've had this game since it came out and haven't gotten past the seventh mission ever. I just feel like I have no control of my ships - if I try to attack smaller stuff it just maneuvers out of my firing arcs and I can't do anything about it directly. Hopefully this LP will help me be not terrible, I really love tactical space combat.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Velius posted:

I've had this game since it came out and haven't gotten past the seventh mission ever. I just feel like I have no control of my ships - if I try to attack smaller stuff it just maneuvers out of my firing arcs and I can't do anything about it directly. Hopefully this LP will help me be not terrible, I really love tactical space combat.

As loveable as Herp is, I suspect not.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
One big problem I have with this game is that the briefings don't often tell you accurately what you're up against. It's a pain to play it through without some foreknowledge of the missions, though it's much better the second time through.
It's still goddamn beautiful though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Lynneth posted:

One big problem I have with this game is that the briefings don't often tell you accurately what you're up against. It's a pain to play it through without some foreknowledge of the missions, though it's much better the second time through.
It's still goddamn beautiful though.

That's a feature, not a bug. The idea is that you need to be flexible in your loadouts and not min/max; of course if you know what you need then minmaxing gets easier.

That said, I recall one mission in the far future where while it's always a critical thing to have flak, that mission requires you to have HOLY poo poo ALL THE FLAK! AND FIGHTERS! AND MORE FLAK! or you die horribly.

Though if you have "reasonable" loadouts you'll probably eke by.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I just ran mostly-laser loadouts. I don't need to burst down your hull or your shield if I can just snipe your generators with lasers and gunships. Lasers beat everything.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

OAquinas posted:

That's a feature, not a bug. The idea is that you need to be flexible in your loadouts and not min/max; of course if you know what you need then minmaxing gets easier.

I seem to remember that my issue with that is the resource point system they use, where it's relatively easy to paint yourself into a corner early on. Buy the wrong equipment one mission, and you won't have the RP's to gear correctly for another mission.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I seem to remember that my issue with that is the resource point system they use, where it's relatively easy to paint yourself into a corner early on. Buy the wrong equipment one mission, and you won't have the RP's to gear correctly for another mission.

It's pretty hard to get a completely unworkable loadout though--there's only a few missions that massively switch it up on you. One is coming soon!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I just always mix it up. Have at least one laser, one hull cannon. some flak. some fighters. some SPEES MAHREENS. Providing you don't go all in, you should be able to muddle through.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

DatonKallandor posted:

I just ran mostly-laser loadouts. I don't need to burst down your hull or your shield if I can just snipe your generators with lasers and gunships. Lasers beat everything.

I'd love to do that but it seems like (spoilers for a few missions ahead) the Angelwing is too slow maneuvering to use lasers effectively. It mostly just spins around trying to both orient it's turrets and get line of sight on the target devices. Am I just supposed to resign myself to brute force until I get more ships?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Shukenja Beta - Part 5

Angel

Tenshi, or Angel in English, is the lead scientist of the Kissaki Shukenja Beta station. It is a fourth generation self-upgrading Artificial Intelligence with a personality, and as such is completely illegal.

The incident at the Shukenja Base seems to have left her shaken, but Professor Veltman insists that this is a common reaction of AIs who fail to protect the humans under their care. She is currently living in the Angelwing, which was named after her by the Kissaki scientists.

Personal log of Marcus Cromwell - 01/06/2112 posted:

I feel like I just fell into a mountain river. One instant, you're on the shore, watching the sparkling water, the next you're up to your neck in the raging current, dragged off into the unknown, and you can only pray that it won't end in a huge waterfall...

I'm too tired and too excited... and I am a bit disjointed. The captured ship... is wonderful... I've never seen anything like it! Its computers are so advanced, they easily beat the combined computing capacity of every computer on Earth. It is sleek, elegant, efficient. Apart from fusion and interplanetary drives, 'only' assimilation and regeneration skills are present, but 'only' means they're just the ones that could be identified by our analysts... All we to explain the phenomena are guesses....

Our new companion is mysterious as well. She is an AI, who calls herself Angel. We know little about her, but we've accepted her advice since the moment she got on board. Let's face it - we do not know a thing about her. Still, because she said so, we jumped right in the middle of an unknown wormhole. I know, it was an extremely irresponsible decision for a senior officer to make.

For some reason, however, I feel my decision was the right one... I trust the strange AI... I don't have any other option. What am I hoping for? Well, this is the only place where I don't have to put on a front, where I do not have to weigh my every word... where I can say what I think... I hope that the AI leads us to the aliens, to the world where this ship originates from. I hope that my visit isn't a precursor to the conquest of Earth and the enslavement of Humankind, like in the movies.

This document is locked with a private code. I keep official notes... no one needs to hear this.

We got out from the wormhole. I still haven't recovered from the shock. I imagined lots of things - I even feared that we might be smashed to bits on the surface of some planet... but I could not have guessed, even in my wildest dreams, that we were going to encounter the descendants of the Noah. Along with everyone on Earth, I thought the experiment resulted in a catastrophe, and that my father's dream of colonizing space was nothing more than a brash fantasy that costs hundreds of lives. I was still young when I mourned my father - the weight of the other deaths hit me later. It drove me towards some indefinable, mystical goal, where I could finally set my soul and my father's soul free... And then.... after a bizarre voyage... I have found myself here, at the Noah Colony.

My first thought was of looking into my father's eyes after all these years... for a moment, anything seemed possible. There are no miracles of course - just errors in judgement. My father is dead. He was buried with full honours, and is considered an unsurpassed hero for his superhuman efforts that launched the colony on its way towards settlement and growth. May he rest in peace!

Well, in the end the wormhole has led us to aliens - not to the aliens who have designed the Angelwing, but aliens just the same. I'm glad to report that all those movies were closer to the truth than we thought. There's even a long-running space war to complete the picture. Maybe I ought to snap up the rights before every director in the Solar System gets wind of it!

The Noah settlers soon encountered representatives of a space-savvy race, the Vardrags - or, to be more precise, the Vardrags stumbled upon the humans. The Vardrags soon realized that the settlers needed help to stay alive, and that they could get something very valuable in return - the aggressiveness of the human race and their brutal effectiveness in combat. The Vardrags are a pacifistic people, but they are at war with another race - called the Gorgs, apparently - and the arrival of the Noah was something of a blessing for them. So... we have fled our Solar System, leaving behind the Earth with its petty quarrels and disputes, and now we're serving an alien race we have never heard of before as mercenaries. I wonder, is war an omnipresent curse in this Universe? Or is it more like a disease we humans carry, infecting every new place we visit? Perhaps these are questions unworthy of a soldier... I fear however, that this soldier in unworthy of the questions.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yup. Here we are.

The trap here is there's now a new combat dynamic. Namely, shields. The game really should give you one energy shell gun gratis along with the hidron shield. As it stands, you could freely neglect to get any of them (because you have no reason to know any better) and then be nearly useless for the next mission.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Yup. Here we are.

The trap here is there's now a new combat dynamic. Namely, shields. The game really should give you one energy shell gun gratis along with the hidron shield. As it stands, you could freely neglect to get any of them (because you have no reason to know any better) and then be nearly useless for the next mission.

Yeah, I fell into that trap on my first playthrough. Thankfully, fighter superiority can fill the role of the energy shell gun but it isn't something to rely on.

Teledahn posted:

As loveable as Herp is, I suspect not.

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Academy, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Chaos, the Eldar, the Orks, the Kissaki, OSEC, and I have over 300 confirmed victories. I am trained in spatial warfare and I’m the top commander in the entirety of Spacetech. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth Solar System Universe, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker, we're on Internet3.

In all seriousness, while I'm not the best teacher of tactics I generally win more than I lose, and since the game's actually fairly static in its scenarios with few moving pieces you can at least copy what I do and win. I'm also the only person I've ever met to not have troubles with the stealth mission in the game. Yes, there is a mandatory space stealth mission and I actually kinda love it.

PurpleXVI posted:

This is my biggest issue with the game. Normally I do as Veloxyll does and I diversify my loadout especially early on, but it's also vital in certain missions to spec into certain bits of gear.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
You destroyed the platforms before you could see, but they actually fire at the alien vessel instead of you, charging its weapons faster.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
One thing of note is that the Commandos can be saved: if they are given the order to pull out when the screaming starts, they will manage to evacuate and have special dialogue where they tell what was going on and be avaiable for the next mission.

Additionally I think the way equipping the ship doesn't allow any refunds is due to one of the unique features of the Angelwing that is mentioned in its description.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I am definitely in on this! Been interested in the game for a while but never took the time to play it and am too busy with other things to do so anytime soon.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This is my biggest issue with the game. Normally I do as Veloxyll does and I diversify my loadout especially early on, but it's also vital in certain missions to spec into certain bits of gear.

I think i used for the big ships (like the Angelwing cruiser and above) universal weapon layouts good against hull and shields and equipped the two small capital ships with all the lasers.

The only big change for my fleet was near the very end of the game, where i switched some heavy weapon slots on the cruisers and detroyers for long range rockets. Missile massacre with the endgame tier missiles and energy bombs is a very viable tactic for a certain endgame mission.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
My first run through I went with universal loadout -- get some shield breakers, some hull breakers, some lasers -- and most missions were winnable.

I ran into trouble couple of times, but I didn't have to change my loadout, just play better. Admittedly, I also spent 20 minutes in one mission plinking away on an enemy, while they couldn't breach my shields, so it definitely wasn't optimal. :v:

Second time through, I ran more focused loadouts and the game got a lot easier -- even without per-mission loadouts, once you figure out what weapon combinations are good, you can just stick them on everything.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Herp, I appreciate you doing all these crazy space games and off beat stuff. I also really appreciate that you crank out the updates and make them pretty frequent and not once a week or whatever. Keep it up!

I'm glad to see this game played again because I thought I was the only person in the world who had played it, let alone heard of it. I never did finish it as a kid because of some mission where I just got mercilessly crushed and welp never went back.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I dunno if I'm just awful at this, but it seems the higher difficulties make the game brutally harder. Like, pretty sure it's on medium and all my spaceboats hulls are made of tissue paper. 4 or 5 hits and everyone legs it for the escape pods. And even without shields lasers seem somewhat disappointing. Preferring the heavies for greater shield pen.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

I dunno if I'm just awful at this, but it seems the higher difficulties make the game brutally harder. Like, pretty sure it's on medium and all my spaceboats hulls are made of tissue paper. 4 or 5 hits and everyone legs it for the escape pods. And even without shields lasers seem somewhat disappointing. Preferring the heavies for greater shield pen.

There's no good documentation as to what they do to make the harder levels harder--except the first missions in the Stiletto. On easy you have armor for both hull and devices. On Normal this is reduced, and on Pro it's like you're wearing nothing at all there's no resistance to damage. The upside is, that goes for the bad guys as well.

To get the full benefit of lasers you need a ship that can keep its guns in the firing path of the bad guys' devices. This is not the Stiletto or the Angelwing.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

OAquinas posted:

To get the full benefit of lasers you need a ship that can keep its guns in the firing path of the bad guys' devices. This is not the Stiletto or the Angelwing.

This is SPARTA.

On a more serious note:

I knew about the armor stats on the bigger ships (that is why the small guns are so ineffective agianst the big boats), but i didn't think that they would be taken away in the harder gameplay modes. I just thought, that the ai would get damage multipliers and done.

• Locked thread